Search Unity

[RELEASED] Space RTS - Starter Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NullPointerGames, Oct 2, 2017.

1. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

This Starter Kit was made to provide a quick and easy way to build any Real Time Strategy game but specially for anyone with a Space setting. Fits perfect for beginners or as prototype for a look and feel of any amazing space RTS you have in mind.
    Version 1.3 Available now at:
    AssetStore

Resources:
    Introduction
    Update Guidelines
    Code Reference
    Demo:
    Downloadable Demo
    Want more:
    Visit my website https://nullpointergames.com
    Features:
    • Fully configurable RTS Camera.
    • Units customized through ScriptableObjects
    • Camera Pan With Borders.
    • Units Selection with Single click.
    • Units Selection with a dragging box ui.
    • Units additive selection thought click + holding Ctrl key.
    • Double click selects multiple units of the same type within the camera bounds.
    • Units movement in group.
    • Smooth ship movement.
    • Unity's Built In NavMesh Integrated.
    • Static Structures capable of build ships.
    • Builder ship capable to build structures.
    • Freighters capable of collect resources.
    • Mineral Warehouse for storage.
    • The units built has cost of construction.
    • Resource sources that can be depleted.
    • The units to build can be queued in the builder.
    • Simple but functional UI
    and many more...
    and also many more to come...

And now also available some integration Packs:

Pathfinding Project for Space RTS

Behavior Designer for Space RTS

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    Candac59 and Novotec like this.
  2. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

This will be the last week with this price, next week will be raised to U$S 30 so take advantage of the low price!
    Also this night i will upload the SpaceRTS version 1.2.1. It has just a bunch of bugs fixed.
    Hope it will please all of you as the pack is becoming.

3. Mark_T

Mark_T

Hi,
    Your kit looks interesting. It has a 4x game feeling, which is really nice. :)
    On the Asset store page you mention: "Doesn't include combat system or networking.".
    No plans at all for such features?
    I'm no coder, and planning to integrate Node Canvas/Behavior Designer,... I see it as a great idea.
    Maybe "integrating" your kit with something like Playmaker or uScript might awake more interest from non-coders. uScript has a free version if I'm not mistaken. I.m saying this because having some hight level nodes, without the need for reflection, used to customize your own gameplay, UI or mechanics, might go a long way.
    I noticed that game developers are tempted to create their own "managers" which are following their own vision, and as a consequence, takes away some of your potential freedom.
    If not a Trello webpage, something like a feature roadmap might be useful.
    Thanks and keep up the good work!

4. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Yeah, i should change that for "Doesn't include combat system or networking at the moment".
    It's in my plans but those are complex features and still need to figure out the best approach for both of them.
    As you said, right now i'm in a stage of "integration". Meaning that reinventing the wheel i think is a terrible waste of time and effort and out there are really excellent pack systems already dealing with those problems.
    A* Pathfinding Project, Node Canvas & Behaviour Designer are just the tip of the iceberg. Playmaker or uScript are really powerful tools too so i can imagine integrating them too.
    But i'm a step by step man, i really don't like to do promises that i can't keep, that's why i don't have a complete roadmap, but you aren't the first person to ask for that so maybe i can change my mind on that and do something about it.
    Thanks for the kind words and sure, there's more to come!

5. Mark_T

Mark_T

Purchased your kit and to my surprise I found the main scripts packed into a .dll.
    Not much freedom for custom changes.
    Any chances for the full code release?
    Thanks!

6. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

of course, just send me the invoice number to my email (nullpointer2017@gmail.com) and i will send to you a zip file with all the library scripts. I'm planning ina future to set the scripts that are most likely to be customized outside of the library, like SelectionInput and the RTSCamera. What do you think about this?

7. Mark_T

Mark_T

I will email you. Thanks!
    To be honest, it's not very convenient to send an email every time things change. I would rather prefer a more public option. Maybe a web address to insert the invoice serial number and download the latest version might be a good option. In case you still choose to keep the .dll version, it would be more convenient for everyone.

8. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

And I'm already replied to you, Sr. I'll keep in mind your suggestion but it will more convenient that if you have some problem with the library, maybe a bug, or a missing exposed property of any other missing feature just to tell me through this forum or through a personal mail and i will try to fix it so it can be shared to everyone.

9. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Tonight I will be sending to unity the order for the price change, next, it will cost U$S 30.

So hurry up! take advantage of the low price in the last few hours!

10. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

Hi NullPointer! Great asset! Would you happen to have a roadmap for it's development?

11. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Hi! At the moment my goal it's to do some assets integrations, like the A* Pathfinding Project, Behaviour Designer, & Node Canvas. After that i will try to do the input compatible with mobile devices (android, ios, etc).
    That were things that I've promise to some people so it will happen. no matter what. :)

The next thing probably will be to integrate uScript and/or PlayMaker and to start to analize the possibilty to do the attack feature. so, there are still a lot of things to do. Anyway, this isn't a closed asset, i want to add more and more things in all my spare times.

12. Mazak

Mazak

Hi,
    Why are you hiding code in a dll?

13. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Hi there, the intention is not to hide, it's just a way to separate the core API from the actual game template. The original intention was to reuse that dll in multiples asset store template packages, but I wasn't the time yet to complete another ones (still, i have a couple in my head). That way i can share the resources and any required fix will be eventually applied to every project.

Anyway, if you have any request or suggestion to expose some missing property or method or anything that allows you to do a better customization I will be more than happy to make it for you due i'm always willing to improve the pack. and additionally if you still feel that this can be a problem for your development times of course you can ask me through a email and i will share to you the scripts without any doubt.

14. bullardo

bullardo

Maybe include the source for the DLL so advanced users can customize it to their liking?

15. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Yeah, I realize that it's annoying to have to request the source files by mail so I've chosen to add to my web page a link to the source files that will be visible through a invoice check like it does a lot of other publishers with their extra features. I'm starting to investigate how to add this so i really don't know when it will be available but hope be soon.

In the meanwhile the email method is still available.

Mazak likes this.
  16. Mazak

Mazak

Request sent.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  17. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Replied.

Excelent new year for everyone!

Mazak likes this.
  18. Mazak

Mazak

Thank you,

Happy New Year

19. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Oh, I was so ready to buy this, but no combat system is a deal breaker. Networking would have pretty much sealed it.
    Having everything in a DLL would make it very difficult to add to. Please show us a roadmap, even if it only shows the planned features with no set dates.
    Mark

20. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Hi! I missed your post, sorry for the late answer,

I'm moving in that direction. Right now i'm developing the version 1.2.4 that mostly will have bug fixes, and code mainteinance. Also will include some basic helper editors to make more easy to create scenes (Helping with the correct setup).

But most importantly i'm also developing the branch for the version 1.3 that will include combat system. Right now i'm just testing some exploding ships but i'm in that exact direction.

You will need to wait a little longer for the Networking feature.

The Pathfinding Project integration was just aproved by the AssetStore team and i'm assuming that the Behavior Designer Integration it's close to be aproved also because was uploaded almost at the same date (almost a month ago, yeah the aprove times for new assets are very long right now).

I've also promissed to some people touch support for mobile and NodeCanvas integration but I'm late with those features due other commitments that i have.

That's basically the report that i have about what's going on in the behind scenes of the Space RTS - Starter Pack. ;)

Have a happy new year!

21. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

That sounds excellent! I will watch this thread and likely pounce once version 1.3 is available, if it doesn't rely on DLL's. I can always add networking myself if the code is exposed.

Thanks, and continued success in 2018!
    Mark

22. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Cheers!

And by the way,

Behavior Designer Integration is available now: link
    and also Pathfinding Project Integration: link

Hope you can find it useful!

Mazak likes this.
  23. Codexehow

Codexehow

I will buy this when combat etc is implemented. I would gladly pay up to $100.

The DLLs are an issue though as I'm sure I would want to fiddle with stuff.

24. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Hi! The source script of the DLLs are available to you and anyone who ask for if you send through mail your buyers voucher code.

Anyway, once i manage to close the 1.2.4 version i'll work in the webpage to do some sort of automatization of all this annoying process.

Stay tune, I'm using all my extra time to improve the pack and to develop the combat feature.
    Cheers!

25. Mazak

Mazak

One of the issues with the scripts being separate the prefabs don't work properly - unless I am doing something wrong. I cannot simply remove the dll and drop in the source and everything will work. All the links are destroyed.

Why are you requiring the use of the dll?

Yes, I know we simply request it and you gladly supply it. What are you trying to protect?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  26. Candac59

Candac59

Hello ! Firstly I want to thank you for this asset. I have been waiting for this for a very long time and thanks to you today I am launching a brand new project. I have some questions for you.

1) Is it possible to consider the possibility of 3D displacement?

2) Do you intend to implement a mechanical upgrade of the station, ships ...?

3) A search tree?

4) When do you think the combat system will be available, approximately?

5) If I understand correctly, the "Behavior Designer for Space RTS" extension is used to create an AI? Is it mandatory to have the "Behavior Designer" asset?

6) Same question for the "Pathfinding Project for Space RTS" extension except that I do not understand what it is for?

I would surely have other questions later but I do not want to scare you today: D

cordially

27. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It seems that unity have a strange way to reference monobehavior scripts inside of a dll. once the dll is deleted, it doesn't recognize that the missing scripts are still there but outside of the dll. I'm thinking into write a tool to fix all that missing references. Hang it there, i'll do it as soon as i can (probably it will come along with the new version).

Hi there! Thanks for the kind words. Here re the answers:

1) Of course its possible. I've tried to write the code as much modular as possible. A 3D movement will imply a new position handler, a new navigation system (that supports a 3d pathfinding) and most importantly time to work on it (there are other important features missing right now). But yes. I think it can be done.

2) You mean like an Upgrade Tree or similar? It would be nice, for sure.

3) I'm lost here. What do you mean by a search tree. You mean Research Tree? same as above. It's a nice to have. Right now i'm focus in the new version and the combat.

4) I have a lot of extra commitments right now but i'm confident that it can be released around march or at least i can release a beta version so all of you can check it out.

5) Of course is not necesary. In fact, it's more like a visual scripting tool better than a AI designer. Yes, it can be used to create some kind of AI, but is not the only way.

6) All of that integration packs are not mandatory, they are alternatives for some of the systems. Pathfinding Project it's an alternative to the native NavMesh of Unity and it has a lot of extra features. But it's only for the people that it's used to this tool or it wants to exploit some of the special features that this tool has. So, if you don't really now much about Pathfinding Project you probably don't need it. One example, I read at the Pathfinding Project forum that some users ask to the author about implementing a pathfinding for 3D displacements. I think they have some work arounds but is something to worth reading. (Same thing for the Behavior Designer, it's just an alternative for what Space RTS already provides but maybe some users prefer this tool)

That's a long reply. Hope i managed to solve your doubts.

28. Candac59

Candac59

1) Ok, I'm glad to hear you say that. The only thing that scares me is that a 3D shift is not implemented (very sincerely I do not think I have the skills to do this myself) and this is essential for my project. Fingers crossed

2) It's more or less that. A station upgrade system such as adding a corvette production module to the station, that allows the station to produce corvette (while basic without being upgrader it could not) and that it adds a visual extension at the station (to have a bigger station!)
    Same example for the ships, change the type of weapon of a ship and that it affects the combat parameters of the ship and changes the weapon visually)

3) Excuse me, I made a translation error. Yes, I'm talking about search tree.

4) Super thanks

5) So if I buy your "Behavior Designer for Space RTS" tool I do not have to buy this asset:
    In this case it is another problem because I have a large error in the console when importing your tool.

6) Thank you, I will learn about a possible 3D displacement. Same for the AI, in fact I did not know his 2 asset before.

Sorry to answer you again a long message. I'm boring but I want to be sure to understand everything.

29. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Yes, yes. You need to have Behavior Designer. It's stated at the very top of the package.
    "Behavior Designer for SpaceRTS" it requires "Behavior Designer" and "Space RTS".

So if you are going to buy "Behavior Designer for Space RTS" you need to buy first the other two packs. that's why it's an integration pack. I can't include it by myself because belongs to other developer.

The same thing happens with the "Pathfinding Project for Space RTS" you also need to have "A* Pathfinding Project" in order to work properly. If you don't include those packs to the project it will throw errors.

Hope i been clear there.

Candac59 likes this.
  30. Candac59

Candac59

Thanks you :)

31. Mazak

Mazak

Awesome

32. Ryry36

Ryry36

This is great! as soon as the Combat update is out I will get this!

33. Candac59

Candac59

34. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Hello! well, you already found FXThrusters.cs, it's the script that it has the list of thrusters fx, right now it's a list of MeshRenderers but you can change it for the script that controls each individual thrusters in the pack. I can imagine that it should be LineRenderer.

Later you need to change the method RefreshHalosIntensity()
    Here you need to do a foreach across each LineRenderer (instead of the haloMaterials) and change each line renderer color, or lenght or whatever property you need to change to make the thuster strong or weak.

All the rest of the script it's not necesary i think, you can comment it. If you are still stuck with that, just mail me and maybe i can help you more specificaly.

I'm almost finishing the version 1.2.4, it will contain (among other things) the dll replacer feature. I think a lot people will be glad with that one. Sorry for the delay, i only have the weekends right now due other commitments. The combat feature will be here, i don't know how much will take but will be a reality.

35. simonifans

simonifans

amazing love the look of the pack, the version 1.2.4 does that include the full battle system, or is there still work to be done on this part.

Thanks

36. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Hello! The pack includes Movement in group, build of structures and units, resource gathering, simple ui and a very very simple AI (just build some freighters and start to collect some resources). Combat system is still missing. I hope you still consider that it's worth it.

Thanks for asking and for the support!

tykematt likes this.
  37. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Ey folks! some user just let me know that were a bug in the source files preventing to replace correctly the dll. I've just fixed it and upload it again to the drive folder. Should work again now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If someone missed the new feature that allows the correct replacement of the dll for its source files, here are the instructions: link

38. Mazak

Mazak

Null,
    Dude your wasting our time with the source or the dll.

As you add features, you will leave us behind because we will have to delete the source, then download the DLL with the new features, run the dll extractor thingie, then we replace our source then fix it all again.

This could have been an awesome project but your making some major mistakes.

Please reconsider what you are doing.

39. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Sorry again for the throubles, I'm doing my best to keep everyone happy.

Sadly changing now could be a catastrofe for the rest of the users that doesn't require the source files. The mistake was made too early in the development. Now I know what kind of files can be stored in a dll, what kinds cause throubles and when is best to keep the sources.

I'm not adding more features inside of the dll, if i require for some reason to add something it would be no monobehaviours.

The remaining feature it would be Combat and it's going to be plain scripts outside of the dll.

If you feel that there are other major mistakes please send me all to my mail, i'll take a look and try to fix it.

Anyway, about combat, i already have some exploding ships. Probably this weekend i'll do some progress implementing the ui to show the health of the ships and to define some sort of area to remove and restore health.
    After that i'll focus on repair units and weapons.

40. Arkolis

Arkolis

Awesome project, my question: can you tell me what scripts I need to start looking at to integrate a "snap" building unit. Similar to the static buildings but snaps only to specific locations. I would like to make space elevators around smaller moons and structures for my project.

*Edit - I think I started to find the right scripts to begin editing. Again Awesome pack!

Thank you again,
    ~Ark

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  41. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Hello there,

You can start with BuildLocationValidator it's a script that does exactly what you are looking for, that script finally uses the SpatialSystem (given a mouse world location in the plane) to obtain a valid point that is close enough to the first one. Maybe a more general solution could be to override SpatialSystem.

Check for your self and if you need further help you can contact me at my mail.

42. Arkolis

Arkolis

Made a quick script to setup following with the camera, there are some jitter issues when zooming while follow is active but not really sure where that code is at work. Thought I would share for those who are using the built in camera.
    Make a new script called "SetFollowUnit" > Paste Code into it > Attach it to the camera ( I use Mouse2, works great).

Code (CSharp):
    1. using GameBase;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class SetFollowUnit : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public GameBase.RTSKit.RTSCamera RTSCam;
    7.     public SpaceRTSKit.Core.GroupController GrpCtl;
    8.     public SelectionSystem SelSystem;
    9.     public KeyCode FollowCam;
    10.     private bool follow = false;
    12.     // Update is called once per frame
    13.     void Update () {
    15.         if (SelSystem.HasSelectedEntities == true) {
    16.             follow = true;
    17.         } else {
    18.             follow = false;
    19.             RTSCam.transformToFollow = null;
    20.         }
    22.         if (Input.GetKeyDown (FollowCam)) {
    23.             if(follow){
    24.                 RTSCam.transformToFollow = GrpCtl.entities [0].transform;
    25.             } else {
    26.                 RTSCam.transformToFollow = null;
    27.             }
    28.         }
    29.     }
    30. }

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    NullPointerGames likes this.
  43. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Hey People! just let in you now that i've almost done the combat system. I'm writing some comments in the code and doing some final test. But it's almost here! So hurry up and take advantage of the low price!

Here are some images of how it's looking so far: DontLoseYourBase.PNG NewMisteriousNebulas.PNG DefendYourSelf.PNG NewDangerousNebulas.PNG

Attached Files:

44. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Also, i'll try to upload the binaries of the new version with all the changes so you can test for your self.

Stay Tune! NewEpicBattles.PNG

45. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Already uploaded the update so the asset store team can check it out!

Here is the demo so you can have your own impression: Demo v1.3

As always, comments, questions and concerns here or to my mail: nullpointer2017@gmail.com

46. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Space RTS v1.3 Available now at AssetStore !!

Now includes Combat !!

Enjoy!!

Langor likes this.
  47. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Could you include a 1st Person/3rd Person Camera option for FPS/RTS games to fly fighters and walk around carrier ships and even control them and fly them or have A.I control them and a way of making it so you could order individual units about as well? And possibly to land and take off and drive about on actual planets?

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  48. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Hi! A swich between 1st and 3rd person camera is out of scope for now, but if you found out there a camera asset supporting that i'll be happy to help you to integrate it.

About the carrier ship, it's already in my mind since a while so there is a great chance to be included.

Sadly, take off and land in planets is out if scope too, sorry i can't be able to be more helpful.
    Let me know if you have more questions.

49. Vampyr_Engel

Vampyr_Engel

Well I have some scripts where a player can run around a sphere and also an A.I but the A.I is very crude at the moment and I have a 1st person and 3rd Person Camera Script so if you want them I can give them to you

50. NullPointerGames

NullPointerGames

Seems that you are in the right track, have you tried to integrate that by yourself? what kind of problems do you encounter? maybe we can continue though mail, please write to me to nullpointer2017@gmail.com with all your concrete questions about your integration.