Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Smooth Sync - Smoothly network rigidbodies and transforms while reducing bandwidth

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Fuestrine, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Doughtinator

Doughtinator

Thanks for the reply. I’ll look into this method.

2. jdcart23

jdcart23

@Fuestrine Hi, I don't know if you have seen this behavior before, or someone else has mentioned it.

I'm having a problem with your SmoothSyncEditor script where smoothsync fields are constantly being marked as dirty. This makes it so unity thinks that my prefab has been modified and Perforce checks out the file.

I looked at your code and saw that SmoothSyncEditor is always marking the fields dirty even when they are not changed:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void OnInspectorGUI()
    2. {
    3.  //...
    4.     EditorUtility.SetDirty(myTarget);
    5. }
    I changed it for now so that it only sets them as dirty when something changes in the GUI, however, this is only a temporary fix so I can keep working on my stuff. It is temporary because closing or opening a dropdown still marks it as dirty, when it really shouldn't:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void OnInspectorGUI()
    2. {
    3.             if (GUI.changed)
    4.             {
    5.                 EditorUtility.SetDirty(myTarget);
    6.             }
    7. }
    Do you think you can go in and make a more permanent fix for this issue?

3. sonderistic

sonderistic

"Game start" is when the client hosts the game. And the positions seem to be random on the x-z axis, but consistent in terms of y.

I started spawning in these objects and they now seem to work fine.

4. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@jdcart23 I'll look in to the editor script issues. Seems easy enough to fix. Thanks for pointing it out.

@sonderistic Glad you were able to get it working some way at least.

5. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

6. sabinionut56

sabinionut56

if i buy this script it will make my game work better even if it is not a multiplayer or it only works for multiplayer games ?

7. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

8. Rmzn0

Rmzn0

I want to make a 4-player co-op game by purchasing Asset.

Is it possible with your asset?

9. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Rmzn0
    That's too broad of a question unfortunately.

Smooth Sync will make your game assets smooth across the network though. If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

10. Foestar

Foestar

No, you will not be able to make a 4 player co-op game by purchasing this asset. You can download Pun2 for free to try out as it will be the most friendly starting point to make a 4 player co-op game.

What this asset DOES do is smooth out your game's player movement over the network meaning all the jittery movement that comes with lag. If you plan on making any kind of multiplayer game and don't know much about smoothing or compensating for lag or just want to save time then buy this. It is SUPER helpful in speeding up your workflow and is easy to implement.

11. saukki

saukki

@Fuestrine Hi, I bought Smooth Sync a few days ago and wanted you to know that it doesn't work with the new Mirror v5.x release due to their API changes.

12. caleb-holos

caleb-holos

@Fuestrine Smooth Sync isn't working with the latest Mirror package from their GitHub page. The SmoothSyncMirror contains the following error:

Assets\Smooth Sync\Mirror\Smooth Sync Asset\SmoothSyncMirror.cs(644,29): error CS0117: 'NetworkIdentity' does not contain a definition for 'clientAuthorityCallback'

13. Yarwad2

Yarwad2

Hi there. I just purchased the asset and got this error message upon importing the Mirror package:

Assets\Smooth Sync\Mirror\Smooth Sync Asset\SmoothSyncMirror.cs(2041,100): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'NetworkConnectionToClient' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Is there a fix for this or should I request a refund? Thanks.

14. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@saukki I was a little behind getting the update out but it should work now.

@caleb-holos Smooth Sync is kept up to date with the latest release of Mirror on the Asset Store. We do not support the latest version of Mirror on github.

@Yarwad2 It sounds like you've got the latest Smooth Sync but not that latest version of Mirror. You probably just need to update Mirror from the Asset Store.

saukki likes this.
  15. ScorphiusMultiplayer

ScorphiusMultiplayer

Hi there,
    It seems the the new Ummorpg/Mirror has has modified the NetworkIdentity class and its throwing an error in SmoothSyncMirror

Request your fix.

Thanks in advance.

MirrorSmoothSynchUpdate.jpg

16. sabbath1989

sabbath1989

Do you know what would be good? if this asset had entered the cyber week discount !! :) just a tip lkkk

17. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@witcherx There is a fix incoming. In the meantime you can just comment that line out if you're not using the Smooth Authority Changes feature and it won't hurt anything.

@sabbath1989 I believe our price is too low already to be included in that sale. Sorry!

zKici likes this.
  18. MOTYSHIZ

MOTYSHIZ

Hello, Noble Whale! I have been loving your asset so far.
    I do have a question that I am having difficulty finding answers for.

I am working on a VR game with vehicles, but there can also be multiple players in a single vehicle.
    From my understanding and what I've gotten working so far, it is necessary to have 3 -4 tracking points for VR (Head, hands, perhaps playArea origin or root for height).
    As you may have already guessed, the issue I have with vehicles is making sure players appear to keep up with and stay inside the vehicles.

This seems like it would require some clever use of "use Local Transform Only", and management of VR network tracked object hierarchies.
    I was hoping I could get more explanation on how this feature works.

Is it basically just copying the visible transform values in the inspector?
    If there is any documentation on this matter, please let me know.

Thank you very much!

19. MOTYSHIZ

MOTYSHIZ

Nevermind, I figured it out!
    Turns out, my hierarchy wasn't getting properly synced between my remotes and clients. It was just my local VR set that was being modified.
    I now sync the parenting hierarchies via player custom properties and toggle on "use Local Transform Only".
    Works like a charm, and the players see each other in the vehicle together!

Love you guys, thanks for making such a great asset with considerations like this.

thegreatzebadiah likes this.
  20. MudbuG

MudbuG

Documentation for smooth sync says "Don't hesitate to contact us..." but there is no email. Also I am not able to register the product on noblewhale.com because it does not recognize my invoice number. Is there an email for support?

21. gmxtian

gmxtian

I'm using Unity 2019.2.17 and PUN2 for a VR app. The use local transform option does not work at all (no movement) for the head and hands that are parented to player space object. Does this require Smooth Sync PUN2 at the root as well that does the global transform? I would think it would just happily set the local values, which would be great. When I try to set the root object to use smooth sync global I get PUN sync errors. When I set the head and hands to global it half works. When on the Quest I can see my PC (Quest using Oculus Link) movement but when on the PC I can not see Quest movement. So that's 3 different issues right out of the gate.

22. gmxtian

gmxtian

Apologies! I just realized that the likely reason local transform doesn't work is that the part above is actually moving. Global works in this case and of course local does not. If I can modify the code to use a specified transform then I can probably move forward with this.

23. polygonfuture

polygonfuture

Hi,

I am using your script to send camera rotation and transformation values from a server to a client. The client camera is essentially being controlled by the server machine. It is using UNET.

SmoothSync is giving me problems as I rotate the camera around its "look at" pivot. On client, the camera is locked to this pivot point and rotating / translating around it perfectly.

With SmoothSync, there is occasional "hiccup" movements that translate this pivot in a direction, causing a noticeable "jolt" of the camera. It happens most when the camera is moving slowly.

Currently the camera raycasts to a surface, gets the normal, creates a vector, and then rotates / translates around that point.

Do you have any idea what might be causing these jolts while using SmoothSync? I've one by one gone through various settings with no clear resolution.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  24. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

UnityAssetSupport@noblewhale.com

You can find it on our Asset Store publisher page. Yeah, I wish unity made it easier to find..no clue why they don't put it on the asset page itself.

The Noble Whale website is really only used for Noble Connect, so you don't need to enter your Smooth Sync invoice number there or anything.

25. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

I believe with PUN2 Smooth Sync should sync whatever object you put it on, so if you put one on the parent and one of the child both should sync properly. Also make sure both parent and child have a photon view that is observing the Smooth Sync component.

26. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

Two things I would try are disabling extrapolation, and setting the time correction speed super low to see if that smooths it out. I'm working on implementing some improvements to time syncing that may help. Extrapolation also may or may not have some issues. I recently fixed some extrapolation stuff in the Unreal version of Smooth Sync that could be causing issues in the Unity version as well, just haven't confirmed yet. Also I can help you out more directly on our discord channel if you're in to that sort of thing. https://discord.gg/6VpgNQg

27. Razputin

Razputin

How do I stop interpolation of scale? I set scale easing speed to 1 which should be "Instant" but it still interpolates, is there a different way to do this? Thanks :)

28. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Razputin
    I'll check it out.

For now as a quick and dirty fix, try setting the SnapScaleThreshold to something really low but above zero. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

29. Derpington3d

Derpington3d

This is a long shot, but any chance of getting SpatialOS support for Smoothsync at any point?

30. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Derpington3d
    Sorry, there is no current plan to add SpatialOS support for Smooth Sync. Best case scenario, I don't see it happening any time soon.

31. Derpington3d

Derpington3d

Thank you for the speedy reply, I figured that was the case.

32. JjyKs

JjyKs

Would it be possible to add a boolean that forces location authority to server even if client has authority on object as well?

I've been suggesting this Asset to a lot of people on Mirror discord if they had problems with default NetworkTransform. However now multiple people have had a problem where their movement logic is on the player prefab, which has client authority. That causes SmoothSync to sync location from Client to server, even if authority is just used to send player input to the server and server is the one handling all the location stuff.

33. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

I'm having a problem when I spawn a object(Think a players pet) with client authority.
    This Pet object belongs to the player that spawns it, and should be de-spawned when the player disconnects(That is why it is spawned with client auth).
    The Pet object gets all it's instructions from the server as it is not directly controlled by the player.
    Here is where the problem lies.

When a client that is not on the server creates a Pet object, SmoothSyncMirror is not moving the object on either the server or client. I believe this is due to SmoothSyncMirror thinking that because it has authority that the movement orders should come from the client. If I disable the SmoothSyncMirror on the server while it's running it will start to follow the player (only on the server of course).

Is there a way to let SmoothSyncMirror know that the movement orders will still be coming from the server?

34. IcaroDLima

IcaroDLima

Hey! The Mirror version is outdated! Please fix. :(

Untitled.png

35. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@JjyKs @katasteel I've actually already added this. It will be in the next release.
    Cheers.

JjyKs likes this.
  36. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

@Icaro-DLima See my email reply. I don't think this is an issue with Smooth Sync, but rather something else preventing Mirror and Smooth Sync from compiling. You can confirm yourself by testing in an empty project with nothing but the latest Smooth Sync and Mirror from the Asset Store.

37. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

@Zebadiah Great! What will the setting I need to set be called?
    If it is not a setting what do I need to do to get it to work?
    Also any idea when the next release will be on the asset store?

38. paulbettner

paulbettner

Hi @Fuestrine -

When trying to build smoothsync + mirror using the latest version of Unity 2019.3, I get these compile errors in xcode:

/Users/paulbettner/playground-client/Builds/iOS/playground-ios-client/Classes/Native/Smooth.cpp:11808:3: No matching function for call to 'NetworkWriterPool_Recycle_m1D2B0E1C9A72675D23363BBFCACDDE284EC387C9'

/Users/paulbettner/playground-client/Builds/iOS/playground-ios-client/Classes/Native/Smooth.cpp:4858:41: Candidate function not viable: cannot convert from base class pointer 'NetworkWriter_t9867BCC201B0E0EB4E85B70D8322BFCC7B1B5B0D *' to derived class pointer 'PooledNetworkWriter_t5C3E4554285FF29054146CADF86AF9057BAEECC7 *' for 1st argument

/Users/paulbettner/playground-client/Builds/iOS/playground-ios-client/Classes/Native/Smooth.cpp:11849:3: No matching function for call to 'NetworkWriterPool_Recycle_m1D2B0E1C9A72675D23363BBFCACDDE284EC387C9'

/Users/paulbettner/playground-client/Builds/iOS/playground-ios-client/Classes/Native/Smooth.cpp:4858:41: Candidate function not viable: cannot convert from base class pointer 'NetworkWriter_t9867BCC201B0E0EB4E85B70D8322BFCC7B1B5B0D *' to derived class pointer 'PooledNetworkWriter_t5C3E4554285FF29054146CADF86AF9057BAEECC7 *' for 1st argument

/Users/paulbettner/playground-client/Builds/iOS/playground-ios-client/Classes/Native/Smooth.cpp:11890:3: No matching function for call to 'NetworkWriterPool_Recycle_m1D2B0E1C9A72675D23363BBFCACDDE284EC387C9'

And the actual lines in the generated cpp code that are throwing the errors look like this:

NetworkWriterPool_Recycle_m1D2B0E1C9A72675D23363BBFCACDDE284EC387C9(L_12, /*hidden argument*/[B]NULL[/B]);

One other hint: the functions that throw this error are
    Smooth::RpcNonServerOwnedTeleportFromServer
    Smooth::CmdTeleport
    Smooth::RpcTeleport

Which are the only Smooth methods that use the [ClientRPC] and [Command] attributes... although I'm not sure why those attributes are causing that last NetworkWriterPool line to show up in the generated cpp code (or why it's not able to cast NetworkWriterPool to WriterPool successfully, even though those classes are derived from each other...)

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Paul

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  39. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Hi,

seems sometimes the scale is synced wrong. The scale on one player is 3.8 and the other player its 1

Any ideas?

Thanks

40. paulbettner

paulbettner

Zebadiah likes this.
  41. Flamacore

Flamacore

Hey there :)

Just purchased this and started using it. The smoothness is really good. However, I have rather a different question. Since it states that I have to clearBuffer everytime I change ownerships, I'm stuck at a point and would like your opinion if possible.

Think of it as a ball game. Naturally, to be able to apply rigidbody force from each client without any lag whatsoever, immediately reflecting the force on the client's screen, I change ownerships upon entering the proximity of the client's object (trigger collider). But after a couple of tests, say the ball passes near the player and its ownership changes accordingly, it immediately stops moving. If I don't call clearBuffer, it all goes haywire on ownerships. Obviously enough, I also tried to change ownership upon direct collision hit but that introduces another problem. Possibly, ownership change is not immediate and checks out with the server. Thus, misses the rigidbody force apply at that immediate frame.

I know this may not be related directly to your asset but still, could you kindly think about this and guide me on this situation?

Using PUN2 by the way.

42. mailfromthewilds

mailfromthewilds

plugin helped me in some areas but other problems arised. how to avoid stutter? addforce in ground direction causes character shaking (except local player)

43. esmaeeldoost

esmaeeldoost

Hi, I made this game with Mirror and Smooth Sync. I captured this video from PC and WIFI. I want to know what is the best settings for mobile networks?
    This is my default settings:

I also add this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (isServer) {
    2.             if (smoothSync != null)
    3.                 smoothSync.forceStateSendNextFixedUpdate();
    4.         }
    All objects are non-owner and controlled by server.

44. unity_AMOPSv5o2kVS8Q

unity_AMOPSv5o2kVS8Q

Hey there! I have a problem using SmoothSync with PUN2.
    After the integration, I have a console error saying

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\Smooth Sync\PUN2\Smooth Sync Asset\SmoothSyncPUN2.cs(673,30): error CS0115: 'SmoothSyncPUN2.OnPlayerEnteredRoom(Player)': no suitable method found to override
    what can I do? :(

45. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

It's called "Controlled by Server" under the Miscellaneous section. I'll try and get it up sometime next week.

46. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

Mirror, UNet, or PUN? Seems to be working for me. You can test in the example scenes using +/- to grow and shrink the balls.

47. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

You definitely don't want to do that. That's going to make it try to send every frame which is going to cause a lot of network congestion and dropped / delayed packets.

The default settings should work for most cases. For 2D you can save lots of bandwidth by turning things off that you don't need under "Variables to Sync"

48. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

Do you have "Smooth Authority Changes enabled? It is made to fix exactly this.

49. Zebadiah

Zebadiah

Are you still experiencing this issue? I just tested with the latest PUN2 and Smooth Sync from the asset store and I'm not getting any compilation errors and as far as I can tell the OnPlayerEnteredRoom method does exist in PunClasses.cs

50. Baavoz

Baavoz

I got 28 errors?