Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] ShaderOne

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by echologin, Sep 8, 2018.

1. echologin

echologin

echoLogin's
    ShaderOne [BETA]
    Your personal all-in-one shader.
    Created by Scott Host, a professional game designer/developer with over 30 years of experience working on hit titles like Raptor Call of the Shadows (1994), Demonstar (1999 - ZDNet shareware of the year ). He also worked for PopCap Games for 4 years. Scott has written shaders for various companies such as b.home shader for SuperBuff, shaders for Sidequest’s Carjack.io and Starjack.io games and Tiny Bull Studios’ VR game Blind. He also made the Post FX Studio and Core Framework for Unity Asset store.

Asset Store Link

What do you get?

A simple-to-use uber shader with countless effects and options. It works right out of the gate with easy to use customization options to set up what you need for your project. If used properly it can be significantly faster than the standard shader and the new SRP.

You have the choice to use unlit, Unity Forward or our own Shader One lighting. ShaderOne comes with our own custom lighting which can have up to 4 directional lights, 16 point lights and 16 spotlights in one shader pass without using the new SRP. ShaderOne also lets you decide how many lights are rendered per vertex or per pixel. You can use substance painter files in not only PBR, but also unlit and regular diffuse lighting.

It also come packed with the following optimized options all with their own customizable settings:
    • Reflection
    • Specular (Fast, Standard Shader, and High Quality)
    • Diffuse Normal and Diffuse Wrap
    • Parallaxing
    • Flowmaps
    • Translucent ( SSS )
    • Tint Lightmaps ( Day/Night )
    • Layers
    • Rotation
    • Scroll
    • UV world mapping ( like a fast Triplanar )
    • Distortion
    • Emission
    • Chromatic Aberration
    • Saturation
    • Scan Lines
    • Rim Lighting
    • Intersect
    • Reflection
    • Surface Maps*
    • Alpha Maps*
    • Specular Maps*
    • Splat Maps (Unity Terrain or Mesh terrain)
    • Cell Animation
    • Dissolve
    • Progress Meters
    • Volumetric Fog and Solid Fog
    • Unlit, PBR, and Simple Lighting
    • Smoothness, Roughness and Specular workflows
    * Surface, Specular and Alpha Maps can store data for metallic, smoothness, roughness, ambient occlusion, parallax height, unlit mask, and progress/dissolve gradient. The Surface map can even be set up to read in UE4 substance painter files to make transitioning from UE4 to Unity easy.

Requirements:
    One license per seat.
    Unity 5.6 and up.
    Shader Model 3 and up.
    Forward Rendering
    (Does not work in deferred rendering.)

Road Map
    • Use less shader keywords
    • Planar reflections
    • Adding VSPRO support
    • Better terrain support
    • Making our own custom SRP
    • Adding the functionality of the Oculus Rift Avatar shaders
    • Decals
    • More effects
    • More Optimizations

Discord ShaderOne Channel

WebGL 2.0 Demo

Comparison to standard shader with unity fog vs ShaderOne with Volumetric 3D fog option

Screenshots below by Thomas Pasieka using his assets and ShaderOne.. his store link

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    dyupa, Mark_01, DrOcto and 7 others like this.
  2. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

looks really great. do you have plan for some water shader ?

3. echologin

echologin

It has flowmaps which move normal maps and textures like water/lava ( can use them on all 4 layers )

could also use distortion to make it more water like

Mark_01, DrOcto and twobob like this.
  4. hopeful

hopeful

Congrats on the new release! :)

Mark_01, twobob and echologin like this.
  5. echologin

echologin

Thanks i thought it would never get done, just so much work ( 2 years on this now )

twobob likes this.
  6. twobob

twobob

Was pretty sure I was going to die first. ;)

Awesome.

DrOcto, hopeful and echologin like this.
  7. echologin

echologin

lol IKR

Just so many options and combinations to test ..

twobob likes this.
  8. zKici

zKici

It was certainly nice having had worked with this in the past and then it was gone :)

Looking good,

I've since played with some Curvy stuff in my project i take it it won't be compatible or?

9. twobob

twobob

in the past? I've been laying on the steps of time waiting for a copy in a hair shirt underslunky. Damn your timewarp skills ;)

10. echologin

echologin

I am not sure what you are asking ?

11. zKici

zKici

Curved World (asset) uses some kind of shaders I assume to have the scene look curved, I assume that will only work if using their shaders?

12. echologin

echologin

ohh .. I think you just need to add a few lines to shader make it work with that

I will look into that

13. zKici

zKici

Now I'm really excited,

Thank you :)

14. echologin

echologin

I will make that an option on the Generator and then material if its on

hopeful likes this.
  15. zKici

zKici

Excellent,

Your shaders always rocked and having this option is a gigantic bonus especially for my current project.

I'm sure in your description having this option on the asset store would also get other people's attention

Looking forward to it all

16. Mark_01

Mark_01

This shader uses your own custom lighting, if I read it right ?

SO does this mean that it will not be compatible with the new asset GPU bakery that uses its lighting
    system as well ? Other then that, looks great!!!

17. echologin

echologin

Custom lighting means I calculate and sort all the lights myself and pass that to shader so when using my lighting you can do many lights in one shader pass ( and that works in unity 5.6 and up without the need for SRP )

That bakery asset looks like it just makes lightmaps, it sounds like it should work with any shader that support lightmaps ( ShaderOne supports unity lightmaps and dynamic lightmaps )

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    twobob and Mark_01 like this.
  18. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thank you, for your reply, Unity has plans for a GPU bake, but .... bakery is here now :D

Bakery does output Unity light maps yes.

echologin likes this.
  19. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Having tested this Shader during production I can only say that it's going to be worth getting! I probably gave Scott plenty of headaches due to my requests in the pasts months. In any case, visually ShaderOne looks similar if not better than current Standard shader while being faster at the same time.

The various features of the shader really make it a great choice if you are looking for flexibility without the need to write or wire up your own shader. ShaderOne likely covers what you need. It should also be stated that it works great in VR! The included Fog looks amazing in VR (haven't seen anything like it to be honest).

Thomas

derkoi, EvilGremlin, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  20. hopeful

hopeful

With the presence of fog, dissolve, rotation, and scroll ... I'm wondering if this shader can take a noise texture as an input, use it more than once but with different scaling and offset, and thus make more interesting animated textures and less repetitive tiled surfaces?

And what about anisotropy, iridescence, translucency, and stuff like that which we may find in the coming Unity HD shader?

Oh ... and glitter? :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    recon0303 and echologin like this.
  21. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

This looks promising. Great work.

echologin likes this.
  22. echologin

echologin

it uses a 3D texture for fog, it also comes with a 3D FOG texture maker so u can make different 3D noise textures

I could add a method where u can pass a custom made 3d texture
    ( right now its set to 64x64x64 but will add option to have different sizes )

>>And what about anisotropy, iridescence, translucency, and stuff like that which we may find in the coming Unity HD >>shader?

All possibilities to add in future..

Mark_01, recon0303 and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  23. hopeful

hopeful

I don't mean to bombard with requests. Just trying to find out what capabilities ShaderOne has, and where it might fit it in.

As far as development goes, I think you should do what makes you happy. :)

24. echologin

echologin

I just added ability to curve the world in shaderOne..
    I will also try to support the curved world asset down the road ( dont own it yet )

hopeful and EvilGremlin like this.
  25. zKici

zKici

Amazing,

This is a huge bonus for me. I'm glad to hear it even has some awesome VR features eventually I will be creating a project for VR as well.

Let me know when you have time and the means to communicate perhaps I can send you some screenshots of my current project and give you some ideas as to what I need for shaders and maybe there is something you could add for my needs as well?

In the past I know most of it was covered but I've since extended my project,

Thank you

26. echologin

echologin

Do you have Skype ? my name is echoLogin on Skype

27. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

I have tried coding shaders. I even tried a couple of VS shader tools. I am very pleased that you are creating this all-in-one shader so that I won't have to do that any more as a solo dev.

twobob and echologin like this.
  28. echologin

echologin

I added simple way to bend the world, i am still going to add support for curved world asset ( it does more )

Here is a simple video to show it and show how ShaderOne works

DrOcto, Mark_01, twobob and 3 others like this.
  29. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

A custom pipeline? I didn't know that was in yet. I should read the version notes I guess.

I see a terrain type option. Will this be able to support 3rd party assets? Like Microsplat CTS? Sorry if that is a silly question, shaders are not my favorite thing to deal with. All I know is I get a big performance boost out of Microsplat and CTS looks really good.

I do know that is one bad ass shader though.

30. echologin

echologin

Custom pipeline means it has a mode where ShaderOne calculates all the lighting itself
    so it can do multiple lights in one shader pass without needing the new SRP **
    ( i had a simple version of this in my Core Framework asset years ago )

**I do plan to support the LW SRP and or make my own SRP

not sure if it supports micro-splat . it can work with Unity Terrain or just a Mesh terrain with up to 4 layers total

You can use a splatcontrol texture or vertex colors for splatcontrol of terrain

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    DrOcto likes this.
  31. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Ah, okay. Got it. You might consider changing the name to lighting pipeline or something to avoid confusing we mere shader mortals.

Microsplat modifies terrain shaders in editor for a performance boost. It may work. You could test it out and see if it works. It's free. Then you can get that fancy "works with" icon to wear like a boy scout badge on your asset store images. :p

Also, other people will probably want to know.

lightwaterjohn and echologin like this.
  32. zKici

zKici

Can't wait!

DrOcto and echologin like this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

I can totally see you making your own SRP. :)

twobob likes this.
  34. echologin

echologin

I wanted something like SRP before Unity even started on it... its a like a dream come true

always hated forward rendering

Mark_01, EvilGremlin, DrOcto and 2 others like this.
  35. DrOcto

DrOcto

:) Really beautiful shader! Instabuy if that works like shown. Useful for 2d as for 3d. Great work! Now only when? :D

echologin likes this.
  36. VermilionGames

VermilionGames

Ok, the biggest question for me is, what shading models are you using for PBR (both diffuse and specular)?

echologin likes this.
  37. twobob

twobob

38. echologin

echologin

39. DrOcto

DrOcto

:D Pleaseeee submit it to the asset store. This is really nice work of yours. Do you have any price on the table? Will there be some demo scenes for 2D and 3D also?

echologin likes this.
  40. echologin

echologin

it is submitted to asset store.. will be 40 dollars while its in beta

There are 3 demo scenes but all of them are 3D.. should not be an issue since its used the same way in 3d as 2D

41. zKici

zKici

That's a steal deal for 40$ wow!

42. echologin

echologin

BTW it now supports Curved World asset and also has a simple built in Bending World option

DrOcto, zKici and hopeful like this.
  43. recon0303

recon0303

Nice, I will check this one out for sure. are there DLL's in this? Just wondering. Thanks

echologin likes this.
  44. recon0303

recon0303

I suggest to make a Discord channel many are doing it now a days, and is very helpful to the community also helping one another when you are busy:) just a thought. Many have moved away from Skype.

lightwaterjohn and jeromeWork like this.
  45. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Sorry complete custom shader noob... What's the process for implementing this in a project?

Say I have existing assets in the project that use a different shader, is there a convert shader to ShaderOne button? i.e. auto filling out any necessary slots and values in the ShaderOne material and disabling any unused features?

Also can you continue to use other shaders if using the vision lighting solution?

Thanks

46. twobob

twobob

Thanks the Work distance, coupled with the mask (and optionally a 3d world space noise to make it be pretty fades) obviously give the potential for peer through cameras on the shader level, (removing the overhead on ray based occlusion layer wangles and physics based collision test for the camerawork). Which is rightly coveted and I would certainly desire. But coupled with nice gradients and time values also makes for incredible faded effects and invisibility transitions - QED the rest of that repo. It's bread and butter QOL stuff but sets apart amazing offerings as you know and /seems/ minimally intrusive to pipeline at first glance.

echologin likes this.
  47. echologin

echologin

I have discord just made a ShaderOne channel

https://discord.gg/BBDyd9Z

48. echologin

echologin

It would be just pick options you want press generate then switch to shaderOne shader

it tries to pick up settings and duplicate them from old shader ( works with most unity shaders atm )

** it does not take features from other shaders just settings

if something doesn't work i can keep making it smarter to get more and more setting from various shaders

>>Also can you continue to use other shaders if using the vision lighting solution?

Yes you can use other shaders, you can just use forward rendering . or turn on unity lighting in my custom lighting..

but if there is something shaderone cant do . just post about it and if its feasible i can add it

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Mark_01, DrOcto, EvilGremlin and 2 others like this.
  49. echologin

echologin

sorry i missed your question

PBR has smoothness, roughness and specular ... and u can turn off PBR and just have normal diffuse lighting
    ( and substance painter files work in any mode even unlit )

VermilionGames likes this.
  50. echologin

echologin

Yeah i have a DLL for the shaderManger and a few other little things

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    recon0303 likes this.