Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Sci-Fi Arsenal

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Archanor, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Archanor

Archanor

Yep, you're right. It's very rare being able to participate in a 24h deal, having the site go down for 10+ hours probably cut my sales in half.

2. spectrewolf

spectrewolf

Hi there,
    Just wanted to say your active support replies on this forum have been great, and are what easily convinced me to buy this just now. Keep up the good work, and thank you!

Archanor likes this.
  3. Archanor

Archanor

Hey, thanks for buying! If you need any help with the effects, I'm best reached at archanor.work@gmail.com :)

I just got response from the Asset Store and told me they're planning on doing a rerun sale in May.

hopeful likes this.
  4. Tobolov

Tobolov

Hey Archanor! Loving the asset so far!
    I recall you saying a while back you were going to change it to use modular sprites for the effects versus one for each color. You might or might not have seen this free asset but if you use this as a dependency this might be achievable. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/51762
    You could also use a script such as this http://pastebin.com/683Gk9xZ

You probably seen these already but I thought it would do any harm :p. Would love to see this added in the future!

-Matt

5. Archanor

Archanor

@Tobolov I did start experimenting with a shader like that not long ago, and would very much like to add it in soon! The only problem I had so far is that I lose the ability to use Color over Lifetime and similar settings on particle systems. I can probably work around it though.

6. Archanor

Archanor

There's a small patch coming for Sci-Fi Arsenal, as someone pointed out that it's problematic importing several of the Arsenal packs into a project. I tested it with Magic Arsenal and so far I found no problems.

There will also be updates for the rest of the Arsenal series to get rid of the script errors in between packs.

7. Tobolov

Tobolov

Looking forward to it!

Quick question on optimisation.
    I am using this asset in a 2d mobile game and it is causing a bit of lag. It can be solved by dropping the rendering quality to minimal settings but i was wondering if you could suggest anything. Thanks and have a good one!

8. Archanor

Archanor

@Tobolov If you can e-mail me details about which effects you're trying to use, I can take a look and see if anything can be done with it.

What I usually suggest is:

1. Convert the material type of the textures to Mobile (Mobile/Particles/Additive)
    2. Reduce amount of particles emitted per system. If it originally used a lot of tiny particles, increase the Start Size to compensate for the lack of particles
    3. Remove light effects
    4. Reduce maximum texture sizes

9. chris-nolet

chris-nolet

These are great effects – thank you for publishing them! I'm trying to import the BlueLaserSmallProjectile in to a VR project, but the billboarding makes the laser seem 'razor thin' when viewed from behind. Is there any way to give the laser a substantial width when viewed from behind? I've tried experimenting with the Render Mode, but to no avail. Any assistance would be hugely appreciated!

10. Archanor

Archanor

Hey, thanks. There's a bigger laser prefab which has a more volumetric particle system on it. You can either use the bigger version or copy over the 'volumetric' bit from the other.

Can help you more over e-mail if needed!

KaletheQuick and chris-nolet like this.
  11. MLitvinov

MLitvinov

First off the system is sensational. I am struggling with scaling the particles especially at runtime. Do you have any recommendations on the best way to scale the particle systems with child particle systems?

12. Archanor

Archanor

@MLitvinov Did you e-mail me earlier today? Someone was asking a similar question.

You should be able to scale the effect with Transform- as that will scale all the Particle Systems (as well as child particle systems). Some of the elements you will have to scale yourself- Lights, Trail renderers and Sound may have to be edited.

There's also some certain Particle Systems that use Stretched Billboards that don't always scale very well, you will need to change the Length Scale under the Renderer tab depending on the effect.

Let me know if this helps, if not, please e-mail me with some more details.

13. MLitvinov

MLitvinov

This answered my question. I noticed that the bullet system was a billboard and needed to be scaled manually while the bullet impact I could scale using the standard Unity transform. Thanks again!

Archanor likes this.
  14. Archanor

Archanor

Got a new free content update on the way! Should be available early next week.

v1.5

- 8 new FX and 47 new prefabs
    - Added new Sharp Missile FX (10 prefabs)
    - Added new Loot FX (7 prefabs)
    - Added new Zone FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added new Buff FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added new Aura FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added new Shield FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added new Nova FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added new Beamup Cloud FX (5 prefabs)
    - Updated all Zone FX
    - Replaced .JS with .CS
    - Replaced some textures
    - Minor optimizations
    - Minor fixes

15. GunFister

GunFister

Hello! My team is currently working with your Sci-Fi arsenal but I wanted to know if the Mystic Arsenal was much different as we really like your work but can't afford to purchase something that has the same effects..

Thanks!!

16. Archanor

Archanor

@GunFister Hey, I can say that it depends a bit on what you're looking for. In a lot of ways they are quite similar, the most significant differences are the visual styles and type of effects included.

My newer assets may be more refined in some ways, and use new features (such as noise) within particle systems which didn't exist when I made the older ones.

The Arsenal series is built around a lot of the same type of effects which I think people will be able to use, just with different visual styles. I try to improve the recipe as I work on a new project though.

17. GunFister

GunFister

@Archanor Sounds good.. I think the biggest issue would be that the newer SFX are relatively higher res, making the end user required to make adjustments for lower-end platforms such as mobile or VR..

All in all, the stuff is brilliant, so kudos on the great assets!

18. Archanor

Archanor

@GunFister Thanks. Mystic Arsenal uses more particles as well as bigger texture spritesheets which can be a bit much for mobile.

I was confused for a bit as you wrote SFX as I've been working on sound effects lately (I assume you meant visual effects). In any case, it got me thinking about sound formats. So far I've stuck with WAV for what are relatively short sound effects, do you have any preferences in sound formats for mobile?

19. GunFister

GunFister

@Archanor Sorry for the late response.. For the most part, when dealing with mobile applications, it's often going to be the memory footprint that's the biggest hurdle. It'd probably be a bit ridiculous to have you include multiple versions of the audio files, as most developer will take the highest end rendition included and then down-sample for file size, etc. based on their needs. I often will down-sample the WAV file to get the memory footprint I'm looking for, while knowing on most mobile games, audio quality is often a much lower priority due to the limited speaker sizes on phones, etc.

Archanor likes this.
  20. sopwerk

sopwerk

Hi @Archanor, I've just bought your asset and like it very mach.

It looks fantastic in the gamma color space but is not that good in the linear color space - particle effects are quite different, have washed out colors and are not that nice-looking.

As my entire project is done in the linear color space, I would like to use your effects in the linear color space as well.
    Is there is a linear space version of your asset?
    Or do you have and advise how to convert particle effects to the linear color space?

21. Archanor

Archanor

@sopwerk Hey! From what I remember you can change the materials Tint Color to full white instead of it's original grey color. You may be able to select multiple materials at the same time when you do this.

Unity_2018-01-09_16-56-50.png

hopeful likes this.
  22. MrBubba256

MrBubba256

I'm getting the following error in Unity when using the BlueEnergyCharge prefab.
    The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Point light') is missing!

While it's not a fatal error, I would like to clean it up. Is this a known issue and is there a fix available/forthcoming?
    Thanks.

23. Archanor

Archanor

@MrBubba256 Hey, sorry. Looks like you found a missing script reference. Select the Point Light child of the BlueEnergyCharge prefab and remove the missing script. This should get rid of the error.

What is actually supposed to be there is a light flicker script with the following settings:

Unity_2018-06-13_01-53-41.png

24. MrBubba256

MrBubba256

First, thank you for the quick reply. Top marks for customer service! (and the light is a nice add to the effect.)
    Second, I'm really enjoying this set of assets. They're immediately useful and a great learning experience picking them apart to see how you've done these things and customizing them for my game. Money very well spent.

25. Archanor

Archanor

@MrBubba256 Happy to help! :)

If you haven't already, consider rating and leaving a small review on the Asset Store!

26. SIV

SIV

Hello,

How can i make the laser works without any interactivity please ? i want just normal laser (with sound) to be in the scene for players to jump above or go under, i can only see the interactive demo where we should use mouse click to make it work.

Thank you.

27. Archanor

Archanor

Hey,

At the moment there is a scheduled power out, so I don't have access to my PC until late tonight or tomorrow.

28. SIV

SIV

Thank you i will be waiting.

29. Archanor

Archanor

@SIV As I don't program much myself, I'll try to get some programming help from a friend tomorrow.

30. SIV

SIV

Ok thank you :)

31. Archanor

Archanor

@SIV Make a new C# script in the Sci-Fi Arsenal/Scripts folder named SciFiBeamStatic.cs and copy/paste this in:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class SciFiBeamStatic : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    8.     [Header("Prefabs")]
    9.     public GameObject beamLineRendererPrefab; //Put a prefab with a line renderer onto here.
    10.     public GameObject beamStartPrefab; //This is a prefab that is put at the start of the beam.
    11.     public GameObject beamEndPrefab; //Prefab put at end of beam.
    13.     private GameObject beamStart;
    14.     private GameObject beamEnd;
    15.     private GameObject beam;
    16.     private LineRenderer line;
    18.     [Header("Beam Options")]
    19.     public bool alwaysOn = true; //Enable this to spawn the beam when script is loaded.
    20.     public bool beamCollides = true; //Beam stops at colliders
    21.     public float beamLength = 100; //Ingame beam length
    22.     public float beamEndOffset = 0f; //How far from the raycast hit point the end effect is positioned
    23.     public float textureScrollSpeed = 0f; //How fast the texture scrolls along the beam, can be negative or positive.
    24.     public float textureLengthScale = 1f;   //Set this to the horizontal length of your texture relative to the vertical.
    25.                                             //Example: if texture is 200 pixels in height and 600 in length, set this to 3
    27.     void Start()
    28.     {
    30.     }
    32.     private void OnEnable()
    33.     {
    34.         if (alwaysOn) //When the object this script is attached to is enabled, spawn the beam.
    35.             SpawnBeam();
    36.     }
    38.     private void OnDisable() //If the object this script is attached to is disabled, remove the beam.
    39.     {
    40.         RemoveBeam();
    41.     }
    43.     void FixedUpdate()
    44.     {
    45.         if (beam) //Updates the beam
    46.         {
    47.             line.SetPosition(0, transform.position);
    49.             Vector3 end;
    50.             RaycastHit hit;
    51.             if (beamCollides && Physics.Raycast(transform.position, transform.forward, out hit)) //Checks for collision
    52.                 end = hit.point - (transform.forward * beamEndOffset);
    53.             else
    54.                 end = transform.position + (transform.forward * beamLength);
    56.             line.SetPosition(1, end);
    58.             if (beamStart)
    59.             {
    60.                 beamStart.transform.position = transform.position;
    61.                 beamStart.transform.LookAt(end);
    62.             }
    63.             if (beamEnd)
    64.             {
    65.                 beamEnd.transform.position = end;
    66.                 beamEnd.transform.LookAt(beamStart.transform.position);
    67.             }
    69.             float distance = Vector3.Distance(transform.position, end);
    70.             line.material.mainTextureScale = new Vector2(distance / textureLengthScale, 1); //This sets the scale of the texture so it doesn't look stretched
    71.             line.material.mainTextureOffset -= new Vector2(Time.deltaTime * textureScrollSpeed, 0); //This scrolls the texture along the beam if not set to 0
    72.         }
    73.     }
    75.     public void SpawnBeam() //This function spawns the prefab with linerenderer
    76.     {
    77.         if (beamLineRendererPrefab)
    78.         {
    79.             if (beamStartPrefab)
    80.                 beamStart = Instantiate(beamStartPrefab);
    81.             if (beamEndPrefab)
    82.                 beamEnd = Instantiate(beamEndPrefab);
    83.             beam = Instantiate(beamLineRendererPrefab);
    84.             beam.transform.position = transform.position;
    85.             beam.transform.parent = transform;
    86.             beam.transform.rotation = transform.rotation;
    87.             line = beam.GetComponent<LineRenderer>();
    88.             line.useWorldSpace = true;
    89.             #if UNITY_5_5_OR_NEWER
    90.             line.positionCount = 2;
    91.             #else
    92.             line.SetVertexCount(2);
    93.             #endif
    94.         }
    95.         else
    96.             print("Add a hecking prefab with a line renderer to the SciFiBeamStatic script on " + gameObject.name + "! Heck!");
    97.     }
    99.     public void RemoveBeam() //This function removes the prefab with linerenderer
    100.     {
    101.         if (beam)
    102.             Destroy(beam);
    103.         if (beamStart)
    104.             Destroy(beamStart);
    105.         if (beamEnd)
    106.             Destroy(beamEnd);
    107.     }
    108. }

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  32. SIV

SIV

Thank you !

33. Robdon

Robdon

FYI, using Unity 2018.1.0f2 and Sci-fi-Arsenal.

All the 'Shockwave' effects in the Archanor/Sci-Fi Arsenal/Effects/Prefabs/Projectiles/Shockwave' folder have little problem with the Impact objects. The 'Stockwave' GO/particle part isn't working, because in the Renderer its set to 'Mesh' and the 'Mesh' says 'Missing'. I've changed it to 'Sphere' and it seems to fix it.

Archanor likes this.
  34. Archanor

Archanor

@Robdon Thanks for the heads up. The effects are using the standard Unity meshes, they must have updated or replaced them in a newer version which makes them disappear.

Robdon likes this.
  35. Robdon

Robdon

Just another little heads up, in Archanor/Sci-Fi Arsenal/Sci-Fi Effects/Prefabs/Nova/ the Yellow one has one of its particle components set to Purple colour, instead of yellow.

It the 'Force' part of the particle, and its the ColorOverLifetime that is wrong.

Archanor likes this.
  36. EmpireStudios

EmpireStudios

I didn't see anything about this being optimized for mobile so I passed.

37. Archanor

Archanor

@EmpireStudios They're not especially optimized for mobile, but I guess it's not impossible using them for mobile. Depends on how you use them.

Some quick optimizations you could do is change the materials to Mobile, disable light effects and reduce the # of particles on the most advanced effects. The biggest drawback of this pack is that it uses a lot of big textures.

38. Tha_Urthmaan

Tha_Urthmaan

Hello, hope all are well.
    Im using a top down shooter template and Im having trouble figuring out how would I turn these prefabs (ie, bullet) into projectiles? The template has their instance set up to where it allows for drag and drop, but Im not familiar with how to make these effects into projectiles. Thanks and have a great day.

39. Archanor

Archanor

@Tha_Urthmaan I saw your post history in the TDE thread, and I think I would check out these things:

1. Drag and drop my prefabs into the scene to see if the scale is appropriate to your project, as they said it may be a scaling problem
    2. Check if there are any scripts attached to the original TDE template bullet that may need to be applied to my Bullet prefabs

You're welcome to share my asset/prefabs with them to figure out if there are any problems between the assets. I'm not sure how much I'd be able to help as I'm not that great of a programmer.

40. Archanor

Archanor

New update is out!

v1.6 (5.3.4 and 2017.1)

To ensure the latest update works smoothly, please consider removing the older version before you import the latest version of the asset. The latest update features hierarchy updates and will be easier to browse.

The latest update also features major FX improvements, including optimizations and all new content!

- 11 new FX and 58 new prefabs
    - Added Powerup FX (7 prefabs)
    - Added Hologram FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added WavePortal FX (6 prefabs)
    - Added Forcefield FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added Flare FX (6 prefabs)
    - Added Smoke FX (2 prefabs)
    - Added Spark FX (2 prefabs)
    - Added Spin Aura FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added BulletV2 FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added Fog Shield FX (6 prefabs)
    - Added Spin Shield FX (6 prefabs)
    - Added randomized pitch script for sound effects
    - Updated and fine tuned every effect
    - Updated and added new sound effects
    - Updated demo scenes
    - Effects are better sorted
    - Effects should now scale better
    - Effects have been optimized to re-use textures better
    - Total asset size reduced from 125 mb to 88 mb

41. farazk86

farazk86

Hi, I'm planning on buying your asset and will primarily be using it for mobile games. I notice that in your old reply you mentioned that its not very optimized yet for mobile.

How is it now, can it be used on mobile without any performance issues, or should I go for your polygon arsenal kit?

Thanks

42. Archanor

Archanor

@farazk86 It's definitely better than before, but the textures could bloat your app depending on how many effects you use. I suggest you try it out. If you have any problems, I can give you tips on how to optimize further or process a refund.

I've had feedback that it runs fine on mobile, but it depends on how you use it. Some effects are bigger and more complex than others.

43. farazk86

farazk86

Thanks for replying, so for someone who primarily focuses mobile, would the polygon arsenal perform better on mobile devices?

Thanks

44. Archanor

Archanor

@farazk86 There's a lot of variables to consider, so I made a small summary (sorry if it's messy):

Polygon Arsenal has better feedback on working well for mobile as it's focused on using a handful of materials and almost no textures for most of the effects. Note that it's also more dependant on having Bloom enabled to get the overall glowy look.

Sci-Fi Arsenal uses more additive materials for the effects and glows, so it doesn't rely on Bloom. Some of the "smokier" explosions can use a lot of additive particles at once, creating overdraw, which isn't optimal for mobile. This asset might also fit for several type of game aesthetics compared to Polygon, but doesn't always look great on games that have very bright backgrounds.

Polygon Arsenal has a total of 137 kb of textures compared to 60 mb of textures for Sci-Fi Arsenal.

Overall, I think Polygon Arsenal would be the way to go. It would also be faster to optimize with mobile materials if needed, as there's not that a lot of materials being used.

Here's a mobile game running Polygon Arsenal with Bloom enabled: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GamixStudios.DSS&hl=en

farazk86 likes this.
  45. dp99

dp99

Hi, do you think I can make this work in VR? (oculus rift)
    or is it full of post-processing and volumetric lighting
    or maybe some of it would work... your thoughts?

46. Archanor

Archanor

@dp99 I don't think VR should be a problem. Sci-Fi Arsenal does not rely on post-processing or custom shaders. I also don't think anything in the asset classifies as volumetric lighting.

I would suggest that you buy and try it out, then get in touch if you have any problems.

I know Spartaga (VR game) has used my Pixel Arsenal and Hyperbit Arsenal which are both similar to this pack.

47. AppBite

AppBite

Anyone else have the projectiles from the scifi_projectiles scene vanish 1/2 way across the room when using URP?

I'm already using this asset in our game HexT under the the standard renderer and its great, I modified the RingMissile to fire a Hex shape and it looks cool when blowing up our Hex shaped tiles in game.

I noticed this asset mentioned URP support and I'd been wanting to check URP out, so this may well be an obvious URP issue than anything with the asset. What happens is in the Game view the projectiles travel towards the far wall, but not exactly towards where I clicked, and then vanish well before reaching the wall (about 1/2 way). But the impact effect goes off correctly in the place I clicked with the mouse, and at the right time. In the Scene view I can see the particle traveling the straight line to the target location, but that's not what my eyes are seeing in the Game view. eg) if I click on the pipe at the top of the wall the game view shows the particle heading towards about the middle of the screen. It doesn't appear to arc, but I turned gravity to 0 anyway, no change. The RocketMissiles do hit the right target location.

Is this an "oh obviously you do <this> under URP" for anyone?

Thanks,
    Scott

48. Archanor

Archanor

@AppBite Oof. I have to say that nothing is really obvious with URP.

With any effects disappearing I would try to enable Depth Textures on the camera, or check my FAQ on other visual problems: https://archanor.com/support.html

49. DrJBN

DrJBN

I bought your sci-fi arsenal yesterday- beautiful work, very intuitive to use. I do have a question that you might be able to answer. I'm using your bluesharpmissile, which has a pointlight attached. I reference the missile by dropping it in a global gameobject slot in my missile script. Then, I create 5 instances of it to store in an array. I fire the missiles looping through the array and firing one at a time, unless the next one to fire is already on the screen. The first first time, the light works great (i.e., first 5 missiles light the scene). After the missile hits something, I disable its renderer and render an explosion, then I disable both (setactive = false). When the missile is fired again, I just reset it transform to the gun, turn it back on (setactive=true), and turn its renderer back on, and the script moves it toward its target. The missile fires and moves and looks great- but I don't get the pointlight after the first time using it. Odd thing is, the Hierarchy view shows the pointlight to be active (i.e., the text is not greyed) on the active missile, and the editor shows the light is correctly placed, but it has no impact on the scene. Any ideas? (using standard pipeline)

50. Archanor

Archanor

@DrJBN Hmm. Not sure what's going on with that. For newer assets I add light effects into the particle effects instead of separate point lights so it's more tied together.

It could be the light fadeout script changing the explosion's light intensity to 0. Maybe that value is not reset when it's respawned?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021