Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Sci Fi modular level building toolkit (currently 5732 prefabs) ☀️

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by STEAKandGAMES, Jun 17, 2020.

1. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

Current Total (as of 08/10/20): 5732 prefabs, and 1168 meshes.

You can find it at this link. http://u3d.as/1WRo

Keep checking here for updates, and make any recommendations on what you'd like to see added.

Please visit the asset page for additional screenshots and videos. I'm trying to clean up this thread. Screenshots have been updated during the latest package update, and I don't want this thread to become redundant and full of 800 images to scroll through.

I love modular building assets. They are like Legos for adults. I initially was building out this setup to use for my own purposes in a game, but instead found that my passion for creating the assets surpasses my want for building a game. I’m now planning on listing this on the asset store for other creators to use, and am excited to see what others will come up with. My plans for this asset will be to have people submit their ideas on what they’d like added and to continually update it with new additions from these recommendations. Please feel free to weigh in on what you see, and float your ideas on what I should build to include in it, or to put in future updates.

It currently includes the following…

Completed Prefabs
    Version 1.6
    Prefabs

Interior walls
    Exterior walls
    Accent panels *
    Platforms
    Interior stairs
    Exterior stairs
    Ceiling panels **
    Doors (animated and non-animated) ***
    Hangar Sized Doors (animated and non-animated)
    Floor tiles
    Wall mounted lights (in 4 light colors)
    Ceiling mounted lights (in 4 light colors)
    Pillars
    Hand Railings
    Interior triangle walls
    Exterior triangle walls
    Exterior frames for buildings
    Bases for raising buildings out of the terrain
    Angled roofs ****
    Wall accent pillars *****
    Pipes ******
    Cores (for designing the shapes of buildings prior to setting them up)
    Crates (animated and non-animated) (Updated 08/30/20)

* Accent Panels -designed to snap into the walls with cutouts
    ** Ceilings -Additional lighting included in some of the ceiling panels
    *** Doors -Set up idle, opening, and closing animations for each door. Set up the animator and a simple script and collider detecting the "Player" tag. Can either change the tag on your character, or change the script to your current tag or NPC. Included both animated and non-animated prefabs, in case you prefer to use your own scripting or animations.
    **** Roofs -With and without utility trays for mounting props like antennas, etc. and with and without a number of skylights.
    ***** Wall Accent Pillars -variations with and without lights, windows, and pipe snap-ins. Included prefabs to add in a blacked out top for top-down views.
    ****** Pipes -designed to snap into the wall accent pillars. Each pillar has 8 places designed for pipes to run. 3 medium at the top, 3 small in the middle, and 1 large and 1 medium at the bottom.

In-Progress
    more lighting options In-Planning
    more props In-Planning
    removable panels with "stuff" inside In-Planning
    flat roofs In-Planning

All are designed to be usable for Top-Down, FPS, 3rd Person, etc.

Materials are all atlased to keep draw counts down, and many of the meshes share 4k texture atlases.
    Current texture variants of all items are 2 different metals, 1 plastic, and 1 rusted option. So far I've been trying to just make things look good and clean with a classic Sci-Fi look, and free of a billion decals and clutter. (can always do something like that later if wanted) Each material includes Specular, Albedo, Normal, and Occlusion layers. (emission layer included where applicable)

I’m really trying to have an attention to detail, while keeping everything simple enough for performance and reduced draw counts and triangles.

Let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

Best results with Deferred rendering and Linear workflow.

Here are some screenshots of the different texture options (sorry imgur strips out some fine detail and brightness).

metal01 texture variant

metal02 texture variant

plastic01 texture variant

rust01 texture variant

texture details example

Thanks all, and can't wait to hear thoughts and recommendations!
    -Steak

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    PutridEx likes this.
  2. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

Sci Fi Modular Level Building Toolkit - ChangeLog
    STEAKandGAMES

V1.6 - Converted textures to PNG instead of TGA. Quality remains the same, but asset now takes up a quarter of the space that it used to! - Recommend backing up your project prior to updating

V1.5 - More Crates!
    adding new models
    • Crates – 92 Total new crate prefabs
    • Crate02 – 8 new prefabs
      • Animated and non-animated.
      • smaller version of Crate01
    • Crate03 – 8 new prefabs
      • canister styled crate
    • Crate04 – 60 new prefabs
      • Small crate with multiple options
      • Empty, blue cells, red cells, white cells, and yellow cells
      • Also included prefabs non-animated and open.
    • Crate05 – 8 new prefabs
      • Box-style that opens at the top and face in a folding style
    • Crate06 – 8 new prefabs
      • Case style, rifle case styling
    • All Models include texture variants in metal01, metal02, plastic01, and rust01
    Quality of Life
    • Added missed colliders to wall prefabs 22a-25b in all texture variants

V1.42 – Texture fix
    • Rebuilt all floor textures to get rid of some repetition that was more noticeable than intended.

V1.41 – Bugfix
    • Fixing a NaN vertex value bug on the steak_Crate01_base mesh. Was causing some bloom flicker.

V1.4 – Platforms, small stairs, half-height walls, and handrails update
    adding new models
    • Platforms – 392 new prefabs
    • Railings – 64 new prefabs
    • Short Stairs – 64 new prefabs
    • Half-height walls – 4 new prefabs

V1.3 – Hangar Doors update
    adding new models
    • hangar-sized doors – 40 new prefabs
      • 2 sizes – 2 wide and 3 wide

V1.2 – Wall Pillar and Pipes update
    adding new models
    • wall pillars – 244 new prefabs
      • variations with and without lights, windows, and pipe snap-ins
    • pipes – 320 new prefabs
      • 5 different textures in all 4 variations.
      • 3 different sizes (large, medium, and small)
      • corner options of all prefabs
      • all pipes are designed to snap into the wall pillars, and each wall pillar has 8 places designed for pipes to run. 3 medium at the top, 3 small in the middle, and 1 large and 1 medium at the bottom.
    Quality of life
    • moved pivot points and positioning of all wall mounted light prefabs to make them easier to place
    • added light prefabs without point lights for versatility

V1.1 – Crates and wall accents update
    adding new models
    • Crates – 8 new prefabs
    • Interior walls – 36 new prefabs
    • Exterior walls – 4 new prefabs
    • Accent wall objects – 72 prefabs

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  3. MrIconic

MrIconic

Interesting pack so far. Are those ring lights? Did not expect that but it looks interesting. Are there options without a pole so they can be mounted on a wall?

4. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

I could make the rings able to be wall mounted, I did make some that are ceiling mounted that could simply be rotated 90 degrees to place on a wall. The rings are actually a separate object on the floor standing model prefabs, so that they can be rotated separate from the base. When putting things together, I try to envision how I would want things to articulate and make sure that it's possible.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  5. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  6. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Looks cool!

STEAKandGAMES likes this.
  7. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

v1.5 submitted to the asset store, increasing prefab count to 5732. Changelog and original post updated to reflect the changes.

8. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

9. Rarceth

Rarceth

Is this made for base Unity, or URP/HDRP?
    If not made for an SRP, is it possible you could make a sub-package with materials configured for URP?

10. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

It is made for base Unity. However, I have tested extensively with using the built-in material converter in Unity and all materials convert successfully except for the transparency of the 1 glass material (due to how hdrp handles transparency, and easily fixed by adjusting alpha and material settings. I specifically separated all glass meshes in prefabs for precisely this reason, and to make it easier for people to convert)

I didn't include both versions due to how much additional space it would bloat the package to (as it would essentially double the size) when the converter works adequately. See below for Unity's information on converting the materials. (warning, it takes a while to convert the materials.)

To upgrade the Materials in your Scene to HDRP-compatible Materials, navigate to Edit > Render Pipeline and select one of the following options:

-Upgrade Project Materials to High Definition Materials: Converts all compatible Materials in your Project to HDRP Materials.

-Upgrade Selected Materials to High Definition Materials: Converts Materials that are currently selected in the Project window.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...-definition@6.7/manual/Upgrading-To-HDRP.html

Also... if you are interested but concerned about the process, feel free to grab the small pack of crates and test it out. If all goes well, then you can just upgrade to the full kit, for the upgrade price making the crates free. If you run into issues with the process of converting them, I can either assist you or refund you on the crates pack.

11. Kallex2

Kallex2

Just to clarify about URP, as your post above mentions the HDRP, but not URP.

So is the process straightforward also to converting to URP?

12. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

13. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hello,

Can you convert the textures from TGA to PNG, because the size is really large over 7 GB. I tried to do it via script but something with the UVs is broken. I don't think anyone can use this pack with such a size, you cant even push it to github.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  14. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

can you tell me a bit more about what you're trying to do. I know that this asset is huge, being that it has almost 6000 prefabs in it (mostly due to the uncompressed 4k textures).

As for the TGA files, I only use TGA for diffusion and specularity, because I don't have the greatest success with alpha channels in PNG files. Being that most of the objects in this asset are reflective and I wanted the highest quality for glossiness and light bounce, that is why I'm using TGA for those channels.

For reference, each material layout is like below...
    (Example)
    albedo.tga - 65537kb
    emission.png - 119kb
    normal.png - 19737kb
    occlusion.png - 6870kb
    specular.tga - 65537kb

after conversion to png... it's still large, as the 2 tga files for each UV only drop from 65mb to 49mb. It looks like you may have modified resolution or something in your conversion, as your example definitely doesn't have the UV lining up on all channels. Keep in mind, it will never be this size in a build, as it will use whatever size compression and texture that you opt to use for the materials and only include the models and textures that you have in your scenes. If you're really just looking to cut down on your assets size for the project, you will probably need to remove models that you don't intend to use. It's just the nature of Unity projects and huge asset packs such as this. I am just trying to keep it as versatile as possible and include everything all together.

15. skinwalker

skinwalker

Please check out my other post where I explain what I did, using this method the PNGs are 20 mb with 4k res and I resize it to 2k and it becomes 5mb. I did a couple of tests with resizing and even if I dont scale down the png to 2k the issue is still appearing, so the main problem is converting from tga to png.

Link: https://forum.unity.com/threads/i-c...tures-to-png-but-there-are-uv-issues.1064666/

I posted source links above what Im doing exactly and people are saying that if its done right PNGs and TGAs have no difference in unity (like the way Quixel is handling PNGs).

Also having 6000 prefabs is not what makes it huge, the model folders is below 500 mbs, the reason why it's huge is because of the textures and you may say that all of these models need different textures, but a lot of them are reusing the same ones and I've seen bigger packs that are 4 times less the size, but everything is PNG and the size is small (on the asset store page it says 2GB but it has all render pipe lines included, in reality its ~1gb) -> https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/sci-fi/sci-fi-facility-sector-43-175132

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  16. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

in your conversion process, as you're resizing the TGA files from 4k to 2k when converting to PNG, are you also resizing the existing PNG files to the same percentage?

I'm not opposed to making a lower resolution version and publishing it separately for anyone who (like yourself) wants a smaller sized pack. But that will take a bit of time to rebuild it and publish it to the asset store, and then iron out the "free" upgrade process. As I don't want people having to buy different versions, and want people to be able to use either or for the single price. Not a bad idea for the long run, but want to help you figure out the issue with your conversion in the meantime to get you rolling.

17. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

ah, I just noticed that you said that even if you don't scale down the texture's size to 2k it was still happening. Let me do some testing and see what I come up with. Will respond back with results.

18. skinwalker

skinwalker

Yes the problem comes with the PNGs not with scaling down. You can still test it but I've tried it plenty of times on different assets and it didn't make a difference keeping it 4k.

19. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

I'm not yet sure why your conversion is offsetting it. But if you look at the atlas for that material, you can see how your conversion is offsetting location. I still need to do some testing of your conversion method through the link you posted, but just eyeballing it it looks like your conversion is offsetting the diffuse and specular channels like below...

20. skinwalker

skinwalker

Thanks for researching this, I don't have much experience working with textures, so any help is appreciated :)

21. skinwalker

skinwalker

It seems that by doing these commands the texture gets flipped vertically and currently I'm searching for commands to undo this effect.

22. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

Can you post the commands that you used for converting?

I also spent a few hours last night converting files and testing lower texture resolutions, and the results are pretty pukey at 2k resolution, but all textures still line up and aren't offset like yours were. I'm still testing to see if I can come up with an adequately releasable low resolution, but at this point it's not of a quality that I would consider releasing. My issue is that I do a lot of editing manually in photoshop, and I can't get the alpha channels to work correctly in photoshop with PNGs, which is why I stick to targa format for diffusion and specularity, otherwise I lose all definition in the renderings.

23. skinwalker

skinwalker

From tga to png -> for f in *.tga; do magick ./"$f" ./"${f%.tga}.png"; done;

Remove tga -> rm *.tga

24. skinwalker

skinwalker

The difference I see between 4k and 2k is very minimal. Also 4k PNGs are 10mb compared to 4k tga which is 65mb.

I think the best way is when you are done working on the TGA to convert to PNG and keep it 4k.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  25. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

I'm trying to make sense of your variable replacement in your command string, so bare with me. I've never used imagemagick before, but it looks like they support a number of operator strings. My guess is that it isn't correctly identifying the exif orientation data. try modifying your string as follows and adding in the -flip operator.

for f in *.tga; do magick ./"$f" -flip ./"${f%.tga}.png"; done;

26. skinwalker

skinwalker

Thanks, I will try that, will need to delete and reimport everything again first.

27. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

could probably just try doing the smaller crates asset, rather than the full toolkit. Would be faster for importing and testing. Then if it works you can do the full kit.

Also, I'm sure you already know, but you'll need to rename the meta files to reflect the extension change. from *.tga.meta to *.png.meta (do this with unity closed, or it's going to get angry)

28. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

FYI, I just tested this manually using magick, and it worked correctly even without adding -flip. Granted, I just did a single file as a test using the standard magick command line (as I don't quite understand your command string)

magick steak_SciFi_Crate02_plastic01_Albedo.tga steak_SciFi_Crate02_plastic01_Albedo.png

Comes out with the correct orientation.

to be honest, I don't really understand what your command string is doing, as it doesn't work for me. in testing, something like the following works correctly... it's ugly, and has no error handling, but it will convert each tga file in a folder to png, rename them correctly, delete the old tga, and then rename the meta files.

make a batch file with the following
    for %%f in (*.TGA) do magick convert %%f %%f.png

rename *Albedo.tga.png *Albedo.png && del /f *Albedo.tga && rename *Albedo.tga.meta *Albedo.png.meta

rename *Specular.tga.png *Specular.png && del /f *Specular.tga && rename *Specular.tga.meta *Specular.png.meta

I'm creating a test project now, and will convert everything to PNG and see if everything still looks correct.

if this works correctly, this brings the size of the TGA from 64megs down to 8.6megs O.O

29. skinwalker

skinwalker

I converted the whole project to TGA using my method and flipping them vertically after, the size is currently 2GB with 4k textures, but I still need to do the HDRP materials upgrade and it will create a mask that will take some size too (I can delete the maps used for it later).

I will resize some of the small objects to 2k like the lootboxes or maybe everything until I bring it to 1GB like yesterday, I don't really see a lot of difference between 2k and 4k, it just gets a bit blurry with 2k but only if you look it up close in VR I guess.

Also the reason why the PNG is 8mb is because its using higher compression level, I think around 6, but if you use 0 compression the PNGs will be 50+ mb too, well you can't really see the difference with a naked eye.

30. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

yep, I'm testing right now as well, just made a project and converted everything and it brings the textures from 8.16GB down to 2.62GB. Pretty cool. That's at 4k, and without messing with any additional compression settings. Just the default that ImageMagick uses.

31. skinwalker

skinwalker

Do you notice any difference between the 65mb tga and 10mb png? In my test I don't see a difference.

32. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

actually, no not really. looks pretty damned good. I'm still testing though.

Now I won't feel so bad if I add a ton more models into the pack :D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  33. skinwalker

skinwalker

I used this command you suggested and it flipped them after converting, works fine in unity

for f in *.tga; do magick ./"$f" -flip ./"${f%.tga}.png"; done;

34. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

yeah, I started over and added the -flip and it appears to be working correctly as well. I'm doing it slightly different though and through a batch file

for %%f in (*.TGA) do magick convert -flip %%f %%f.png
    rename *Albedo.tga.png *Albedo.png && del /f *Albedo.tga && rename *Albedo.tga.meta *Albedo.png.meta
    rename *Specular.tga.png *Specular.png && del /f *Specular.tga && rename *Specular.tga.meta *Specular.png.meta

35. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

side by side comparison finished, and even just tested in VR and game. There is really no discernible difference in visual quality. Have to say that I'm happy you came along requesting a conversion to png. Asset size is about a quarter what it was versus tga.

skinwalker likes this.
  36. skinwalker

skinwalker

Great, happy that you helped and yeah png is way better, they both dont affect the build size much different but hdd space difference is huge.

37. Rarceth

Rarceth

Sorry for not replying earlier, missed the notification!
    Thanks for the info :) I've had a few packages similar fail the upgrade due to custom shader work, but if it seems yours doesnt I might give it a whirl!

Keep up the good work :)

38. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

To anyone who bought my old deprecated asset from like 5 years ago, shoot me a message with the invoice number and I'll get you a free copy of the latest kit.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  39. Dante20011

Dante20011

Hi! Is there anyway you can upload the prefabs with the sample rooms you show on the video?

40. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

I just threw that together quick for the video. I'll have to see if I have the scene still. I could probably throw together some rooms though, and add in some completed room prefabs to an update to the pack.

41. Dante20011

Dante20011

42. Dante20011

Dante20011

Took some time and made two rooms with the asset. Result is spectacular. Need to populate the insides with monsters and loot but that should be relatively fast.

Attached Files:

STEAKandGAMES likes this.
  43. skinwalker

skinwalker

Just to let you know, because I did the same thing. That many point lights especially with realtime shadows are destroying the performance. Use spot lights instead (1 or 2 in each room) - they are much cheaper than point lights and this asset no matter what lights you are using to turn off shadows and quality when the player moves away. Also if your room feels dark use fake lights with this asset. Even AAA studios are using stuff like that - I've seen it in the last of us 2. I hope one day computers are able to handle unlimited amount of point lights with realtime shadows in a game.

Dante20011 likes this.
  44. Dante20011

Dante20011

Thanks a lot! Will take them under advice. Yes, I know I need to remove lights. Also the doors open badly cuz I rotated them in a wrong way. Thanks again!

45. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

I'm sure we've all been there when moving animated doors. So many times I've been building out levels and moved the "parts" of an animated object, and not selected it's root level. Leaving behind the trigger colliders and animation start/stop points. Makes for some interesting gameplay testing when things start flying all over the place.

Dante20011 likes this.
  46. expcalibur

expcalibur

Hi! I've been trying to bake lightning in a scene I created using your asset and Unity tells me that all the objects in the scene have UV Overlaps. Do you know how to fix it?

47. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

The UV Overlap warnings can safely be ignored, as it is not causing any lighting artifacts or inconsistencies in all of the testing that I've performed.

Response that was also posted to the review. (See below.)

I've had back and forth emails now with him for a few days, and helping him to figure out his lighting situation. However, this asset is working correctly and not causing the lighting issues. The challenge is that the user was wanting to light his scenes only with emissions, and baking the global illumination. After a few hours of working with him on his issue and many emails back and forth, it appears to be a limitation with the Standard unity renderer in that it is not working to only use this method to light the scene and is incompatible with only baking GI on specular PBR textures without using any lights. I've recommended that he either use mixed lighting (realtime and baked Global Illumination) or switch to SRP to utilize realtime area lights and GI. I was able to fully resolve the issue in my own testing using the standard unity renderer using light probes or by using mixed lighting, and have relayed the information and screenshots and settings.

48. STEAKandGAMES

STEAKandGAMES

FYI, user also updated his review to 5 stars after we were able to correct the lighting in his scene.