Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Scene View Bookmarks - quick scene view navigation tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by superpig, Sep 28, 2014.

1. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

KeyArt.png

Scene View Bookmarks is now available from the Asset Store!

Latest version v1.2 adds support for hotkeys and a way to quickly locate bookmark assets via the Bookmarks button itself

Scene View Bookmarks lets you 'bookmark' certain places within the scene view so you can easily return to them later. Use it to quickly jump from one end of your level to the other, or to check your beauty shots are still all lined up, or whatever you like!

Check out the trailer video!

Features so far include:
    • Extremely fast workflow: two clicks to jump to any bookmark in the scene
    • Stores position, rotation, zoom, orthographic/perspective, and 2D Mode settings
    • Choose which aspects of the camera the bookmark should affect - e.g. have a bookmark which sets an isometric view at the right height/angle, but without changing position
    • Built around a custom bookmark asset type - edit, rename, move and share bookmarks like any other asset
    • Creating and working with bookmarks never changes your scene file in any way, and there's no impact on your build size
    • Hotkey support - assign a key combination to a bookmark and then hit it to jump there
    • Submenu support for bookmarks - group related bookmarks together for ease of use
    • Splitting your scene in two and want to bring some bookmarks with you? Bookmarks can be transferred between scenes, no problem
    • Or, if all your scenes have the same key locations, make global bookmarks that are available in any scene.
    • Deep Unity integration - if you didn't know it was a plugin, you'd assume it was built into the engine!
    • Clean and simple API for creating and using Bookmark assets from your own editor scripts
    • Very lightweight package: just one DLL to drop into your Editor folder.
    • Works with Unity Free

Check it out and let me know what you think! Any feature requests or support issues, post 'em here.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. crag

crag

Sounds promising! Take a look at @djweinbaum 's WarpPoints. I realize there are some major differences but maybe useful to do a comparison for potential features.

One request I might make is if you are building a new similar project and want to borrow from the original project's bookmarks, could you export a data file for those bookmarks that could be read in the new project? (aka "transfer between projects") Maybe an xml export/import?

Looking forward to its release, nice work! I like the grouping feature and SVN consideration.

3. superpig

superpig

Thanks crag! I'll take a look at WarpPoints.

Exporting bookmarks to share between projects should be super easy already - they're just assets in your project, so you can select them in the project window and export a .unitypackage file, just like exporting any other asset. Do you think XML import/export would be useful above and beyond that? Bear in mind that you can see and edit all the values stored in a bookmark (position, rotation, zoom, etc) in the Inspector.

4. superpig

superpig

I've updated the first post with a link to a trailer video. Let me know what you think! (And my apologies for the sound quality, I don't have a good mic to hand...)

5. crag

crag

Nah, after reading your response and watching the video, its foogin' great! You have a price point in mind?

6. superpig

superpig

I'm planning to launch at $5.

7. crag

crag

Sounds good to me... I'm in.

8. superpig

superpig

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Buying now. It's essential, and you wonder why it's not already part of Unity. It's like post-it notes in a way, so simple yet you wonder why nobody ever did it before. In any case, it's a part of our workflow as of now :)

10. superpig

superpig

BTW, the current version in the store requires Unity 4.5.4, but I've just submitted an update which will should allow you to use the package with 4.3.0 or later. It'll be out just as soon as the Asset Store team review it.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Good stuff

12. superpig

superpig

v1.1 is out - Unity 4.3.0 or later is now supported.

13. CptCommander

CptCommander

Hey! This looks like a really nice add-on. I'm buying it right now. I was immidiately thinking; any chance there will be hotkey support in the future? Hopping view would be only one punch away :)

14. superpig

superpig

Done. It's a little awkward at times because there's no way to tell Unity to ignore the keypress, so if you set up a bookmark to have the same hotkey as a built-in Unity function, then both will happen when you press the key (or sometimes Unity will beep at you). But it works very smoothly for, e.g. the function keys. Still need to test it on OS X but I think it should work smoothly enough.

I've also added the ability to quickly find bookmark assets: hold Ctrl when you click the Bookmarks button, and then when you pick a bookmark from the list it will ping the bookmark asset in the Project view, instead of activating the bookmark.

Any more feature requests for v1.2? :)

15. superpig

superpig

v1.2 has been submitted to the Asset Store - adding hotkey support, as well as a faster way for locating bookmark assets by holding Ctrl when you click the Bookmarks button. Should be out soon...

16. superpig

superpig

v1.2 is out!

17. lundon

lundon

I'm getting the following error message with V1.2:
    ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: startIndex
    System.String.Substring (Int32 startIndex) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:333)
    Tbrf.SceneViewBookmarks.HotkeyDrawer.OnGUI (Rect position, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label)
    UnityEditor.PropertyDrawer.OnGUISafe (Rect position, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/ScriptAttributeGUI/PropertyDrawer.cs:23)
    UnityEditor.PropertyHandler.OnGUI (Rect position, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, Boolean includeChildren) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/ScriptAttributeGUI/PropertyHandler.cs:134)
    UnityEditor.PropertyHandler.OnGUILayout (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/ScriptAttributeGUI/PropertyHandler.cs:195)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:5989)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:5971)
    Tbrf.SceneViewBookmarks.BookmarkEditor.OnInspectorGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean forceDirty, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect, Boolean eyeDropperDirty) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1124)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

18. superpig

superpig

Oops! Thanks for the report. I've fixed it and submitted an update to the store - I'll contact you via PM with a link to a fresh copy.

If anyone else wants it while waiting for the Asset Store to process the update, just PM me with your invoice number.

19. superpig

superpig

v1.21 is out, fixing the bug with the Inspector that crept into v1.2. Sorry for the inconvenience!

20. IFL

IFL

My move/translate/scale gizmos are abnormally miniscule on the left side of the viewport in 4.6.0f3 after importing this package... Tried in multiple projects, including an empty...
    SceneViewBookmarks_Wat.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  21. superpig

superpig

Thanks, I'll take a look at what's going on.

IFL likes this.
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Uh, do we have to insert bacon for these fixes?

superpig and IFL like this.
  23. coshea

coshea

Hi

I just upgraded to 4.6 from 4.5.x and tweeted that a unity bug was hiding my transform gizmos
    https://twitter.com/chrisoshea/status/543346878713450496

I only realised it was this plugin when I resized my Unity window. When the 'Bookmarks' button in the editor is showing, the gizmos go wrong. When you resize the window so that there isn't enough space for the bookmarks button, the gizmos are ok. See images. I've just deleted this plugin for now, but sadly lost an hour of pulling my hair out :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 11.05.22.png Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 11.05.32.png

24. superpig

superpig

Sorry about this, folks! I think I've found the problem. Just need to test it on a few more versions of Unity and then I'll submit an update to the Asset Store.

(update: all fixed for Unity 4.3 and Unity 4.6 by the looks of things - just need to fix it for Unity 5 beta now)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  25. superpig

superpig

v1.31 has been submitted to the Asset Store, which should fix this issue - tested in 4.3.0, 4.6.1, and 5.0b17.

26. superpig

superpig

Looks like 1.31 got released a couple of weeks ago and nobody told me :)

Let me know if you still have any problems with your transform gizmos in this version.

27. cybervaldez

cybervaldez

Hi is it possible to set the game view camera to a certain bookmark via script? with the same smooth animation shown in your trailer? It will be a super cool feature to add if that's possible.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  28. superpig

superpig

Well, my focus is on the scene view camera only at the moment, as there are already a number of solutions to camera animation in the game view (from various Asset Store solutions to Unity's built-in animation system).

That said, I can probably look at restructuring things a little bit, so that people who want to use SV Bookmarks for both scene view and game view controls can do so. I'll put it on the list...

cybervaldez likes this.
  29. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, I've just purchased and installed scene view bookmarks, and right after installing it, it reduced scene views fly speed (right mouse hold + W A S D) drastically. It slows down more when flying faster in the scene. FPS reduces to about 0.5fps or even lower if I insist on moving.

Unity 4.6.1p3, windows phone build target.

Edit: And yes, I tested restarting unity, refreshing layout, etc. Then uninstalled it and problem was gone.

30. superpig

superpig

Interesting! Thanks, I'll see if I can reproduce the problem on my end.

31. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

same here, dramatically lowered my scene view and I cannot select objects when clicking. It will select but some other object in the scene. Unity 4.6.1p5 win7

32. onimitch

onimitch

Just bought the plugin but unfortunately getting some errors. I'm using Unity 5.0.0f4.

These errors keep spamming and nothing shows in the Unity window:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    Tbrf.SceneViewBookmarks.BookmarksMenu.PopGUIClips (Int32 count)
    Tbrf.SceneViewBookmarks.BookmarksMenu.OnSceneGuiDelegate (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1981)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1335)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1173)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

33. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

When it will work for U5?

34. cavila

cavila

I'm also having issues with unity 5. It would also be great if this asset works inside /Plugins/Editor.

35. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Knock Knock Knock - superpig!

36. superpig

superpig

Sorry for the delay. I'm still trying to get the integration into the Scene View toolbar to work without crashing under 5... I'll let you all know as soon as I have something.

cavila likes this.
  37. OnePxl

OnePxl

How about a hotfix that works just from the menu, and bring back the toolbar injection when you have a fix?

38. superpig

superpig

Unfortunately Unity doesn't support me dynamically populating a main menu with the bookmark entries. I could put it into a separate editor window that you dock somewhere useful, though, if that would work for you guys?

39. OnePxl

OnePxl

Would work for me, also some API, so I can add that functionality to my own custom editor window.

40. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Yes plz!

Copy that!

41. superpig

superpig

Well this is weird...

Can you guys confirm exactly which Unity version you're using, and whether you're using it on Windows or OSX?

42. superpig

superpig

It looks to me like SV Bookmarks is working fine on Windows in Unity 5.0.1f1, but the same project on OSX is breaking. Is anyone seeing anything that doesn't fit with that?

43. punk

punk

Hey super pig,

I just bought this, I'm using the latest version of unity pro and the product DOES work with no errors and I think will be really useful, BUT when i add this too my project, I can no longer select objects in the scene view, unless I'm missing something :)

On another subject is there any good reason why you don't include the source code? it's not a massive deal as its a very small utility, but if would be nice to have the option to extend it in the future.

Cheers
    Taz

44. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I'm on Unity 5.0.1f1 and PC

I think including the source does not fix the issues and the most wouldn't be able to fix it anyway.

Perhaps another cool feature would be move the main cam with editor cam.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. if (Camera.main == null)
    3.   {
    4.   return;
    5.   }
    6. if (_sceneCamera == null)
    7.   {
    8.     if (Camera.current == null || Camera.current.name != "SceneCamera")
    9.     {
    10.       return;
    11.     }
    12.   _sceneCamera = Camera.current;
    13.   }
    15.  Camera.main.transform.position = _sceneCamera.transform.position;
    16.  Camera.main.transform.rotation = _sceneCamera.transform.rotation;

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  45. superpig

superpig

And it's not working for you? I've not been able to reproduce the problem :( Any chance you could file a Unity bug (with your project attached) and let me know the bug number?

46. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

PC Win7/64 U5.0.1f1
    While "Scene View Bookmarks" is installed, it's not possible to select any objects in scene view via mouse. There is nothing special to explain.

The same bug as HeadTrip reported.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...ene-view-navigation-tool.271064/#post-1937671

I think your hooking the left mouse click with your SceneViewBookmarks.dll but you didn't send the mouse clicks forward forward to unity including the windows handle. The right mouse click works fine in the scene view.

I will upload a bug report.

Further after "Scene View Bookmarks" is installed the scene view window change its color to light gray.
    Untitled-1.gif

Edit: hmm.. If I recreate a new project it seems to work while SVB is the only one on the hierarchy. I will add the other stuff step by step check when it fails.

47. superpig

superpig

Ahh, the problem is object selection. OK, I was looking at a different issue where the entire Scene View broke. I'll work on reproducing this behaviour.

48. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

I found the issue that is the reason for the "none selectable objects".
    Strange but, change between Gama and Linear.

In Gama all works fine.. In Linear the scene view window frame becomes lite gray and "none selectable objects".

49. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

* Another cool feature would be to auto save the scene cam position on "save a scene". SVB should use the same name as the scene and append _default. When a scene is loaded SVB should load the scenexx_default.asset.

It's very painfully if a new scene is loaded and scene cam stays at it's old position.

50. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Any news about?