Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] SoundManagerPro: Easy Game Music Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AntiLunchBox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey MoribitoMT,

There's a two ways you can do this. Both require the use of 'SoundManager.SetIgnoreLevelLoad' which ignores the level loading AI.

First Method:
    Use SetIgnoreLevelLoad in Start() of your first scene. Since it has already loaded the first soundconnection at that time, it won't automatically load another from then on out. You can either turn it back on later, or use 'SoundManager.PlayConnection' to change it.

Second Method:
    Use SetIgnoreLevelLoad in Awake, and then use PlayConnection whenever you want the music to start.

There are two overloads to PlayConnection (you can find the specifics in the documentation). One takes a string that references a SoundConnection ON the SoundManager already. The second takes a SoundConnection object (you can use 'SoundManager.CreateSoundConnection' to make that).

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else.

-ALB

2. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

AntiLunchBox,

SetIgnoreLevelLoad does the job, thank you very much :D

3. fgielow

fgielow

Hello! I just bought the asset, but I am not receiving SongCallBack when the Play method ends.

For instance, this is my script:

I receive this log: Debug.Log("Intro at "+Time.time);
    But not this one: Debug.Log("2 ou 3 at "+Time.time);

Am I doing something wrong?

As a side note, I always receive this error on my console (which does not seem to influence on anything, but..):

EDIT: Note that I also tried setting the OnSongEnd and OnCrossOutBegin variables.

EDIT2: Further, I see this has playmaker integration, but I did not find the playmaker actions. Where can I find them? I need to download something separately?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

hey fgielow!

Hope I can help. As for your first issue, I need you to do something for me. On the SoundManager prefab, can you check "Show Debug Info"? Then tell me what it says when you are testing this out. I can't look at it right now, but I'll have time to test out your code later tonight.

As for the error on your console, do you have any other plugins running? I've never seen that error reported and it doesn't seem to originate from SoundManagerPro. However, it could be that multiple plugins are trying to query the internet. SoundManagerPro automatically checks for updates once you start up Unity (if there is an update available it'll notify you in the console so it's not annoying). If you have several other plugins that do that, there might be some conflicts. I'll keep my eye out for that error though.

As for the playmaker integration, there is a .unitypackage in the Extensions folder. It should be called something like PLAYMAKER_SMPRO_INTEGRATION.unitypackage

Let me know your results.
    -ALB

5. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Oh fgielow!

I remember somebody else asking something similar. Keep in mind that OnSongEnd applies to the song your are playing with that function, not to the song that was playing previously. You'll have to assign OnSongEnd manually before calling SoundManager.Play if you want it to be like that.

-ALB

6. fgielow

fgielow

Hey! Thanks for the quick help.

Well, in the end I changed my script to http://pastebin.com/u2FUrCRQ, so I do not need the OnSongEnd callbacks and that solves pretty much all.
    However, I do not have an "Extensions" folder, I has checked for it before. I downloaded and imported SoundManagerPro directly from the asset store of unity3d, I have imported everything I could, but I have no Extensions folder at all. Is this an issue? If this is abnormal could you upload just the extensions folder to me?

Thanks very much!
    Great plugin, by the way :)

Fernando.

7. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey Fernando,

I'll check out the callbacks anyway because that should work.

As for the Extensions folder, it's more specifically located here:
    'Assets/SoundManagerPro/Scripts/Extensions/PLAYMAKER_SMPRO_INTEGRATION.unitypackage'

If you look at the Package Contents section here:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/9209

You'll see the folder structure.

-ALB

8. fgielow

fgielow

Oh, I got it now, sorry for the dumb question regarding that. :p

Anyways, the events for finishing playing sounds are not working here, indeed (or I am using them wrong)..
    I now tried using them with playmaker, as in this flow: http://cl.ly/image/47210g1p361Q

But the "city" event would never be called after playing the "1 - Intro" piece (hence never reaching State 2).

If I am doing something wrong, please let me know. If I can achieve such behavior with your solution, damn, it would be amazing for our team!

Keep the good work =)

Fernando.

9. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey all!

In light of our new plugin coming soon, we will be opening up our own forums soon! Then you can search for issues.

-ALB

10. fgielow

fgielow

In addition to my previous comment, is it easy to extend the current playmaker actions to send also the crossfade events?
    I see they are implemented but on playmaker I can only select the event for the finished song. Speaking of which, does it work as expected there? I had no luck playing with it here :/

Thanks!

Regards,
    Fernando.

11. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey Fernando,

I can look into the crossfade events in playmaker. It would be as simple as making a custom action and hooking up a function to a crossfade event in OnEnter. When that function gets called, just have it call a playmaker event that you set. I can get more detail on that after I fix the event system in SMPro.

It seems that an update a few updates back broke the event system, gah. I'm still fixing it, but it's taking longer than expected. I'm taking a good look into it tonight. I'll keep you updated.

-ALB

12. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey Fernando,

I fixed the problem with the events. It should fix the problem in PlayMaker as well. If you can PM me or email me [at antilunchbox@gmail.com] your invoice ID, I can send you the fix right away. Or you can wait for the update to go onto the Asset Store. Whichever works,

-ALB

13. fgielow

fgielow

Hey! Just mailed you. Thanks very much. =)

14. FrozenTarzan

FrozenTarzan

Hi AntiLunchBox,

As I read in the Changelog the following bug should be fixed already:
    Unfortunately I'm experiencing some crack/click sounds when turning the volume of the music down to zero. I think every time a crossfade or music-piece change would happen I hear those sounds instead.

My setup is pretty simple: Just a few SoundConnections for each scene. I set the SFX and Music Volumes right after initialization.

Thanks for your help!

15. BTStone

BTStone

Hey there.

I just wanted to know if this behaviour is intended:

- I have a NGUI-Buttonand it has an UIButton Sound-Script attached.
    - I have NO SoundManager in my scene, no prefab, no other music is playing and no other sounds are played
    - When I hit the Button, the sound is playing
    -> as soon I hit the button "magicaly" the SoundManager-Prefab occurs in the scene with no Info at all (no listed tracks or soundeffects in the Inspector-Window of the SoundManager)

I mean, it doesn't bother me, it doesn't break the game, it just something I observed right now.

Thanks in Advance!

16. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

I try to integrate the soundmanager pro into my existing project but I have a weird issue:

I can't select my scenes and set up sound connections for them. I get a message "all enabled scenes have soundconnections already" even though I haven't done anything with soundmanager pro yet.

Any idea what went wrong here?

17. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey FrozenTarzan,

I'll look into it tonight but it sounds like a weird bug. I haven't seen it on my end, are you sure you are updated to the most recent version? That fix applied to an accidental divide by 0. It would set the volume to infinity (causing the blip sound), but then you couldn't change it afterwards. So from your description, it seems like a slightly different issue. Can you reproduce this in the demo scene? Can you give me step by step instructions to reproduce it there? Otherwise I'll be shooting in the dark.

-ALB

18. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey BTStone,

Because SoundManagerPro uses the SingletonPerfect package, it automatically creates itself whenever it is referenced (do it won't break your game if you open up a different scene and it doesn't exist). So in short, that is intended behavior if you don't have the SoundManager in the scene. It creating itself will not occur if it already exists though. So if you normally start the app from the start, it won't be a problem.

So no need to worry about it!

-ALB

19. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey gian-reto alig,

You can't select your scenes because you don't have them added to your build settings. Go to File > Build Settings, and add your scenes to your build.

-ALB

20. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Oh also FrozenTarzan,

It would be helpful to provide your OS, Unity version, and build platform just in case it's platform specific.

-ALB

21. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Thanks, that worked.... but now I have another Problem:

What I try to do is create a Playlist where a single Soundfile is played once (the "Music Start" Track), while after that the Tracks are looped in order (the Main Tracks)...
    How do I do that?

22. FrozenTarzan

FrozenTarzan

* Windows 7
    * Unity 4.2
    * Where can I find my installed SoundManagerPro Version?
    * Why is the platform relevant? It happens in the editor when I hit play!?

Right now I'm building a sample scene that shows the bug. I'll send you a private message with the project, when I'm finished.

EDIT: I've sent it to you. Notice that I use Playmaker in the project, but I'm not using any special Playmaker interaction with SoundManagerPro. I have to admit that I'm getting annoyed after working with a lot of different Unity plugins for a few weeks now. I had to create a lot of test/sample/reproduce scenes caused by a number of bugs. So I'm not sure why there might be a problem with this simple Playmaker interaction, which only loads a scene. Maybe the problem is the level-loading call and the "DontDestroyOnLoad" from Playmaker. Maybe some Singleton/Prefab/"I'm already in scene" bug?! Good luck and thanks! :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  23. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey FrozenTarzan,

I'll take a closer look at what you sent me tonight, however I do remember a bug reported previously--I'm not sure if the bug is fixed on PlayMaker yet. The PlayMaker LoadLevel action actually causes the LoadLevel function to be called twice somehow. This caused some issues with SoundManagerPro automatically using level load, since it would try to play the SoundConnection twice in the same frame (sounds like that's whats probably making issues for you). At the moment, I don't know if it got fixed yet. You could manually use PlayConnection("level name string") or the PlayConnection Action. Unfortunately that is a hold up on PlayMaker's end, hopefully they can fix it. I'll check the release notes to see if it's fixed later tonight. Sorry you're having so many issues!

-ALB

24. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Also, the platform isn't necessarily relevant. There was an editor bug a long time ago that only happened on Mac--only because Unity was treating OnApplicationPause and OnApplicationFocus differently on PC and MAC. That's long been fixed, but I ask for it just in case.

You can find your version of SoundManagerPro when you go to the Asset Store. Go to your downloads, and you'll find the version there.

25. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey Gian,

There's a number of ways to do this. I would suggest this way:

What you want to do is use the event system in this case. So create a 'custom' SoundConnection for your Main Tracks (say that SoundConnection is named "MyCustom"). In a script in your scene, add a function that takes no parameters:

Code (csharp):
    2. void PlayMainTracks()
    3. {
    4.      SoundManager.PlayConnection("MyCustom");
    5. }
    In Start() of that same script, use:

Code (csharp):
    1. SoundManager.Play(MusicStartAudioClip, false, PlayMainTracks);
    That will play the MusicStartAudioClip to start. When the song ends, PlayMainTracks will get called. PlayMainTracks will then play the custom soundconnection you made. Voila! It's done!

Now, in the recent version of SoundManagerPro there is a bug with the event system. I have fixed that and it's coming up in the next update. If you send me a PM with your invoice ID, I'll send you the updated fix so you can download it without having to wait.

The other events you can use are: OnSongEnd, OnSongBegin, OnCrossOutBegin, OnCrossInBegin

You can assign them like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. SoundManager.Instance.OnSongEnd += PlayMainTracks;
    -ALB

26. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

@FrozenTarzan

I asked Alex on the forums to look into it. Hopefully I can get a reply soon.

-ALB

27. FrozenTarzan

FrozenTarzan

When I go to my plugins I find a long list of entries, but no specific information about my own version. When I select a plugin I get to a page where it says "import" so i guess that Unity knows that I already have downloaded a version. But I'm not sure if this version always shows the currently installed version or the updated version number from the server/internet.
    $SoundManagerProVersion.png

Thanks!

Regarding the platform: I've built it for Windows. The executable as well as the editor still have the crack-sounds. My previous build was for android.

28. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey Frozen,

If on the download page it doesn't say 'Update Available', it means you're up to date. However, the store sometimes does get a bit funky with checking the version. What you can do is, in Unity, go to Window > AntiLunchBox > Check For Updates.

If you don't have that option, then you are not up to date.

29. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

I also just got an email from the Asset Store saying they pushed a new update, so things may have changed. Using Check For Updates is probably your best option.

-ALB

30. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Thanks for the reply

I'm not in a hurry... when can I expect the newer version to arrive in the asset store? If the wait is not too long, I'll just wait until then.
    Else the described solution sounds good. Will try it out as soon as I have the fixed version.

31. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey gian,

It usually takes the asset store team about a week to review updates. It depends how backlogged they are.

-ALB

32. FVANtom

FVANtom

I just bought this plugin. It seems to work pretty well except for 1 thing. I have a number of loopable music tracks and I assign one to each scene via a connection by default.

Sometimes I want to crossfade to another song based on a certain event in the game via:
    // Plays the clip by crossing out the current playing SoundConnection.
    // It will not resume on it's own.
    public static void Play(AudioClip clip2play, bool loop)

But I don't want the loopable tracks to crossfade with themselves if they start another itteration. How can I do this? How do I configure the cross fade parameter?

33. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey guys!

I've been a bit busy with the new plugin I'm making but I just submitted it to the asset store last night. SO, I'll be able to give more support to SMPro again now that I have free time. I hope you will check it out (link) as I believe it'll be extremely helpful to iOS users. And plus, you can sell your own custom presets for money =].

I'll let you guys know when it gets approved!

-ALB

34. BTStone

BTStone

Hey ALB,

you have any news about the thing with PlayMaker and the LevelLoading-Stuff?

35. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey BTStone,

Sorry I was a little slow to respond, for some reason the forums are no longer alerting me of responses to this thread. So I have to periodically check to see if anybody replies. Anyways, I'm still following up on that issue with Alex. Will have an answer soon. Sorry for the wait!

-ALB

36. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey all, version 2.6.7 is live!

Changelog in 2.6.7
    • Fix for event system ( which in turn also fixed the event system in the PlayMaker integration )
    • Added SFX Group actions to PlayMaker support

Still working on the PlayMaker double loadlevel issue with Alex.

-ALB

37. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey FrozenTarzan,

Would you mind sending me an example scene with this problem? Including the files you're using etc? For some reason this problem is terribly inconsistent for me right now. I accidentally lost the project I had it reproducible in, and I can't recreate it now. It would be a great help if you could send me something. Thanks

-ALB

38. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey BTStone,

As I just asked FrozenTarzan, it would be great if I could get something from you as well. Would you mind sending me an example scene with this problem? Including the files you're using etc? For some reason this problem is terribly inconsistent for me right now. I accidentally lost the project I had it reproducible in, and I can't recreate it now. It would be a great help if you could send me something. Thanks

-ALB

39. BTStone

BTStone

Hm, there is no big deal in recreating it. Empty scene, Soundmanager and Playmaker. Nothing more. Loading the scene with the actions. Nothing special :)

40. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Well I was looking for something a bit more specific, like:

-is your crossfade duration set to 0
    -are you only using one track that is set to play over and over again

41. BTStone

BTStone

Uh, well, I didn't experience any difference changing these settings (like the crossfade duration)
    And yes, I'm using only one track per scene which is playing over and over again.

42. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Oh actually FrozenTarzan,

I just remembered you had sent me a project. I figured out the bug from that. I also noticed a couple things wrong with the set up. You shouldn't make the SoundManager a PlayMaker FSM. It already won't destroy on load so you don't need to set the DontDestroyMe action on it.

As for your fix,
    The volume is indeed getting set to a 'NaN', which is causing the blip.
    '
    To fix it, in SoundManager_Internal.cs, there are functions Crossin, Crossout, Crossfade, CrossoutAll.

The problem is that the start max music volume is 0, so it's trying to do 0 / 0 -- which returns a NaN >.<

So in each of those functions replace this line in the while loop:
    Code (csharp):
    1. volumePercent = maxMusicVolume / startMaxMusicVolume;
    with this:
    Code (csharp):
    2.             if(startMaxMusicVolume == 0)
    3.                 volumePercent = 1f;
    4.             else
    5.                 volumePercent = maxMusicVolume / startMaxMusicVolume;
    And that will fix it. I'll include it in the next update

-ALB

43. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey guys, also in the next update will be a new feature that will preload your next audio track for you. This will really help with looping tracks by helping them remain gapless.

-ALB

44. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey BTStone,

After fixing two other issues it seems like I'm not getting the PlayMaker problem. Here's what I did that works:

-Have 1 scene
    -Add SoundManager to the scene
    -Created ContinuousPlayThrough SoundConnection for the scene using 3 songs, cross duration 2 seconds.
    -Have my MainCamera as a PlayMaker FSM
    -Placed a Collider on the Main camera
    -Move the center of the collider so it's in front of the camera
    -Added a MOUSE UP event to the camera that goes to a second state
    -The second state calls LoadLevel, so it loads the same level we're in
    -Clicked Play
    -Upon reaching the second Song, I click the screen (where the collider is)
    -It reloads the level and starts over at the first song (no weird sounds or anything)

If that causes weird behavior for you with what you have, then I'll know that it's fixed with the two fixes I just put in. Either way I'll submit and we can see if the problem still exists for you.

-ALB

45. BTStone

BTStone

Allright, I updated to the latest Version of the Plugin.

- SoundManager Prefab is in the scene
    - 1 sond is playing continously
    - in the scene is a Button (FSM attached), when clicked it goes to the second state which has the Restart Action.

I tried it out and I don't get any errors but only Info-Messages:

Seems quite right to me :)

Edit: and just for clarification - it didn't matter if I use cross-duration or not. Same result :)

46. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey guys, another update is available once again:

Changelog in 2.6.8
    • Fix to setting volume to 0 at start
    • Added new 'audio preloading' feature that helps gapless music playback. WAV files are recommended unless you have software to create gapless MP3s.

Happy GameMaking,
    ALB

47. Ilona

Ilona

Hey AntiLunchBox,

I'm playing around with the free version of SoundManagerPro, but I'm having some problems adding SFX and I hoped you could help me. I've added the audio files to the Stored SFX in the SoundManager game object in my scene and in my code I've added the following line;

Code (csharp):
    1. SoundManager.PlaySFX(SoundManager.Load("move_block_var1"));
    But I don't hear the sound when the code is called.
    I can see game objects like SFX(-625200) being created in the Hierarchy and they have the right file, I can even hear it when I click it in the inspector. The "Show Debug Info" is on, but I'm not getting any significant information. "SFX Always Off" is not on ;) And I can hear the music I added with the SoundConnections, so it's not a problem with all audio. Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!

48. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Hey llona,

I was wondering what file types you are using. I suggest using WAVs for sfx. Unity has problems playing multiple MP3s at once.

-ALB

49. ClockworkWolf

ClockworkWolf

Ilona - could you try unchecking the "3D Sound" on the import settings? That works for me... which brings up the question to ALB as I do want to use 3D sound for my SFX clips...

AntiLunchBox - will future versions of SMP be able to setup the defaults for the instanced Audio Source objects? Specifically for SFX playback.

I'd like to alter their roll off types, for example. At the moment my game's audio is very soft, and I have to adjust the Audio Manager's Rolloff Scale to 0.01 to get acceptable loudness with 3D Sound enabled (and it works!!!).

I'm not sure if this is the right way to work with Unity's audio though, as I am only dabbling with the sfx, not included the bgm yet.

That said, this asset is a timesaver for the BGM! I've done separate tests of SMP for loading bgm and it works very beautifully.

Thanks!

50. AntiLunchBox

AntiLunchBox

Thanks!

Yes, I plan for you to be able to create default AudioSource settings. In the meantime, the PlaySFX function returns the resulting audiosource. You can set it as soon as you play it.

-ALB