Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Smooth Sync - Smoothly network rigidbodies and transforms while reducing bandwidth

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Fuestrine, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Doughtinator
    You can have the non-server player tell the server to move it.

Usually this is done by having a PlayerController owned by the local systems and having the players and game objects owned by the server. You then send over your CMDs to the server on the PlayerController which tell the player objects to move.

2. Doughtinator

Doughtinator

Thanks for the reply. I’ll look into this method.

3. jdcart23

jdcart23

@Fuestrine Hi, I don't know if you have seen this behavior before, or someone else has mentioned it.

I'm having a problem with your SmoothSyncEditor script where smoothsync fields are constantly being marked as dirty. This makes it so unity thinks that my prefab has been modified and Perforce checks out the file.

I looked at your code and saw that SmoothSyncEditor is always marking the fields dirty even when they are not changed:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void OnInspectorGUI()
    2. {
    3.  //...
    4.     EditorUtility.SetDirty(myTarget);
    5. }
    I changed it for now so that it only sets them as dirty when something changes in the GUI, however, this is only a temporary fix so I can keep working on my stuff. It is temporary because closing or opening a dropdown still marks it as dirty, when it really shouldn't:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void OnInspectorGUI()
    2. {
    3.             if (GUI.changed)
    4.             {
    5.                 EditorUtility.SetDirty(myTarget);
    6.             }
    7. }
    Do you think you can go in and make a more permanent fix for this issue?

4. sonderistic

sonderistic

"Game start" is when the client hosts the game. And the positions seem to be random on the x-z axis, but consistent in terms of y.

I started spawning in these objects and they now seem to work fine.

5. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

@jdcart23 I'll look in to the editor script issues. Seems easy enough to fix. Thanks for pointing it out.

@sonderistic Glad you were able to get it working some way at least.

6. thegreatzebadiah

thegreatzebadiah

7. sabinionut56

sabinionut56

if i buy this script it will make my game work better even if it is not a multiplayer or it only works for multiplayer games ?

8. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

9. Rmzn0

Rmzn0

I want to make a 4-player co-op game by purchasing Asset.

Is it possible with your asset?

10. Fuestrine

Fuestrine

@Rmzn0
    That's too broad of a question unfortunately.

Smooth Sync will make your game assets smooth across the network though. If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

11. Foestar

Foestar

No, you will not be able to make a 4 player co-op game by purchasing this asset. You can download Pun2 for free to try out as it will be the most friendly starting point to make a 4 player co-op game.

What this asset DOES do is smooth out your game's player movement over the network meaning all the jittery movement that comes with lag. If you plan on making any kind of multiplayer game and don't know much about smoothing or compensating for lag or just want to save time then buy this. It is SUPER helpful in speeding up your workflow and is easy to implement.

12. saukki

saukki

@Fuestrine Hi, I bought Smooth Sync a few days ago and wanted you to know that it doesn't work with the new Mirror v5.x release due to their API changes.