Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] RPG Map Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Nov 6, 2014.

1. gamescorpion

gamescorpion

@CreativeSpore: I wanted to know the license of the graphic tiles that come with your asset. Are they royalty free for use in commercial games or are we to assume they are just for example purposes and we must generate all of our own tiles??

Thank you!

Nav

Exeneva likes this.
  2. Exeneva

Exeneva

I find it funny how every time an asset goes on sale, someone starts asking basic Unity questions not related to the asset, like "can it be used for multiplayer games, I have no idea about multiplayer"

cybervaldez likes this.
  3. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply :) I'm very happy to hear that.
    About your question, the tileset is free to use. I took it from here .
    It was created by someone called Macks. Only remember to put him in the credits if you use his tileset.

Related to those questions about multiplayer, or other features, for the moment it is what I say in the description. I put also "a lot of features" because it's a living asset and I am improving it, but I don't think I will make a multiplayer by the way.

What I will do in the next days is try to make some HOWTO video tutorials and try to reduce the restrictions in tilesets to use more tilesets images with different sizes, but I think the 32x32 tile restriction will remain for the moment.

Enjoy the asset and don't hesitate to ask me any question or ask me for including new features. I will put them in my list.

4. PKrawczynski88

PKrawczynski88

I might buy it buuuuuut those are my concerns I have:
    1. 32x32 tile - would be great to have any kind of tile size support
    2. why limit yourself to 512x512 size of spritesheet. Unrestricted would be great.
    3. A to E tilesets - thats pretty good so far but support for unlimited tilesets would come in handy for some projects.

I know you tried to make it as close to rpgmaker as possible - kudos to you for that but it would serve you better to be your own thing without having restrictions that rpg maker community is fighting for years :p)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes you are right. That's because next thing I am going to do is removing that restriction.
    I am not copying RPG Maker, but doing something improved and focused to next generation games. I just needed something to start with.
    Let's see in next update what we have :)

Yasunokun likes this.
  6. PKrawczynski88

PKrawczynski88

One question then - do you plan to have some method for user instead to import full spritesheet like you need in rpg maker to add single sprites and generate this spritesheet dynamically or at least allow to use single sprites?
    It would be far faster for people like me that arent artist and dont want to spend even 10 seconds in any program to edit their spritesheet to add couple more sprites.

7. Velcrohead

Velcrohead

Hi! Bought your product today and safe to say I am gobsmacked at what great value it was. Really, really excited to get to use this thing!

Haven't had a chance to dive into it yet, however, is there any built in functionality to detect what tile the player is on? From what I have seen though, this is an excellent asset at an unbeatable price (especially in the sale!), thanks!

8. Racsoth

Racsoth

Hello everybody.

I'd like to buy this extension while it's on sale. However, I'm using Unity Free (not Pro). Do you know if it will work, or do I need Pro?

Thanks!

9. Exeneva

Exeneva

It works with Unity Free.

10. Yasunokun

Yasunokun

Hi, great work so far on this i am really liking it and still learning it. I was wondering if you could share any of your future plans with us? For instance the pathing works great, and i see that we can set the timer between creation, and max number of entities but their range is the whole map so they will "see" and path from the other side. A limited raidus would be a welcome addition.

I was curious though if you had plans to integrate into PlayMaker? If you did a proper integration with that, then you could use playmaker as your equivalent to the event system in RPG Maker VX Ace, or did you have plans to do your own event type system? :p

11. Exeneva

Exeneva

Playmaker integration seems like a drastic undertaking! It's not one I'm personally a fan of, but perhaps CreativeSpore might be interested in.

12. Yasunokun

Yasunokun

Well, visual scripting tools are becoming super popular and its no secret that PlayMaker is VERY popular in the asset store. Usually other assets that tote the playmaker logo and say its integrated, or compatible with it rise in sales even quicker than they would before.

People really enjoy Play Maker and how easy it makes it to script actions visually. Plus, if he is going for a better and more improved RPG Maker VX Ace, then this would be one way to have a very open event system without having to necessarily write one from scratch... Or he could do both, or just his own. No clue what his plans are since he hasn't shared it really. :p

13. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

There is a new video tutorial in my youtube channel to explain how to change sprite sheets of characters.

Alexarah and Exeneva like this.
  14. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

Hello I already wrote a few days ago:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-rpg-map-editor.278604/#post-1933671

I saw that you're continuing to update the asset and you also have already added the vehicles , soo I bought two seconds ago the asset, I'm going to create a mixed game between 2D and 3D , I like very much this style of game .

About the last video I have a question:
    are you thinking to implement even the possibility of include more layers to the character?
    So if I have in my equipment system (created by myslef) a dress I can simple change a layer to put on my custom dress.

A list of layers like this (to have multiple sprite char set to one PG):

sprtie char set layer 1 = i can put the body
    sprtie char set layer 2 = i can put the hat
    sprtie char set layer 3 = i can put a shirt

and a button to add more sprtie char set layer (if I want more) ,

and obviously
    sprtie frames layer 1
    sprtie frames layer 2

about the configuration if you can change this next we should just add more sprite rendered and from the position of the layer he will be rendered on top or under other sprite (like he should work) correct ?
    This is one of the things in great demand and never implemented in the various rpg maker :D (only aviable whit bugged external script ) .

theoretically whit this system I could also use the layers not only to change the apparence, but also to change the expressions of the character on single parts of the body and that would be very interesting.

P.S. I also forgot , I go to write a review and vote 5 star now that I bought it since is a good asset and you are very active in the support and producing new content :D.

In this way he will create automatically an empty object "SpriteRenderer" where will be instantiated all the empty object whit the sprite renderer "Sprite0 , Sprite1 , etc" and also the targhet sprite renderer will be created automatically if are less than the char set and the object whit the sprite renderer will be associated automatically.

//SOLVED AND IMPLEMENTED

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  15. Exeneva

Exeneva

Maybe I missed something here, but the RPG Map Creator is more of a mapping solution and not a 'build your own RPG' solution.

What several people have proposed above, such as multiplayer, playmaker, and the layering solution, can be done by using your own code and not the character system included with the kit, which by default is not that suitable for production use (and likely not intended to be).

16. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

Anyway I was able to implement it , it was not very difficult but I was forced to learn how the tilesets were rendered.
    Recreate all, mean having to recreate the collision system of the character and the priority of rendering respect the scene..
    At that point I had only to recreate the system of tilesets and had cloned the asset XD.

Anyway about the multiplayer and the compatibility whit other asset of course are features that go far beyond the asset itself and I completely agree.
    My request was, however, relating to the functionality of the asset, but I solved the problem by myself XD.

Exeneva likes this.
  17. zenGarden

zenGarden

It is possible to create diagonal collisions and use sprites with diagonal shapes instead of square shapes only ?

Can we use bigger characters sprites : 64*64, 128*168 ?

Can we mix 3D and 2D , i mean 3D models for characters and ennemies while using this kit 2D navigation and collisions ?

Does the kit supports maps management ?
    Enter a door -> it load a house indoor map
    Exit door -> it loads the map level
    Exit map point -> it loads a new map (or it is to us to use commands to change maps ?)

@Peaceful man :
    Can you share the modifications ? I'm interested when i'll buy this kit.

18. zov

zov

good job! but really need shadows in the map!
    how about the method in rpg maker vx ace?
    paint the shadow instead of auto shadow?
    shadow can make the map look good!thx

19. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

No problem , this modification work also for the vehicles, you can make layer also for veicle .
    Then if the creator want I can send to him the changes made (via PM or email) and he can implement better for everyone the changes and convert the last things remaining.

He need only to make compatible the ISO sprite controller , actually my system work but can give error if I delete the old system (because of the ISO sprite controller).

if we are able to add new things everyone gains .

If he can't add this, I'll send you what I have modified, it will not be perfect but will work .

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Exeneva likes this.
  20. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You can use bigger character sprites, as long as they have the right format ( 3 frames per direction and 4 directions ). See the video I posted few days ago.

Character collisions with map are managed by an special script were you define the collision rectangle, so technically you can use your own 3D models. The problem would be the overlay layer. A layer over the actors, used for trees, bridges, etc. I don't think it will work unless you create those objects in 3D as well.

You can make a door easy by script. You have to load a new map using the LoadMap feature. if you load a map from an scriptable objects (an autotilemap.asset) you can use different tilesets. But if you import an xml map, all maps should use the same tileset atlas. I am working right now in removing tileset limitations.

21. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I will have this into account. Some people are more happy because I don't use shadows, so I will make it optional. Not sure when it will done but I will add this to my pending list of features.

22. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Many thanks for your review. You are awesome :)
    I see you are starting including new features on your own. That's great.
    I will have this new multi-layer feature into account, but right now I am busy working on removing tileset limitations and it will take me a while. Let's see when I finish this.

23. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

Thx to you, I sent you a PM whit the code changed, maybe you know how to implement it better, but maybe it can serve as a starting point for when you will look into this feature :D.
    P.S. Removing tileset limitations is a good thing ,I remember that in rpg maker was a big problem .

24. jdscogin

jdscogin

I really like this. It will save a lot of work. Question. I put a door on a house. How can I detect that the character collides with the door?

25. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Use unity colliders. Also you can check how the boat works and do something similar.

26. jdscogin

jdscogin

I thought about that and am giving it a try. No success yet but I am sure I can get it to work.
    Thanks

27. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Exeneva likes this.
  28. pandamaster

pandamaster

Thank you so much for your work. :) I have a question. What should I do work to stop the enemy in pathfinding mode.? I hope to move enemy on player.

29. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi,
    Disable the path finding behaviour component.
    I already do that when enemy is close enough to the player in FollowerAI.cs:
    m_pathFindingBehaviour.enabled = (vTarget - transform.position).sqrMagnitude > 0.32*0.32;

30. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

AlexKop likes this.
  31. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

hello, are you able to switch tilesets on the same maps? im trying to find out how to use more tiles than just the ones you give in the options, basically i would like be able to use all my tilesets whereever i need them on the world map. you give about 8 options for different tiles but i was wondering if their is any way to add more?? thanks

32. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You can create a new Tileset with your own sub tilesets configuration and change it in any AutoTileMap by selecting a different tileset in the inspector.

I am working in allowing to edit and create tilesets more easily and be able to add as much tilesets as you want. Autotileset and normal tilesets. Hopefully it will be available next week.

33. j1e3s5

j1e3s5

thats not working for me, i mean it shows the new tileset in the inspector but then when i place the tiles it places the old tiles still....:(

34. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Map is not refreshed after changing tileset. I will fix that, but meanwhile, just press play of reload the scene. I should work that way.

35. Exodish

Exodish

Can we hope getting more stuff from you, like a cutscene editor, npcs, shop, item database?

36. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Sure. Once I finish polishing the map editor I will create more stuff.

Exodish likes this.
  37. Alexarah

Alexarah

What's up CreativeSpore I purchased RPG Map Editor yesterday and it already looks awesome! But are we able to create interior maps such as houses, inns, and shops instead of just outside maps? Also is it possible to create say an ABS (Action Battle System) or a SBS (Sideview Battle System)? Think of the ones made for RPG Maker Ace such as Battle Symphony a SBS or XAS an ABS for example. And one last thing is it possible to use AI packages from the Asset Store that support 3d and 2d like Node Canvas to make advanced enemies and allies? Sorry if I'm asking a lot but I'm just excited about RPG Map Editor! Great work on it bro!

38. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Alexarah,
    Yes, you can create interiors as well using the tileset. Check Tileset D. It has more inner tiles.
    I am not sure about if this asset works with Node Canvas. I use an special script for map collisions, and you can access the tilemap nodes individually to check if it's passable or not, like I do in the Path Finding. Maybe that allow you to integrate it with that asset.
    About the Battle System, it songs very interesting, but it's a huge feature and I prefer to work in other smaller features first.
    Thanks for your commentaries about the asset. If you need any support you can also send me an email to creativespore@gmail.com. My name is Juan, by the way.

Alexarah likes this.
  39. playometry

playometry

this looks so good. I have some questions:
    1. Will you implement things like dialogue system or event system, or is this just strictly map editor? Can we make a full fledged top down game with this?

2. The vehicles are a wonderful addition, will you add ground vehicles like tanks or cars?

I've tried the demo, and the way the characters move around is SO smooth, I absolutely love it! And the real time fighting is awesome, which is what RPG Maker is missing (i think).

40. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hey CreativeSpore is there a script included with RPG Map Editor to make a real time or sideview turn based battle system? Oh by the way playometry the real time fighting you're thinking of isn't RPG Maker's default battle system however there are scripts for RPG Maker. XAS and Falcao ABS Liquid are real time battle systems and as far as sideview turn based battle systems there's Battle Symphony, Victor's Animated Battlers, and Theolized Battle System, and Journey Battle System to name some. If you're ever interested in using RPG Maker for developing a game I recommend one of the battle systems I just mentioned. Google it and you should find them really fast.

playometry likes this.
  41. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Playometry,
    This asset was first intended to be a map editor with some extra features to help making a game with it but I just went a little bit forward with these extra features making vehicles and path finding.
    I am almost finished with a new way of creating tilesets with as many tiles as you want, instead the current limitation of 5 groups of 256 tiles. Then, I will take a time to check what will be next.
    Probably I will polish this asset a little bit more and make some video tutorial to explain what you can do with it.
    Once I feel ok with it, I will think about doing more stuff. I don't know if it will be a new asset or it will be part of this one yet, but what it's sure is I will keep improving this asset with new stuff.

playometry likes this.
  42. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Not yet. As I said to Playometry, I want to improve this asset but I cannot guarantee I will include a battle system soon or as part of this asset. Let's see in a couple of weeks.
    In case I make a battle system, are you thinking in an specific battle system?

Alexarah likes this.
  43. Exeneva

Exeneva

I would be wary of the inclusion of a battle system. If you do make one, please isolate it for people like us who bought this asset for what it is, instead of the users who are trying to turn this into RPG Maker VX Ace, recreated in Unity.

Alexarah likes this.
  44. Alexarah

Alexarah

Yeah you're right about that Exeneva I would prefer to have a battle system if any that isn't imitating the ones made for RPG Maker Ace. Since RPG Maker Ace has such strict terms of use and all of that it is best to isolate RPG Map Editor along with it's assets to Unity like you stated. Oh yeah in case you haven't tried this yet Exeneva but RPG Map Editor works perfectly with Unity 5 which is the version I'm using and when I bought RPG Map Editor then imported it everything worked without any errors.

45. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

Tecnically also rpg maker copied final fantasy about the battle system , you can create a code to reproduce anything but you can't use the same code (steal the source code) or the same art assets (steal art assets). Anyway probably it's the last thing in the to do list (the battle system), there are many things to do before I suppose.....

I suppose probably:
    -map functionality and extension
    -character and npc functionality and extension
    -effect for the map
    -event

-everything else if he continue to produce and support the asset and in this case the first could be a battle system but he probably should make the possibility to activate deactivate this system and probably should put in a separate folder since is an important extension of the asset.

This is what I suppose, I suppose also that as soon as someone start to produce a few games and release them, many people will come to buy this asset.
    Personally I think he has a huge space of success.

However in my opinion provide input to developer can be helpful, I also think that he have an interest to make this asset functional, since he is also producing a game himself, on our side, since we are his customers we need to hope he will be successful.
    I think that can also born a strong community around this asset (like many important assets/tools).

As I said this are just my opinions :D.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    CreativeSpore likes this.
  46. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Exeneva,
    Don't worry about that. I will first give support to the map editor but if it's something simple and it could be isolated from map editor I don't mind to improve this asset with new features. I really appreciate your commentaries that help me to make a better tool.

47. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for your commentaries,
    About next steps, they will probably be:
    - Video Tutorials
    - Polishing of current code
    - Doors and Map transition demo
    - Light effects
    - Improved damage system and Player Health bar

Peaceful-man and playometry like this.
  48. playometry

playometry

Thanks for the replies! I'm personally not looking for a turn based system, what i'm envisioning is using the real time combat built in. I was just wanting to know how far you intend to take this asset, which as it stands is already awesome.

What makes this 1000x better than RPG Maker is that it's UNITY, and we can put this on so many more platforms than RPG Maker. It's so much more robust.

Thanks again.

49. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi Playometry,

It's difficult to say how far I will go with this asset, because I am having decisions basing on what people would like to see on it and new ideas I have along the time, but I would like to make a kind of top-down game starter kit. I don't know yet if I will create different assets or put everything in this asset. I will listen to the people and decided in base of their opinions as I prefer doing something people like. If a lot of people thinks an specific system could be a good improvement I will consider it as something to implement.
    Also, I would like to update the asset eventually, even if I create another asset. And as I am going to use my own asset in my own games, I will improve it at the same time and update it with new content. Always keeping each subsystem separated.

playometry likes this.
  50. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Soon the new version 1.2.0 will be realeased with a new tileset editor allowing multiple tilesets.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015