Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] SoundManagerPro: Easy Game Music Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AntiLunchBox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. sevensails

sevensails

Is this asset dead? It's been a few weeks since the official forum is completely stopped, the author does not answer anything there nor here.

2. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I'm wondering about that too. And it is a problem with using assets. Many of the asset developers put their stuff up there and if it doesn't sell well (and even if it does in some cases) fail to support and upgrade their assets. And this can cause serious problems with versions of Unity that are released after the asset stops being supported. It is probably a good idea to never buy an asset that is only a dll with no source code that you can't get into to change things. I know that the latest SoundManager Pro has problems with the latest versions of NGUI. But luckily I was able to get into the source code to 'fix' it.

3. jerotas

jerotas

The author is probably just busy with some "life incident" thing, I'm sure he'll be back. If you have less confidence in that, feel free to check out our competing product Master Audio (in my signature) which I'm sure a lot of you already know about. Our support forum is quite lively at the moment, lots of good discussions going on. I waited some time before responding here, and I apologize if I offend anyone (including the author who seems like a nice fellow). I will gladly delete this post if AntiLunchbox tells me to. Peace out.

4. OnePxl

OnePxl

Heh… Always be closing…

5. fans8

fans8

Hi I met a strange issue.
    When I use:
    SoundManager.PlaySFX ("explode"); it's working good.
    But I need this sound in 3D effect, so I use like this:
    SoundManager.PlaySFX ("explode",false,0f,1f,1f,this.transform.position); or SoundManager.PlaySFX (enemy,"explode");
    then I can hear nothing...
    Need help... thanks.

6. SamTheBay

SamTheBay

I am having a problem using custom sound connections. When I call PlayConnection in the middle of a scene I can see that the new track shows up on the sound manager and begins to play. However, it never fades from the old track to the new. They just both play together with the old one keeping all the volume. Any idea what might be up here? When I use PlayConnection at the start of a scene it seems to work as expected.

7. sevensails

sevensails

8. jerotas

jerotas

9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Pity - i liked this asset - was my go to sound asset - good luck in your next thing :)

10. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Yeah. Too bad. That's the problem with any software backed by only a single person instead of a company. When The lone developer moves on there is no one to pick up where he/she left off. Off course there is open source but that is just as shaky.

11. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Guys,

I came across a small issue playing capped sfxs. Basically when playing a sound from the same audio source an exception is thrown.

... > Exception > System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Int32,System.String].Add (Int32 key, System.String value) [0x0007e] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:404
    at SoundManager.PlaySFXBase (UnityEngine.AudioSource aSource, UnityEngine.AudioClip clip, Single volume, Single pitch, Boolean capped, System.String cappedID, Boolean looping, Single delay, .SongCallBack runOnEndFunction, SoundDuckingSetting duckingSetting, Single duckVolume, Single duckPitch)....

The problematic piece of code resides in SoundManager_SFX_Internal.cs around line 420.

if(capped && !string.IsNullOrEmpty(cappedID))
    cappedSFXObjects.Add(aSource.gameObject.GetInstanceID(), cappedID);

To fix the issue change it to

if(capped && !string.IsNullOrEmpty(cappedID) && cappedSFXObjects != null && !cappedSFXObjects.ContainsKey(aSource.gameObject.GetInstanceID()))
    cappedSFXObjects.Add(aSource.gameObject.GetInstanceID(), cappedID);

Not a big deal but might save someone a headache :)

12. mkgame

mkgame

Hi,

give this asset free is a bad idea and for all for us whose bought this product it is worse as it won't be updated as frequently. I think it is not so much effort to update it in 2 month periode, i wouldn't give up yet (if i would in your situation), because it is a simple to use asset. I would never give it for free, the price is the apreciation for your work and not a greedy punishment against us. Is your work really nothing worth for you? Think about it.

Good luck.

13. WizardGameDev

WizardGameDev

it would be nice in assets like this if the developers would look for a buyer. Someone may have paid a little to purchase the rights to this. Problem with total open source that without having a stakeholder who can actually spend money to invest in the product it becomes either a hobby for people... or in situations like my own, I have yet another asset (DF GUI) that I have to consider to move forward with in a commercial game or swap out.

I'm not in this to make sound manager better because I need my game better first and foremost. So far though I've had good success and have bigger problems with Unity 5 overall bugs than really bugs in this specific package.

14. Stilghar

Stilghar

Hi,

We’ve been using SMP3 for months. Now, when upgrading to Unity 5 the music plays fine but the SFX don’t. We get no sound from them and SMP3 is not throwing any error.

We basically call the SFX from code like this:

SoundManager.PlayCappedSFX(SoundManager.LoadFromGroup(“explosion”), “explosion”);

SoundManager.PlaySFX(SoundManager.LoadFromGroup(“shieldPowerUp”));

Any idea?

15. sevensails

sevensails

Unity 5 changed all my sound to 3D sounds and I got some problems with it!

Try :
    Edit - Project Settings - Audio

Change Rolloff Scale to 0.

But I'm not 100% if this fix your problem.

Unfortunately I am changing to MasterAudio to my next projects. I cannot become attached to something I do not know if I will have support. There is some learning curve but....

16. Stilghar

Stilghar

Thanks, that did it (at least for the moment). We'll probably move to something else but I was in need of a quick solution for now.

17. sevensails

sevensails

18. jerotas

jerotas

"but Dark Tonic is always there to answer questions or take feature requests" is the rest of the sentence :)

Thanks for the shout out!

19. QFGlenn

QFGlenn

Worked with SoundManagerPro before. I wouldn't buy AntiLunchBox anymore after this. Who knows when they decide to jump ship on their other assets?

That said, I think that shilling your asset on someone elses page (@jerotas) is just as deplorable. I won't buy any Dark Tonic assets either. No offense to the guy but if you have to say "If they want me to take this post down I will" then you probably shouldn't post.

20. jerotas

jerotas

Since this thread was completely abandoned by ALB I think it's ok what I did, but your opinion is heard and I appreciate your feedback. I wouldn't have done it in any other situation.

TokyoDan likes this.
  21. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing by letting us know there is an alternative that is still being supported.

jerotas likes this.
  22. rumaniel

rumaniel

Hello.
    Is there any function to prevent from playing same sfx at the exactly same start time?
    I guess Cap amount is similar but not my intention.
    I got a noisy sound when same sfx playing at the same time. So I want to prevent from playing sfx at the same time.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  23. Xercium

Xercium

Hi,

I ran into a problem. I muted both SFX and music. I thought it was working fine but it seems (out of 25 sfx) 2 keep making sound even when all is muted.

No problem with other sound nor music.

What did I do wrong? :p

24. sevensails

sevensails

I have some errors on android.

Code (csharp):
    2. MESSAGE
    3. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    5. STACK TRACE
    6. SoundManager.SetNextSongInQueue ()
    7. SoundManager+<Crossin>c__Iterator3.MoveNext ()
    8. UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)
    Any advice?

25. PseudoGamer01

PseudoGamer01

can it play music even the phone is locked?

26. Z4rubin

Z4rubin

Hi. How do I use this in the options menu? What you need to do to make sliders change the volume level? Is that in the documentation?

27. arashsh

arashsh

28. arashsh

arashsh

public Slider music;
    public Slider sfx;
    public Slider master;

void Start()
    {
    master.value = SoundManager.GetVolume();
    music.value = SoundManager.GetVolumeMusic();
    sfx.value = SoundManager.GetVolumeSFX();