Search Unity

Controller [Released] Sci-Fi Ship Controller - A versatile physics-based controller with playable demos, AI...

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by sstrong, Dec 7, 2018.

1. sstrong

sstrong

Sci-Fi Ship Controller v1.2.3 is now live on the Asset Store

This latest update includes:
    • [NEW] Ship Control Module - Turret Beam weapons (Technical Preview)
    • [NEW] Surface Turret Module - Beam weapon [Technical Preview]
    • [NEW] Auto Targeting Module - Can control Turret Beam weapons [Technical Preview]
    • [NEW] Ship Camera Module - Dynamic Target Offset damping [Technical Preview]
    • [NEW] Paths - Insert Before in SSCManager Editor option (callable from API)
    • [FIXED] PlayerInputMdule API - DisableAIMode() method name spelling
    • [IMPROVED] Ship Camera Module - Camera Shake now out of Technical Preview
    • [IMPROVED] Ship Docking - undocking AI Ships become idle at end of exit path

2. docsavage

docsavage

Great trailer for a top quality product!!!!!

sstrong likes this.
  3. sstrong

sstrong

Off-world Martian Landscapes

If you also own Landscape Builder, you can use actual data from Mars to create some interesting scenes for your game made with Sci-Fi Ship Controller.

Here is the LB post.

Just imagine flying your space ship down the massive Valles Marineris canyon on Mars...

4. sstrong

sstrong

Sci-Fi Ship Controller with Scripting tools

When using SSC with a scripting tool, you just need a reference to your ShipControlModule (or any other module from SSC) and then you can all API methods, read properties, set variables etc.

For a full list of API methods available see "Runtime and API" section in the manual.

5. sstrong

sstrong

How to get started with Ship AI in Sci-Fi Ship Controller

Get Started

There is a detailed chapter in the manual called "Ship AI System".

For AI methods and properties, take a look at the "Runtime and API" reference section in the manual which is called "Ship AI Input Module API Methods or Properties".

For detailed examples, we have Sample AI scripts
    • SampleAttack
    • SampleChase
    • SampleEvade
    • SamplePatrol
    • SampleRace
    Then there is a complete mini-game called TechDemo2 (in Demos\TechDemo folder) which shows how to put all that together.
    TechDemo2 is a great resource when building games with SSC. It include AI, undocking and respawning, combat, weapon (auto) targeting, radar, changing camera view, point of interest camera on second display, and much more.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    docsavage likes this.
  6. sstrong

sstrong

Here's what's in the latest Sci-Fi Ship Controller beta (version 1.2.4 Beta 1n).

[NEW] ShipDocking - can transition to docking while undocking and vis versa
    [NEW] ProjectileModule - can override behaviour in own inherited class
    [NEW] SampleProjectileModule script
    [NEW] SampleCreatePath script
    [NEW] Moving Platforms for vehicle, equipment, or character elevators
    [NEW] Demo elevator sounds
    [NEW] SSCDoorAnimator supports opening and closing audio clips
    [IMPROVED] Paths - auto-adjust control points on first location when second added

You can either wait for the next release, or existing customers can join the Beta Program.

upload_2021-3-15_19-43-46.png

A character* riding up one of the elevators inside the space port (Tech Demo 3**).

* From Sticky3D Controller
    ** Coming as a demo in SSC v1.3.0

docsavage likes this.
  7. sstrong

sstrong

Easy in-game scenario testing with no-coding required.

If you want to quickly test a scenario within gameplay with Sci-Fi Ship Controller, but don't want to write any code here is a useful technique we use in-house.

On your main player ship, go to the Player Input Module and add one or more Custom Player Inputs. Assign them to a button, and call one or more of our APIs.

upload_2021-3-20_21-6-41.png

Once you're done testing, simply delete the Custom Player Input.

In the above example I was testing a new turret option suggested by a customer.

8. sstrong

sstrong

Coming in Sci-Fi Ship Controller version 1.2.4

We have started to ramp up our in-editor debugging capabilities. They are already quite extensive but as we see opportunities, we'll be improving them. For example, there is a new debugger for Ship Control Module.This includes visibility into common values for Thrusters, Damage Region health and shielding, plus weapons (specifically Turrets).

upload_2021-3-22_19-13-15.png

We've also extended the debugger in the Auto Targeting Module so that you can see the first 10 items from the radar query for that ship or surface turret.

upload_2021-3-22_19-14-29.png

If you haven't used them before, many Components in SSC have "Debug Mode" in their Inspectors. These can be enabled at runtime to help you design and test your game (just make sure you disable "Maximize on Play" in the Unity Game view).

9. sstrong

sstrong

Using DOTS (Entry Component System, Jobs, Burst) with Projectiles in Unity 2020.3

We're in the process of updating our Projectile DOTS system for Unity 2020.3 LTS. This will be available in Sci-Fi Ship Controller version 1.2.4, or for anyone on the Beta Program, 1.2.4 Beta 2a or newer.

For Unity 2019.4 LTS use Entities 0.11.0
    For Unity 2020.3 LTS use Entities 0.17.0

We've also updated our manual giving an example of converting the City Demo scene over to using Projectiles driven by DOTS.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    docsavage likes this.
  10. Dave_2000

Dave_2000

Ship Camera Module Updates Coming in SSC Version 1.2.4

New for version 1.2.4, we’re adding some new features catered towards top-down games. In the next release, the ship camera module will be able to follow the target ship in a manner similar to many top-down space games.

In SSC v1.2.4., the ship camera module now supports new options for Target Offset Coords that can be used to position the camera relative to a ship while only taking into account the rotation/velocity of the ship on the world Y-axis, or ignoring the rotation of the ship entirely. Shown below is a screenshot taken when using the new TopDownFollowVelocity Camera Rotation Mode:

ShipCameraModuleTopDownSS.png

The new options are compatible with the majority of other settings previously available for the Ship Camera Module (such as move and turn speeds). Combined with the 2.5D input control introduced for ships in a previous update, they can be used to create exciting new top-down game experiences.

docsavage and sstrong like this.
  11. sstrong

sstrong

Sci-Fi Ship Controller 1.2.4 will soon be available for download. We've added a bunch of new stuff in this release.

[NEW] ShipCameraModule - Top-down setup options for 2.5D games
    [NEW] ShipDocking - can transition to docking while undocking and vis versa
    [NEW] ShipDocking - target take-off and landing durations
    [NEW] ProjectileModule - can override behaviour in own inherited class
    [NEW] SampleProjectileModule script
    [NEW] SampleCreatePath script
    [NEW] Moving Platforms for vehicle, equipment, or character elevators
    [NEW] Demo elevator sounds
    [NEW] SSCDoorAnimator supports opening and closing audio clips
    [NEW] ShipDisplayModule - ToggleHUD API method
    [NEW] ShipControlModule - editor runtime debugger for thrusters, health, and weapons
    [NEW] ShipInputModule - editor option to enable only Custom Player Inputs on initialise
    [NEW] Turret weapons - option to auto-park after interval
    [FIXED] Turret with Check Line of Sight - MissingReferenceException
    [IMPROVED] Paths - auto-adjust control points on first location when second added
    [IMPROVED] AutoTargetingModule - option to show first 10 radar query results
    [IMPROVED] DOTS compatibility for projectiles with Unity 2020.3 LTS

docsavage likes this.
  12. sstrong

sstrong

Sci-Fi Ship Controller - Wish list

As we continue to build out our space port demo (aka TechDemo3) we are happy to consider things on your wish list.

If you're developing a game with SSC and would really like XYZ feature, please let us know on this forum or our Discord channel. When considering new feature we always take into account:
    • Will it appeal to a wide range of users?
    • How will it affect performance?
    • How will it work with existing features?
    • Will this be used in games that get published?
    • Overall "cool" factor

13. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

I think it's been mentioned before, any thoughts in Enter/Exit ship capability? Would be useful for Hover Cars and probably any ship and allow full game-world immersion. Of course would be up to Game Creators / Devs to work out how to do that with specific Character Controllers, unless solution was universal.

14. sstrong

sstrong

There are many different techniques you can use, depending on your scenario. So, for example, in Tech Demo 3 (which is currently under development) you can integrate the scene with Sticky3D Controller (for example) to enter/exit a space shuttle which docks with a space station.

We are currently working on part of the scene where you can enter/exit a single-seater combat spacecraft (Hawk from SSC Tech Demo2).

It really depends if you want to do a complete animation set (especially for 1-2 seater cockpits) or if you want to just cut between cameras. In Tech Demo3 the S3D character also has to go up/down a ladder for the Hawk fighter.

What is your scenario? Most of the work can be done with one or more Custom Player Inputs configured in the Player Input Module.

MorpheusXI likes this.
  15. sstrong

sstrong

Here's an example of our pilot (a Sticky3D character), about to enter the cockpit of the SSC Hawk ship on the upper deck of the space port (from Tech Demo 3).
    upload_2021-4-30_8-1-14.png

Once in the cockpit, we could use either the Sticky Input Module (from S3D) or the Player Input Module (SSC) to cut over to the in-cockpit view of the Ship Camera Module (SSC) from the S3D 3rd person camera - all without writing any code.

In this scenario - it really depends on how capable your character controller is and can it be configured to call API methods from other objects in the scene (both SSC and S3D have this capability).

If your character controller cannot do this, there are some other ways you can get SSC to do some of this work for you. I think I might have mentioned that technique in an earlier entry/exit forum post.

16. sstrong

sstrong

Here is our Sticky3D character onboard the (unfinished) small shuttle craft (from Tech Demo 3) about to approach the space port.

We use SSC Player Input Module, with a Custom Player Input, to pass control from the SSC ship to the S3D character controller - without writing any code.

In this scenario we'll be doing an AI-assisted docking manoeuvre. During this time the player is free to walk around the shuttle and get ready to walk onto the space port through the right-rear door.

upload_2021-4-30_8-34-56.png

In our case, the Sticky3D character will be opening the door on both the SSC shuttle and the SSC space port - but we could have easily used the SSC Player Input Module for that too. In this scenario, it makes more sense for the character to be controlling the doors.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    MorpheusXI likes this.
  17. sstrong

sstrong

Ship Entry / Exit scenarios with SSC Door Proximity

I came across an interesting scenario when working on Tech Demo3 for Sci-Fi Ship Controller.

I wanted my character to walk across a landing deck on a space port, climb a ladder, and enter the cockpit of a small ship. So I add the SSC Door Animator component to my modified SSCHawk model. Created a simple animator for the canopy to open and close. Then I added the SSC Door Proximity component to my ladder which a sphere trigger collider. That way, when my pilot approached the ship the canopy on the Hawk space craft would automatically raise at the speed I specified.

So far, so good. Then if they walked away the canopy would automatically close. But when my character climbed the ladder and got to the top, the canopy would close. Then if I moved around a little it would open again....

upload_2021-5-2_16-59-16.png

It turned out to a problem with how Unity creates compound colliders. My ladder had a box collider. Then I added a sphere trigger collider for my proximity component. When my character stood on top of the ladder and then went to step into the cockpit Unity would fire a OnTriggerExit event. Then as the pilot took a step back onto the ladder, a OnTriggerEnter event would be fired.

The solution? Move the sphere trigger collider and SSC Door Proximity component onto a child object of the ladder.

MorpheusXI likes this.
  18. sstrong

sstrong

Changing Stick To Ground options at runtime

We are often asked how to change Stick To Ground options. Actually, it is pretty simple. We've written a quick sample script that let's the user adjust the target distance above the ground using their gamepad, keyboard or any other input type we support.

All of our APIs are documented and individual properties or variables that can be changed at runtime are documented in our code.

The script, available in the v1.2.5 Beta 2a or newer, is called "SampleStickToGroundChange" and is included in the Demos\Scripts folder.

19. sstrong

sstrong

If you are looking for a kinematic character controller to use with Sci-Fi Ship Controller, check out our new Sticky3D Controller.

SSC customers should see a discount when they purchase the new controller.

20. sstrong

sstrong

Sci-Fi Ship Controller version 1.2.5 is now live in the Asset Store. It includes the following updates:

[NEW] SampleStickToGroundChange script
    [NEW] SSC Moving Platforms support kinematic rigidbodies
    [FIXED] Ship Camera Module - jitter in Camera Rotation Mode "Follow Velocity"
    [FIXED] Thruster FX and audio do not stop when Max Thrust is set to 0 at runtime
    [IMPROVED] SSC Door Proximity - uses first trigger collider
    [IMPROVED] ShipControlModule - braking algorithm

julianr likes this.
  21. sstrong

sstrong

Tech Demo 3 - news update 3

Yes, we're still planning to release Tech Demo 3 with Sci-Fi Ship Controller 1.3.0. We thought we should start revealing what it will look like. Some of you may be aware but we also have a character controller (Sticky3D Controller), which will seamlessly integrate with Tech Demo 3 (and Sci-Fi Ship Controller in general).

Combining space craft warfare with elements of RPG
    There are many big budget games that combine space battles with role playing, I'm sure you could think of a few. So we thought we'd tackle some of the challenges that smaller studios (or indie developers) face. SSC TechDemo3, combined with Sticky3D, sets out to do just that.

SSC_TechDemo3_Services2.png

Here we are already in the space port, getting ready to take the lift to the top deck where we will hopefully be able to make it to our Hawk fighter (more on this later).

You can see below, that we've successfully docked our shuttle and made our way to the services area.

SSC_TechDemo3_Services1.png

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    MorpheusXI and docsavage like this.
  22. shikhrr

shikhrr

Hi

I bought the ship controller sometime back. Is there a way to make sure that any AI ship maintains a minimum distance from the ground? I am not talking about the Stick to Ground surface, something else which makes sure that ship maintains a minimum distance from the ground below. If it goes below that distance, it tries to correct itself and go up higher than the minimum distance. Stick to Ground surface results in ship behaving like a hovership, which is undesirable.

MorpheusXI and julianr like this.
  23. sstrong

sstrong

Not at the moment, but maybe we could add it.

MorpheusXI likes this.
  24. shikhrr

shikhrr

Thanks for the quick response. I will try to add the functionality to my project but it would be great if it comes out of the box.

MorpheusXI likes this.
  25. sstrong

sstrong

If we have time, we'll try to put something together this week. We currently working on a bunch of new features as part of Tech Demo 3.

shikhrr likes this.
  26. sstrong

sstrong

Feature Announcement

Coming in Sci-Fi Ship Controller v1.2.6 is a new module called "Destructible Object Module". This works in conjunction with the existing Destruct Module and the the Damage Receiver.

Like your space craft (ships), you'll now be able to quickly setup rechargeable shielding, trigger Destruct Modules, and set off Effects Modules when a regular gameobject and mesh are hit by projectile or beam weapons.

upload_2021-6-28_21-5-47.png

Although you can already do most of this using our APIs in code, we thought a component would be useful for any of you who wanted to set stuff up in the editor.

Inspeinre, MorpheusXI and docsavage like this.
  27. shikhrr

shikhrr

I get this exception while playing in the editor

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2. SciFiShipController.Ship.CalculateForceAndMoment (UnityEngine.Vector3& localResultantForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& localResultantMoment) (at Assets/SCSM/SciFiShipController/Scripts/Physics/Classes/Ship.cs:2294)
    3. SciFiShipController.ShipControlModule.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/SCSM/SciFiShipController/Scripts/Physics/Behaviours/ShipControlModule.cs:619)
    There is a terrain and then there are few ships with stick to ground surface enabled. The configuration varies for these ships. All ships have AI Input module and are fighting with each other with guided missiles. Any idea what could cause this?

28. sstrong

sstrong

I can take a look at this later today for you. BTW, we're currently working on the Avoid Ground Surface code. Which version of SSC do you have? (The version number is in the Ship Control Module editor).

The latest version from the Asset Store is 1.2.5. If you're not on this version, please upgrade and try again.

29. shikhrr

shikhrr

Thanks for the update! I was using version 1.2.4. I tested with 1.2.5 and could reproduce the exception.

30. sstrong

sstrong

ok, we'll try to repro this in-house. Did you use Landscape Builder by any chance to create the terrains? If so, you could send us a LB Template (meta-data file) that might help us isolate the problem. It is most likely terrain mesh related (but I could be mistaken).

31. sstrong

sstrong

Are you able to give us an updated error message in 1.2.5 so we can isolate the exact line number that raises the error?

32. sstrong

sstrong

upload_2021-6-30_14-41-24.png

This is a new feature coming in Sci-Fi Ship Controller version 1.2.6. It works a little like "Stick To Ground Surface". The difference is the ship can climb away from the surface and fly around. "Stick To Ground Surface" only behaves like this when the ground suddenly disappear from under it - as can be seen in the Anti-gravity Racer Demo scene.

It works for both Player and AI ships.

For Beta Program members, it is available immediately to test out (1.2.6 Beta 2b or newer).

MorpheusXI likes this.
  33. sstrong

sstrong

See above post.

34. shikhrr

shikhrr

Thanks for the quick implementation! Updated error message -

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2. SciFiShipController.Ship.CalculateForceAndMoment (UnityEngine.Vector3& localResultantForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& localResultantMoment) (at Assets/SCSM/SciFiShipController/Scripts/Physics/Classes/Ship.cs:2301)
    3. SciFiShipController.ShipControlModule.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/SCSM/SciFiShipController/Scripts/Physics/Behaviours/ShipControlModule.cs:619)

35. shikhrr

shikhrr

I am not using Landscape Builder. I can send you a sample project on email if that helps.

36. sstrong

sstrong

I sent you a message so we can organise to repro with your project.

37. sstrong

sstrong

We have a patch out to fix this issue. We "think" it happens on terrains when Unity (in the background) reduces the complexity of mesh colliders in order to improve performance. It may occur when Stick To Ground Surface is enabled and Ground Normal Calc is set to Smoothed Normal.

The patch required is 1.2.6 Beta 2e or newer and is available immediately for Beta Program members.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  38. sstrong

sstrong

upload_2021-7-4_12-23-48.png

A new feature coming in Sci-Fi Ship Controller version 1.2.6 is display flickering in our HUD module.

We are calling the API in Tech Demo 3 when the (Sticky3D) character enters the cockpit of the Hawk fighter. However, you can see above, that it is pretty easy to tick a box or two to configure it in the editor.

MorpheusXI likes this.
  39. sstrong

sstrong

Tech Demo 3 - Ship Cockpit Entry (News update 4)

This quick clip shows how we switch from a Sticky3D Controller character to a Sci-Fi Ship Controller ship. Here are the steps we used:
    1. Turn off the Heads-Up Display (HUD)
    2. Set the SSC ship camera to the Hawk ship
    3. Set the SSC ship camera to the cockpit view
    4. Move the ladder away from the Hawk to avoid issues with the convex ship collider
    5. Switch the Hawk from static primitive colliders to a convex mesh collider
    6. Gracefully disable the Sticky3D character using the API
    7. Turn off the Sticky3D character
    8. Enable the Hawk camera (using the API)
    9. Start rendering the Hawk camera (using the API)
    10. Lower the Hawk's canopy
    11. Enable the Hawk ship (using the API)
    12. Flicker on the HUD (using the API)
    13. Enable the Hawk player input
    14. Give the Hawk some upward thrust to help the player take off
    15. Initialize the Auto Targeting Module on the Hawk
    16. Make the Hawk visible to enemy radar

shikhrr and MorpheusXI like this.
  40. sstrong

sstrong

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  41. shikhrr

shikhrr

Hey

Would it be possible to add a time limit for projectile module? I mean keep it guided for few seconds and then convert it to normal.

42. sstrong

sstrong

That's an interesting idea.

You can override the guidance system with sscManager.callbackProjectileMoveTo(..). Basically, create your own movement method and assign it to the callback delegate. Then SSC will call your guidance system when you launch a guided projectile. Everything else will work as normal.

The other option is to create a custom projectile and override certain methods. There is an example of this approach in Demos\Scripts\SampleProjectileModule.

shikhrr likes this.
  43. sstrong

sstrong

Adding On-Screen Controls

If you want to use on-screen buttons and joysticks with Sci-Fi Ship Controller, one option is to use the "new" Unity Input System (UIS).
    1. Start by configuring UIS with the instructions included in the manual (See the Player Input Module chapter)
    2. If you wish to use on screen controls for touch-enabled devices, we include some sample “On-Screen Controls” to get you started.
      upload_2021-7-26_10-17-34.png
    3. Before adding the On-Screen Controls, we’d suggest setting your Game view window to the approximate screen ratio that you’re going to (mostly) use.
      upload_2021-7-26_10-16-47.png
    4. When the first On-Screen Control is added to the scene, if an EventSystem is not already in the scene, one will be automatically added and highlighted. By default, the legacy “Standalone Input Module” script may be attached. If so, click “Replace with InputSystemUIInputModule”.
    5. Sensitivity and Gravity can then be adjusted for each input
      upload_2021-7-26_10-18-14.png
    You are free to create your own UI and touch input (see “Overriding Player Input Module in Code” in the manual for more details).

NOTE: There a many different form factors, dimensions, and touch characteristics of touch devices. You may need to make adjustments to cater for your target devices.

44. sstrong

sstrong

PlayerInputModule error, workaround, and patch

Assets\SCSM\SciFiShipController\Editor\PlayerInputModuleEditor.cs(3854,62): error CS0103: The name 'inputAxisModeContent' does not exist in the current context

If you see the bug above, there is a workaround and a patch.

Cause:
    The error occurs in Unity 2019.2+ when you have Rewired, Vive or Occulus VR installed and Legacy Unity Input disabled in Project Player Settings (Active Input Handling).

Workaround:
    Re-enabled legacy (old) Input Manager in player settings and restart the Unity editor.

Fix:
    Install SSC patch version 1.2.6 Beta 2w or newer from the Beta Program (or wait for the 1.2.6 release).

NOTE: The current patch contains a lot of other changes so make sure you backup you project before testing the fix. This is because it includes a lot of things in preparation for our Tech Demo 3 which is in development.

45. sstrong

sstrong

upload_2021-7-28_20-53-21.png

Sci-Fi Ship Controller Version 1.2.6 is now live in the asset store.

It includes:
    [NEW] Destructible Object Module - for use with non-ship objects
    [NEW] General purpose Proximity component
    [NEW] Limit Pitch/Roll - Avoid Ground Surface [Technical Preview]
    [NEW] Light Strobe utility
    [NEW] ShipDisplayModule - HUD flicker effect with API
    [NEW] Door (button) Control component
    [FIXED] IndexOutOfRangeException with Stick To Ground Surface and Smoothed Normal calc.
    [FIXED] Ship Camera Module - Target Offset Align button does not consider rotation
    [FIXED] PlayerInputModuleEditor - The name inputAxisModeContent does not exist
    [IMPROVED] All components have component-add menus
    [IMPROVED] DestructModule is out of Technical Preview
    [IMPROVED] Display Module - reticle is more accurate when Lock Reticle to Cursor is enabled
    [IMPROVED] Ships can become visible to radar in same frame as they are enabled via the API

shikhrr likes this.
  46. sstrong

sstrong

Regional damage discussion

A customer mentioned that they want to have projectiles that incurred damage that affect the area around them, including other spaceships nearby.

We'd like to get some feed back and suggestions on this concept so that we can support a solution that has wide spread appeal (given we have hundreds of customers).

A few things to keep in mind.
    1. It needs to be highly scaleable with low performance overhead
    2. We don't track all space ships as a group (each space ship needs to interact with the rest of the environment as an individual ship - this is by design - see point 1)
    3. It will need to be backward compatible with all other components in SSC (we don't like breaking people's projects)
    4. This is not to be confused with Localised Damage regions of a ship which we already support.
    5. Most well-thought out ideas make it into our product ;)
    So, please, give us your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions here or on our Discord channel under "ssc-feature-requests".

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  47. sstrong

sstrong

Tech Demo 3 - news update 5

Building interactive, immersive Sci-Fi games is challenging. But we're here to help. We continue to develop features of both Sticky3D Controller and Sci-Fi Ship Controller that will enable you to build engaging games.

In Tech Demo 3, you will play capable pilot Jane who is about to dock at the space port. Little does she know, but soon she'll find herself in the middle of a "surprise" attack.

upload_2021-7-30_17-25-58.png

We still have a bit more work to do on Hand IK and our interactive object system in Sticky3D, but hopefully soon we'll be able to show off some more video clips.

48. sstrong

sstrong

Sci-Fi Ship Controller and Rewired

TIP: When configuring SSC with Rewired, don't forget to assign the Player Number. The default is 0 (unassigned) which means your player ship won't be going anywhere any time soon :)

upload_2021-8-5_7-36-44.png

upload_2021-8-5_7-39-0.png

Note, the Player Number is the sequence in the list of players from Rewired, not the Player Id.

49. sstrong

sstrong

Writing Custom Input with Sensitivity

Sometimes you may not wish to use our Player Input Module (i.e you want to write your own input system and feed the data to our ships. We have sample code to get you started (Demos\Scripts\SampleSendShipInput.cs).

Up until now, if you wanted to handle input sensitivity and input gravity in your own code, you'd have to write that yourself. In SSC version 1.2.7 you will be able to call our PlayerInputModule code to do that for you.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Left and Right
    2. if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.RightArrow)) { shipInput.yaw += 1f; }
    3. if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftArrow)) { shipInput.yaw -= 1f; }
    5. // Take into consideration input sensitivity and input gravity settings
    6. shipInput.yaw = PlayerInputModule.CalculateAxisInput(lastShipInput.yaw, shipInput.yaw, yawAxisSensitivity, yawAxisGravity);
    7. // Store the calculated ship input from this frame for reference next frame
    8. lastShipInput.yaw = shipInput.yaw;

For Beta Program members this is available immediately in SSC 1.2.7 Beta 1c or newer.

shikhrr likes this.
  50. sstrong

sstrong

Final few days of the sale...