Search Unity

[RELEASED] RPG Map Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CreativeSpore, Nov 6, 2014.

1. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

RPG Map Editor
    http://u3d.as/anj

I am working in a rogue like game and I am about to release the map editor I will use for this game soon. I am announcing it earlier so you can tell me what do you think about it and what thing you would like to be improved or added before it is released. Thank you very much for taking time to try the demo and I hope you enjoy making a level. Don't forget to save you map!
    And visit my web: www.creativespore.com
    • Description:
    Autotile map editor for RPG games or anything you want to create. With collisions and minimap integrated and everything needed to create a game faster.​
    • Features:
      • Full Html Documentation (NEW v1.2.3)
      • Custom tile size (NEW v1.2.1)
      • Multiple Tilesets allowed (NEW v1.2)
      • Air & Sea Vehicles (NEW v1.1)
      • Fast Path Finding using coroutines and different heuristics(NEW v1.07)
      • RPG Maker VX Tileset Support
      • Optimized for creating big maps and low draw calls for a good performance in smart devices
      • Edit in game or in Scene View
      • Changes in game mode saved
      • Animated tiles
      • Autotiles
      • Procedural map system to help you to start creating a map
      • Undo/Redo modifications
      • Export/Import map in xml format
      • Including a 2D pixel perfect camera to avoid artifacts due transform or zoom precision
      • Including player and enemy controller with support for RPG Maker Charsets
      • Fast collision systems based on tile type: wall, fence, block
      • Minimap generated automatically
      • And more features coming soon!
    • Credits:
      • Macks, for his awesome tileset
    New video showing vehicles!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Nytebyte11, Gozdek and Magiichan like this.
  2. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

ookay
    as a Rpg-Maker Pro, i've some Questions :D

1.)
    How many Layers are possible?

2.)
    Support for Shaders? (bumpmapping, fxaa?)

3.)
    How's collision working?

4.)
    Any chance to get RmXP Tilesets and Autotiles workable too?

5.)
    What world direction? (XY or XZ, or both?)

6.)
    Parallax System possible?

7.)
    What's the maximum Map size (RPG Maker has 500*500 Tiles)

8.)
    Possible to change the grid (using 16*16 or 8*8 or 96*96... etc)?

9.)
    What is the maximum tileset length, since the VX/VXAce Sets are extremely limited - and RMXP Sets can be of any height that's possible by PS.

10.)
    Autoshadow as in VXAce (i hope NOT!)

11.)
    Option to render the complete map as PNG in original size? (like mapbuilder scripts in RM)

12.)
    When writing a Mapexporter in RGSS, to export a RPG maker Map as TXT, would it be possible to import into that editor? i ask for project conversion :)

13.)
    Animated Autotiles are working too?

14.)
    Can the tilemap be readout by Api to ask for tile IDs, Terain_id, Region_id..etc?

Suggestion:
    Add a new Command - like
    Alt + Mouse = Disable Grid to place pixel based!

that's all for the moment ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  3. cg_destro

cg_destro

Very good sir :) I was doing something simmilar I mean game not editor :p

my sugestion:
    make option to select couple tiles and randomly choose from them, like 5 different floor tiles one normal and other with holes and damages, + ability to set how much those tiles will appear like clean tile 80% other 4 only 20 etc
    + random rotation tile, this could be also use for more randomization
    - option to place prefab in library so you can make more interactive objects like expploding barells, torches with particle and light attached etc.
    option to place object on layers, First layer, background, second plants, rocks on alpha, third clouds above everything or whatever, and you can lock layers to prevent them to be change
    - adjustable drawing circle/squere to quickly make bigger area, clean layers etc.
    - option to place object not only on tiles, especailly usefull for adding some detail and breaking repetitions
    - scatter tool with option to constrain to tiles and not :) and no overlaping option :)
    - option to drag select some object on layer and add them to library for later use

That's it for now :) great tool, good job! :)

4. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for checking my tool and for your questions. Some of them are very interesting features.
    I answer you below.

5. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Thanks for your questions :)
    I tried to avoid make a complex editor, so I didn't implement tools for filling or drawing shapes. It's quite fast to create a map copy/pasting map regions but I will include those tools in the future for people who likes them.
    About including prefabs in the library, it's something I would do in the future, but not yet, as that would be the next step and I have to think how to include that making the editor as simple as possible.
    About randomization of maps, I am working in some kind of level generation to start mapping in a pre-generated simple world, so you only need to add the decorations :)
    The option to drag and add the selection to a library could be a good idea. I will put that in my TODO list.

6. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I have added a video where you can see the asset working.

7. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Added a new video of starting and RPG game in 5 minutes. I hope you enjoy it.
    The asset is now being reviewed. I hope it will be available soon.

8. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Available Now!

Nytebyte11 and Rainbirth like this.
  9. Rainbirth

Rainbirth

Great Job!! will get it soon! :) it's perfect for a game I had in mind.

10. netravelr

netravelr

This looks like a great start for an asset.

The only error I could find in your demo is the bullets were placed over your overlay sprites when shooting down. I also had some collison issues where I was in the water and unable to get into the ground unless I moved right... but I think that may have to do with placing a tile under my character.

Is map data stored in an array of some sort? Is just collision? I'd like to have some kind of pathfinding involved for enemies in my project and I'm wondering how much of a hassle it would be to implement or something like that was on your road map for inclusion.

11. Guitario

Guitario

Im tempted to grab this asset.. It looks great btw!
    Im just wondering what are you planning on adding for future updates?

12. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Collisions depend on type of tile and could be wall, block, or fence. Only block tiles block shoots, so water ( with wall collision type ) and fences allow them to pass through. But, hills use walls collisions as well and there is that trespassing problem so some level design is needed to avoid that or a more complex collision detection in the bullet.
    For pathfinding, next update I will include an A* pathfinding, and I hope it will be soon.
    Also I have a list of improvements based on feedback send by people testing my asset or playing the demo.
    If you have any specific feature you would like to see, let me know.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  13. Exeneva

Exeneva

Is there an easy way to import RPG Maker VX Ace tilesets? I have VX Ace somewhere on my computer still, but haven't touched it in years.

Also, I hope you'll put this on sale sometime. I'm a bit strapped for cash and a sale would definitely get you a ton of exposure and probably more sales than at the current rate.

14. kilik128

kilik128

i have add to wish list
    A* pathfinding is not to big ? for somethink's like this
    vote for procedural map look more interessing
    maybie prefab block like house can be good to see

15. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes you can import RPG Maker VX Ace tileset easy. Check the documentation here and check "Creating Tileset" section. You only have to drag each tileset png to the right texture according to the suffix _A1, _A2, _B, _C, etc, and press generate atlas, and that's it.
    I want to put it on sale, but that depend on how many assets are in queue for the sale and I don't know when it will be my turn. I hope it will be soon, but meanwhile I am going to add a lot of features to make it worth what it costs and also I give all support I can to the people who ask me.

Answering kilik128 as well, I have already finished the new path finding feature and it will be available next week. I want add also vehicles for the next step, and I've seen a couple of thing that could be improved as well.

Here you can see some screenshots of current pathfinding system.

16. kilik128

kilik128

you have try it on mobile ?

17. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Yes, I tried it in Samsung Galaxy S2 and Lg g2 and it works perfect.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  18. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

Hope will be added the day/night time cycle , some easy way to add particle/light effect (adapted for this 2D style) and the possibility to add weather effects like rain/fog in an easy way (like in RPG maker), customizable according to the seasonal and some random parameters.

You also talked about the possibility to create in the future transportation machines like: car, ships and planes right?

When I'll see this things I'll take this asset as fast as I can, the price would be higher than a rpg maker but if you make it interesting with many additions would be worth it.

Cya later :D , I'll come back to see .

19. kilik128

kilik128

hi just for fun and see what's is possible
    i have try to save one brush as prefab
    it's look can do easy with little help please

any way to freeze edit at some position like where's player

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  20. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi,
    I am almost finished with path finding.
    Next will be vehicles (I hope it will be finished sooner than path finding)
    Then I will try something easy for prefabs, like save brush configuration pressing Ctrl + <number> and press <number> to load it.
    Then I was thinking about improving the documentation with use cases and tutorials.
    Cycle day/night it's tempting but it will take more time and I will keep this for later.

Exeneva likes this.
  21. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

The Path Finding System is finished!
    I have used 2 different heuristics ( Manhattan and Diagonal ) and coroutines to improve the performance.
    You can test it in the WebPlayer Demo !!!
    Now there is no escape from the zombie plants :D

screen14.png

AntFitch likes this.
  22. kilik128

kilik128

cool thank's if you can make sword attack on bullet with 0 speed working

23. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

But we can use own pathfinding solutions too?

Any news about a Rpg maker XP Tileset support?

Can you add some Features:
    • to make Mapshots of single layers. So we can use parallax mapping to add some blurring or other effects with photoshop - since your mapsystem doesn´t allow Mapshading ^^

• Allow to add single autotiles with more or less Frames too, and a way to adjust their speed. This would make mapping with RPG maker XP Autotiles possible (since i liked their animation system more than VX/Ace).

If you allow, i want to make some advertisment for this editor in our German RPG Maker Communities ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Exeneva likes this.
  24. kilik128

kilik128

what's we call Mapshading ? i have try add lighting effect and look can be do

25. AntFitch

AntFitch

You've just made my YEAR!!!

CreativeSpore likes this.
  26. vonchor

vonchor

This looks nice!! I've been trying to build something like this on top of a tile system currently sold on the asset store but it's a whopping big PITA. I'd much rather pay something than have to work it all out myself :)

I've got a few questions

1. Is complete source included? It appears to be but I'd just like to make sure. Too many projects on the asset store with absent devs and no source code available IMO.

2. Is there an API reference? It'd be nice to have one although its not a deal breaker right now.

3. In the vids it appears that you are making persistent edits during run time. Is that correct?

4. Is there a way to modify the map during play and save the map to a file then load it - i.e., persist the map to a file? I don't mind writing that myself if your underlying code can support getting the tile data. I guess you can see why I'd like an API reference... {Edit - I hadnt played the web demo yet so it seems as if one can do that. Great!}

thanks

V

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  27. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

I will add this to the list for future improvements ;)

28. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

1. Absolutely. Check the package content.
    2. Code is not fully documented, but next version will have a helper class with useful methods. I am working on this, but meanwhile I give support in case you want to make something specific, and the code is clean an commented so maybe it will be easy to understand at some points.
    3. Yes, you can decided to save changes or not during gameplay
    4. You can export maps to a compressed xml format and import them. Otherwise map is automatically saved and load from linked prefab during edition. And it supports getting the tile data also in case you need it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  29. vonchor

vonchor

That's great. I'm going to get it. [edit] I sent you a message via the form on your website. The asset store won't let me buy it because I have the unity 5 preview.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  30. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

New version with path finding integration has been released today!

31. kilik128

kilik128

so what's next: )

32. Ravanok7

Ravanok7

Hey, Can i use any tileset? Png wise? I have my own tileset i would like to use. Is this possible? (If i keep proportions 32x32 and stuff?)

Really Want to buy it but i want to use my own tilesets D:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  33. Peaceful-man

Peaceful-man

Thx for the info, very good work :D.

34. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Well, you can use any kind of tileset of course, but you need to have into account the next restrictions:
    The tileset is composed of 9 png textures with 32x32 tiles, let's call them A1, A2, ..A5, B, C, D, E.
    A1 to A4 are special ones, but A5, B, C, D, E are normal tileset and you can use yours. Only remember A5 should be 256x512 and B, C, D, E should be 512x512.

35. serious

serious

the second this goes on sale I will buy it. any update on where you are in the "sale queue"?

(I'm definitely not implying it isn't worth $45, I just can't afford that.)

Exeneva likes this.
  36. kilik128

kilik128

hi serious it's very complexe coding 45$ is very low price for profesional tool like him

so just for fun i have try change tile chunk with
    GameObject obj = (GameObject)Instantiate (Resources.Load("tile"),new Vector3 (px0, py0, TileLayer),Quaternion.identity );
    obj.GetComponent<SpriteRenderer>().sprite= MyAutoTileMap.Tileset.AutoTileSprites[spriteIdx];
    and result don't do it at home

37. kilik128

kilik128

i make little script for fix bot sprite animation

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    5. namespace CreativeSpore
    6. {
    7. public class Bot : MonoBehaviour {
    10. Vector3 lastpos;
    11. Vector3 velocity;
    12. public CharAnimationController m_animCtrl;
    15. // Use this for initialization
    16. void Start () {
    19. m_animCtrl = GetComponent<CharAnimationController>();
    21. }
    22. // Update is called once per frame
    23. void Update () {
    27. velocity = ( transform.position - lastpos) / Time.deltaTime;
    28. if (velocity.x > 0.1) {
    29. m_animCtrl.CurrentDir = CharAnimationController.eDir.RIGHT;
    30. } else if (velocity.x < -0.1) {
    33. m_animCtrl.CurrentDir = CharAnimationController.eDir.LEFT;
    34. } else if (velocity.y > 0.1) {
    37. m_animCtrl.CurrentDir = CharAnimationController.eDir.UP;
    38. } else if (velocity.y < -0.1) {
    41. m_animCtrl.CurrentDir = CharAnimationController.eDir.DOWN;
    42. }
    46. lastpos = transform.position;
    47. }
    52. }
    53. }

38. Sebane1

Sebane1

This is a great editor, though I managed to find a memory leak while editing tiles. Modifying large amounts of tiles ramps up the ram usage and ram is never released after the fact. As I design, the ram usage continues to increase. This is while using the in game map editor.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  39. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

It's not a memory leak but the Undo/Redo stack to allow undo and redo operations. If you press shift + Z you will see memory is decreased. I have in my TODO list, limit it to a maximum number of modifications, configurable by the user.

Exeneva likes this.
  40. Sebane1

Sebane1

So, based on what you've said, I tried to remedy the large memory usage by removing the undo/redo functionality via code and any sort of historic storage. Though, memory still goes up over time, and grows even faster the more changes I make.

As well (this is before I removed the undo/redo functionality, and TileAction array for history), holding shift + Z for an extended period of time (10 - 20 seconds) made Unity crash, saying that it "ran out of memory" after I had made significant map changes.

I decided to run a profiler on the tile engine, and Unity shows that mesh data is using more and more memory as I make changes. It appears as though each change (or group of changes, not sure how thats done) creates a new mesh instance. Of course, those instances no longer exist when I exit out of play mode, and of course, all changes I had made are still there. Unity isn't reporting much memory usage when it comes to script memory. Just mesh data. I first came across this bug when I was sending off a map editor build of my WIP game, and the people I sent it to were complaining that the map editor was killing their computers after 10 minutes of use. So far, I have no complaints with the Unity embedded editor.

Exeneva likes this.
  41. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Strange, but after some improvements maybe I did something wrong. I will check it later and fix it for next submission.

Exeneva likes this.
  42. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Ok, problem found and fixed. Change ApplyData method for this one:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public void ApplyData()
    3. {
    4.     m_meshFilter = GetComponent<MeshFilter>();
    5.     if( m_meshFilter == null )
    6.     {
    7.         m_meshFilter = transform.gameObject.AddComponent<MeshFilter>();
    8.     }
    10.     Mesh mesh;
    11.     if (!Application.isPlaying)
    12.     {
    13.         if (m_meshFilter.sharedMesh != null)
    14.         {
    15.             mesh = m_meshFilter.sharedMesh;
    16.         }
    17.         else
    18.         {
    19.             mesh = new Mesh();
    20.             m_meshFilter.mesh = mesh;
    21.         }
    22.     }
    23.     else
    24.     {
    25.         mesh = m_meshFilter.mesh;
    26.     }
    27.     mesh.Clear();
    29.     FillData();
    31.     mesh.vertices = m_vertices;
    32.     mesh.uv = m_uv;
    33.     mesh.triangles = m_triangles;
    34. }

43. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Soon the new version 1.1 of RPG Map Editor will be released with a new feature: Air & Sea Vehicles !!!
    Check it in the Web Player Demo and see the video about this new feature below.

Also, some other improvement and bug fixing was done:
    - Fixed memory leak when drawing tiles
    - Fixed waterfall animations
    - Fixed refresh map when clearing it from editor

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Exeneva likes this.
  44. NevaCross

NevaCross

This product is the best thing for our needs ever! I have been working in Unity for several years but also had a project started in RPG Maker VX Ace. I am in the process of writing a script to convert my maps from Ace. But I can not get my tile sets to import. I get an error message that they are 512x512 when they need to be 512x384. I checked and recreated them in photoshop but they still won't import. I am using the High Fantasy series of tilesets from RPG Maker and some of their other sets as well. Any ideas?

PS, Can't wait for the vehicle update! That is awesome!

45. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Hi there! I'm glad you liked it. If you need help with the map importer I can give you a hand. Send me an email to creativespore@gmail.com and I will give you full support.
    For the tileset problem, for 512x512 you have to attach the pngs to tilesets B, C, D and E. Tilesets A1, A2, A3, A4 and A5 have different sizes but less than that. Check the new updated documentation here with more info about how tilesets work.
    Next thing I will improve in the asset will be the limitations with tilesets to make it more flexible.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    NevaCross and Exeneva like this.
  46. Exeneva

Exeneva

Thanks for putting this on sale! Just what I was waiting for.

Now we await the feature requests to pour in from the new customers and see how the asset improves as a result.

cybervaldez likes this.
  47. CreativeSpore

CreativeSpore

Only for today, RPG Map Editor is 65% off. This is your opportunity for making that RPG game of your dreams.

You are welcome Exeneva :)

c-Row likes this.
  48. cybervaldez

cybervaldez

Finally! The wait is over :) 65% off is such a steal for an awesome project.

49. teh1archon

teh1archon

Can it be used to make random generated dungeons? Even if not "out of the box" can it be integrated with other systems?

Can this system support multi-player games (I have 0 knowledge about multiplayer in unity)?

cybervaldez likes this.
  50. gamescorpion

gamescorpion

@CreativeSpore: INCREDIBLE ASSET! And I code C# all the time and make games from scratch so I know how challenging putting all of this together can be. From one developer to another, I AM VERY VERY VERY impressed, This is an incredible job and you deserve massive sales for this product. Purchased instantly the moment I saw it, its a no brainer for RPG game devs. This really made me drool! GREAT WORK!

Exeneva likes this.