Search Unity

[RELEASED] RPG Map Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Nov 6, 2014.

1. dayero

dayero

same error in a test project. building worked fine without deleting the library, so i don't have the tiny map problem there. however in the build version map colliders don't work at all. the map is basically like an image.

test project is using the rpg editor 1.3, the other one 1.4.

2. dayero

dayero

ah ok, will do. might take a while though, annoying pesky real life interruption...

3. dayero

dayero

The error is gone. Main project crashes on compile again, test project compiles but colliders are still not working. (they work in the editor)

4. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

The collisions used by the characters is used only to check map collisions.
    You have to add a unity collision to the player, like Box collider and a rigidbody if you have other elements in the map that use Unity collisions and you want them to collide with your character.

5. dayero

dayero

I am not sure what you are saying.

for clarification: the map does not collide. player has a rigidbody and collider (or not) and in both bases collides with the map correctly in editor but not in the executable.

6. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

That's weird. I have made a windows build and it works properly.
    Can you send me your test project to check it?

7. dayero

dayero

here it is:

edit: public download, yeah really smart....sorry :oops:

I deleted all other plugins and compiled again, so you can start my build and then build your own for comparison.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  8. noanoa

noanoa

Is the autotile glitch never going to be fixed?(When you place walls on a map) It was pretty obvious when I first tried the editor and it still is now( just tried the web demo).

9. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

What glitch do you mean? Can you send me a more detailed description about this issue?

10. noanoa

noanoa

Here's the screenshot. Those appear when you place zig-zag walls/roofs
    upload_2015-12-6_13-36-28.png

11. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for the screenshot. I have replicated some of your map in RPG Maker VX and it looks like Walls and roof are not intended to be used as you are using them.
    wallGlitch.png

I just leave my way of managing uncompleted walls because of this effect. The glitch look like a lintel. But you can always close the wall area and place it normally.

wallGlitch2.png wallGlitch3.png
    The roofs doesn't look too bad you use them like in this screenshot, and you don't see lines between columns of roof tiles. But also you can achieve what you want if you draw the tiles in different layers. Just holding shift while drawing, you place the tiles in the layer over the selected one, so you alternating walls and roofs holding or not the shift key, you can achieve this.
    wallGlitch5.png
    I could fix it in the same way as RPG Maker, but it will change the way other people has made maps. Walls and roofs are special and doesn't have all the data for all combinations anyway, so it is going to be ugly for not completed combinations.

I hope this helps you to create your maps and works as well as the tip of the day for editing maps ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    noanoa likes this.
  12. noanoa

noanoa

Thanks for your reply. The layer trick sounds nice. Ideally it would be cool if you can achieve this without having another layer but I guess it would change the way the map looks as you noted.

13. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You are welcome ;)

14. atmuc

atmuc

when i try to build for Android on of sample script cause build error because it uses Editor classes.

after i corrected this i deployed it to my android phone. map does not look like it looks on editor. it looks it zoomed out x8. how can i correct this?

15. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi,
    I have fixed the issue with Android build error and will be available for next release.
    Meanwhile, if anyone else have the issue, just overwrite the file attached(FollowerAI).
    And for the resolution of the map, be sure in the editor you setup the mobile resolution and the game window is not stretched (use MaximizeOnPlay or make it big enough)
    upload_2015-12-15_11-45-15.png

Then press play to see it with the real resolution, use the mouse wheel to set the Zoom you like, pause the game and check the Zoom value of the camera.
    upload_2015-12-15_11-51-59.png

Remember this value, stop the game, and set it back to the camera.

Attached Files:

16. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I have found also another bug with the isometric sorting. It will be fixed for next release as well, but here is the fix.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  17. atmuc

atmuc

when i set maximize on play i get following error;

Invalid editor window UnityEditor.FallbackEditorWindow
    UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout()

when i separate game window from main unity window it worked.

Zoom parameter solved my problem on Android device. Thanks. this time i have problem with working on the stretched game window. in editor it should worked with "using resolution" as the full resolution because i use uGUI for specific resolution. this is a "nice to have" feature request.

i make a UNet Multiplayer RPG. adding "Network Transform" component to player does not work fine. what other parameters should i sync for non local players?

18. atmuc

atmuc

One feature request more; Can you make it Windows Phone and Universal build compatible. There are 4 errors when i try to build it. Thanks.

19. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

What problems do you have using Windows Phone? I have switch the project to Windows Phone 8 and it works properly, but I cannot make a build because I have windows 7 :(
    Paste here what error do you have.

About the UNet, I don't know why it is not working. What is the problem do you have with this?

20. atmuc

atmuc

To solve Windows Phone 8 and Universal problems you need windows 8. you can use trial version on a virtual machine. problems are about serialization. those targets uses different implementation.

You can assume Unet is a remote control for your character controller. normally unet can send transform values like position and rotation. i have to write a code to supply values to your components on your character game object. it is not your mistake. to make characters run on network multiplayer games you need to write an extra code. you can assume that; i will write a script and it will have some properties like int, vector2. i will set them on server and unet will set those values on the client device. when i get new values i will set your components with those values. so i want you to suggest those values belong to your components.

21. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

To solve Windows Phone 8 problems, remove these methods from UtilsSerialize.cs. I am not using them anyway:
    • public static string Zip(string value)
    • public static string UnZip(string value)
    Or overwrite the attached file.

Attached Files:

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

With the new fog system, if we save the game does it saves the fog also ?
    Can we load a map and the previous fog , showing only the discovered areas ?

23. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, the fog is another map layer, like the tile layers, it is saved with the map, and can be reset in case you want a full undiscovered map again.

zenGarden likes this.
  24. zenGarden

zenGarden

Could you provide some Apk to teste on Android Phones ?
    I would be interested to see how performance is compared to Rpg maker MV ?

25. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Sure! This apk was made with last version and Unity 4.6.3f1
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103554271/rpgMapEditorV140.apk

Open the minimap and drag over the minimap to move around, you can paint tiles and player will move to the last pressed position.

zenGarden likes this.
  26. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

New version of RPG Map Editor 1.4.1 now available!
    Changes:
    • Fixed some errors with Android and WebPlayer builds
    • Fixed bug when sorting the sprites according to map position
    • Changed the "Unlit/Transparent" shader to "Sprites/Default" to fix some issues with AssetBundles

JoeStrout likes this.
  27. Thnod

Thnod

Hi!
    I'm trying to create a tileset that is 48x48 (RPGMakerMV's tile size). Can I do this? I have exported an atlas for outside and inside tiles and I'm not sure how to actually turn that into a working tileset. Whenever I try, it freezes and there are a bunch of errors.

28. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Check this video to see how to create a tileset with tiles of 48x48.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103554271/CreatingMVTileset.mp4

Let me know if you have any issues. I have used an RPG MV tileset found in internet to make this example.

zenGarden likes this.
  29. Thnod

Thnod

Thanks so much! That really helped. But is it possible to paint tiles that automatically wrap together? For example, water tiles automatically making edges and corners against grass tiles.

30. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, second 14 of the video, instead of Add NormalTileset, press Add AutoTileset. The autotiles should be compatible with RPG Maker VX autotiles.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  31. Thnod

Thnod

okay, thanks!!

32. AlaskanDruid

AlaskanDruid

Hello,

I am a long time lurker, and finally bought the asset yesterday, yay!

Anyhow, the following are things I am eyeing:

1. dynamic lights
    2. map transitions
    3. networking
    4. ui system

If I understand correctly, dynamic lights are in the works? As are map transitions? Also, I think I understand that there are no plans for networking, meaning I will need to see if I can integrate that myself.

I also see no plans for UI either. I'm going to have to look that up to see if there's a way I can integrate one.

All and all, this is awesome, and thank you for the great asset :)

P.S. Any chance for you to publish your big todo list?

Thanks,

~Shann

33. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Shann,

I'm glad you like this asset.

About your questions:
    1. Dynamic Lights is something I really want to include, but it's a big task difficult to estimate in time, so probably it will be included some day, but I am not sure it will be soon.
    2. I will try to include map transition for next release. There is a lot of ways to do this, but I am trying to find the easiest way. I was thinking about placing some kind of event layer for this, but it will take more time, so probably, meanwhile, I will create a transition script with a destination scene and position and make the player persistent.
    3. I don't have plans for this
    4. I don't have plans for this

About the TODO list, it could be problematic to publish the list, because it was written with personal notes, and some people could think I am going to add all of it and some tasks are just ideas or something to investigate in the future.

34. dayero

dayero

Any news on the next release?

35. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Dayero,
    I've been busy working on something new, but I have plans to update the RPG Map Editor in a couple of weeks.
    I can't tell you when exactly it will come, but it will contain some important new features.
    Most of the work I've been doing could be applied to this asset, but I need some time for the integration.
    Be patient ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  36. Boris0Dev

Boris0Dev

Hi,
    I purchased yesterday RPG Map Editor and tried to follow the tutorial on youtube "Making an RPG game in 5 minutes".
    First of all: Is this the only tutorial available for the editor?

I created a blank project in Unity 5.3.2f1, imported RPG Map Editor 1.4.1 and as demonstrated in the video I created an AutoTileMap:
    CreateAutoTilemap.png

After that I created a Tileset:
    CreateTileset.png
    An asset "New AutoTileset" was created
    New AutoTileset.png
    And at the same time an error thrown:

Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    2. System.Collections.Stack.Peek () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:321)
    3. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:280)
    4. UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:317)
    5. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:6843)
    6. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1244)
    7. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1028)
    8. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:352)
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Then I created the map data under /Assets/RPGMapEditorFiles
    Create Map Data.png

In the video an object "AutoTileMap Data" was created in the hierachy. Not so in mine:
    No AutoTileMap Data.png

This way I cannot move on.

If I use the AutoTileset shiped with the sample scene and create after that the "Map Data" I get a warning:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Cannot load map while loading
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    3. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.<LoadMapAsync>c__Iterator2:MoveNext() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileMap.cs:392)
    4. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.AutoTileMap:LoadMap() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileMap.cs:382)
    5. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.AutoTileMapEditorBehaviour:OnRenderObject() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileMapEditorBehaviour.cs:36)
    6. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:SaveAssets()
    7. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.AutoTileset:CreateAtlasMaterial() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileset.cs:406)
    8. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.AutoTileset:GenerateAutoTileData() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileset.cs:311)
    9. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.AutoTileMap:Initialize() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileMap.cs:542)
    10. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.<LoadToMap>c__Iterator4:MoveNext() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileMapSerializeData.cs:212)
    11. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.<LoadMapAsync>c__Iterator2:MoveNext() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileMap.cs:404)
    12. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.AutoTileMap:LoadMap() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileMap.cs:382)
    13. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.AutoTileMap:set_MapData(AutoTileMapData) (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/AutoTileMap/AutoTileMap.cs:81)
    14. CreativeSpore.RpgMapEditor.AutoTileMapEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/CreativeSpore/RpgMapEditor/Scripts/Editor/AutoTileMapEditor.cs:229)
    15. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    From this point I don't know how to move on.
    - Do you have a tutorial for the current version where either the tutorial or the version is working?
    - Do you have explanations if I _have_ to use the AutoTileset prefab shiped with and why there is a create button?
    - General: is it possible to move the folder "RpgMapEditor" into another subfolder, eg. Assets/Vendor/RpgMapEditor?

Thanks
    Boris

37. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Boris,

The video you are watching is the first one I did from a very early version. But there is more video tutorials after that.

How to create a tileset with tiles of 48x48.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103554271/CreatingMVTileset.mp4

About the tileset and map created in the asset folder, I change the way of asset creation to be created in the current selected folder and I change the way it was created when pressing the Create Button by mistake, because it is not possible to know the selected folder is a scene gameobject is selected, in this case, the tilemap.
    So the asset will be created in the default directory, the Asset folder.
    In older version, Create button was showing a saveAs dialog.

To create the assets in the selected directory, use:
    Create -> RPGMapEditor -> Tileset, from the project menu.

The error warning you have when the tileset is created pressing button is a GUI mismatch, not a big deal, and it is not important, but I will fix it anyway.

The warning "Cannot load map while loading" is appearing only sometimes, because I add support for loading using coroutines and Unity sometimes is calling the same event twice. Don't worry for that.

About moving the RpgMapEditor folder, you can do that, move it anywhere you want, but be careful is you update asset later, because probably the update will be placed in the original folder.

Let me know if you have any more issues.

38. Boris0Dev

Boris0Dev

First of all I want to appreciate your support! And the tool itself. I worked so far with Tiled, Rotorz, SpriteTile and 2DTilezone and RPG Map Editor is outstanding as it simply works! In fact RME is the first map editor where I didn't regret my investment.
    Now I will check the additional videos.

39. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for your commentaries. It's nice you like the tool ;)
    Let me know if you miss something in the videos, or anything to be improved.

40. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Next version of RPG Map Editor v1.4.2 will be released soon with new improvements:
    • Added a tool bar for painting, erase and display help
    • Added teleporter prefab for scene or map transition
    • Added persistence to player object to allow transitions between scenes
    • Added framework manual (online version available here)
    • Added support for Unity 5.3
    • Fixed some minor gui exceptions
    An important change is now the player is persistent between scenes with an example use of transitions between scene demo1 and playerHouse.
    rpgMapTransitions.gif

41. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

Is the asset modular? I mean does it have chunks which can be used or not, eg. in case I don't want to use player movement, or camera - can I exclude it?

42. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, you can remove what you don't need.
    These are the subsystems that could work on their own:
    - Tilemap
    - Autonomous Agents
    - Path finding
    - And other extra components for player movement, vehicles, AI, Animation, transitions, etc

43. Windex_

Windex_

First of all, great asset I have been using it every day since I bought it, One thing I have found with the teleporter system is that you are using OnTriggerStay which is not called every frame, so sometimes your keypress is not registered when attempting to teleport from one scene to the next. I've modified the TeleporterBehaviour.cs to use an OnTriggerEnter/OnTriggerExit and moved the code from the OnTriggerStay into an added update function to make the teleporter operate on every keypress. It can possibly be improved further but this was my quick and dirty solution.

The other question I have is if there is any planned support for attaching melee weapons. I cant figure out a way to do it with the built in animation system, I could always replace the pistol, but not sure how to go about animating a swing without messing up the normal character animation.

44. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Out of curiosity, what do you have your timetosleep set to in your physics 2d editor settings. If you don't have any type of force affecting Unity forces them to go to sleep behind scenes based on this value. When it goes to sleep behind scenes sometimes OnTriggerStay doesn't activate every frame. If your timetosleep is around .5 seconds which is the default this will make OnTriggerStay work weirdly if there is no type of force or transform movement being used on it.

45. dayero

dayero

@Windex_
    I asked to make the number of animations a parameter a while ago so it is possible to include more animations like attack/run/sneak. Maybe there is news on that topic?

@CreativeSpore
    I havent gotten around to mapping since your 1.4.2 release, but i think the new toolbar will help a lot :)

However, I think often miss out on giving your users options. There is a lot of simple stuff like making a few things parameters instead of hardcoded that would make the map editor a lot more flexible. Also it would allow to save things as settings instead of having to remember to touch your code every time you release an update.

Parameters i can think of right now:

- Number of animations
    - Pixel per Unit
    - Type of shader for the map
    - Keymapping for the char and teleporter script

Also, I think the new teleporter script is very barebones. For example, an option to autoattach your PlayerCamera prefab to the player would be nice. Options to send a message and/or (de-)activating other persistent objects might be useful, too.

Don't get me wrong, I still think your map editor is pretty great. But there is kind of a gap in it. You can either just dabble a bit with it, leave everything as it is and create maps but change none of the mechanics. Then it's all superquick and easy. But if you really want to use it in a project and change something to suit that project, you have to read all the relevant code.

46. Windex_

Windex_

Time To Sleep is set to 0.5

@dayero

I haven't seen anything on the animation parameters here or in the posted news/todo's.

47. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    I couldn't find any problem when I was using it, it could be something related with your own configuration as Cecilcruxis said.
    But did you try changing Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Return) to Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Return)?
    The only difference is, if user keep holding down the key, it will be teleported back.
    You can also check for this pressed event outside like:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. private bool m_isActivationKeyDown = false;
    3. void Update()
    4. {
    5.    m_isActivationKeyDown = m_isActivationKeyDown && Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Return) || Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Return);
    6. }
    And change this line:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. if (player != null && Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Return))
    for this one:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. if (player != null && m_isActivationKeyDown)
    I didn't tested it but it should keep m_isActivationKeyDown to true only if key was pressed and keep the true state until the key is released. So if OnTriggerStay is called too late, the true state will remain but it will be false if user releases the key.

I have modified the teleporting script for next release to fix the input issue and adding an activation key parameter:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103554271/TeleporterBehaviour.cs

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  48. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,

I have modified the teleporting script for next release to fix the input issue and adding an activation key parameter:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103554271/TeleporterBehaviour.cs

About the animations, I made them to support the RPG Maker characters. They always use the same frames and animations, but different resolution. So the only way to guess the size of the frame right now is dividing the width by 3 or 4 frames depending on the version, and the height by 4.
    But eventually I will try to create a more customization animation system.

PixelsPerUnit will be a property of CharAnimationController in next version.

The Type of shader for the map can be changed by changing the Autotileset Atlas Material created with the tileset asset.

If you find any other parameter that should be exposed let me know.

49. dayero

dayero

For the animation frame height, a single parameter signaling 4, 8, 12, or 16 rows would perfectly suffice imho. Of course you can also make something more elaborate and flexible, but this solution is simple to make, simple to understand and already covers a lot of use cases. (Particularly mine of course ;))
    PixelPerUnit refered to autotileset.cs.

Another nice little option would be to activate the teleporter onEnter without extra input.
    The followerAI could use a parameter to assign a target directly or by tag instead of always looking for "player" right away. That way, people can even make waypoints, patrol routes and simple "townfolk behavior" with only a few lines of code and no idea whatsoever whats going on under the hood.
    Extending the local avoidance to unitycolliders would also be an interesting option, but of course that requires some extra coding on your part.

Also, somewhat more involved might be to allow naming tilesets. Browsing tilesets A-Z is a bit of a pain :confused:.

As you can see, I can come up with a lot of fun things to occupy your time - I hope you don't mind :D
    And btw don't mistake these suggestions for not being pleased with the map editor in general. Even if you don't do any of the above, i will keep using it. Just with some occassional nagging about it's many shortcomings ;)

50. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I forgot to answer about the attaching melee weapons. I would make something like in terraria. It's not very realistic, but it makes the trick. You can make it independent and separated from the character animation.