Search Unity

Physics [RELEASED] Silantro Flight Simulator

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Oyedoyin1, Mar 20, 2018.

?

Which is better in terms of "user-friendliness" and "performance"

Poll closed Aug 13, 2018.
  1. 1 giant script

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Multiple smaller scripts

15 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I'm glad to introduce to you Silantro Flight Simulator.

Asset Store Link: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/silantro-flight-simulator-toolkit-128025

Web Demo: https://oyedoyin.itch.io/silantro-flight-simulator

RECOMMENDED BROWSER: MOZILLA FIREFOX

Silantro Flight System provides AAA flight simulation physics in unity with superb aerodynamics, very realistic engines and aircraft components, which can be easily setup and controlled.

Realistic Aerofoil System: Calculates Lift and Drag forces generated by each aerofoil based on the supplied 2D airfoil data while applying the appropriate 3D wing corrections.

Aerofoil Component:

The aerofoils can be controlled with a series of control surfaces both Primary and Secondary, available control include;

Primary: Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder, Elevon, Ruddervator

2. Secondary: Flaps, Slats, Spoilers and Spoilerons

Analysis of aerodynamic coefficients at each section of the aerofoil based on the provided Root and Tip airfoil data i.e. at every section of the wing, the effective coefficient is calculated based on the tip and root airfoil performance data.

Ground effect analysis with detailed influence factor assumptions

Fuselage drag analysis; the wetted surface area of the aircraft fuselage (will be extended to other components in future updates) and the drag generated can be calculated.

Realistic Engine/Propulsion System: The system comes with engines based on actual thermodynamic assumptions, the required data can be easily sourced from Wikipedia or other internet databases.

Performance Data board

Detailed Fuel System

Other Components;

• Health and Destruction System
    • Realistic environmental computation and aerodynamic-effect analysis i.e Ambient Temperature, pressure, density e.t.c variation affects the performance of the aircraft and its components
    • Integrated Radar and Weapons system
    • Dynamic Center of Gravity calculation based on attached fuel tanks and payloads.
    • Flight Data Logging system e.t.c

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. Edy

Edy

Fantastic work! I used to play flight simulators as a kid, and I had even write a very simple but realistic sim. Yours looks really good, and the components seem to be very well designed and arranged based on their functionality.

A couple of suggestions:
    Keep the good work!

Oyedoyin1, John3D and Mr-Logan like this.
  3. VIC20

VIC20

My 2 cents: I think the radar, targeting and weapon system is something you should not add. Many people would prefer a cleaner simulation package over a bloated all purpose solution. While this sounds nice for beginners usually people would prefer to add their own solutions based on their own needs. Don’t forget adding such bonus features will increase your support effort too. Why don’t you release such additional things as perfectly compatible add ons? The quality of the simulation itself is important and so far this looks promising especially with the engine simulation.

Anyway looking forward for this. :)

4. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Thanks Edy, the excel export was actually my first plan but i thought it was going to be too complicated. Thanks for the link, i'm definitely going to add it now ;)

5. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

To be completely honest, i haven't been able to work on the Jet engine for the CTOL and STOVL/VTOL aircrafts because of the weapons and additional features o_O. I'm gonna take your advice and concentrate on the simulation and engines cus i cant wait to work on the F-35 STOVL Fighter;).
    One more thing, out of the components i listed, which one's do you think are essential for the first release??

Mr-Logan likes this.
  6. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I've just added an option to export the Flight Data as .csv file suggested by Edy:):):):)

Sample Log File

More UPDATES coming...

7. VIC20

VIC20

I would finish it first. (so it is working as is. Don’t make any promises, instead wait what people want. And then decide what you add.)
    For the start I would add all engine types you want to add, give the damage system a simple interface where other developers could hook their stuff on (you will never know their specific needs). Absolutely ignore anything related to graphics or weapons because this is not the job of such a package. Instead create a great API so that developers can create their own instruments, visuals for damage, add payload, controllers, etc. I would even give them the possibility to add their own damage system (by overriding the detection of yours) so that they just can tell your system that a part is damaged or not.

The more freedom you give them the less support you must give.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  8. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I just completed the turbofan engine and it works great:)

JRD, John-G and VIC20 like this.
  9. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

UPDATE!!!!! Just submitted the test package for review. Hope its cleared in a couple of days:);)
    Please download, test and review it'll really help me make the final package better and more realistic.

10. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

UPDATE!!!!
    Started work on my STOVL flight system with the F-35 Joint flighter

//
    Vertical Takeoff and Hovering Balance complete....After-burning engine addition next:);)

JRD, Moody_Mek and John-G like this.
  11. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

#UPDATE Hydraulic Door movement system complete.. Now any door or part can be moved smoothly without external animations

Moody_Mek and John-G like this.
  12. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

UPDATE : Afterburner done :)... First test in Conventional takeoff configuration

13. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

UPDATE: Finally flying supersonic with the F35 :):);)
    So happy the simulation holds at supersonic speeds.
    Longer flight video

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Moody_Mek, Bartolomeus755 and John-G like this.
  14. clockfree

clockfree

This looks very intresting, and would consider buying it, but whats holding you from putting it on the asset store ?

15. VIC20

VIC20

He wrote he uploaded it to the store: #10
    But it usually takes several weeks these days before an asset gets approved by the Asset Store team.

16. clockfree

clockfree

Ok great, and @Oyedoyin1 really good job !

17. KrzysztofBidzinski

KrzysztofBidzinski

Looks nice.
    I know exactly how difficult is to implement real life physics to flight model.
    Can you perform dead-stick-landing with this sim?

18. John-G

John-G

Checking the asset store every day for this to release, hoping to replace uFS system for flight dynamics.
    How is drag modelled for non standard configurations, ie for floats of a float plane - will the drag from these affect the cog of the aircraft correctly.

19. MBrown42

MBrown42

Wow, very impressive, having taken aerospace and aeronautics engineering classes and getting it to work well in Unity is a great accomplishment. Well done! My only quick note is that (and perhaps this is outdated), when the plane with a wing exploded hits the ground, the wing briefly re-appears for a frame or two. Do you replace the model with a pieces one at impact time and if so I guess check for missing wings! Very cool.

20. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

My first submission was declined because some prefabs (Explosions in the example scene) were not set up correctly :(, but I've been working on making the asset easier to work with and more user friendly while adding a couple of new systems.:):):) which i'm on course to be done with this Friday!!..
    //
    A new aircraft can now be created from the Gameobject menu, which gives a default aircraft with the selected engine.
    and additional components can be created from the dedicated toolbar with just a couple of clicks

//
    //
    I've also added a fuel distribution system which now enables aircraft to have multiple tanks(Internal and External) and can perform REFUEL and FUEL DUMP maneuvers.

//
    I've also added a basic thrust vectoring system for the Turbojet and Turbofan engines

//
    All that is left now is just to put finishing touches on the systems and update the documentation before resubmitting on Friday.

John-G and VIC20 like this.
  21. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Sure.. but it depends on the aircraft and wing configuration. Even with working engines, i usually lose some control on my F-35 test airplane at speeds below 200 knots. So if the airplane can gain enough speed and the wings are wide, i guess you should be able to land before crashing;):)

KrzysztofBidzinski likes this.
  22. KrzysztofBidzinski

KrzysztofBidzinski

23. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I'm really working as fast as i can to get it released:)..Current the main drag is calculated using the approximate fuselage area and maximum aircraft speed as reference points (Unity default drag system is so hard to work with).
    I guess i could add a new component to mark additional parts and their drag effects on the airplane.

24. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

:) No, the explosion actually "disintegrates" the plane..Each pre-selected mesh component is made a rigidbody and separated for the airplane body.

25. MBrown42

MBrown42

whoops, sorry, my bad.

26. John-G

John-G

That would be a handy feature, would work for external stores like bomb racks, torpedoes etc also.

VIC20 likes this.
  27. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

:):) Check this out

Though its still in the early stages, the drag system works. So you can now mark surfaces that generate extra drag.

John-G likes this.
  28. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Asset is Finally cleared!!!

Mr-Logan and John-G like this.
  29. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Mr-Logan likes this.
  30. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Hey, I would be interested in using this for our upcoming PS4 game RC Airplane challenge. I'm looking for something to provide very realistic flight mechanics. Do you have a web demo where I could see how the planes fly and react?

31. Moody_Mek

Moody_Mek

looks very good!

purchased after seeing few videos on your channel

don't give up on the radar and weapons systems, those are very needed in simulation engines ;)

musolo likes this.
  32. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Thank you very much for the purchase, Glad you liked it :)

I'm actually a long way into the radar and weapons systems, the EGT values from the engines is to map the infrared signature of the aircraft on the radar. And I'm done with the Bombs, So the weapons are definitely coming with the next update ;).

Please don't forget to rate too..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Moody_Mek likes this.
  33. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Moody_Mek likes this.
  34. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

A
    Ahhhhhhh I don't.. And I'm in camp for the next three weeks, so I can't work on one :(.
    You can still purchase and try in the meantime, I promise you wouldn't be disappointed :)

35. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

We actually have some coding that works but if your package will improve things, we'd like to try it. If you can throw up a web demo when you get back, we'll take a look but I prefer to know what I'm buying on higher priced assets. Thanks!

36. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

No problem.. That'll be the first thing I do when I get back

reggie_sgs likes this.
  37. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

#UPDATE : Really impressed with the purchases so far... Please don't forget to submit reviews on the store and report bugs to me :).

Silantro Flight Simulator v0.65
    //
    Upgrades :

*New Engines :
    -Piston Engine with Turbocharger option for old propeller plane models
    -Rocket Engine :For missiles and Jet assisted Takeoffs (JATO) .
    -Electric Motors : Solar powered, Battery Powered and Combined Battery & Solar powered.

*Improvements on the drag system.

*Infrared Radar System :with advanced aircraft selection system, i.e selected aircraft reveals current speed , Direction, Altitude and Distance to radar.

*Weather System : Realistic wind zones and day night movement (sun movement) - this will specifically affect solar powered aircrafts and affect nominal temperature which will in turn affect aerofoil and engine performance.

*Better UI display system and possibly more systems ;).
    //
    //
    Upgrade will be available by the end of MAY and will be FREE for those who have purchased the current version till the week after :):):) .

Moody_Mek likes this.
  38. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

39. John-G

John-G

With regards to the next update and Piston engines can you implement a fuel starvation system that can be used for aircraft that suffered fuel cut off when inverted or high gforce maneuvers etc life the early supermarine spitfires.

Info:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling's_orifice

40. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Thanks John. It was part of my initial list of properties, along the line I felt since it was a problem and it has been solved it would not be necessary. But if it will make the Simulator more realistic, I'll include it :)

41. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Please anyone with experience flying ✈ or working with Electric airplanes should please contact me. I need some help. :):)

42. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Not sure where you are based but in the USA it is fairly inexpensive to get some flight experience. If you live near an airport they usually have at least one flight school. At flight school you can get a discovery flight for about $100. Basically it is some amount of time walking around a plane and taking a short flight with an instructor.

There are other "great adventure" type of businesses that let you do other types of "discovery" flight like acrobatic flying or combat flying. You can go for the ride or actually fly depending on experience level with an instructor. Not sure what pricing is for those but in the $500 range sounds about right.

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association is a global organization for general aviation in 75 countries.
    https://www.aopa.org

https://www.aopa.org/about (has more details)

You can use this look up a flight school to find one near where you live.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly/choosing-a-flight-school

If you live near a university that might have an aviation program too. Those are some of places to find people who like to talk about flying and with experience.

For acrobatic flying in the USA then Sean D. Tucker is one of the most popular pilots. You can see his videos on youtube or at airshow. More information can be found here: https://www.oracle.com/us/assets/team-oracle-media-kit-2179517.pdf

If you live near a place where they have airshows then most of the time there is usually a flight school present. That is good place to find people who like to talk about flying too.

43. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Looks really interesting. Would it be possible to make it 'less' realistic ? I mean to have it like 'arcade' touch ?

44. Jesus

Jesus

It's always possible, but really if you're after something a lot less realistic there's the Air Strike Starter kit on the asset store which has a pretty loose grasp on physics but is basically idiot proof in terms of players with an IQ of 2.

I've had success with the UnityFS, and presumably this would be the same, modifying the lift curves so that the plane doesn't stall so much as get really mushy at something stupid like 45 degrees AoA, upping the drag and increasing the thrust, which is a quick and simple way to get players to speed and keep them there (slow speed is still a bad thing). Combined with vertical stabilizers that are 1000% too effective in size and control, so they don't have sideslip or un-responsiveness (but not able to crab the plane too much), and that's the closest you're going to get to idiot-proofing a semi-realistic plane physics setup.

45. John-G

John-G

One thing I noticed with radial engines, they don't appear to have any effect of Propeller torque effect on the airframe.
    Plane holds its rotation along the wings no matter what power is applied.

46. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

I have a feeling the torque from the rotating cylinders balance that from the rotating propeller. But I'm planning on incorporating the torque effect for the piston aircraft in the Update.

John-G likes this.
  47. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

#UPDATE !!!
    Just finished the Piston Engine

//
    Test Videos (Engine attached to a Super Tucano)

// Part 2

//
    //
    Test Data Sheet Extracts

John-G likes this.
  48. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Engine Property Highlights:

1. Carburetor System to simulate engine power loss during dives or negative g turns (requested by John :)),this is demonstrated in both videos and can be seen in the Data sheet (86-89 and 91-96) the engine eventually turns off as the Supercharger is drenched with fuel.
    This effect can be turned off by selecting the "RAE Corrected" Carburetor.

2. Different Supercharger combinations to provide pressure boost and performance improvements at high altitudes.

3. Torque Effect: If turned on, the torque effect of the propeller engine is simulated on the airframe i.e the aircraft tries to roll in the opposite direction of the propeller rotation.

4. Engine Data Logging: Various data values from the piston engine can be saved on the computer as a .csv file. The save file can be selected to either have "units" or not (Graphs can be plotted from values without units).

// Sample Data File

//
    Data Files
    1. No Units: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NcJi1oL2_E0GcT8VInzjmO8fBL1-HuGQ
    2. With Units: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z66moQtWX6V1vOaMKMKCdZoct6mFl9Zz

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Jesus and John-G like this.
  49. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Piston Fighter (Submarine Spitfire) with the new Merlin V12 piston engine and full working weapons almost done... :):);)

TheMrBoy, crashTX and John-G like this.
  50. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Any news on a web demo so we can see how the planes handle?

JoeStrout likes this.