Search Unity

[RELEASED] RPG Map Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Nov 6, 2014.

1. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Sorry for my late answer, I missed your question.
    I have no plans to update to the new GUI at the moment.

2. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, here you can see an example made by @JoeStrout :
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-rpg-map-editor.278604/page-9#post-2573211

About your custom player animation, it depends on what kind of player animation you are using.

3. Pingquin

Pingquin

Hello, is this framework pathfinding support different agent size?

4. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It is working based on tile grid, so it finds a path checking if the tile is passable or not.

5. lizkin

lizkin

Hello, I see that you have also a asset called "Super Tilemap Editor". Does RPG Map editor contain it, or has the same functionality ? (I know this asset is focused on RPG , but I wonder if Map Editor is the same or better or worse ?)

6. lizkin

lizkin

No answer ?

7. Calm

Calm

How would I be able to use a raycast to get the index of the tile?
    I'm using ScreenpointToRay to get the world space position.

Is there somehwere that I can access the index for each tile type? Like all grass is index g and so on. I'd like to build a db of the tile index from the tileset so that i can access which tile is at x,y coordinates.

thanks!

8. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Sorry for my late answer. Unity forum sometimes skip sending notifications.
    This question has been answered in the forum in case you want to see more detailed answers.
    Super Tilemap Editor is more updated and flexible than RPG Map Editor, but RPG Map Editor is more easy to use if you use tilesets with the RPG Maker layout. Also includes a framework to help you to create an old school RPG.

9. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Use RPGMapHelper.Raycast for raycasting.
    But for you are looking for, check the class AutoTileMapSerializeData that is doing something similar to what you are trying to achieve.

10. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

@CreativeSpore
    I'm on Unity 2019.3.2f1 (64-bit) now and just imported RPGMapEditor into a new project. The tileset in the inspector is showing up blank when I try to paint. Reimported the asset a couple time but it's still blank. The one in play mode still works ok. Hopefully it's an easy glitch to fix :)

RPGMapEditorGlitch.gif

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  11. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I couldn't replicate this in Unity 2019.3.0f3. It could be a bug with that specific version or an issue with the Unity layout.
    Try to restore the layout to see if that fixes the issue:
    upload_2020-2-25_10-56-10.png

12. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

I tried restoring the layout and that didn't fix it unfortunately.

13. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I have tried again with Unity 2019.3.3f1 and it's working fine. Could you check if this version of Unity works properly?
    Also, could you try creating an empty project?

14. CHOPJZL

CHOPJZL

Hello!
    I am wondering how to create an AutoTileSet. It's not about how to add the png file to the tileset. But how does the editor knows which tile uses which part of the png file?

15. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

That is automatically done by the Tilemap behaviour.
    Here you can see some video tutorials:

16. CHOPJZL

CHOPJZL

I watched the tutorials before. Like I said it just shows adding the png files to the tileset.
    But what is the rule to prepare the png file? Do I need to arrange the tiles like in the example?
    tileset1.jpg
    How about animated tiles, Do they must be 3 frames and must be in 1-3 5-7 columns?
    macks_A1.png

17. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You need to follow the same layaout as in the example tileset that you can also see in the manual:
    upload_2020-8-29_19-46-33.png

For example for the animated tileset, it should be the same size in tiles and you should place the same number of frames.

18. vent0s

vent0s

@CreativeSpore Hi, I have the same issue with @JGameMaker92
    The tile goes blank as I tried to implement this plugin in unity2020.3.2f. I tried to import that into 2019.4.15f, but the result shows the same. Seems like version that above 2019 will have this issue. Here is the video showing how it looked like when I tried to implement that into a fresh created unity2020 project.

19. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

This is black magic. I imported it to Unity 2021.1.2f1 and it works properly.
    I recommend you to reset your layout to default. I've seen some bugs related with that, like for example having two inspector windows, etc. That could fix the issue.
    upload_2021-4-10_10-28-20.png

vent0s likes this.
  20. vent0s

vent0s

tested that on 2021.1.3f1 and 2021.1.2f1, changed layout into default, the problem still exists. I think it might be caused by some factors from some of the settings or environment in the computer. (but this is so weird, what might cause that?)

21. vent0s

vent0s

got a new issue, the waterfall animation seems not working properly, but the one in the sample scene did not show the same.

Im currently using a "MV" sized map, don't know if that is the reason or something that I didn't aware of went wrong. Thanks in advance for any valid suggestion!
    upload_2021-4-22_12-58-40.png
    upload_2021-4-22_12-59-23.png

22. snake2571

snake2571

Hello. Did you manage to solve this problem? Faced the same.

23. snake2571

snake2571

The problem hasn't gone away. Please, help

24. MatrixNew

MatrixNew

25. timlg

timlg

(1.) Is there a way to change the tilemap from code during runtime? E.g. to swap a blocked door with an unlocked one?

(2.) Is there an easy way to get pathfinding working on the AI? The Super Tilemap Editor has this functionality AFAIK, can I apply that to this asset as well if I buy it?

---------------------
    Edit regarding (1.):
    For anyone stumbling across this: You can use
    RpgMapHelper.SetAutoTileByPosition
    for this. (A more detailed documentation for the asset would be convenient.)
    Be aware that this, for some reason, saves the edits permanently... So you should save and restore the original state of the tilemap, at least if you're in the editor and not yet in the final build.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  26. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You found the answer for the first question. But about it being saved, there is an option you can change in the tilemap inspector setting: save changes after playing.
    About second question. The Super Tilemap Editor asset is not compatible with this one. But this asset has another built in version of the AI pathfinder.

27. timlg

timlg

Thanks! That works great. (much cleaner than saving and restoring the state OnApplicationQuit xD)

Ah I see, sorry. I just used and customized the Companion AI. Which is rather bad at pathfinding. But it doesn't make use of the MapPathFindingBehaviour as far as I saw. So I probably need to rewrite it using that.

Thanks for the fast reply! (I just somehow didn't get a notification/email from unity)

28. timlg

timlg

Is there a way to make wall collisions work for non-auto tiles? I want to have objects where you can walk behind them, but not through them (so only the bottom should be a collider).
    I would probably need a new
    eTileCollisionType
    , but I'm not sure where I need to make changes to get the collision right.

While it brings back some nostalgia, limiting the asset to the RPG Maker tileset format is the only problem I have with it. Collisions and animations with it are just not flexible enough to create the things I want to create.
    Therefore I just bought the Super Tilemap Editor which is exactly what I need for map creation (it even has Pyxel Edit import *.*), but it misses the other features like the player script that I would then need to write myself.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024 at 4:22 PM