Search Unity

Physics [RELEASED] Silantro Flight Simulator

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Oyedoyin1, Mar 20, 2018.

?

Which is better in terms of "user-friendliness" and "performance"

Poll closed Aug 13, 2018.
  1. 1 giant script

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Multiple smaller scripts

15 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Engine Distortion is coming to the Fixed Wing system

khos likes this.
  2. khos

khos

I recently purchased your asset, looks very useful, I asked about flexible airfoils a while back, but would like to ask for some guidance if ok. What I want to simulate is a paraglider, this is a flexible wing, if moving forwrd the inside of the wing is filler with air keeping the airfoil shape. I imagine this pat will be near impossible to simulate (maybe with a Unity cloth component?!), any way I was thinking of making several small wing segments, each one uses your asset as airfoil, then use a hinge type mechanism to bind these segments together (probably about 24 of them). The wing has a very low CG due to line/harness. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.
    Eventually I want to be able to use a paraglider to slope soar in game just by using wind forces going up a hill/mountain, no engine attached.

3. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

That's actually a really nice idea and I'll love to see it's implementation. But to make things simple you can still use the normal configuration with some slight adjustments and customization, kinda like this

It's using 2 wings for the hands, 2 wings for the legs and a balancing tail to absorb extra yaw forces.

4. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

I just purchased silantro. Great asset! How do I set up cockpit views on the default planes included? I notice they all have cockpits on the 3d models, but pressing "C" does not change views at all.

A tutorial on how to set up cockpit views would be great!

6. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Actually, it's the easiest thing to do ;)

1. Create a new camera and place it within the aircraft hierarchy
    2. Position it to show the cockpit and make the required rotation adjustments so you get a good view.
    3. Find the Camera gameObject with the "SilantroCamera" script
    4. Assign the new camera into the "Interior Camera" spot

5. That's it!! Just to use the "C" key to switch the cameras

7. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

excellent, thank you. So in theory, that would be any camera rig, including a VR camera?

8. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Yes technically. But I've not fully worked on the VR camera system i.e You can only have either Exterior or Interior at a time (you can't transition)

For now, just place the "OVRCameraRig" in the interior camera gameobject or place it within the "Default Camera" gameobject and make the right transform adjustments. Once I have the time I'll work on transitioning from Interior to Exterior VR.

9. khos

khos

Loving your asset so far. Can I request you to make a simple RC aircraft demo scene, would find that very useful. Not sure if that would be possible for inclusion in a future update?

10. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

No problem, if I can get a good model. But isn't the RC System just a scale version of real aircrafts?

We can just scale down a true model and set it up just like you would in real life.

11. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle

12. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle Flight Test

13. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

14. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

hi there, also is there a way to freelook around the cockpit once you have a cockpit camera set up?

15. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I'll integrate that into the next update

16. jtok4j

jtok4j

Greetings,

Fantastic asset. I concur that a simple RC aircraft demo scene would be helpful, in order to shave down development time, since a remote control plane that's flown for fun wouldn't need so many features added to the plane.

Keep up the great work, and looking forward to an RC aircraft demo scene. :)

Oyedoyin1 and khos like this.
  17. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I'll try and include one in the V2.0 system redesign I'm working on.

Also, the "Hawker Fury MK1" will be added as a "stock" demo aircraft. It will only have the basic system components.

18. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Special Helicopter Demonstrators now available!!!

1. AH-1W Super Cobra

2. CH-47 Chinook

19. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Hi there, is there anything included to help get the flight yoke, and throttle objects inside of cockpits to follow the movement of your keyboard / joystick?

thanks!

20. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Absolutely

1. The "Silantro Dials" takes care of dial displays within the aircraft. I'm going to introduce digital displays in a later update.

2. The "Silantro Lever" takes care of moving controls like the Pedals, Yoke or Throttle

21. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Thank you!

Also. I have been blowing up the F35 it seems like very easily........... It seems to blow apart when I get up to high speed, and then try to make a turn or slight manuver, and she blows up. Too much g force?

22. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

also, is there any documentation on setting up the cockpit instrumentation..... such as the HSI, or altimeter and airspeed indicator?

23. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

:D:D:D:D..I wish, but true aerodynamic stress and reaction simulation hasn't been added yet, hopefully sometime in the future tho.

The reason the F-35 blows up is actually simple.."Unity Physics vs Silantro" :D

I'm trying to have as much realism as possible and the F-35 has internal weapons ergo I have to put missiles with colliders inside the aircraft collider which causes some problems with the simulation physics.
    Everything is usually fine if the aircraft rigidbody is undisturbed or under relatively small stress, but things get weird once you start doing manoeuvres or turns.

The solution is to use section box colliders to prevent internal collisions, which I'll implement in v2.0

24. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

//
    1. Create an empty gameObject
    2. Add the "SilantroDial" script
    3. Assign the Needle and Aircraft Gameobjects
    4. Set the required variables

Check Pages 39-40 of this document: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxxu5ad2pzzrdkg/Helicopter Manual.pdf?dl=0

25. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Alsso, thanks for all the help.

One quick question. I just purchased the tornado.

How do I sweep the wings? How do I reverse the thrust? It would be really nice if you included docs for this stuff.... at all.

26. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Use the "J" key to activate the Swept Wings, but the thrust reversal is still under testing so it's not fully mapped yet, So I have a function "public void InitiateReverseControl()" that can be called within the TurboFan engine script.

Normally you can find the mapped inputs from the tool menu "Oyedoyin/Miscellaneous/Setup Input/Detailed Setup

27. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I'm honestly very sorry about the documentation, I haven't updated it since v1.2 despite the new features I've added.

But that's mainly my problem, so much stuff keeps changing and I've planned on making a major upgrade (which I'm currently working on) of the asset components which will change a lot within the package. So it wouldn't make sense to have a documentation today and a completely different one tomorrow.
    For example, I've merged the Center of gravity script with the instrumentation script to save performance which means the documentation I would have written on Monday will be different from the one I'll have to write now.

28. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

I set up an input foor "Thrust Reverser" set it to a key, and still doesn't work.

29. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

The engines have to be on and power above 50%

30. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Getting models with full cockpit textures yet alone gauges is one of the hardest things I usually have to do with the setups.

Modellers charge me extreme amounts for the base exterior + cockpits and if I try to market the planes and break even I'll have to list the aircraft around $100+ which I think is very unfair and uneconomical. So I usually get the base exterior and make my own cockpit in 3ds max (You'll notice most of the gauges in the video are very similar). But most times people don't ask for or use the cockpits and if it's there, unused it constitutes additional draw calls, so I don't include them.

For example, here the MK1 Fury I'm working on
    1. Here is the actual cockpit

and here's the cockpit I managed to build in max

It isn't accurate, but I'll do for my VR testing, I can add something like this if you want it

31. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

What exactly is the problem? email me silantrosimulator@gmail.com

I'm guessing the handing characteristics i.e too sensitive. That's a major problem for aircrafts with pure elevon controls, that was why I scraped the B-1B setup. It was too easy to enter a spin while performing rolls even with my flight joystick and I didn't want to resort back to basic flight setup.

32. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I changed the setup from Flaps + Full Elevons to Ailerons + Flaps + Elevators

The handling and stability is increased, so if you're not hell-bent on having full realism like me :D, we can change it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  33. redgofighter

redgofighter

Do your 3D design give out models for free or for $. I need realistic looking models as good quality as yours or better i am struggling with my models.Our can you find me a 3D modeler.

34. ISNI

ISNI

Hello ! I would like to know if it is possible to make elliptical airfoils (for aircraft such as spitfire) , because the available shape is a simple 4 sided polygon for the moment

35. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

is there a scene with some examples of working instrument dials?

36. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

one question is, if I were to instantiate a plane as a gameobject, for instance the player picks a level, loads that terrain, etc, then the aircraft gets instantiated........... will the silantro controller in the scene recognize the instantiated aircraft? Or can I make the silantro canvas and controller part of the aircraft prefab, set them up, and then instantiate them all together?

I'm trying to avoid making a level for each aircraft with the same terrain over and over again, and instead instantiate the aircraft all in one level.

37. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Not yet. The Mk1 in v2.0 will come with it tho.

38. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

:D Drawing elliptical shapes with mathematical vector points in Unity alone can be extremely difficult not to talk of doing extra calculations and trying to manipulate the points for control. I've actually experimented with some weird methods but I found out that the extra lift gain/loss (The area difference for the Spitfire I tried was around 0.259 m2) in each case was not worth the extra performance dent.
    So, I actually use and advice people to use multiple aerofoils to make complex wing shapes

And it has worked well so far. But if I find a way to manipulate vector points to form complex shapes without incurring a large performance cost, I'll integrate it into the system

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  39. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I usually have them custom make my aircrafts because my requirements are very specific and different from what they provide by default and they charge me for that.

40. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Please try and mail me. I have a special notification system so that I can get the requests/questions immediately and reply to them as fast as I can.

Normally if the scene is setup correctly, instantiating a new aircraft is as easy as instantiating a new Gameobject. But you will have to manually send the details of the aircraft you're currently controlling to the Display system attached to the canvas. You can check out the Enter-Exit system to find more info about that.

But to avoid unnecessary complexity (for now), you can try this;
    1. Setup the aircrafts that need to be in a particular scene, for each scene
    2. Deactivate the aircraft gameObject
    3. When the player loads the scene, enable the aircraft and continue.
    Unless It'll mess with you dev process in which case I advice checking the Enter-Exit system

The main solution to this problem is part of the things I'm currently working on. With the new system, you can instantiate an aircraft and have it in flight and ready for control immediately (Just like in Warthunder).

41. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Thanks for all the help.

So I own that cheap $7 Sr -71 blackbird model from the asset store, it looks like a very complicated aircraft to set up airfoils for........ Do you have any advice on tackling the SR-71?

42. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I honestly had plans to set the Blackbird, even had the model made. But I've just not had the time to build the aircraft.

The main problem isn't the wings, in fact, they're pretty simple compared to that of the F-117. And I've tested Mach 3+ flight dynamics on a special version of the F-14 Tomcat.

The problem is the propulsion and performance system. The engine powering the aircraft is pretty unique, it's a Turboram Jet which I need to develop differently. What makes that extremely difficult is how little "mathematical" data you can get on the aircraft while scouring the normal realms of the internet ( Don't want some CIA dudes knocking on my door if I dig deeper :D). But I hope to get some info from some Xplane developers when I finally get the time.

For now, I'll advise you use two near triangular wings with a NACA 63-108 (xt/c = 30%, t/c = 8).... airfoil, elevon and ruddervator controls and an unrealistically powerful Turbofan Engine with full afterburners.

43. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

when is your fiat coming out? I'd pay yah for that now. :) I only drive fiat cars, so I'm really excited about the fiat aircraft.

44. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I really didn't plan on releasing the setup. When do you need it?
    I'll have to go back to 3ds MAX and make it customer friendly, It's basically a "factory-fresh" test aircraft in its current state :D:D

45. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

just purchased the f16 and sent you a message about it. the engine power never comes on, it will start up, but never go passed 187 thrust, and then the engine sound stops.

also the fiat would be cool for sure, whenever you are able to.

46. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

##More ground effect flight tests

1. Boeing 777

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  47. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Grumman F-14 Tomcat Updated Flight Tests

48. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

49. Oyedoyin1