Search Unity

[RELEASED] RPG Map Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Exeneva

Exeneva

I have a question about the license of assets. This product includes assets for creating maps, but is designed to work easily with RPGMaker assets, correct?

On the RPGMaker website, the RPGMaker resources that are included with all RPGMaker programs are only available for use within RPGMaker products. Using them in Unity is actually prohibited. Are your 'default' assets that are included with the kit based on the RPGMaker resources?

2. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

iv been really upset, i cant seem to update the map editor, i even tryed upgrading to unity 5. it still just tells me to download and import. iv tried on different projects new projects ect. i just want to update it....:( iv been wanting to try out the new feature of adding multiple tilesets. so i can add more details to each map...

3. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Exeneva,

The RPG Maker resources are only allowed to be used with RPG Maker as you said. But you can find some tilesets with this license http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ You can use them as long as you give credits to the creator. You can find some here for example and the ones I included can be found here.
    So Macks tilesets are free to use and I think they are quite different to RPGMaker resources.

4. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

There is an specific version for Unity 5, but it should also work with Unity 4.6. Did you try to create an empty project and download it using the asset store window?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  5. SiliconAvatar

SiliconAvatar

6. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for the link. It looks very interesting. RPG Map Editor can be used as top down editor as well. Also, I think, my asset can make bigger maps, using it's own collision system based on tiles. And it has autotiles, animated tiles, 2D pixel perfect camera, characters system, vehicle system and path finding incorporated. But I have to admit, smart sprites are really interesting.
    Anyway, I still have some aces up my sleeve :D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    SiliconAvatar likes this.
  7. SiliconAvatar

SiliconAvatar

8. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

Thanks, I will continue experimenting :)

When I try to build the project as a standalone Windows exe, I get some weird NullReferenceException in UnityEngine.Material:Internal_CreateWithShader called by AutoTileset.cs:290. After this I get a "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in AutoTileMap.cs:493, and no tiles are drawn. Is this a bug, or is it something I've changed? I did try to change shader from Unlit to Standard shader, which seems to work fine in the editor.

9. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi,

I think it's something you changed because it's working for me. But send me your AutoTileset.cs file so I can check that line and see if I can find a way to fix it for you.

10. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

iv tried empty projects and already made projects, its not letting me update it or when i import it in a empty project its the old version...which is odd.

11. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

Thanks. I tried to reimport and replace all the asset files, so now I only have the original 1.2.2 files, but I still get the same error. Could it have something to do with that I start with an empty "AutoTileMap Data" game object and generate the map at runtime? The first error seems to be related to CreateAtlasMaterial and shaders though, and it's still working fine in the Editor.

Here's the beginning of output_log.txt generated by the build version if you see anything of interest.
    The last two errors are then repeated endlessly, and my map doesn't draw at all (I use MyAutoTileMap.SetAutoTile from a script).

12. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It looks like you made a non development build. Could you try enabling development build and script debugging in build settings?
    You could also attach the debugger to the application and see what happens. If you send me a demo I could have a look.

13. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

Sorry about that, I didn't realize there's a difference in the logging. Here's the same log as a development build with script debugging on:

If this doesn't make any sense maybe I can send you the build instead. I don't know much about the debugger unfortunately.

14. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

well, this asset is good when it actually works... :( any idea why i cant update it?

15. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Fresh projects. imported RPG Map Editor 1.2.2.

All of the tiles are messed up. When you click the play button. You can only click on the 1 & 2nd button. the other buttons do not even show up.

Attached Files:

16. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I have seen I submitted a version for 4.6.1 on February 14th. Maybe you are using an old version of Unity. Try using 4.6.3 and higher or version 5.0.0. If it's not working, try sending an email to unity asset support.
    I don't know how to help you with this. It's really weird.

17. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Can you tell me what version of Unity you have? And any errors you have in the log?

18. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Unity 5.0.1f1 (64-bit)
    RPG Map Editor 1.2.2

I had a older version and it worked fine. It only your re-made ones that came with the asset that dont work.

19. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

oh, no errors in log.

When you click the play button > Edit open > you can click on the 1st & 2nd tab. The 3rd, 4th, 5th tabs can not be clicked on.

20. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

I deleted all of your default tile sets form the AutoTileset. And once everything is deleted there is still something there. But it can not be edited or removed. Is that why is causing your big?

It wont let me upload a image of it.

If i start over from scratch using your original files and I just delete the AutoTileset.png file. Then recreate it. then go in and edit tile sets and click apply to make the images show up. The Set 1 shows up. But the set 2 images never actually show up?

21. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It's weird. I have downloaded Unity version 5.0.1f1 and downloaded the asset in an empty new project and it works.
    What do you mean when you talk about the 1st & 2nd tabs? The buttons to change the tileset?
    I think you could have a problem with importing setting of the texture. Maybe you changed the quality settings and textures are being reduced?
    Can you send me your project so I can check what is wrong with it?

22. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

RPG Map Editor v1.2.3 now available!
    • Added full html documentation
    • AutoTileset is now created directly in the selected directory
    • Fixed null exception when creating normal tileset with not all textures selected
    • IsoSpriteController now set the Z position between ground overlay layer and overlay
    • Improved tileset creation times

Sir-Spunky likes this.
  23. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Thanks for the update!

To fix it I deleted files and re-added & rebuilt them until it started working.

24. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

What is this?

IsoSpriteController now set the Z position between ground overlay layer and overlay

Have you thought about adding support for multiple layers. So you can move things up and down? Put items on top of items. Do buildings with higher elevation.

25. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,
    I'm glad you make it work. Maybe it was something related with exporter as I used Unity 5.0.0f4 to upload it to the store.
    About your question:
    The map is using 3 layers: ground, ground overlay( mostly for tiles with alpha ) and overlay ( things over map objects like the characters ). You can add more layers by code, but to make it user friendly I need some time to find the best way to do it. So far, with these layers you have a lot of freedom and allow a more easy editing of the map, because tiles are placed directly in the right layer.
    To make the isometric ordering, there is an script IsoSpriteController attached to characters to set the Z position according to Y position. Before it was hardcoded between 0 and 1, but now Z goes from ground overlay on top of map, to overlay at the bottom. So the z values is always between these layers. You can change the layer Z position later so you don't need to worry about setting the layer position above 1 and below 0 like before.

26. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

I have some possible feature requests if you think they might be useful to other people that bought the tile editor.

1. Add a script that allows an NPC or mob to randomly roam within a certain area. Also make a script that has the NPC to roam the whole map.

Addition to 1. make the AI avoid the player instead of walking through the player. Also have the AI avoid each other in some way.

2. Conversations system built in for NPC.

3. Weather system with regions. Example you can set one area to be am rain forest and have it randomly rain there. Of course add sub-particle effects like adding fog with the rain.

4. Inventory System would boost your sells immensely.

5. Have a Legend of Zelda door and key system.

6. Legend of Zelda style pressure switch system.

7. Have a script that allows you to move objects on a certain layer such as boxes that might even be integrated with the pressure switch system.

Some of these I already wrote my own script for but it would be nice to have them built-in the future. I am sure some of your other costumers might like some of these features.

27. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

Interesting, there is also a list of things that could be implemented:
    https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/2ddemos/issues?status=new&status=open

Hello :D, for the conversation system I saw an interesting open source project :
    http://fungusgames.com/

It's similar to the RPG maker system (quality) and can be better than RPG Maker (tecnically), I need to try it.

UPDATE
    Just work perfectly tested :D.

Yep :D, for example I created the opportunity to put more clothes on the player ( as layers ) and a 2D surface trigger event based on the location of the NPC in the scene , the last one can also be used to create a weather system for regions (like a trigger for any area for his climate), tecnically....
    But for example every time things change on the map system I need to rewrite the dress system since is related to the position of the layer of the map (is a list of sprite for the character whit a z-position) soo for example if this thing will be implemented officially he will save me a lot of time :D on every update (hope in the near future he will do it XD).

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  28. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Need to be able to easily pick what tile is for what lay. And have multiple layers. 3 is not enough.

29. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

I have a suggestion for spore about the layers system , I dont know if you like this idea, but I think this should work.

You actually use a system like whit collision and overlay mixed.
    I suggest to continue to use the collision part whit :

-full tile as collission
    -only edge collision
    -special fence collision

but remove the star that should be the overlay layer (that sometime is confusionary since mix collision and layer) .

I suggest to make a button to set the collision type:

-no collision
    -full tile as collission
    -only edge collision
    -special fence collision

And another button to set in what layer you want to paint the tile :
    -G (ground layer)
    -OV1 (overlay 1)
    -OV2 (overlay 2)
    -OVN (overlay N)

For example I can choose on a tile in the tileset:
    no collision and G (ground layer) = grass
    no collision and OV1 (overlay 1) = blood (on the grass)
    full tile as collission and OV2 (overlay 2) = a chair (the chair will be on the blood and grass)
    full tile as collission and OV3 (overlay 3) = a mobile phone (will be on top of the chair)

after you set this, when you will paint, this will be draw automatically in the correct layer and whit the correct collision selected.
    So we can set on the tileset the type of collision whit a button (if you press for example ctrl) and the type of the layer where will be draw (if you press for example alt you can set the layer if G or one of the OVN):

Pratically just removing the star (removing the mix of collision and layer) and leaving the collision type and adding another button to set the layer type where the tile will be drawn automatically.
    The G (ground) layer should exist everytime, and at least should exist one overlay and you can chose to have from 1 to 9 overlay, I think more can be just confusing.

On the rendering part we could have something like this, where 9 is on top and should have top priority in rendering):
    ground
    overlay1
    player , car, boat (and their layer) <- default but player can change the Z position if want more or less overlay before
    overlay2
    overlay9
    air balloon <- default but player can change the Z position if want more or less overlay before

Obviously it's an idea ....

In this way you can implement an easy layer system maintaining the current functionality, just
    only separating the collision system and the system of layers.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  30. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for the ideas about improving this asset. They are very welcome :)
    I have already some of the proposed features in my big list of TODOs the only problem is to find time to make them all.
    About the conversation system and inventory, some people don't like mixing this map editor asset with other kind of functionality, so these would be probably another asset. The only extra features I am going to maintain in the asset are the ones already added: Path finding, vehicles and character behavior.
    About multiple layers. You forgot the ground overlay, for things like small rock or plants you want over the ground the under the player.
    I will think how to adapt your idea and tell you more later. But probably I will allow some kind of manual tile placing were user decides in what layer to place the tile. And a way to configure what layer is considered ground and what overlay.
    I will work on this and come here with what I found.
    Cheers :)

Exeneva likes this.
  31. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

I know , this take a lot of time , anyway thx for reading my post :).

P.S. For the small rock under the player you can give the choice to set the Z position of the player (set manually the number on the menu) before or after any "overlay" layer, but never before the "ground" layer , so you can use less or more overlay as gound overlay and since they will be before the player they will stay under the player but over the base gound layer.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  32. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

- It would be really nice if there was a random paint options.
    T= tile
    [T1] [T2] [T3] [T4]
    In the editor on the left. You drag and select all 4 tiles. Then check something that says random. Then when you paint (1 or more tiles at a time) it will pick a random tile of the 4 to pain.

Output Is RANDOM: [T2][T4][T3][T2][T1][T1][T4] .. etc

- Should make it so you can put in what ever size macks you want. And then designate the masks to be what ever layer you want. So you can add in and set all of one sheet of tiles to be ground, then walls, then multiple other layers.

We are building a party, character, fighting etc system. And will probably put it all up for sale on the asset store when its done.

33. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,

I made a great discovery! The ReorderableList.

Thanks to this I have implement the map layer quite fast.
    The idea is keep compatibility with previous system, so you can still draw tiles using the old system, but now, you can select a layer manually and all brush action will be taken in that layer.
    Now you will be able to:
    • Hide/Unhide layers
    • Change layer positions by dragging them
    • Change the name of the layer
    • Change layer depth
    • And there is a new type of layer: Map Object layer, to place the objects and in a close future, the map prefabs.
    This is an screenshot of how it will look like:

screen0.png

GOODSunny, tango209 and Exeneva like this.
  34. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Nice work. Looks good.

Its really nice having all the options to do that.

35. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

Fantastic , with this the asset reach a new level .
    The layers for the map and character are very important, well done , even the backward compatibility is excellent .
    Whit this update I think I'll start to produce the map when this update will be released (I have already a sketch, will be easy to redo it), I will also save the work in the xml (if the backup system is already compatible).
    I like very much this update, I'll start to find some tiles to use or I'll create some, I was waiting for this kind of update.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  36. digitalzombie

digitalzombie

Hi CreativeSpore,

I have animated doors in my tile set but they don't animate when approached by a character. Are doors not supported yet?

Thanks!

DZ

37. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

so for some reason i can update again :) i think it might just been some weird glitch for that one particular update. :)

also, whats the difference between wall collisions, fence collisions, and regular collisions. wouldn't they all just stop the player and you would only then need regular collisions? those and overlays? im confused as to what fence and wall add? thanks :)

38. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

No, I'm afraid doors are not supported.

39. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Great! It's good to know. It was really weird.
    The difference between collisions is fully explained in the manual section "Tile collision types".
    Basically, the regular collisions take all the tile area for the collision.
    Wall collisions only take the border of the tile and it's intended to be used with autotiles. An explample of this is the water. You can move inside water but not exit nor enter into in from outside.
    Fence is special for the kind of fences used in RPG Maker tilesets, using a collision area that fits the fence inside.

40. digitalzombie

digitalzombie

What would be your recommended approach for me to add door support? Where to start, what to consider?

41. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It depends on what kind of door you want to create.
    If it's a transition door, you could create a transition tile in the map with a target MapData and tile destination. So when player is over the tile or press a button over the tile, you load the new MapData and place the player over the target tile. You can use RpgMapHelper class to check what tile is at world position and what is the center position of a tile.
    If it's not a transition door, like a something blocking you until you have a key, you can use a set of tiles for the door, with collisions and put it in the ground overlay layer, so in the ground layer you have tiles with no collision, like the floor. When you decided to open the door, just remove door tiles from ground overlay layer, so the door will disappear leaving the path free of collisions.
    For more complex doors, like a door with animation of physics, you can mix the map collision system with the Unity collision system, and add collisions to the door.

42. digitalzombie

digitalzombie

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I could make a transition door much like how the balloon example interacts with the map. I'll pursue that.

Next question, I have a decal that can be applied on top of a wall or on the ground. On the ground I need to be able to walk over it, when it's on top of a wall I need for the collision to remain as set, such as block collision. I can't figure out how to accomplish both with one set of settings.

Leaving collision off (default setting), I can walk over it on the ground but INTO the wall. When I set the decal as an overlay, I can no longer walk into the wall but I walk UNDER it on the ground. What do you think?

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  43. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Right now, you have to replicate the tile so one tile has collision and the the other has not.
    But I am working on adding custom layers, so you will be able to add a layer over the ground and walls with no collisions.
    I hope it will be available soon.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  44. digitalzombie

digitalzombie

That sounds great. Are you thinking a few weeks?

45. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, more or less.
    I have to test it to be sure it works with the other systems, like path finding, vehicles, etc. And double check it is compatible with old system.
    But for sure it will be worth the wait :)

46. digitalzombie

digitalzombie

I'm looking forward to it. I'm putting a project together and I'd like for your editor to be a very important piece.

47. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Hi, I don't know why but i'm struggling to have the player detect collision triggers with the ZombiePlants. I swear it worked once then I couldn't isolate/repeat it.

void OnTriggerEnter2D(Collider2D other)
    {
    Debug.Log ("Something triggered");
    }
    There is no built in script for the player to take damage right?

48. ZenParalysis

ZenParalysis

Hmm, after 9 hours of frustrating attempts to force this to do what I want.. i just gave up and loaded some of my sprites in to mess around. I instantly fell in love lol.

I'm kind of sad that CreativeSpore won't evolve this product into a full RPG Starter Kit but it's pretty good as it is now.

Just really need to figure out why I can't get my player/hero to die...

I know a few have voiced their opinions about wanting this to just be a map editor but isn't Unity making their own map editor?

I vote for a full fledged RPG Starter Kit.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  49. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi ZenParalysis,

I think your problem is you didn't attach a rigidbody2D to the player.
    Add a rigidbody2D and also a BoxCollider and it should work.

About your proposal, I will like to make a lot of things, including improving the character system. But I have a lot of stuff to improve in the map editor and I am using 90% of my time on that. But the other 10% is for eventually improving the other not map related systems.

Currently I am working adding support for multiple layers in the map editor.

About Unity making their own map editor, that's really cool, because I will add support for it as soon as it is released and add any extra feature I have to it. Maybe they will give me ideas about how to improve some of the features and making new ones.

ZenParalysis likes this.
  50. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

We are working on what you are calling a rpg starter kit. It will end up working with crativesports map system. We will very likely put it on the asset store. It will have party, race, class, items, loot, inventory, random map generation etc etc. All the stuff needed to make a games.

ZenParalysis likes this.