Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Scene Navigator - Your Tool for Navigating your Scene quickly

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roykoma, Feb 17, 2020.

1. roykoma

roykoma

Scene Navigator is your tool for navigating your scene quickly and saving different views for quick access

Buy it on the AssetStore

Support On Discord

Are you tired of having to go back and forth in your scene, slowly moving your scene camera just to move right back a few seconds later? You have different areas in your scene that you have to go to often? Then this is the asset for you!

Save and restore the state of your scene camera at any point

Features:
    • Save your current scene view at any point
    • Create paths for a folder like structure, so you know where you find what view
    • Restore your scene view with just one click
    • Create views for multiple scenes and switch between them fast by restoring views.

Buy it on the AssetStore

If you find any bugs or need any help please don't hesitate to notify me about it here or on discord (link above).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    EN_Games likes this.
  2. roykoma

roykoma

There are still some free vouchers available if you are interested and willing to write an honest review. Just hit me up with a pm or write here!

Gua likes this.
  3. Gua

Gua

So 2018.4.* isn't supported by Scene Navigator?

4. roykoma

roykoma

Hi there,

There should be no problem using it in 2018.4, but I don't think I uploaded it using a 2018.x version, so the assetstore may tell you otherwise.

Generally I want to support everything from 2017 LTS forward.

If you have any trouble using my assets with one of those versions, please send me you invoice number per direct message and I will see to it that you get a working version asap.

Kind Regards,
    Roy

5. Gua

Gua

If you do take feature requests. There's a number of features I would love to see, to reduce a number of clicks I need to do to use it.

1. I would like an option to open Scene Navigator window with keyboard shortcut.
    2. When I open Scene Navigator widow, I would like for it to automatically open a folder with views that are taken from a scene that is currently loaded.
    3. I would like to have an option, that would automatically close scene view window when I click on a specific view.

6. roykoma

roykoma

Those are great suggestions and I'll be happy to implement them. Point 2 and 3 I would probably implement as an option than can be toggled (either globally or on a per-view-basis)
    I am having a hard time thinking of a shortcut that wouldn't probably interfere with other assets or unity itself though. What would your suggestion be here?

7. Gua

Gua

Before buying Scene Navigator. I've bought a competitor plugin called Snapcam. Unfortinaly it is super buggy on Unity 2018.4 so I had to stop using it. That plugin found a clever shortcut for window opening. Basically when your scene view is in focus, hitting S key would open plugin window. I would love if you used same approach. It's very convenient and it doesn't conflict with unity.

8. roykoma

roykoma

Wouldn't this try to open up the window every time you try to move in the scene view using WASD? Maybe I'll do something like ALT + S or something and make it so this shortcut can be disabled by the user.

I'll see if I can find some time tomorrow to make those changes, if not you can probably expect them to be done next weekend.

9. Gua

Gua

It should be codded to trigger only when S is pressed and scene view is in the focus, so things like S+RMB, CTRL+S etc. wouldn't trigger it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  10. Gua

Gua

Any news on new version with those improvements?

11. roykoma

roykoma

Hey,

sorry for the delay. I sadly couldn't find any time yet to work on it as a family member moved house, but I'll start working on it later today. As the changes aren't big I suspect I can push an updated version to the assetstore tomorrow evening.

12. roykoma

roykoma

@Gua I finished implementing your feature requests! I sent you the version per direct message.

Changes:
    • Pressing S with the Scene View (or the Scene Navigator window) in focus will open/close the EditorWindow
    • On top of the Scene Navigator window you can toggle "Try Open Scene Folder". If active the plugin will try to open the hierarchically topmost folder that contains views of the current scene.
    • Rightclicking any view gives you an option "Close Overview On Click". When checked, the Scene Navigator window will close when that view is selected inside of the EditorWindow (clicking on it's image). That option can also be enabled when creating a view.
    @Gua For the second feature I'd love to get some feedback from you in regards of how it work now, and if you think this is the way it should work (Or if you have a suggestion on how to make it work better), before I push this version to the assetstore. I'll be waiting on your feedback here.

Kind Regards
    Roy

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  13. Gua

Gua

@roykoma,

Hi. Can you tell me location of file that holds all those "snapshots"? I want to add that file to version control system. Cause I've already lost them twice.

14. Gua

Gua

So from my understanding that info is located inside SceneNavigator.asset file. I that info is kinda there.

But views array is empty

But when I checked project to new PC and allowed unity to recreate Library folder. Scene navigator doesn't display any snapshots.

How can I restore my snapshots?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  15. Gua

Gua

I've managed to fix this issue by reverting all changes to file in my version control system. But this is not the first time I've encountered this issue. First time when I encountered it, I recreated all my snapshots manually.

Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have time for experiments to find how to reproduce this issue with 100% success rate. Maybe I'll be able to find the time later.