Search Unity

[RELEASED] RPG Map Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Nov 6, 2014.

1. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Dayero,

Thanks for your feedback. I have add most of your ideas in my TODO list and I will try to include them for next release.
    About naming tilesets, the problem is the space and design changes to show the full name in the InGame Editor.

I did a patrol behavior that could be used as well, with some modifications, in case you want to try it.
    https://creativespore.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/moving-platforms-patrol/

2. dayero

dayero

I am lookoing forward to it :)

Personally, i never use the ingame editor. If space is a problem, i could live with very short names. "A1_out" or "Trees" is already way way better than "F".

I am not working on AI right now, but when I do i will take a look at your patrol script.

3. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Ok, I will think about this and try to find a good solution.

4. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I have modified the TeleporterBehaviour.cs script to allow teleporting by just entering on the teleporter collider activating the
    option TeleportOnEnter ( unchecked by default )
    It will be available in next update but here you can download it if you need it:
    TeleporterBehaviour.cs

5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hey all, I just stumbled across this, and I"m thinking about getting it, both for myself (I have an idea for an educational RPG) and for my younger son (anything to get him being creative and learning some skills!).

But I see the overview video linked from the Asset Store page is for an old version. I haven't read this whole thread, but I read the last couple of pages, and see that somebody got pretty stuck trying to follow it. Is there an updated overview anywhere?

(Note: I did see the several topic-specific videos, but we really need a "how to get started with RPG Map Editor" thing at this point.)

I did try the WebGL demo, but couldn't get it to work as the instructions below seemed to say it should. But I'm assuming (hoping) that the problems were just because of input limitations in WebGL. Could be that if we get the asset and run it locally, everything will be clear enough after a bit of poking around...

But an overview to get us started sure would be nice!

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Oh, sorry, one other question: my game will need to be turn-based, like any Roguelike. How much pain is that going to cause me with RPG Map Editor?

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Next question: What is an AutoTileMap? The manual explains (p. 11) how to create one, but nowhere does it explain what an AutoTileMap is, or why I would want one.

Maybe this is Rpg Maker terminology, but I've never used that. Can somebody give me a clue?

8. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,

I have made a video so you can see how to get started with the tool. It's really easy to create a map, add a basic player controller and an enemy spawner. You have the basic prefabs like vehicles, player pixel perfect camera, enemies or enemy spawn generators.
    The code is clean and commented and I give support if you need help with something.
    Check the video here:

9. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

An autotilemap contains the map of tiles and colliders information of those tiles.
    About your other question, making a turn-based game is perfectly possible. I was doing a game turn based of an archaeologist looking for treasures in the desert and I had no problems at all.

JoeStrout likes this.
  10. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Thanks! That does help.

I'm attempting to use the PlayerTouch prefab, but I noticed that occasionally, this happens:

I touched (in the editor, with the mouse, though I wouldn't expect that to matter) a point on the map, and the player walked over there, but then started walking back and forth like this. This continues indefinitely, until I touch somewhere else.

I'm not super worried about it; I doubt it will be all that hard to fix. But I thought you'd want to know!

11. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It happens when the touch position is not reachable.
    Probably because you are painting a blocked tile when touching the map.
    Try disabling Show Map Editor On Play ( selecting the tilemap, then Settings )
    I am working on improving the path finding movement anyway for next version.

12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

What is the grid scale, exactly? I was expecting 1 unit in the world to be 1 grid space, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all. Experimentally it appears to be some funny number... something like 0.323 units per grid cell.

(I want to snap to even grid positions, and this is giving me grief.)

13. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No, this was with the editor turned off, and the area touched is empty grass, as you can see in the screenshot.

I imagine it's something like: overshooting the target position a little bit, then turning the other way, and overshooting it again. A simple fix would be to define it a certain range as "close enough," and quit walking once that is reached.

Sounds good; I'm seeing other oddities too... it has a hard time getting through narrow passages, and sometimes turns the wrong way before turning the correct direction at the start of a walk.

14. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Another question: why are we using 3D physics instead of 2D physics? (Looking at how the Player prefab triggers the Teleporter, for example.)

15. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Happy Easter! Here's a little something my younger son and I threw together this morning.

I wrote the egg code (pick-up, counting, and UI output); my son hid all the eggs. Can you find all 25?

Try it here: http://stroutandsons.com/halfbaked/EggHunt/

Happy Easter!
    - Joe

P.S. Still hoping for answers to my questions above! :)

CreativeSpore and Steve-Tack like this.
  16. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

How can I switch maps without loading a different scene?

I want to make a town with lots of enterable houses and caves and such. But I don't want to switch scenes, since I'm also going to have a ton of game objects with complex state — villagers going about their business, etc. Yes, I could mark them DontDestroyOnLoad, but that really feels like the painful route.

I had hoped I could just have all the maps in once scene, and disable/enable them as needed. For example, initially only the town map would be enabled; then as we enter a house, I would disable the town group (a game object that includes the map and town items/characters), and enable the house group (containing the house map and objects). Then upon exiting, I do the reverse. No need to serialize everything and write it to disk, nor do I have to call DontDestroyOnLoad on every item in the (possibly deep) object hierarchy.

But, alas! I'm having real trouble getting this to work, because it appears that AutoTileMap is designed to be a singleton. Weird stuff happens when I have more than one in the scene.

Before I delve deep into the bowels of this thing trying to change that, has anybody else already figured out how to do this? @CreativeSpore, any thoughts on quickly/efficiently switching maps within a scene?

17. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Will there be a season pass? I want to be sure to get all the DLC.

JoeStrout likes this.
  18. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Is this a good way to make caves?

I'm still quite new to Mack's tile set, and the whole orthographic-tile approach in general. I'd like to make some underground caves and caverns. This is the best I could come up with so far. It looks a little funny to my eyes, but maybe I've just been staring at it too long...

What do you more experienced folk think? Am I misusing the tiles? Are there different ones that would serve better for this purpose?

EDIT: I just spotted at least two mistakes: the black area right above our hero's head in the second image is missing two of the drop-down walls. In practice I would procedurally generate these levels, so hopefully not make such newbie errors!

19. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,

I missed your posts because it looks like the notification system by email is not working these days.

I will check this issue with path finding. What it happens sometimes could be because I use coroutines to calculate the path. The coroutine is working in parallel so the game is not frozen, but meanwhile, the entity starts walking in some direction. When the coroutine is over and the path is calculated, it starts walking through the new calculated path.
    This is faster if the path is easy to calculate, but for a complex path it happens the player is moving through the old calculated path for a while until the new path is found.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  20. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You can use either 2D or 3D, it easy to change the components for the 2D version. I just choose 3D because it's faster in performance and precision than 2D. I have worked with both and it's always better using 3D.

21. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Cool game! It's easy using the balloon, but I could only find 23 eggs ( 2 are missing. Ask you son if he ate the other 2 :p )

22. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

The autotilemap is a singleton, but you can change the map data to load a different map each time. The map data is saved in disk like an asset. The create map data button only appears if you remove the Map Data, but you could just create first the world map with the size you want, then select the map asset in the project view and press Ctrl+D to create a copy. Go to the autotilemap object, and select the new copied map data and just clear everything and start painting the house in the right place. Selecting the different map data asset you can draw different map layers like underground, for example, or house interior.
    For the map entity group for each map asset. You can give the parent object the same name as the map asset like, BlueCastle.asset and "BlueCastle" gameobject, so later by scripting you can create a script similar to this.

Code (CSharp):
    2. public static void ChangeMapArea( AutoTileMapData newMapData )
    3. {
    4.     GameObject prevMapNode = GameObject.Find(AutoTileMap.Instance.MapData.name); // find an object with name the current map data name
    5.     prevMapNode.SetActive(false);
    6.     AutoTileMap.Instance.MapData = newMapData;
    7.     GameObject mapNode = GameObject.Find(AutoTileMap.Instance.MapData.name); // find an object with name the new map data name
    8.     mapNode.SetActive(true);
    9. }
    This will change the map data, loading the new area, but also activating the node group with the new map name, and disabling the previous.

I hope this works for you.

About transitions inside the same area, you can do that. Just place the target object in the same area and leave the TargetSceneName empty.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    JoeStrout likes this.
  23. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You are doing it right. Just don't forget to draw all the walls ;)

24. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Thought I'd share the basic shell for a procedural dungeon generator.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.Events;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor;
    6. public class DungeonGen : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     public int solidTile = 112;
    8.     public int floorTile = 146;
    9.     public int wallTile = 120;
    11.     public int groundLayer = 0;
    12.     public int overlayLayer = 1;
    14.     AutoTileMap map;
    16.     void Start() {
    17.         map = GetComponent<AutoTileMap>();
    18.         Generate();
    19.     }
    21.     void Generate() {
    22.         map.ClearMap();
    24.         for (int i = 0; i < map.MapTileWidth; i++) {
    25.             for (int j = 0; j < map.MapTileHeight; j++) {
    26.                 map.SetAutoTile(i, j, solidTile, groundLayer, false);
    28.             }
    29.         }
    31.         Dig(45, 48, 10, 6);
    33.         AddWalls();
    35.         map.RefreshAllTiles();
    36.         map.RefreshMinimapTexture();
    37.         map.UpdateChunks();
    38.     }
    40.     void Dig(int left, int top, int width, int height) {
    41.         for (int i = left; i <= left+width; i++) {
    42.             for (int j = top; j <= top+height; j++) {
    43.                 map.SetAutoTile(i, j, floorTile, groundLayer, false);
    44.             }
    45.         }      
    46.     }
    48.     void AddWalls() {
    49.         for (int i = 0; i < map.MapTileWidth-1; i++) {
    50.             for (int j = 0; j < map.MapTileHeight; j++) {
    51.                 if (map.GetAutoTile(i, j, groundLayer).Id != solidTile) continue;
    52.                 int below = map.GetAutoTile(i, j+1, groundLayer).Id;
    53.                 if (below != solidTile && below != wallTile) map.SetAutoTile(i, j, wallTile, groundLayer, false);              
    54.             }
    55.         }
    57.     }
    59. }
    If you just attach this to an AutoTileMap and run, the result looks like this.

So, sure, it's not a very interesting dungeon, but it's a start — the rest is a simple matter of programming!

CreativeSpore likes this.
  25. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I have found the problem. Use this fixed script to fix the issue:
    TouchFollowBehaviour.cs

Overwrite this script with the one located at "\CreativeSpore\RpgMapEditor\Samples\Scripts"

JoeStrout likes this.
  26. zenGarden

zenGarden

Can we make different ennemies with their own walking speed and own attacks like fireball or melee attacks ? It is easy to add our own AI C# code doing that to the plugin template ?
    Can we use 8 directions sprites for player and ennemies ? It is supported.

Still no plan to support any characters sizes ? i want a different player size and big ogre characters size.

27. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

There is support for any character size.
    Right now you can use an XP character sheet: 4x4 frames, but with any texture size
    Or use a VX character sheet: 3x4 frames, also with any texture size
    I have in my TODO list adding support for custom characters sheets but right now this is only supporting VX and XP character sheets.
    It is not supporting 8 directions of more than walking and idle (in case of XP) animations, but it should be easy to change.
    You can add more sprite frames to the m_spriteFrames list in the inspector and increase the eDir to include the diagonals.
    If you need help with this, let me know and I will help you.

28. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is good , but any sheet size would allow us to use one texture sheet only containing all animations.
    Do you plan using any sheet characters ? character sheet not using grids but any individual sprite size for some animation ? Or do you think it is becoming too tricy and complexifying things even in user side.

So this is possible and very easy to do ?

About level tile sizes, can we use any tiles sizes ? from 16*16 to 512*512? Or it is limited and we must split some 256*256 in multiple 32*32 tiles ?

Does it has encrypted save/load or it is better to buy a dedicaced plugin ? (i would like to save on checkpoints , and able to save inventory , level up and unlocked skills, also story advancements)

About AI, it is easy to add C# code like make them randomly walking and attack when the player is in agro distance ?
    Or add ennemies shooting fireballs ? It is easy to add our own C# code for ennemies to have them do specific attacks or cast spells ?

29. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I see what you want. You can manually create a CharAnimationController. What I do automatically is split the texture and create the Sprites. You can avoid this by removing the CreateSpriteFrames() call in the Awake method.
    Then add your frames directly (they need to be 3 frames per animation or change the value returned by AnimFrames)
    And add the new diagonal directions at the end of eDir enumarator.
    To add more animations you can create another enumerator like eAnimType and in GetCurrentSprite add a new parameter eAnimType anime:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public Sprite GetCurrentSprite( eDir dir, eAnimType anim )
    3. {
    4.     if( !IsAnimated && m_charsetType == eCharSetType.RPG_Maker_XP )
    5.         return m_spriteXpIdleFrames[(int)dir];
    6.     else
    7.         return m_spriteFrames[(int)( System.Enum.GetValues(typeof(eParameterType)).Length * AnimFrames * (int)anim + (int)dir * AnimFrames + CurrentFrame)];
    8. }

zenGarden likes this.
  30. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

About the tile size, you can use any kind of tile size. I have only tested square tile sizes n*n not n*m.
    You also need to create the tileset atlas following the right format. For example, to create a Normal tileset ( a normal tileset is a tileset without autotiling ) the texture should be 16x16 tiles. Depending on the tile size, the texture size would be different. It is better explained in the manual.

The map is saved in an asset but you can export and import the map in xml format, but it is not encrypted.

About the enemy AI. The enemy AI behaviour includes path finding, sight distance and sight line blocked by areas with Wall type collision. But it is not implemented casting spells or anything like that.
    Only the player have implemented shooting proyectiles and there is a damage system.

31. zenGarden

zenGarden

Do you plan to extend the plugin to include 4 and full 8 directions for player and ennemies out of the box ?

It was about game regular save and not level map save and character with ennemies saving.
    I guess i'll have to create myself a game save system (saving player life, player XP, player skills , player invenroty objects, and story progress for example).

So we can take directly the AI class and make multiple versions with tehir own behaviour and their own range or melee attacks, it is easy to modify ?

32. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, I have plans to improve the Character Animation Controller to add more animations and now I have added also support for 8 directions.

About saving user data, you can modify the class AutoTileMapSerializeData to include your own user data class. Remember add the [System.Serializable] above the class so the class is serialized and use public members, like the class TileLayer.

The AI is easy to modify and the code is well commented. You can inherit the script FollowerAI or create another script to shoot bullets to the player when it's closed to him.

33. zenGarden

zenGarden

Great.

Good to know, because i need to make unique ennemies very different in terms of behaviour and attacks or helping summons and minions.

34. mrm83

mrm83

For your own roguelike game, are you using either this or the super tile editor or is it a totally different system?

Specifically, the pathfinding and dynamic nav updates.

35. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

For the map I am using Super Tilemap Editor and for the framework I started from some RPG Map Editor framework components, like the character animator, health system, FollowerAI, projectiles, etc
    But I am not using any pathfinding neither nav. I am using a trick to avoid obstacles. Basically if there is a wall in the moving direction, I change the direction to follow the wall, and if the sight of the player is lost, the monster keeps moving to the last player location.

36. mrm83

mrm83

So is the tile editing more superior in super tilemap over rpg editor?

I need a tilemap editor and I like what super tilemap offers. But I also need a pathfinding solution which i like from rpg maker. hard choice on what to get..

37. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It depends on what game you want to create.
    There is some things I like in RPG Map Editor tilemaps. You can create maps like in RPG Maker and it's really easy and simple to edit. But because of that, it has limitations if you want to use it for a platformer game, for example.
    A thing I like in the collision system or RPG Mape Editor is you can paint a bridge tile over the water to walk over it. In Super Tilemap Editor is not possible in an easy way, the bridge tile is not removing collisions of tiles under it.

If you can tell me a little bit about what game you are developing, maybe I can help you better to choose.

38. mrm83

mrm83

The game is a top down 2d rpg. There will be items on the map for the user to interact with, obstacles that blocks the user, enemies that will hunt the player when in range.

The tiles will need to be updated via code. ie: the current tile is a rock, if i destroy it it becomes grass and free for movement. The tile will then redraw to look good.

So more or less a legend of zelda kind of game.

39. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

The RPG Map Editor includes the behaviour to follow a player when he/she is in range and if sight is not blocked by a wall.
    You have the vehicles as an example of items you can interact with, so you can use them as an example to create a different object like a chest or a switch.
    For obstacles, you can use a tile with wall collision, and remove it by using a script. For example a bomb can check when it explodes the tiles around it and change the tiles with rocks to be removed ( the rock can be placed in the overlay ground layer, and the grass in the ground layer, so you only need to remove the rock ).

40. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

New version of RPG Map Editor 1.4.3 available.

Change log:
    • Added CellSize parameter to the tilemap to change the size of a tile in the scene
    • Added method RpgMapHelper.GetTileCenterPosition
    • Fixed TouchFollowBehaviour to be more precise
    • Added TeleportOnEnter to teleporter to allow teleporting on enter event
    • Added activation key parameter to teleporter and fixed input management
    • Fixed fast player direction change when moving player using path finding
    • Fixed pixel perfect camera according to real camera height
    For next version I will include a new animator DirectionalAnimation for characters with multiple directional animations: 1, 2, 4 and 8 directions.
    upload_2016-5-17_9-55-41.png

41. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I have finished the new animator for directional characters with support for up to 8 directions.
    It will be available soon in next release. You can see an advance in this tutorial video:

Shodan0101 likes this.
  42. zenGarden

zenGarden

Great update.
    Does 8 directions work on NPC also ?

43. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, it works with any kind of gameobject. The animation component is independent of other components.

44. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

45. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

New version of RPG Map Editor v1.5.0 available!

Change log:

• RPG Framework scripts moved to folder "Scripts/RpgFramework"
    • Added new animation controller for characters: Directional Animator with support fo 1, 2, 4 & 8 directions
    • All characters, including vehicles now use the new directional animator
    • Improvements in all character behaviours and AI behaviours
    • Added new AI behaviours: CompanionAI and NPCBasicAI
    • Improved teleporter setup with a new option, link with target, so the target teleported is linked with the source
    • Added a farm scene example with NPCs, animals and vehicles
    • Renamed demo scenes and added scene selector to all of them
    • Added edit collider button to PhysicCharBehaviour

Shodan0101 likes this.
  46. downstroypvp

downstroypvp

Hi!

I have been following this asset for a while and I have a few quetsions about it:

1°) Is it possible to change the way the character move to be tiled-based instead of continuous (like pokemon, FF ...)
    2°) How can we integrate interactive object/ destructable object? Is there any plan to have it in the editor?
    3°) Is there a way to put collision tile that can be toggled off (for example by destructing a wall)
    4°) is there a way to have moving tile (like platform going up and down etc?)

On a more generic note, what are the future plan for this tool, what's the next big things you want to add?

Thanks and keep the good work!

47. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    Thanks for your interest in this tool, I will try to answer your questions below:

1°) Is it possible to change the way the character move to be tiled-based instead of continuous (like pokemon, FF ...)
    Yes, it is not included by default, but I have a parallel project where I created this behaviour and I could send your the script if you want. And probably I will add this behaviour as well in next release.

2°) How can we integrate interactive object/ destructable object? Is there any plan to have it in the editor?
    Right now you have the teleporters for transitions between areas. Using the same behaviour you could easily create a chest, for example (instead teleportation the chest will open), making some modifications.
    To integrate your own interactive objects there is a helper class RpgMapHelper with useful method to get/set a tilemap tile at world position, to create, for example a destructible wall.

3°) Is there a way to put collision tile that can be toggled off (for example by destructing a wall)
    You can modify the collision for a tile, but it would disable it for all tiles of the same type. I would change the tile instead. If you want to break a wall, just change the wall tile for an empty tile and it will also allow moving through the tile area. Using the RpgMapHelper class it is very easy to achieve.

4°) is there a way to have moving tile (like platform going up and down etc?)
    No, for optimization reasons all the tiles are rendered using a single mesh. Creating a gameobject per tile will be a performance killer for big maps. If you want a moving tile you have to create it as a separated gameobject

On a more generic note, what are the future plan for this tool, what's the next big things you want to add?
    I am using my tools to created games and my games to improve my tools, so it will be in continuous change.
    But I don't have a static list for this. I always listen to any request that could be interesting to include, like directional animations, included in last version, or more AI behaviours, taken from a game I am working on,
    and now, the tile based movement.

If you want to be always inform of my progress, check my tweeter: https://twitter.com/CreativeSpore
    Let me know if you have more questions.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  48. IDreamofIndie

IDreamofIndie

Sorry if I have overlooked this. How would I get the Mini Map that is generated and use it for a Radar/Mini Map GUI Image in the corner?

Thank You

49. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there!
    You can access to the minimap texture like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Texture2D minimapTexture = AutoTileMap.Instance.MinimapTexture;

50. lightningGamer

lightningGamer

Hello, Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't see it. If I got your rpg map editor, and your super tilemap editor would they work together? For example would the vehicles and AI pathfinding in the RPG map editor, work with a map that was made using your super tile map editor? Or are the two not compatible?