Search Unity

[RELEASED] RPG Map Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Nov 6, 2014.

1. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You can do the same but you need to hold the Shift key while painting one of the walls. The shift key will force the tile to be placed in the upper layer. The autotiling is made in the same layer, so you can draw a wall without holding Shift, and the other one holding Shift. Be sure to erase the previous tiles before painting them again holding the Shift key or they will remain under the new tiles, still making the autotiling with the neighbor wall.
    This would be the process in your use case to fix the issue:
    wallPainting.gif

2. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Great thanks! I knew it had to do with the layers and I didn't want to manually create another layer in addition to the 3 already there. I'll give this a try (I'm assuming it works in the in-game editor as well?)

Also I have another enhancement that I find useful. It does two things, toggles the in-game editor at runtime and gives you a dynamically built list of scenes to jump around to. This is based on the DemoGUI you have in the sample scripts but doesn't require you to manually add scenes to it (Unity 5.5 or higher). I'll post the code this weekend.

CreativeSpore likes this.
  3. MR_Jaxin

MR_Jaxin

@CreativeSpore I'd like to ask if I can get a place on the map. For example, I have a car on the map, which is moving randomly. Can I get the location of the car on the map?

4. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, you can use the class RPGMapHelper and the methods GetGridX and GetGridY to know the grip position of the car in the map.

5. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

New version of RPG Map Editor v1.5.5 available!

Changelog 1.5.5:

• ADDED CreateTileSprite to RPGMapHelper class to create an sprite from a tile
    • ADDED StopFrameIdx to DirectionalAnimation to select the frame used when the animation stops playing (-1 will stop the animation in the current frame)
    • FIXED some exceptions when during a collision event the contacts array is empty
    • FIXED some namespace issues when using the tool with other CreativeSpore tools
    • FIXED allow changing the layer Id of a tilemap. Now it is not set back to Default on play

6. hustlemobeats

hustlemobeats

I own RPG Maker VX Ace, MV and a bunch of others..you just made my dreams true buddy =] but I need help.

7. hustlemobeats

hustlemobeats

How do I convert it so I can use my MV tiles? I don't want to resize my whole game but will if needed.

8. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You can to use a different tile size, you can change it creating a new tileset and changing the tile size during the first step:
    upload_2018-4-16_9-27-43.png

If you need more help about how to create a tileset, you can check these tutorial videos:

If you find any issues let me know.

hustlemobeats likes this.
  9. hustlemobeats

hustlemobeats

Is there a way to add more than 2 tilesets and how do I import VX/VX ace maps/tilesets with collisions included or is there a bunch of videos im missing?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. hustlemobeats

hustlemobeats

I'm going to literally turn the entire RPG Maker community onto you lol so I got a few questions do you got an email/discord/skype? And will this work with other assets such as the Quest Pro, inventory pro etc. I have the top down 2d adventure starter kit and it has modular features, was going to try to combine a few and maybe even integrate Adventure Creator with your assets but got no idea on the errors i will encounter :p

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  11. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there!
    You can ask me anything you need using the support email support@creativespore.com or through the web contact page: https://creativespore.com/contact/

About your last questions:
    - You can't import maps or tileset data from VX, this tool is just compatible with the same type of tileset layout it uses, including animated terrains, autotiling, walls, etc. And it uses a similar tile properties to make tiles non passable, etc. But you would need to recreate the maps and the tileset in RPG Map Editor.
    - In the videos you can see how to add more than two tilesets and also in the manual:
    upload_2018-4-17_10-51-0.png
    Remember to add enough slots when creating the tileset the first time. Then you can use the slot to add an autotileset (where you can use the tileset types A1 A2 A3 A4 and A5) or a nomal tileset where you can use textures with 16x16 tiles similar to tye tileset types B, C, D, E.

12. gferrari

gferrari

Hello! I'm interested in your system. I read a comment that the performance is not very good in mobile. I would like to know your opinion. The reason is that I make games for mobile. I love what this asset can do. Thank you!

Edit: Can I add multiplayer without too many problems, for example for a game of two people coop online?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  13. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there,

I have made an apk file so you can test yourself in an android mobile. The performance should be fine. I think the review about the performance was for PS Vita. I didn't try this asset in PS Vita, but I did in a LG G2 and it works at 60 FPS, at least the included demos. But I have disabled the in game tile editor. It is using the old GUI system and could be the cause of the FPS drop in PS Vita if he forgot to disable it or maybe it was a problem in an older version. I think that use didn't send me a support email, it is 8 months old and I don't remember if I gave him some solutions at the moment, but I always try to fix any reported issue with the asset and right now, with the last version, it looks fine with the mobile performance.

Anyway, here you have an apk version. I have modified it to display the FPS and change the camera zoom in-game.
    RPG Map Editor Demo v155.apk

And I did also a build for Window, in case you want to try.
    RPG Map Editor Demo v155.zip

About the multiplayer, it is not prepared for multiplayer. You would need to made some modifications to make it work, but I don't think it would be too complicated. You can ask me if you need any help with that.

gferrari likes this.
  14. gferrari

gferrari

Thank you for you answer! Already with this kind of answer you convinced me that there is a great support behind it. I'm going to buy it! Regards!

15. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You are welcome ;)

16. gferrari

gferrari

The player shoots at them with the keys j, h, u, k. If I want to just use a fire key. It's simpler to shoot where the player is watching. Will I have to modify it in the code? Or is it some configuration? Thank you!

17. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You need to modify the code. Check this code as reference and let me know if you have questions.
    upload_2018-5-8_9-48-52.png

gferrari likes this.
  18. pxx00207

pxx00207

Hello.This is great asset.
    Are there plans to respond to conversations with npc?
    I want to talk with NPCs in a collision and using return key.
    Thank you.

19. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there!
    Thanks for your kind words. Good to know you like the asset ;)
    About your question, I have created a new asset only for dialogue creation.
    It is still pending of review, but soon it will be available.
    Here you can see more information about this new asset:
    https://creativespore.itch.io/rpg-conversation-editor

20. pxx00207

pxx00207

Wao! This is very very nice asset!
    I'd like to look forward to release this asset.
    Thank you very much!

21. arthmoeros

arthmoeros

Hello!, This is a very neat and time saving asset, already purchased it and it is very easy to use.

However, I don't know if I'm pushing too far this asset or Unity itself, because I wanted to use HQ tilesets (128px per tile), but using this size reduces my available slots to 1, so If I want to use autotiles and normal tiles, I'm stuck with a limited 1024x2048 tileset for normal tiles on a single tileset atlas...

I guess it is because of a limit on the atlas size, it is possible to increase this limit? or maybe an option to reduce the available space for autotiles?

upload_2018-9-2_0-0-54.png

22. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Good to know you liked it ;)
    To increase the limit size, you can change the value here. It was limited in previous versions to 4096 but not you can set it to 8192:
    upload_2018-9-3_12-2-54.png

23. lordice1

lordice1

hey like the asset can you help me out with changing the weapon i woild like my players to use swords or achery medievel type game thanks inadvance

24. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there!
    If you can describe the problem I could help you. Did you try any approach so far?

25. lordice1

lordice1

None yet as iv only just really got to looking at the pack due to work

26. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Important Note about Unity 2018.3 and the new prefab workflow.

Before migrating the project with RPG Map Editor to any of the new version supporting the new prefab workflow, you need to apply the attached patch to your project.

Or manually change any asset with of type AutoTileMapData or AutoTileset to have the extension ".asset" instead of ".prefab".

Remember this fix only works if the project still recognizes the assets with .prefab extension.

Attached Files:

27. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Just wondering how you apply the patch before migrating the project? That means you have to open the project in a version before 2018.3, apply the patch, then upgrade the project? Is there a way to do it after you upgrade the project (without applying the patch first)? Can you just apply the patch after the upgrade?

28. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, as I said in the post, you can also manually renaming the assets that contain the map data from ".prefab" to ".asset" and also the meta file.

example:
    AutoTilemap1.prefab
    AutoTilemap1.prefab.meta

should be renamed to:

AutoTilemap1.asset
    AutoTilemap1.asset.meta

If you use a control version like git, you can just open the project with a previous version, use the patch to automatically do that for you, then go back to the newer version making sure the only files that have chages are the ones renamed by the patch.

29. GOODSunny

GOODSunny

Great Asset!! When will the new version come out? Like combat systems, skill systems, more animation editors?

30. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Has anyone been experiencing memory leaks with this in the editor? Annotation 2019-02-07 084102.jpg

This is with a 1080 gfx, I7 3.8ghz cpu, and 32gb of ram.

31. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Also its only painting white tiles;

Annotation 2019-02-07 085439.jpg

32. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Could you tell me what version of Unity are you using?
    That shouldn't be happening.

33. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

2018.3.4f1

I deleted the tileset, remade it then tried again. It worked until i closed unity (saved everything) then when i opened it back up everything turned white again.

Very unusable at the moment.

34. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Any update on this? I'm afraid to do any development with it in fear that i put a couple hundred hours into something only for it to become unusable because my tilemaps become white.
    I also own your dialogue system (which has been really good) so I'm hoping to be able to endorse this asset as well

35. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

My bad. I think I forgot to submit the last update or it was rejected without notice.
    Check this post:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-rpg-map-editor.278604/page-13#post-4030555

Here there is a fix for that. The issues was with the name of the tilemap data assets using the extension .prefab instead of .asset. It was not a problem until the last versions of Unity. You need to apply the patch and rename the files with prefab extension.
    I will submit the last version again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: It looks like it was an error with the asset store because I see the new version in the package details but not in the store :( I will check this time it is already changed in the store when I receive the notification from the Asset Store

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  36. Rman1207

Rman1207

I am new to this and Unity so I am having issues. Is it possible to link two maps together using a trigger and if so how would I do so? For example I want to have a doorway that when the player touches it they are teleported to a different location/tilemap.

37. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Theres a teleporter prefab i believe. You can use that.

38. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

You can use the Teleporter Behaviour. There are at least one in every demo scene.
    upload_2019-2-11_21-31-49.png

39. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

The new version has been released. I have double checked it this time.

40. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Downloaded and its now working perfectly! Appreciate the fix.

41. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Can you add the functionality seen in your SuperTile asset where we can make our own atlasas and our own ruleset tiles? After Messing around with this I've realized that Im wasting a ton of performance on importing whole spritesheets when i can repack them, but it looks like the import is only for RPG Maker sizes....Perhaps i bought the wrong asset and should have gotten your other asset? Any thoughts?

42. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It would be complicated to add custom brushes to RPG Map Editor, but you can change the tile size if you want.
    You only have to create a new tileset with the specified size. You have to meet a certain size in in the textures you use, but you use many textures to create a tileset (only with the maximun texture size limitation).
    upload_2019-2-13_21-48-23.png
    Here you can see how to create a tileset from scratch:

43. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

I got that part. But for an atlas to be 8k x 8k or more is extremely un-performant. Is there anyway to swap my license? I really was only interested in the autotileset and the chunk based tilemaps.

44. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I think that swapping the license is not possible by the Unity Store. I don't manage that.
    But even in Super Tilemap Editor, it is not possible to have an atlas so big. But you could generate several tilesets in Super Tilemap Editor and use different tilesets in different tilemaps.

45. NaughtyMoleGames

NaughtyMoleGames

Is there a way to import maps from Tiled?

46. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Sorry for my late answer, I missed your question.
    No, it is not implemented in RPG Map Editor, only in Super Tilemap Editor, but it is only a basic support and not all Tiled features are imported.

47. rtjia

rtjia

I test 128 pix per tile. but not success, i change code : k_MaxTextureSize = 8192 and import a texture(2048*1536), no problem
    1.png

but in unity , i cannt see this texture:
    12.png
    why?
    where am wrong?

48. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

HI there,

Are your importing the texture as Normal tileset or as Autotileset?
    The way it looks I think you created an autotiliset because its displaying the tiles used for the preview of autotilesets.
    You should use the button Add Normal Tileset.

Attached Files:

49. Sphelps

Sphelps

Will you update this to the new GUI any time soon?

50. heimasi

heimasi

Hello, I find your great asset, thanks! I have a question:

Can I use the code to generate a map dynamically and randomly while the game is running with RPG Map Editor? If yes, Can you give me a link to an example or a document about that?
    Can I use my custom player animation?

Thanks!