Search Unity

[RELEASED] Sci-Fi Modular Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Afassolas, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Afassolas

Afassolas

The Sci Fi Modular Pack consists of 170 unique models and 200 prefabs and on many of these there are two to three texture variations (walls, floor and roof tiles etc).

It is designed in a way that hundreds of different combinations of similar or different artistic styles for interior levels can be created.

Based on a main theme of an imaginary future police force. Decals have been kept to a minimum so that textures can be customized. Top-down, 2.5D and FPS scenes can be created.

Clean, used and dark environments can be created and the prefabs provided can only cover some model combinations as it would be unpractical to create all that is possible using this full pack. Working doors with sounds, particles, monitor animations included.

All models are created in a modular way, so that level design is very easy and straight forward.

Fully supports Unity 5 PBR and most textures are 2k or 4k depending on how large the model is. All textures are uploaded as 2k to keep the package size smaller but that can change to 4k when it has been installed.

Some of the models included are :

Floating bikes, Scout vehicles, four types of robots, animated air fans, walls, stairs, different doors, crane, computer terminals, tables, chairs, desks, medical equipment, crates, restaurant, medical center, control room, vehicle service room, sleeping quarters, cryo stasis room and much more.

Asset Store : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/64442

Gozdek and SecretStudio like this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Those robot probes are pretty cool. Are they animated?
    It looks like they have recently received a fresh coat of paint. There is very nice detailed scratches and dents on the model, but the paint is applied over these dents and scratches, making them look like they have been freshly painted.

Nice pack.

3. Afassolas

Afassolas

Yes they are animated with some basic movements as you can see in the videos. Well the shaders on sketchfab don't really do them justice. They are not like this in Unity.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Gozdek

Gozdek

Very, very nice :)

5. hopeful

hopeful

If you're still taking suggestions on modifications for the pack, a couple of smallish mods for the motorbike come to mind.

1: Maybe change the central controls to feature a fair-sized LCD screen, like a rear view camera or nav screen in a modern car.

2: Maybe add a model that has a seat and footrests added to the back for a rearward-facing gunner (for quasi-military use). Also maybe a model that has cargo packs, like police motorcycles often do.

6. ImperativeGames

ImperativeGames

Wanted to edit some texture files (GarageTileA_GarageTileA_AlbedoTransparency.png has too many scratches, and GarageTileA_Clean_AlbedoTransparency.png is too clean for my purposes), but couldn't - Photoshop shows transparent layer and Windows graphicals tools show blacknes.
    I'm not an expert... How can I open and edit them?

7. hopeful

hopeful

Try GIMP. I'm not an expert either, but I understand it has long been the case that Photoshop ignores alpha on PNGs, but GIMP will let you work with them and save them.

(Apologies if I have misunderstood your problem. I see "photoshop," "PNG," and "alpha," and that's what I start thinking. lol)

8. ImperativeGames

ImperativeGames

Actually, it could work. Never used GIMP, it may use alpha differently. Unity sees texture fine, after all, if it is set to ignore alpha channel.

9. Afassolas

Afassolas

I have replied in your email and sent you the substance painter texture file via wetransfer. Com

hopeful likes this.
  10. ImperativeGames

ImperativeGames

Thank you very much! Sorry for some miscommunication - a lot of work and I somehow missed your email for a while... Anyway, I already got mid-level tear-and-wear floor I needed and left 5-star review. Hope it helps, cheers)

11. Afassolas

Afassolas

Thank you very much for the review and I am glad I could help. As I said to our email communication the Sci-Fi Modular pack is undergoing extensive optimization at the moment preparing for a big upgrade hopefully done within January, if you like to follow some of the progress please like our Facebook page https://facebook.com/methexistudios

hopeful likes this.
  12. hopeful

hopeful

What sorts of things will you be doing for optimization? Sometimes optimizations can work against me, as a dev, which is why I ask.

Examples of optimization that would work against me would include mesh combining and dropping individual textures in favor of an atlas.

Those are the sorts of things that a scene developer should be doing, not the artist, IMO.

13. ImperativeGames

ImperativeGames

Talking about optimisation, I reduced amount of vertices in some models, sometimes just getting rid of details and, maybe most important, replaced mesh colliders with box colliders.
    Oh, and a few textures were around 120Mb, just opened them in Photoshop and resaved.
    I guess that's the optimisation...
    Also, it's not universal, yes, but I did combined some meshes and created texture atlases.
    It's not hard for "scene developer"... But it's not easy for everyone though, and when assets are easy to use, they are more useful. It's ideal when they have both single texture and atlases, IMHO.
    Like, walls having single material, is a must for great performance, no?

14. hopeful

hopeful

Mesh combining only helps if the whole mesh is always going to be used together. Atlasing only helps if the various objects are always going to be used together. The asset store has plugins to assist with mesh combining and atlasing. Any serious developer probably either has these or has made their own. But the time to apply them is when the developer has finished making a scene for their game, not before.

I know there are some people who buy art assets and immediately flip them into a game; like endless iterations of the same game but with different art. I'm not that kind of customer. I buy art so I have the tiny bits that I can assemble in my own way, in conjunction with other tiny bits I have purchased from other artists. I have several mesh combining, decimating, and atlasing tools at my disposal, so I can make my scenes run efficiently.

Mesh combining in this kit can be addressed, if you wish, by including a script to combine meshes. These are freely available out there. I've had one art asset for years that has included such a script.

Atlasing can be addressed by including a duplicate set of materials which point to the atlas texture. In this way the customer who likes to customize and blend can still get their source material, while the "let's make a game out of this one asset" type guys can use the materials with the atlas (and not have to atlas it themselves, which is easy, but these guys want to churn things out with as little effort as possible).

If this kit "optimizes" itself to the point where it can only be used by itself, it will be yet another kit I've bought that has become useless.

15. ImperativeGames

ImperativeGames

It's a good points and smart thoughts, but people are different, situations are different.
    I have little time to work on my game and the mesh combining asset I bought - SLO (Super Level Optimizer) - creates some problems I can't easily solve (can't spent time studying mesh combining scripting to write my own or this particular asset) or discard (lighting becomes buggy for example - not ok).
    So I dropped SLO and combined sections of walls/corridors/rooms in Blender. No bugs, don't have to wait hours when it combines, can iterate and build level quickly.
    It's not that I'm lazy and want make as little effort as possible because I don't like to work or think, it's just I want to be able to sleep 5 hours a day.

16. hopeful

hopeful

One reason why I don't like mesh combining all the time is that I like to turn off mesh renderers when they're not visible. When they are all combined you can't always turn them off very easily. In areas with walled off rooms, especially if the rooms are behind opaque doors, all of the meshes in the room can be turned off if there is no one there to see or interact with them. That is normally a huge savings.

If SLO isn't working for you, possibly try ootii's Mesh Merge and Splice. I don't have either of them, but I know ootii is a good dev, and it's on sale for about $10 right now. Or, as I said before, I'm pretty sure there are scads of free scripts for mesh combining.

I hear you on different devs having different needs. Many devs are baking lighting and building for mobile, while I'm on desktop using dynamic lighting.

17. Afassolas

Afassolas

Most optimizations have to do with the reduction of polys but not at the expense of quality in most cases things are looking up better than the initials. This tedious redesigning work will open the path for the real updates that will include new models. We plan in making this huge. LODS are not in our plans cause there are packs at the asset store to handle that and cause the polycount reduction will be massive.

Some samples of outcome.

Attached Files:

ImperativeGames and hopeful like this.