Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] SECTR COMPLETE: Spaces, and the Connections Between Them

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MakeCodeNow, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BryanPW

BryanPW

We will support the latest Unity Versions, and Unity Versions to come, but as the product is robust and feature complete already we will not be adding new features unless the community requests them.

2. PWPeter

PWPeter

An update for SECTR has been published:

Version 2019.0.3

- Reviewed for Unity 2019.3 support, removed obsolete warnings.
    - Fixed assets throwing serialization errors in 2019.3
    - Fixed "SRP fix" checkbox for Sectr Vis in 2019.3
    - Fixed various smaller issues with the Sectr Audio Window
    - Fixed potential issues with cross / circular references in the Audio template system
    - Added a "Remove template" button to revert template association
    - Added a new option to recycle scenes when exporting in Streaming Window: Recycling scenes is a bit slower when exporting, but will in return not create new scene entries in the build settings which can lead to problems in some projects. Recommended to leave off until needed.
    - Added a new option to save scenes automatically when exporting single chunks in Streaming Window
    - Added an "update mode" for Sectr Member / Sector scripts: You can now choose how often to do child / bounds calculations for Sector / Member scripts. This can be used to combat editor lag in large scenes with a lot of sectors and objects.
    - Fixed Export button not selecting sector sometimes in Streaming Window
    - Fixed an issue where an AudioSystem component could be deleted from prefabs when the prefab was viewed in prefab edit mode
    - Reviewed the Check for older Sectr installations, this check will now only performed once after installation, if no old install was found the check will be disabled
    - Added a get accessor for AudioSystem Instances so it is easier for user code to evaluate the running audio instances
    - Fixed an issue where the scene hierarchy context menu would create multiple warning messages when creating a new sector
    - Fixed a bug with Sectr VIS where a wide FOV / Aspect Ratio could lead to sectors not being rendered anymore

3. f1chris

f1chris

Great news !! can you explain a bit more the Scene Recycle feature ? how it works exactly and when we should use it ?

thx

4. PWPeter

PWPeter

Normally when exporting a sector, SECTR will create a new scene for the export in the process (delete the old scene, and create a new one). With the recycle feature, it will instead open the existing scene from the last export, remove all gameobjects in it, and then export the sector contents into that existing scene. This is a bit slower than just deleting the entire scene and making a new one, but has the advantage that it will not constantly create new scene files.
    I would only recommend to use it if you have issues with new scene files being created in the background, e.g. when using a source control system.

f1chris likes this.
  5. Feartheway

Feartheway

i am having a problem with sectr vis + dungen + multistory dungeons.... it is only showing one tile at a time... how do i show the next tile along... atm it just shows a doorway to the outside but if you step through you get into the next p art of the dungeon. How do i increase the visual range before the culling takes place?
    upload_2020-2-8_8-10-43.png

upload_2020-2-8_8-11-21.png

6. Feartheway

Feartheway

sectr vis link seems to be broken

7. Feartheway

Feartheway

so i enabled simple culling and set the range to 100 seems to be working now :) not entirely sure why.
    upload_2020-2-8_8-31-28.png

8. BryanPW

BryanPW

Responded to this in discord. I will post here as well for anyone else wanting to know! Can you please check if you have set up the portals in your project. If not you will need to set up portals within your sectr's. When you switch to simple culling it takes the visual code of the camera and determines what it needs to see. It will work its just not the best option, you can also reduce performance while doing this. You are more than welcome to use it, but it may be wise to set the portals and deselect the simple culling. The point of occlusion culling is having the portal's setup between the rooms and only pull what is really needed. This will save performance!

9. JuliusIbidus

JuliusIbidus

Hello, I am running into errors while trying to follow the SECTR Stream Quickstart video. I am using Unity 2019.3.3f1 and have the NeighborStream scene in my Build settings. While following the Quickstart video, the first error I happens when I try to Export All Sectors, as shown in this pic:

SECTR STREAM error_1.jpg

In the Quickstart video it show the sectors that are to be exported are highlighted (white), yet these are greyed out. When I hit 'Export All Sectors' it seems to export only one sector (a hallway) and the export progress bar hangs until I close the SECTR Stream window, as shown:

SECTR STREAM error_2.jpg

In addition, the Player prefab disappears after the export process is finished (finished by manually closing the SECTR Stream window).

Is there a setting I am missing, or some incompatibility with Unity 2019.3, that is causing these errors with the NeighborStream tutorial scene?

10. BryanPW

BryanPW

Hello, are you using SECTR 2019? I just ran the demo scene and everything is working correctly. Can you please send a screenshot of the controller as well so I may take a look and see the components attached to it.

11. cyuxi

cyuxi

Hi,
    I have a problem about making the build too long for chunked terrain scenes.
    I just used Sectr to split a 2048 terrain into 64 chunks, which were all exported and ready for streaming, but things are not going so well when we started to make an Android build. The compiling of shader variants seemed repeated though all chunk scenes, which caused the build period extremely long.
    Is there anyway to improve such situation?
    Thanks .

12. BryanPW

BryanPW

64 chunks seems a bit too much ca you please lower this and then see if the results are the same?

13. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I have a terrain that is already broken up into an 8x8 terrain.
    But when I run Sectr, it does not add the portals.

Am I missing something to get the ports automatically added?
    Adding all of those portals for each sector will take forever, so I'm hoping there is an easier way.
    I heard there was a hack to do this, but I haven't been able to find it here or on Discord.

14. Blue-Wolf

Blue-Wolf

Considering picking up SECTR based on the Firewatch talk. I need it for an open world project.

The manual says SECTR Stream doesn’t support Unity’s Umbra occlusion culling. Meanwhile, SECTR Vis says it is not a good fit for open world games. Any other options for occlusion culling for an open world with SECTR Stream?

Lastly, does SECTR Stream support PS4/Xbox/Switch by any chance?

Thanks in advance!

15. BryanPW

BryanPW

Yes, the portals should be made automatically when you select the option to! Please see the attachment!

Attached Files:

16. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks Bryan!
    I appreciate your help.

So to follow up to make sure I’ve got it:
    If I have several terrains added and select ‘split’ then it will split each terrain into additional sectors, correct? This could be ok because of the sizes.

Now. If it splits each of the 8x8 terrains, if I understand correctly, then it will add portals to the sectors inside each terrain AND add portals between the 8x8 terrains. Is this correct?

17. BryanPW

BryanPW

If you click on create mesh for portals it should automatically do this for you! You would want to select your terrains and then split them correct. When you hit sectorize it will then sectorize all of them and add the portals within the sectors.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  18. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Thanks for your help Bryan.
    I'll give it a try.

BryanPW likes this.
  19. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

I have SC, I have Gaia but have used another tool for creating mesh terrain. Game target is bottom end mobile, <=1Gb RAM and GLES2. Will be enhanced for PC release.

Please advise if this would work:

1. Mesh terrain & basic level prefabs, all converted to 1 big prefab, with nested level prefabs for things like buildings, lamp posts, static objects etc.
    2. I will have a number of levels, e.g. up to 20. Rather than load scenes for each level my intention is to use said complex prefabs above and drag them all to one big scene. Each prefab level will have it's own skybox. All very crude but I'm not programmer. These levels will be say 50m x 50m and up to 500,000 Poly each. All these levels will have gaps between them, not joined.
    3. Run Sectr Core, Stream against that big scene with all levels containing my core prefab mesh terrain/nested prefabs in the big single scene.
    4. Further down the design/creation road, use my player controller at end of completing a level to be moved to the next level start location, inheriting all the benefits of keeping memory usage low by using 3. Another benefit is not having to work out how to or manage retaining Scores and Inventory etc. if you close finished level scene and open a new scene. I will have to make sure the level is streamed in before player appears.

Assuming above concept would work and mesh terrain can be split by Sectr Core & Streamed:
    1. Sectr audio should be done before running Sectr Core & Stream?
    2. Can I build out remainder of my game after 3., e.g. adding NPC's & pickups? or am I best completing every single element before 3.? Just trying to consider my PC RAM requirements on having 20 levels co-existing in editor whilst designing in same scene without 3. being done prior.

Thanks for help...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  20. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

If you haven't done this already, you will have better luck at Discord to get an answer. But they do check in here, just not full time like on Discord.
    https://discord.gg/rtKn8rw

MorpheusXI likes this.
  21. BryanPW

BryanPW

Sorry, I do try to check this every day. Though it is easier to reach me on Discord.

BackwoodsGaming and dsilverthorn like this.
  22. BryanPW

BryanPW

So, in my opinion, it would be best to add everything in before using sectr. That way when you sectorize the terrain you will not have the issue of placing everything in the right chunk and things falling through the terrain etc. The order that you run sectr does not matter. Unless you want to set up audio in certain sectrs then you would want to sectorize and use Sectr audio. Other than that you should be fine.

MorpheusXI likes this.
  23. ryanflees

ryanflees

TIM截图20200428173702.jpg
    Hi I'm tring to find the best practice to use Sectr VIS to cull the unnecessary objects in the game. I'm using the demo scene for testing, the lights are mixed which will cast realtime shadows with SECTR Member component on them.

And see when camera at this angle ,the upper right room shouldn't be seen but it's still rendered as it's affected by the lights at A and B. I changed to different options on lights' SECTR Member components, options on the portals in between and none does help.
    So what can I do in this case if I want to cull the room which shouldn't be seen but affected by the realtime lights.

24. minad2017

minad2017

Hello.
    Gaia generated terrain splits do not work.
    The terrain generated by the genuine Unity function could be split without problems.
    Am I making a mistake in Gaia settings?

Attached Files:

25. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

Hi,
    Just wanted to see if SECTR supports unity 2020.
    Thanks!!

26. DeepShader

DeepShader

Works for me in 2020.1.0b7 (Beta)

27. DeepShader

DeepShader

Is it possible to see the complete terrain in editor without export/import the complete terrain every time I want to enter play mode?

And is it possible to edit the terrain after splitting?

28. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

29. DeepShader

DeepShader

No answer?

30. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

You might try them on Discord.
    I'm still new to Sectr or I would answer.
    https://discord.gg/rtKn8rw

31. BryanPW

BryanPW

We do not support Unity Version still in Beta.

backwheelbates likes this.
  32. BryanPW

BryanPW

^^

33. DeepShader

DeepShader

I don't think that is funny in anyway, that if a paying customer asks for help and the only answer after five days from the PW-Support is "^^".

dsilverthorn likes this.
  34. BryanPW

BryanPW

Sorry that was to mention that we do not support Beta Unity versions.
    As far as your question you can import all of the terrains from the Sectr Stream window and continue to work on them, also leave them imported while you are doing this to go into play mode. When you are finished just export them back out! Also, make sure to add a SECTR region loader to your camera/ player if you do not have one already! Sorry about that!

dsilverthorn likes this.
  35. jnbbender

jnbbender

I was just considering using SECTR Stream for my project. I know it adds more functionality than plain old Unity addressables but my interest is in hosting some of my scenes. Is this something SECTR Stream can do for me? (Host sectors)

36. kanu0009

kanu0009

Does it work in mobile VR like oculus quest?

BryanPW likes this.
  37. jnbbender

jnbbender

I am also using SECTR Audio to get blending and occlusion but I am having an issue that I was wondering if anyone else had seen. I am using Unity 2019.3.7 and I am following the simple Quick Start tutorial. I create audio cues and don't hear anything when I audition the or simply play them. I create a PointSource and still can't Play anything. There is just one AudioSource as usual. The only time I can hear anything is when I assign audio to the Background Loop field in the SECTR Audio System.

The same things happens in a completely new scene (MainCamera & Directional Light)
    Any ideas?

BTW - Same thing in 2019.2

I am always getting the error:
    SerializedObjectNotCreatableException: Object at index 0 is null
    UnityEditor.Editor.CreateSerializedObject () (at <78f1ad0f25c84e3ca853e639f50d95f5>:0)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at <78f1ad0f25c84e3ca853e639f50d95f5>:0)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at <78f1ad0f25c84e3ca853e639f50d95f5>:0)
    SECTR_Editor._ExtractProperties () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/SECTR/Scripts/Editor/Core/SECTR_Editor.cs:292)
    SECTR_Editor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/SECTR/Scripts/Editor/Core/SECTR_Editor.cs:51)
    SECTR_AudioCueEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/SECTR/Scripts/Editor/Audio/SECTR_AudioCueEditor.cs:36)

It may have something to do with it.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  38. BryanPW

BryanPW

I have had customers use sectr with mobile VR yes and have worked with the oculus quest.
    I recommend looking in our discord: https://discord.gg/rtKn8rw and you can ask questions and talk with other developers that are working on the same platforms!

39. BryanPW

BryanPW

Sectr Stream allows you to import and export the chunks that were made in sectr terrain. Hosting sectors would be an issue as in a multiplayer game each client would have their own sector/ scene data as a fixed part of the game.

40. bbaugh007

bbaugh007

Hello,

I was recently messing around in SECTR with a few copies of a semi-heavy scene broken up into sectors to get a feel for how well SECTR will do in a project similar to dark souls with a large, consistent world and was a bit confused on how it decides what to stream in and out of memory. I followed the documentation that comes with the asset and got a scene with 4 connected sectors that each have detailed textures and rain particle effects. Everything works and and sectors stream in and out of the editor, but I am confused as to why it chooses to despawn only one middle sector while I am at one end of the map, while it despawns 2 end sectors while I am at the other end of the map. It will even keep 4 sectors spawn at once at times which seems to defeat the purpose of saving memory a bit. Am I doing something wrong or is the tool supposed to behave this way? I have attached a video below to better illustrate what I mean.

41. BryanPW

BryanPW

Typically, when you walk through a sectr the sectors behind you should be unloaded. For the single sectr to be unloaded is correct, but it seems like the others may not be. We do have a demo like what you are trying to do that you can see to visually help understand the Sectors and Portals. I would start there if you still are having trouble please make a support ticket and we can dive deeper to see what the issue is! The link to the support is: https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/home

42. swredcam

swredcam

Sorry I thought I could find this in the docs but have not been able to -- when does "Start" run for GO that are in a sector? At the start of the game or when the sector loads? If the latter, does it run every time the sector loads? I'm seeing some very different behavior between editor runs and builds and I am thinking it may be due to Start issues.

43. BryanPW

BryanPW

Have you added a region loader to the character/ camera?

44. swredcam

swredcam

I do have a region loader but it is on my FPS Character -- the parent of the camera.

45. swredcam

swredcam

Yikes between the forum and discord the lag time in support is very disappointing. Is this a dead asset?

46. hopeful

hopeful

Sometimes the thread owner isn't notified by the forum of new posts. You can try emailing their support.

47. BryanPW

BryanPW

No this asset is not dead. I believe when the sectr loads in the terrain chuck the game object in the terrain get activated. Depending on the scripts it may depend on when initial play. I would imagine that if you have something started you may have a trigger component attached in some way.

48. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

@BryanPW I've been trying to get PW support getting started with SECTR on Discord since Friday. I said it wasn't urgent, but I would like to get some idea when someone can help.
    Is it better to post those sorts of questions over here instead?

49. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

Have to post an update here. I understand PW have been super busy and perhaps their support lines are a bit stretched.

However, yesterday @BryanPW replied via Discord and was extremely helpful indeed, offering to look at the best solution for my project in detail. He even offered to setup an in person call to discuss a completely different implementation approach, which is totally above and beyond.

Thanks, Bryan.

dsilverthorn likes this.
  50. BryanPW

BryanPW

Hey, no problem! Happy to help!

dsilverthorn and Colin_MacLeod like this.
unityunity