Search Unity

[Released] Single-Player CCG Kit: create your own single-player CCG with Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamevanilla, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimCo81

TimCo81

Awesome! Greatly appreciated. I think this could easily be extended to make a 'relic' style persistent system then, since they are just statuses that persist across battles. And even potions which are just one time statuses.
    Thanks again.
    Tim

gamevanilla likes this.
  2. Gibbrs

Gibbrs

I wonder if it's possible to create a forum thread to discuss modifications and tweaks to this asset. I realize we would need to be careful not to post too much of the code since it's a paid asset, but it would be awesome to have a place where people could share ideas of things they've done starting with this asset as a base.

One of the first things I did was remove the "fan spread" style visual of the cards. I realize Hearthstone made that popular and it seems like lots of assets seem to mimic it, but I'd rather the cards just be horizontally aligned. However, even though I was able to remove the height variation and rotation, I'm struggling to find a way to show the cards in a typical "Horizontal Layout Group" or "Grid Layout Group". I'd like to do this to basically create areas/panels for the hand and board sections so the cards will expand out and fill those areas with certain spacing, but will constrain within the confines of the area.

I've played around with various Monobehavior tutorials, as well as the previous CCG Kit asset by Gamevanilla, so I'm struggling a bit with this asset due to the ECS structure.

If a thread like this already exists, I'd love to know about it. If not, is there a good place to post something like this? Is it even allowed?

3. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

It is not allowed to publicly disclose any of the contents of an Asset Store asset, as per the Asset Store EULA, so a public forum is not an option. A private forum for customers could be a valid alternative, but at the moment there is not enough demand to justify its creation. Maybe in the future!

Gibbrs likes this.
  4. Gibbrs

Gibbrs

Ok thanks for the response. It might be a good idea at some point to have a private forum on the gamevanilla site where people can openly discuss tips and tricks. It might even increase sales if people knew they could have a place to get help/ideas from after purchasing an asset.

gamevanilla likes this.
  5. jbob007

jbob007

I'd be interested in that.

Gibbrs likes this.
  6. TimCo81

TimCo81

I vote discord ;) And i feel like the system that deals with the hand would be a great place to start.

Gibbrs likes this.
  7. Gibbrs

Gibbrs

Discord is a good idea. Yeah I've been tinkering around a bunch and I now sort of have my hand cards going into a Horizontal Layout Group (parenting to a hand object panel), but the DOTweening is all sorts of messed up because of it. I then made it so any played cards get put into a played cards panel instead of instantly going to the discard pile. I'm trying to build a game more similar to Ascension or Dominion rather than Slay the Spire, so I want all my played cards to stick around until the End Turn button is pressed before they all go to discard.

8. JeppeTarp

JeppeTarp

Considering purchasing this. However it states in your documentation that we are not allowed to release a game using this code or am I reading this incorrect?

If I use the card editor and this template as a baseline for a completely new game with all my own card art, skins, cards, monsters etc. Am I not allowed to release it?

9. TimCo81

TimCo81

Im sure gamevanilla can correct me if im wrong, but i think the section your looking for is just above that.

"The copyright of Single-Player CCG Kit and all of its contents (including both the art and the source code) belongs to gamevanilla ©. After purchasing Single-Player CCG Kit, you have the right to use it only for the purposes of developing and publishing a final game."

Again INAL but my understanding of that line you quoted is that you are not allowed to sell the CCG Kit itself, even if reskinned. Ie the version usable in the unity editor.

Where as you can create a game from it and sell that as a final game (which wouldnt include the editor only code, etc).

Thanks

Tim

gamevanilla likes this.
  10. TimCo81

TimCo81

To make an Ascension/Dominion game you'd definitely want to make a second system to handle the played hands. You'd need to handle sorting them where they are dropped. And obviously move the played card logic to the end turn logic. I almost wonder if the CCG Kit (not the single player CCG kit) would be easier to adapt to that style of game. I have not personally used the CCG Kit but based on summary it seems to be fit that style more.

gamevanilla likes this.
  11. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

@TimmyC is spot-on; you can definitely release a game using the kit and the main restriction is that you cannot redistribute or resell any of its contents (art, code, etc.). So, only final games are allowed. This applies to any Asset Store asset and you can find the exact details in the Asset Store EULA.

12. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

One quick note: the Horizontal Layout Group is intended to be used with UI objects (which have a Rect Transform instead of the regular Transform), so you will probably need to roll your own, similar mechanism to do this, because the cards are regular sprites and not UI images.

Gibbrs likes this.
  13. SmugMonster

SmugMonster

Just purchased this asset, LOVE it so far. I was able to import a character from Spine and get it set up as a player pretty easily. He happily sits in his Idle animation motion.

Getting my player to animate is, so far, the only part of this system that I'm not finding at all intuitive. So far there's nothing in the documentation (that I've been able to find anyway) about adding animations.

I've mimicked how the Wizard's effects are set up by creating a separate animation controller for his "attack" animation, which is the entry state. I then created a prefab with the Animator component, with the attack animation controller attached to it.

In the Player tab of the Editor, I set "on dealt damage" to the new attack prefab, but he doesn't do anything when he deals damage (or takes damage, or anything else).

On another note, it seems like there are very limited ways to trigger animations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since you can't set each card to trigger a particular animation, every single card that deals damage will use the same animation, and so on, right?

I'm not an expert at all, quite the opposite, but it seems to me that it would be a lot more intuitive to allow cards to trigger parameters in the player's animator when played. That would mean you could have unique animations for different cards.

gamevanilla likes this.
  14. TimCo81

TimCo81

If youre familiar with coding you can simply add the spine animation to the action you want. If you find the action and simply set your spine animation on that action (something like
    skeletonAnimation.state.AddAnimation(1, "attack", false, 0) ), it would work pretty easily. Then just set it back to idle at the end (or whatever state you desire).

I was able to setup a simple attack then back to idle animation in a few minutes. Might take a little more to make it super fluid.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    gamevanilla likes this.
  15. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you! The trigger system is in a very early state and definitely needs to be extended in order to support more advanced use cases as you point out. Having it per-card actually makes a lot of sense and your feedback is duly noted!

16. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you as always, Tim! Your help is very much appreciated. :)

17. SmugMonster

SmugMonster

I figured it was still in its infancy, since the completed features are so easy to use. I'm very excited to see where it goes!

That's what I was thinking! Appreciate the input. Just wasn't sure if there was a way to do it within the editor or something that I was just totally spacing out and missing. I'll do it in code for now and see what system ends up implemented.

gamevanilla likes this.
  18. Sedgr

Sedgr

Current version of this asset, if you change the mana in the character template, it gets reset to 3 mana because the 3 mana is hardcoded in the Turn manager. If you remove the line entirely mana doesn't reset per turn. Several ways to solve the issue, but if anyone else wonders why the character template mana number doesnt seem to do anything, thats probably the reason.

gamevanilla likes this.
  19. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Oops, will fix this! Thank you.

20. Sedgr

Sedgr

No problem! Things to be expected when in early access. Looking good so far, Im going to keep an eye on this as it progresses. Keep up the good work.

gamevanilla likes this.
  21. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello!

First of all, I hope you are all good in these trying times.

I would like to thank you all for the incredible reception Single-Player CCG Kit has had so far; it is sincerely appreciated. The amount of feedback has been incredible and, frankly, a bit overwhelming (in a good way). So many great ideas! I have been taking some time to try and gather it all as best as possible and, before moving forward with the planned roadmap, I would like to ask you: what are the most important things you believe we should work on next?

There is also an important decision that needs to be made regarding the Entities package. I was planning on moving the kit to Unity 2019.4.0 LTS with the next update, as LTS releases are usually a convenient minimum required version in terms of engine stability. But the Entities package has recently moved to requiring 2020.1.0 or higher. This means if we plan to continue using the package, we will need to use 2020.1.0 as the minimum required version of the engine for the kit. What are your thoughts regarding this? Should we stop using the Entities package altogether? Is the fact that the kit is using the Entities package something you value or you would prefer the kit to use classic Unity instead?

Personally, I am a big believer in data-oriented programming. Having said that, the Entities package is still in preview and it looks like it will be for quite some time. This worries me in terms of supporting the kit (not being able to target LTS releases of the engine for a long time, more bugs outside our control, more complexity for users due to the use of preview packages), so I would consider migrating to classic Unity if the community believes it is the best option to move forward. I really want the kit to be as easy to use as possible for you.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  22. Gibbrs

Gibbrs

Hi Gamevanilla, good to hear from you. I've been hoping to hear some news about this kit being updated.

From the roadmap, the things I would find more useful to have next would be the Combat Rewards, Deck and Discard Pile View, Card Upgrades, and Example Map scene, in that order. The card effects, buffs, debuffs, are good too, but I feel like there is already a fair amount of that existing in the current build.

As I'm just a hobbyist and haven't fully released a game, I don't have an answer for your Unity version question, but I do think that having this kit in object oriented structure would have some benefit because there would be some cross over with the multiplayer CCG kit, as well as not relying on preview builds. However, I was drawn to this kit partially because of the ECS/DOTs infrastructure because I feel like it's going to be very powerful. The type of card game I would like to make would be most similar to Ascension, which is a game that can have hundreds of cards instantiated at the same time.

There's also the fact that people who have been using the current SPCCG kit for a while now may have extended it in various ways with ECS, so switching to object oriented at this point could cause serious problems for those people who want to add in the new features.

I don't suppose Unity has an ETA on when an LTS with ECS not in preview status will be released, do they?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    gamevanilla likes this.
  23. TimCo81

TimCo81

Hello! Im doing well. Hope you as well. Busy as always hah.
    To me personally I would put the Example Map Scene/transitions in/out of combat as the top of my list. As it would make iteration much easier. Even the ability have to it randomly select enemies from a list as you go would give it much more of a 'game' feeling to me. I would say rewards are definitely right behind that as again they introduce player choices/power and help move it from a single card combat example towards a more flushed out game. For example, some combination of a relic/persistent buff/debuff system and card upgrades. After that I agree with the other things on the roadmap/echoed here, Multiple Enemies/triggered enemy actions, and Draw/Discard.

Personally I think I would rather lose the complexity. Mainly to avoid having to use constant preview builds with the way unity has been handling ECS. ECS has been in constant flux and still hasnt stabilized. ie what is their goal is related to the editor, or even their version to version implementations/bugs. I would much rather be able to use an LTS version. And I think most importantly for a single player CCG the gains wont be that dramatic. On low end mobile Im sure the performances would be tangible, but otherwise I dont see it has a huge benefit to me personally vs dealing with unity's implementation of ECS.

Again just my opinions. I thank you for your great work. Keep it up! It is definitely appreciated.

Gibbrs and gamevanilla like this.
  24. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your feedback! I agree with you both; moving to a more complete gameplay flow (map, rewards, upgrades) would make a lot of sense as the next step.

With regards to keeping ECS or not: I definitely understand both sides. If anyone else wants to chime in, it would be very much appreciated.

Gibbrs and TimCo81 like this.
  25. ponasoft

ponasoft

Hi David,

First of all thanks so much for CCG Kit I built my roguelike deck builder (Dreamshard) on top of that kit. I made a card game that slay the spire meets hearthstone. I liked it because it is extendable, one way or another I found a way to my gameplay improvements or problems.

I also bought this one but could not try it enough yet. I hope this will be extendable like the first one. I don't mean to be extremely easy I mean to be as much as flexible. Also, I think you can aim the newest technologies or versions because this kit is also in early access and it will probably take time for a fully-featured release, and that time new unity systems might be stable. Converting the project in future might be more painful both for you or us. We can talk about what are the benefits and drawbacks of new systems.

I will also write about features when I can. Althought I am making roguelike deckbuilder with CCG battle mechanics I played most of the roguelike deckbuilders that is available and even if kit don't have some specific features like multiple player(npc in your side) it would be very nice to be flexible so we can extend in what we need like CCG kit.

Gibbrs and gamevanilla like this.
  26. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

27. GenesisPig

GenesisPig

Any update or ETA on next update and what features are included?

28. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Currently gathering feedback from the community for the next update (see the latest messages on this thread).

29. GenesisPig

GenesisPig

I've been through the whole thread.

Worried about this becoming yet another dead asset. There were very minor updates since its launch in January, but the last minor update was in April.
    You have been "gathering feedback" since August 14th at the latest. I'm just asking how much longer until this asset will be substantially updated and fleshed out since you first released it in January as promised.

There is still no hover zoom, which was promised as a feature in the early batch of updates.

-Implement a basic complete game flow cycle ASAP (sample map, rewards, relics?, multiple enemies)
    -Hover zoom (should have been implemented months ago or at release)
    -No more micro updates for buffs or a new poison-like debuff. Start putting out actual meat.
    -Entities vs object-oriented doesn't matter. Entities is harder for people to learn (less accessible). The performance benefits for these kinds of games don't seem like it is really going to matter that much.But for the life of this asset you are going to have to move to the new standard to maintain relevancy. At this point I'd rather you just stick with entities than restructure the whole code because of how long it might take you.

30. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I will just ignore the passive-aggresive, off-puting tone and take the actual feedback from here. Thank you!

31. GenesisPig

GenesisPig

I listed legitimate concerns and grievances. You have yet to give the community any timeline for the next update (which was my original question) or comment why the hover zoom has still not been implemented.

32. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

I do not do ETAs (never have); as mentioned in earlier posts I have been focused on gathering additional feedback and redesigning certain elements of the kit based on the initial feedback from the community. That is actually the entire point of having the asset in early access mode. When a new release is ready, I will announce it here as I have always done in the past.

As to: why is feature X not there yet? The answer is usually because feature Y was considered more important at the time (by the community, me or both).

ponasoft likes this.
  33. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

34. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello! I want to share some news about the changes that are coming with the next update of the kit, as they are pretty substantial:
    • The ECS-based architecture has been replaced with a ScriptableObject-based one. While the Entities package was originally planned to be released as stable during 2020, it is now clear that it will take a few years to be completely ready for production purposes, so it felt reasonable to move to a more traditional architecture in terms of stability and support. I highly recommend watching this Unite talk if you are not familiar with scriptable objects.
    • Status types are not hardcoded anymore and you can define your own, custom ones more easily.

• Effect actions are defined on a per-card basis now, which means you can have different FX for every card.

• Effect actions are defined in groups now, which makes it much more easy to share them between differents cards/enemies.

• There is no separate tab for configuring the enemy intents anymore; they are defined in-place now.

The end result of these changes is that we have a more simple and, at the same time, flexible codebase now. Thank you for your excellent feedback, everyone!

I have tried to upload this update to the Asset Store, but the process does not seem to work with Unity 2020.2.0 (which the kit is using now). I have reported a bug but, in the meantime, I will continue working on the rest of the roadmap features.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    ponasoft and TimCo81 like this.
  35. TimCo81

TimCo81

Looks Great! Keep up the good work. The Ryan Hipple talk is definitely a great talk. Cant wait to give it a try.

gamevanilla likes this.
  36. Gibbrs

Gibbrs

Any update on the release of the Scriptable Object release of the kit? I'm wanting to try it out again since I seem to fare better with ScriptableObjects than I was doing with entities.

37. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Still waiting for the submission process to be fixed for 2020.2.0; I reported the bug to Unity a couple of weeks ago and they are aware of it. In the meantime, you can always ask for the update via our support channel and we will be happy to send it to you.

38. Adarkkar

Adarkkar

Just some quick feedback from someone that was looking to purchase it and read this thread from start to finish. Up front, let me say this asset looks great (I will almost certainly purchase it) and kudos to the developer for being so active, involved, and responsive.

1. I agree with others that say there should be some kind of forum/discord (other than this thread on unity) for people using this asset. This would be a great place to learn from each other, help each other and trouble shoot known issues, generate ideas, give quicker, more detailed feedback to the developer, or even find a team that wants to make great card games.

I don't think the Unity forum would be the right place for this, and for someone looking to purchase this, it's a great selling point. The number of benefits for both the developer and any customers is pretty solid, even if the community is small. I would even volunteer to help moderate it, as I'm sure others would too. I guarantee there would be more exposure to the public, and more interaction than just doing everything through the thread on Unity. Besides, I would love to be a part of a niche community that is directly developing card games.

I can understand why the developer might have concerns regarding piracy, but there's a couple ways to deal with that. For one, you could just have a public discord server, with private channels for those that can validate a purchase. Or just have a private forum via the website (although discord would probably work best for most people). This seems to be an easy, cost effective solution to deal with the major concerns.

gamevanilla likes this.
  39. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you so much for your excellent feedback! At this point, I believe there are quite a few users interested in having a private community, so I will definitely set one up. You can expect an announcement here soon. :)

Adarkkar and jbob007 like this.
  40. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

And we are up! I have just finished setting up a Discord server and a private GitHub repository for the kit to make having access to the latest version of the codebase more convenient. In order to get access to the customer-only channels of the server and the GitHub repository, please send us your Discord and GitHub usernames and your invoice number via the contact form at our website and we will grant you access.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  41. Gibbrs

Gibbrs

Thanks so much! The gamevanilla site is crashing for me at the moment (starts to load, but then times out), but I'll try it later to get my VIP discord access. Looking forward to collaborating with people way smarter than me, haha.

42. ExtraCat

ExtraCat

The asset looks amazing. I'll gladly buy it once it becomes available on unity store (to not rely on third party means of downloading it).

43. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you! Please note the asset is already available on the Asset Store; it is just the latest update that could not be submitted because the submission process did not work with Unity 2020.2.0 yet (it does now, so expect the latest update to be available on the Asset Store as well soon). Just mentioning this because, with the current discount, the asset is at the lowest price it will probably ever be. :)

44. canturker00

canturker00

How does the card upgrading works? Can you show us some screenshots or videos on asset store page? I plan to buy it

45. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Card templates have an optional Upgrade field that allows you to specify the upgraded card template, as you can see here. You will be responsible for actually triggering the upgrade logic in your game as needed, though; it is not something built into the kit by default.

46. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

In order to centralize all our technical support efforts, we are closing this forum thread. If you have any questions or need any assistance, please reach us via the contact form at our website and we will be happy to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.