Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

[RELEASED] ScriptableObject creation tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by n12howlingshame, Oct 20, 2022.

1. n12howlingshame

n12howlingshame

I want to share a tool for ScriptableObject creation that I wrote for myself. Finally got around to arranging it and putting it in the AssetStore.

This is a menu with text search by name that can be called through a hotkey, with the option to automate the location of created objects. The basic idea is to keep the Create menu clean and create ScriptableObjects by name, similar to how AddComponent does it.

--------------------------

Links: Asset Store | GitHub

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usage examples

------------------------------------------------------------------------​

And preference window with available options

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    mgear and CodeSmile like this.
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Thanks for that! :)

I've been meaning to write a generally usable editor tool like that for SO for years. It's been such a burden to not being able to simply create one just like that without having to look up the code for how to add it to a menu, and save it as an asset. And then that menu item often remains in the Create Assets menu even though you only ever needed to create one instance once and never again.

3. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

You may want to add a border to this window, otherwise it can be easily missed when it opens and it looks broken:
    upload_2022-10-20_12-56-20.png

The Utility window style with just a title and the X at the top-right corner would seem appropriate.

I added another assembly just so I get a few more results, but the filter input field at the top is still not showing up. And it seems when the items don't fit entirely in the scrollview, the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom is taking up some additional vertical space, thus causing the vertical scrollbar to appear as well:
    upload_2022-10-20_12-59-15.png

I do see the filter input field when I enable "All Assemblies", and I also see it with around 30 items in the list. Even though it doesn't have much use with only a few items I'd always show it because it feels odd to have it appear only if the number of items exceed an arbitrary (unknown) threshold.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  4. n12howlingshame

n12howlingshame

Oh, thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely deal with it when I have time.

5. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

No worries. I understand it's FREE so I'm not expecting t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶a̶n̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶i̶n̶q̶u̶i̶s̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ much. :)