Search Unity

[RELEASED] Smooth Sync - Smoothly network rigidbodies and transforms while reducing bandwidth

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Fuestrine, Aug 4, 2017.

1. radiantboy

radiantboy

how do I get rid of the mirror compile errors? just install mirror?

2. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@radiantboy
    If you will be using Mirror, yes install the latest version of Mirror from the Asset Store.
    If you will not be using Mirror, you do not need to extract the Mirror files. You should only extract for the networking system you will be using.

Let me know if you still have issues after that. Cheers.

radiantboy likes this.
  3. DesarrolloNinus

DesarrolloNinus

hey i'm using mirror but i got many errors the firs one was change NetworkIdentity to
    NetworkServer on the file SmothSyncMirror.cs but after that im having more issues \SmoothSyncMirror.cs(626,23): error CS0723: Cannot declare a variable of static type 'NetworkServer' do you have any update of the files ? or i just delete whic files?

4. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@DesarrolloNinus
    Do you have the latest versions of Mirror from the Asset Store and the latest version of Smooth Sync from the Asset Store?

If not, get the latest versions and try again.
    If so, try the following:
    • Delete all of Smooth Sync from your project.
    • Reimport Smooth Sync and only import the Common folder and the SmoothSyncMirror.unitypackage.
    • Unpackage the SmoothSyncMirror.unitypackage
    Let me know if that doesn't help.

5. ajackster

ajackster

I am running into an issue w/ SmoothSyncNetcode where players other than the owner become "invisible" if I set Sync Scale to None (seemed to randomly happen if I had it != None but was random.) I noticed that objects that went "invisible" were actually just having their scale set to Vector3.zero.

I've tracked down this code starting on line 2018 in SmoothSyncNetcode.cs

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (!hasControl && !NetworkManager.IsServer)
    2. {
    3.         setScale(Vector3.zero);
    4. }
    Commenting this code out seems to resolve my issue. What is the purpose of setting the scale to 0 like this? Am I misunderstanding something or is this a bug? I would expect turning Sync Scale to None to not touch the scale value of the object at all.

I am using Unity Netcode for GameObjects and am using SmoothSync v3.40

Thank you!

stardust_enterprise01 likes this.
  6. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@ajackster
    Definitely a bug. Thank you for letting us know. It looks like those lines were added under "Fix for sometimes not initially syncing if they are at rest." so you may get some issues related to that with that commented out. I would think a Vector3.one instead of a Vector3.zero would at least stop things going invisible but I'm not sure. This fix was added by the other guy I code with and he's out for the holidays. I'll respond when he returns in the new year or maybe I'll dig into it myself and get back to you a bit sooner. Cheers.

ajackster likes this.
  7. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@ajackster
    The reason was that Netcode doesn't spawn at the updated scale by default (without Smooth Sync) so that was our attempt to not have the scale be wrong upon spawning. Then Smooth Sync would get the updated correct scale and set it.
    If you only set scale to 1, then you can probably leave that as 1 and be good to go.
    Alternatively, you can just get rid of that section if not syncing scale at all (or add a conditional to not run it). We'll have to look into an official fix for the next release. Thanks for letting us know!
    Also, please let us know if you still get "invisible" issues with it set to 1 and I can maybe get you an official fix sooner.

8. dadamsj1

dadamsj1

Hi @Fuestrine

I recently upgraded to Smooth Sync PUN2 v3.22 to v3.4. I immediately noticed a significant amount of jittering. When I reverted the commit and return to v3.22 again, the issue disappeared. Any idea what would cause this?

Photon SendRate = 20 ms
    Sample object settings:
    When to Update Transform - Update
    Interpolation Back Time 0.06
    Time Correction 0.1
    Position Easing 0.318
    Rotation Easing 0.318
    Scale Easing 0.85
    Snap Time Threshold 3

Note: I did not change any settings on my smoothSync objects or the send rate for Photon (commit is literally just SmoothSyncEditorPUN2.cs, SmoothSyncPUN2.cs, and StatePUN2.cs). I have the .patch files if you'd like me to send them. PUN2 is latest version as well.

9. RTTTTT

RTTTTT

Hi @Fuestrine

I'm using SmoothSyncMirror.

Once my player object moves the scene, the client's transform is not reflected in the server. Between clients, the transform changes are well applied and are not reflected only on the server.

In a Multiple Additive Scenes environment, Is there anything I have to do specifically when OnClientChangeScene is called?

https://mirror-networking.gitbook.io/docs/examples/multiple-additive-scenes

10. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@dadamsj1
    That's a rough one as v3.22 was almost 4 years ago around August 2019. A lot has changed since then.
    Try setting the Smooth Sync settings on your game objects to default to see if that clears it up.
    If that doesn't clear it up, do you get this behavior in the example scene for PUN2 in the Smooth Sync plugin?

11. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Seugnjun
    Are you only talking about Mirror's "Multiple Additive Scenes"?
    My best initial thought is try calling the code in SmoothSync.OnEnable() or maybe even SmoothSync.teleportOwnedObjectFromOwner() for a separate reset test.
    If this is an ownership change, try setting the "Smooth Authority Changes" option in Smooth Sync.

I'm not too familiar with Mirror's "Multiple Additive Scenes" unfortunately. If the above doesn't help, let me know and I'll have to see if I can dig deeper. Thank you.

12. Davey111111

Davey111111

Super excited to try this out but I'm having an issue with the asset.
    Using Netcode for GameObjects 1.2.0
    Unity Transport 2.0.0

I understand these are beta releases that I'm using so I understand if things aren't compatible at the moment.
    My characters movement is not being synced and the console is throwing the warning: "Could not find target for network StateNetcode message."

Smooth.StateNetcode:Deserialize (Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader) (at Assets/Smooth Sync/Netcode for GameObjects/Smooth Sync Assets/StateNetCode.cs:401)

Edit: Nevermind! Problem solved :) Just had to set the Transform Source to "Server" in the Miscellaneous options because my game is server authoritative.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  13. AsifNaeem

AsifNaeem

I tried it with removing photon pun2 package. Re-importing latest available version. Also tried with removing & re-importing Smooth Sync. But error still resist.
    In empty package it is working fine but with my project it is showing error.
    I am using Unity 2021.3.12
    Any suggestion to resolve this issue?

14. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@AsifNaeem
    "In empty package it is working fine"
    Is it working fine in the PUN2 example scene provided by Smooth Sync?
    I just tried using the latest PUN2 available from the Asset Store and the latest Smooth Sync from the Asset Store and got no issues in Unity 2021.3.5f1.

If the PUN2 example scene provided by Smooth Sync is working fine, you'll have to see how your setup is different from this scene.
    Try redownloading the latest versions as well before you import maybe.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  15. VRGroupRWTH

VRGroupRWTH

We're having invisibility issues with the latest netcode for gameobjects (1.2.0) as well. Afaik they actually sync scale initially now, so when somebody joins non-scene objects have a scale of 0 until they get move once.

16. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@VRGroupRWTH
    Thank you for letting us know. We will have to revisit our Unity Netcode initial settings on the next release. For now, commenting out the line should resolve it for you but let me know if it does not.

17. DimVos

DimVos

Hello, I love the product, works like magic. ;)

However, I could use your help with something about it to make it flawless for me.

I am using this with the new Unity input system in a 2D game to flip the sprite of my character.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (context.ReadValue<Vector2>().x > 0)
    2.         {
    3.             this.player.transform.localScale = new Vector3(-1, 1, 0);
    4.         }
    However, no matter what I try, the sprite either never flips instantly or flips instantly almost every time.
    I am using a fairly new version of both Unity & PUN2.
    Things I have tried:
    - Updating to the latest Smooth Sync version;
    - Trying to flip it using velocity;
    - Trying to flip the sprite renderer, RB;
    - Moving the script from Update to public void MovePlayer(InputAction.CallbackContext context);
    - Changing ScaleEasingSpeed, SnapThreshold, SendThreshold (This brings me closer to my goal but I never figured out the combination to give me the perfect result).

Can you please help me figure out the cleanest solution? Thank you for reading :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  18. FPSG

FPSG

Are there plans to add support for Dark Rift 2 networking?

19. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@DimVos
    Try the following:
    It looks like setting SnapScaleThreshold to .0001 or similar small number would give you the results you are expecting.
    Raising the ScaleEasingSpeed to 1 probably won't help but try that anyway if the SnapScaleThreshold to .0001 doesn't fix it.

Let me know if that doesn't make it flip instantly over the network and I'll have to get in and test it out myself.

DimVos likes this.
  20. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@FPSG
    Sorry but there are no current or future plans to support Dark Rift 2 networking.

DimVos likes this.
  21. CYCLE-6

CYCLE-6

It does work for FishNet Network smoothly. But if the object recycled from FishNet Object Pool once. It doesn't sync anymore.
    You may replicate the issue in the demo. Change their "Example Player" to pooled object; Set up a server; connect a client to the server; everything works.
    Disconnect the client; Shutdown client side app. Then reopen client app and reconnect again. client doesn't sync anymore.

Please advice...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  22. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@CYCLE-6
    Turn on the Smooth Sync setting under the Miscellaneous section called "Smooth Authority Changes". That should fix it up for you. Let me know if that doesn't work out for you.

23. Gushmeister

Gushmeister

Hey, bought your asset for PUN2 smoothing, and it works great, it looks really smooth and position/rotation sync seems to be very good. Only problem I have now: Animations are not syncing anymore. I'm using photon animation view. What am I doing wrong? Is there a workaround for that?

24. Gushmeister

Gushmeister

Okay, so actually it's not that animations don't get synced at all, it's just about the velocity. And that's very important, since I check from the enemie's rigid body, if the enemy is moving. Only the moving-variable (which actually is calculated by the rigidbodie's velocity) doesn't work. That variable isn't synced through photon animation view, I change the variable on enemies with this code-snippet.

I am having a Photon Transform View and Rigidbody2D View. Does it make sense to sync position on the Transform view, when I'm syncing velocity of the rb already? It just seems like velocity is not synced, don't really know why. All other animations work, so it's not that the photon animation view doesn't work. I'm using PUN2

Code (CSharp):
    2. if (rb.velocity != Vector2.zero)
    3. {
    4.       if(!photonView.IsMine && playerAnimator.GetBool("isShooting") == false)
    5.       {
    6.           playerAnimator.SetBool("isRunning", true);
    7.           Feet.SetActive(true);
    8.       }
    9.       if (!photonView.IsMine && playerAnimator.GetBool("isShooting") == true)
    10.       {
    11.           playerAnimator.SetBool("isRunning", false);
    12.           Feet.SetActive(false);
    13.       }
    14. }
    15. else
    16. {
    17.       playerAnimator.SetBool("isRunning", false);
    18. }
    Edit: Okay, I think I found out why it doesn't sync, because the rigid body wasn't kinematic. Why do I have to set it to kinematic? I'm using dynamic rigid bodies, since they are physics-driven, that's why my animations don't sync. Is it recommended to use kinematic rigidbodies?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  25. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Gushmeister
    Hi. I responded to your email but I wanted to respond here too so others can potentially benefit as well. :)
    Don't hesitate to reach out if I missed anything or misinterpreted anything.

(To others reading, this is my email response so the numbering and response may not be exactly responding to the above but I wanted to post it here in case it helps anyone with the same questions.)

1.a) Smooth Sync does not sync animations. Smooth Sync only syncs
    Transforms. You can use more than one Smooth Sync to sync extra
    Transforms though if that helps.

1.b) Smooth Sync automatically sets the velocity to 0 under most
    circumstances so that essentially only Smooth Sync is setting the
    position on non-owners because that is the way to make it the most
    smooth.
    You can probably comment out the following section in SmoothSyncPUN2
    to get your desired effect:
    if (hasRigidbody && !rb.isKinematic)
    {
    rb.velocity = Vector3.zero;
    rb.angularVelocity = Vector3.zero;
    }

Also though, Smooth Sync will set the velocities on non-owners if you
    use the "UseVelocityDrivenSyncing" Smooth Sync variable under the
    Miscellaneous section of Smooth Sync. This won't be as accurate
    though.

2.a) I'm not really sure to be honest. I haven't messed around with
    lowering send rates at runtime. I am always happy to offer a refund
    for any reason at any time though if Smooth Sync doesn't suit your
    needs in this or any other way.
    2b) I'm not familiar with Transform-View sync. If that is a PUN2
    thing, then you would not need it if using Smooth Sync I would think.
    2c) Sorry but I'm really not the best with Photon these days. I
    support a lot of networking systems, but I don't dig too deep into
    each one.
    I would recommend getting rid of all transform setting Photon
    components as only Smooth Sync should really be affecting the
    positions of your objects for optimum smoothness.

Hopefully I answered all the questions.
    Please don't hesitate to reach out again if I missed anything or
    interpreted anything incorrectly. :)

Cheers,
    Brad

Meltdown likes this.
  26. Gushmeister

Gushmeister

Hey, don't worry, I got all those things running already :)

What? Refunds? No way :) I love how fluid my Networking now is with the help of your asset. I've got all things running by adjusting a bit, I love it so far, thanks for making such a great asset! Also I like the compression-functions, this now really saves me a lot of traffic.

Many greetings to you!

Meltdown likes this.
  27. Meltdown

Meltdown

@Fuestrine I'm having an issue in my racing with my truck landing on the track.

Im using Mirror and have a server authoritative setup, although I have some parts of the vehicle physics running on the server, and other parts on the client for a good blend of client responsiveness and server authority.

Both server and client have the concept of the physics suspension/wheels.

Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes on the client when my truck's wheels land, they don't quite touch the surface, thus not registering a local client landing, so SoundFX don't play, and the truck wheels appear to float slightly above the track surface.

Over the course of the next 2-3 seconds the client wheels seem to get closer and closer to the track, then eventually the client-side 'landing' is registered and it plays the landing sound effect.

These are my current settings, I'm wondering if you have any advice?
    PS : I can't change to FixedUpdate, if I do, I get a lot of strange wobbling/glitching.

upload_2023-5-22_11-4-0.png

28. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Meltdown
    Raising the Smooth Sync position, rotation, and scale easing speeds may help, but yours are already pretty high.
    You can try raising the Time Correction Speed as a test, but this will get jittery pretty quickly.
    The rest of the settings wouldn't affect that I would think.

The issue may be that hard objects don't really collide on other systems unless using SmoothSync.UseVelocityDrivenSyncing (but it's less accurate so keep that in mind). There's no guarantee that the exact frame of collision happens on the other system and I think the last time I went down this road it wasn't colliding when I was sending and setting it specifically. SmoothSync.forceStateSendNextFixedUpdate() can be used to send specific collision positions though if you can think of anything.
    The real answer is probably Smooth Sync sending some kind of collision event trigger over along with the state and then call some code on the other side. Unfortunately I am not looking to add that feature at this time.

Maybe a small but larger trigger circle around the tires that makes the sound occur on clients is a workaround?

Meltdown likes this.
  29. Riovox

Riovox

Hi,
    I use the latest PUN, and use SmoothSyncExamplePUN(demo) to test,
    I remove the the rigibody component from the parent node, also remove the child transfom.
    I encounter a problem: when the ball stop move, the mirror of the ball not stop(keep moving long distances), this happens occasionally.(PUN2 have the same problem.),
    Please see the picture.

Attached Files:

30. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Riovox
    Unfortunately I am not seeing the issue when I follow your steps.
    Try out the Extrapolation settings on the Smooth Sync component. Maybe make the time limit low or use the distance limit and set it to 1 as a test.
    Does it still occur at long distances when you set Smooth Sync's Extrapolation Distance Limit to 1?

31. RedEyeFox

RedEyeFox

Significant jittering , latest PUN2 and latest Smooth Sync, demo scene has jittering too, do someone have some solution for this? it's really bad, unusable.

The jittering happen to position and rotation, with or without compression.

32. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@crimn
    I'm not seeing any issues with 2.43 PUN2, 3.41 Smooth Sync, and 2022.3.9f1 Unity. PUN2 and Smooth Sync are the latest from the Asset Store.

Does the issue exist in Smooth Sync's SmoothSyncExampleScenePUN2 scene? Or within Photon's example scene?
    If Photon's example scene, try to take a look at what may be different from this scene and the one provided by Smooth Sync.
    The most likely cause of jitter is usually moving the object on all systems. Smooth Sync will handle moving the object on non-owner systems so you shouldn't be moving them there at the same time.
    Let me know how it goes.

33. UsefulWeapon

UsefulWeapon

@Fuestrine Hey! I want to ask quick question before i buy. So i have a game when you kill spawned enemies in COOP. Sometimes photon wont register the hits on enemies on client (host lands shots every time he hit the enemy) so i am thinking if i put this script on the enemies will it fix my problem? I am thinking this is some kind of unsync issue (but enemies movement is pretty smooth) and this may help for client to predict the position and 100% hit the enemy

34. CoolestNima

CoolestNima

Hi, I'm using Mirror version 84.0.3 and Smooth sync version 3.36
    when I add smooth sync package to my project I got 7 errors like these blow:
    - Assets\Smooth Sync\Mirror\Server Authoritative\ServerAuthorityExamplePlayerController.cs(29,13): error CS0103: The name 'hasAuthority' does not exist in the current context
    - Assets\Smooth Sync\Mirror\Smooth Sync Asset\StateMirror.cs(472,45): error CS0117: 'NetworkIdentity' does not contain a definition for 'spawned'

could you provide a list of which versions of Mirror and Smooth sync are compatible to each other and say how can I fix this?

35. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@UsefulWeapon
    I wouldn't think Smooth Sync would solve your issue. It may allow you to get a closer simulation on all systems at once if you lower SmoothSync.InterpolationBackTime and it may happen less, but even then your issue would not be solved. It's kind of a core issue with networked games in general. If you play FPSes, sometimes you'll just get hits that aren't real.
    But if it's COOP and you don't care about clients cheating, you could just register the hits on all clients instead of just the server.

36. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@CoolestNima
    We only support the latest version of Mirror on the Asset Store with the latest version of Smooth Sync on the Asset Store. Let me know if those versions are those though, then I'll have to take a look around.

37. UsefulWeapon

UsefulWeapon

Okay, thanks for the reply. I am using Opsive Ultimate Character controller system. Will it be easy to integrate with your asset?

38. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@UsefulWeapon
    Unfortunately I do not know about that compatibility. Smooth Sync sends Transforms from owner to non-owner, so if that asset only moves the objects on the owner, then I would think it'd be mostly fine at least.

UsefulWeapon likes this.
  39. RR7

RR7

which is the last version to build UNET and IL2CPP? i have a specific requirement and the current version which allows me to select UNET has this error when building. or has this combo never worked?

Code (CSharp):
    1. Exception: IL2CPP error for method 'System.Void Smooth.SmoothSync::SendStateToNonOwners(UnityEngine.Networking.MessageBase)' in assembly 'C:\Unity Projects\hlapi bare\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll'
    2. System.InvalidOperationException: Stack empty.

40. matstumpf

matstumpf

Hi!

I'm facing huge position diference between players, and I'm having that with the default ClientNetworkTransform and also with your asset.
    The best scenario is using SmoothSync in 'position mode', without enabling the VelocityDrivenSyncing.

I'm working on a car game, so the speeds can go from 0 to +200km/h.
    I'm using Unity 2022.3.12 with NetCode for Gameobjects 1.7.1 and SmoothSync 3.41 and running both instances on same PC.

Here is a sample from ClientNetworkTransform (~1.5 car difference): default.png

And here using SmoothSync (~1.2 car difference):
    smooth.png

I already played with most of the configs on both scripts and couldn't get better than that!

Thanks!

41. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@RR7
    I never tried versions of UNet beyond when it was deprecated so I'm not sure what the latest version of Unity support would be for it.
    In 2020.3.26f1 UNet Smooth Sync seems to work for me for il2cpp.
    What version of Unity are you on?

42. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@matstumpf
    Lowering Smooth Sync's InterpolationBackTime is the one variable that will help sync up each system more. Keep above 1/SendRate or it will extrapolate and be potentially jittery.
    Then you can raise things like the various Speed variables but they won't help much and TimeCorrectionSpeed can cause it to be jittery very fast so do this one last.

43. Meltdown

Meltdown

I've run into this issue in the past and banged my head against a wall for weeks trying to fix it.

The only way I found to resolve this, is to have server-authoritative physics using something like Mirror/Fishnet/Photon Fusion/Quantum.

In all fairness to @Fuestrine I didn't have access to SmoothSync back then, but I assume you are running multiple physics simulations (one on each client), which I found anyway caused lots of issues, weird collisions, one car in front of the other etc. If SmoothSync doesn't fix it for you, then I would highly recommend the server physics approach.

I'm using Mirror and SmoothSync with great results, with Edgegap for multiplayer server hosting/orchestration and matchmaking.

44. srbmats

srbmats

@Fuestrine I tried many different settings, but none could solve my problem yet, I will keep digging.

@Meltdown , I´m making a Multiplayer Car Simulator, so each player must have a great physics experience, and that´s why I tried to avoid Server-Authoritative physics (never tried one, but the concept looks like is not appropriate for my game). Do you already tested with car/plane simulation?

Thanks!

45. RR7

RR7

this turned out to be a known bug in the weaver of HLAPI 1.0.6. upgrading to HLAPI 1.0.8 or higher fixes it.

thanks!

46. Meltdown

Meltdown

You can get it working well enough if you take the time to fine tune the physics on both the client and the server. It took me about 100 hours of fine-tuning to get a good result.

It might be worth checkinig out Photon Quantum, they have the latest tech for this sort of physics.

47. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

Heads up y'all, our discord got hacked. Do not click any links sent by my Whale Whale Whale discord account, especially regarding a puzzle game. It is a virus.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  48. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

New discord is up: https://discord.gg/U2KPFdtZ

Fresh and clean

I also have a new account: (whale__whale__whale_38382)

Anyone still in the old server should leave it and block my old account.

Sorry for the downtime!

49. Rook_Games

Rook_Games

Hi, I'm interested in buying this asset, but I need smooth authority changes. Can you confirm if Smooth Sync has smooth authority changes as an option with Netcode For GameObjects or not?

Thanks.

50. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Rook_Games
    Smooth Sync has smooth authority changes as an option with Netcode for GameObjects.