Search Unity

Physics [RELEASED] Silantro Flight Simulator

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Oyedoyin1, Mar 20, 2018.

?

Which is better in terms of "user-friendliness" and "performance"

Poll closed Aug 13, 2018.
  1. 1 giant script

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Multiple smaller scripts

15 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. iichiversii

iichiversii

Blur textures look great, really excited for this

2. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Destruction Test

HeadClot88 likes this.
  3. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Intermeshing Rotor/Syncrocopter Configuration now available

Kaman K-MAX Flight Test

4. SimLoop

SimLoop

Do you explain anywhere what units us are expecting for the parameters used in the subsystems?

5. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I use Metric units almost entirely. The only parts with imperial units are the instrumentation to calculate air density, liftfan and propeller system to calculate thrust from the induced power.

6. SimLoop

SimLoop

I found what I was looking for in the manual right after I posted that message :>\ Should have checked there first.

Oyedoyin1 likes this.
  7. SimLoop

SimLoop

Have you ever had any complaints about not being able to see the airfoil wing components in any Unity version?
    I've created a left wing and right wing, but cannot see the components. Not visible. Using 2019.1.0f2.

8. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Not at all. I've not tried the asset in that particular unity version ...but I'll try and do that next week to see if there's a problem or bug. Can you send me some screenshots?

9. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Cirrus Vision SF-50 Flight Test

10. Matchstick21

Matchstick21

Is there an english manual? The dropbox link doesn't seem to have one at the moment.

11. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

12. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I just tested it out and everything works fine, try creating a new project folder and reimport the package.

13. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

14. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  15. Matchstick21

Matchstick21

Hi again! I bought the asset and love the detail you put into it. I do have a a request though. Would it be possible to centralize all Input calls to a single component, and if it's not too much work, make it be a separate component from SilantroControls?

Ideally SilantroControls is bools/floats instead of strings and have this other component, say SilantroInput, do the Input checks and update the individual properties on SilantroControls. If SilantroControls acts as a data source, I can write my own components to feed it inputs, and then the other Silantro components are input agnostic. Some things just off the top of my head that this would help: using a custom input plugin like InControl, writing my own AI, or syncing input across the network for multiplayer (was looking into this specifically, hence the request).I'd like to limit the changes to internal Silantro components as much as possible so that keeping the asset up to date doesn't become a chore, especially if I try to integrate some kind of networking.

Alternatively, if that all is more work than it's worth, SilantroControls could be a base class with all virtual properties and the Input calls could be made by an inheriting class that overrides the properties. Then I could make my own inherited class and have it hook into what I need it to.

Oyedoyin1 likes this.
  16. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Hi,

This sounds like a really good idea and I'll like to talk about it more. "Silantro Controls" itself was meant to be a centralized form of control, but I still kept some kind true dependency of the components to a minimum just in case you have multiple operational aircrafts in a scene (So that they don't share control variables).

What I was planning to make things easier was to decentralize the controls to the aircraft controller. In this case, each "SilantroController" will be responsible for obtaining and managing the control floats for the attached components that way you can disengage the inputs if you want something customized.

17. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Hi ! Considering purchase; I'm wondering how easy it would be to have Silantro simulate like a small RC plane; more close to arcade than pure realism; I'd still want stall and semi-realistic behaviors. Is it worth considering or should I be looking to another package ? thanks !

18. broesby

broesby

Hi all,.. Been watching Silantro a long time and finally bought iy on sale, I have been using uFS for years now and been happy with it but it is deprecated and moving up versions of Unity albeit it is actually still working it's not the best basis for making a game with loads of console errors to ignore ;)

So Silantro seems very promising - I hope to get time to test it during the weekend.
    A few initial questions:

1. Will it work with Rewired? I see you have a a discussion about controls above.
    2. How about Camera control - I have different external Camara solutions I would love to try with Silantro - will that be possible?
    3. Did you work anymore on a wind-parameter (I asked some time back ;)) And I would love to have an option to set wind direction, speed and level of turbulence internally - probably no easy task, I know :rolleyes:

Best wishes, Jesper, Denmark

19. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

This thread is related to this discussion ...

https://forum.unity.com/threads/tutorial-modular-input-system-for-your-unity-game.493991/

20. Matchstick21

Matchstick21

Sorry, meant to get back faster but busy day.

Yeah, I think I see that, all of the parts have controllable flags on them. I'm still digging around the code so forgive me if I suggest something that it already does. The big thing for networking is that every plane would have someone 'controlling' it, but only one would listen for the current player's inputs, and the rest would be listening for changes across the network.

If SilantroController acts as the source of floats/bools for all the other components that sounds like it would work. I could disable inputs on planes that are not the current player and sync the values instead, or attach a networked component to send inputs. Worst case I only have to change 1 Silantro component, but that is still pretty good.

21. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

The size of the aircraft is not a constraint for the system, you might have to scale up the weight of the aircraft though as unity will have problems with you trying to simulate a rigidbody with a very small mass. Anything above 10kg and you should be fine.
    You're also free to customize the system components to make it as arcade as you want it.

22. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Hi Jesper,

1. My next post should answer your first question.
    2. The camera system is not hooked directly to the aircraft so you can use any camera system you wish. Just follow the camera outline in the controller script.
    3. Check this post https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-silantro-flight-simulator.522642/page-12#post-4444999

23. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Fortunately, I was working on the helicopter controller when I saw your post and I've integrated something I think will solve a lot of problems.

The component controls are now pooled together by the controller script i.e all the control floats (pitch, roll, yaw and collective), levers and switches are now done from the controller script.
    So just incase you want to use a custom control system, you can switch the control type from base to custom and then set the floats however you wish. The attached components like rotors, aerofoils, levers e.t.c will then take their respective control variables from the controller script.

The new "Base" control system goes like this
    Unity Input Manager -- Control Board -- PhantomController -- Individual Components (Rotors, Levers, Aerofoils e.t.c)
    while the custom system will look like this
    Custom Control Input (Rewired, AI e.t.c) -- PhantomController -- Individual Components (Rotors, Levers, Aerofoils e.t.c)

##Controller Script

##Component Script

Hopefully, I'll get some free time between now and next week to incorporate the new system into the Fixed Wing simulator

Matchstick21 likes this.
  24. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

25. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

26. Matchstick21

Matchstick21

Thank you! I appreciate this a lot.

27. broesby

broesby

Great work,.. thx

Regarding wind I was hoping that you at some point would have the time to incorporate the windvector in your weather module ;) I am no coder, so I have difficulties pulling this off myself... But a setup like this below would be absolutely perfect:

wind.jpg

A: Wind-direction (0-360) + wind-force = windvector
    B: Upwind /downwind (+1 / -1) + wind-force = upwindvector
    C: windvector + upwindvector = final windvector

Add this to the relative windvector on the wingscript.

To top it through the roof:

1) There could be turbulence-factor (lerp) in the wind force (A)
    2) There could be a toggle on/off exstra upwind so you could have upwindzones / thermal plumes like IRL - for instance a capsule collider with ONCOLLISIONENTER and ONCOLISSIONEXIT triggers added to a basic up or downwind.

Just in case you didn't have anything else to do with your time :rolleyes::eek:;) - hope you get my irony.
    No hurries and worries.

Jesper, Denmark.

PS: Courtesy of AlanMattano for parts of the above ;)

Oyedoyin1 likes this.
  28. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

:):) No problem. We're gonna do the math together when the time is right.

broesby likes this.
  29. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

30. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

31. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Mobile Demo Flight Test 2

32. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

How well Silantro handles acrobatics like with an Extra 300 ?

33. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Pretty well I would think. I was actually supposed to do a demo of the Sbach 342 XA-42 but the 3D modeler messed up the order and I ended canceling. If you can get a good model I'm still interested in trying it out.

34. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Like any of these ? https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=extra-300

Oyedoyin1 likes this.
  35. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

HELICOPTER MOBILE WEAPONS TEST

36. twiggyash

twiggyash

Hi, I'm thinking about buying "Silantro Flight Simulator Toolkit" asset but I do not understand one thing.
    How many airplanes/helicopters are included in this asset?
    Do I have to buy other Silantro plane assets too or this is enought?

Thank you for help.

37. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Hello

Silantro Flight Toolkit is specifically designed for fixed-wing aircrafts and it comes with 8 aircraft demos, you can, however, purchase more aircraft setups if you need them.
    The Rotary wing simulator will come with 2 helicopter demos and a third one will be used for tutorial purposes.

38. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Harbin Z-19 Weapons Test

39. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

AH-64 Apache Flight Test

40. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

MD 520 Flight Test

41. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Update Flight Weapons and Targeting System

42. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

UPDATE ELECTRIC A29 FLIGHT TEST

43. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

44. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

45. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

46. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

47. patchworkx

patchworkx

Attached Files:

48. patchworkx

patchworkx

where to find that asset

49. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

:D This has come up many times. Yes you can even before, but I've integrated a new control system to make it easier
    Here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-silantro-flight-simulator.522642/page-13#post-4498447

I'm done with the integration just waiting for the Asset store team before I release the new update.

50. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1