Search Unity

[RELEASED] Rock Factory

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DennisVH, Apr 5, 2014.

1. DennisVH

DennisVH

Official Rock Factory support thread.

Rock Factory is a component suite for procedural rock creation.

http://u3d.as/content/atomic-crew/rock-factory

Limited time introduction offer!

A simple landscape example (included):
    $Capture 800.png
    All rocks (including the tiny detail terrain meshes) are generated with Rock Factory.
    Most of the rocks have a LOD group. And the Rock Factory shader is used on all rocks in this example scene.

You can use your own materials on the generated rocks or you can use the included so called 'uber'-shader or super-shader.

Developer documentation, product overview can be found here: www.atomiccrew.com/rockfactory/

Version 1.02 (05-04-2014):
    - Assets cleanup
    - Included a Unity Free version of lake example
    - Fixed all warnings

Version 1.01 (26-03-2014):
    - Initial release

Owners manual available at http://bit.ly/1lEPVkr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    olix4242 and Magiichan like this.
  2. mas

mas

Looks great!

That will save us some time when modeling rocks.

3. QI

QI

It's great,I like it !!

4. DennisVH

DennisVH

5. DennisVH

DennisVH

I recently got an email with a question of a customer if it's possible to use rock factory to generate asteroids. The answer might benefit other customers of Rock Factory as well. So here's a copy:

At this moment you can actually get great results by adding an asteroid texture with a bumpmap to highlight the craters using your own shader or the rock factory shader.

Try setting the distance lower to generate more detailed geometry to get smoother rocks. You can reduce the total amount of triangles by sliding the contour lines to a smaller range.

This is a simple result using rock factory using only a standard bumped diffuse shader and a simple photoshop stamped bumped texture:

Settings used: [see attachment]

I only cloned the rock and pressed the randomize button to get a new asteroid.

asteroid_c.png asteroid bump.png asteroid diffuse.png

6. OzDave

OzDave

Floating Islands with Rock Factory ;)

rock_factory_islands.jpg

7. DennisVH

DennisVH

Nice OzDave!

Here's my attempt, using only rockfactory, some pro image effects, my own volumetric layered fog and some birds/free tree by unity and added the unity terrain system on top of the floating islands as a proof of concept with some grass on it.

floating2.PNG

OzDave likes this.
  8. ZJP

ZJP

Woo. Nice. A tutorial (to get this kind of result) from the OP will be usefull. :)

9. DennisVH

DennisVH

Community feedback and images are really awesome! This way as a developer I can grab the common needs and extend functionality where needed.:)

I'm also working on a manual for rock factory. I'm aiming for a couple of sheets to capture all essential building blocks inside Rock Factory without people needing to watch hours of video or read through a ton of details before they can tweak and modify some simple props. For now, just play around, study some of the examples and it won't be that hard to master.

Also version 1.4 was submitted yesterday and fixes a bug in the material editor and it adds a color tint in the shader (on popular request).:cool:

10. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks for the reply.
    I've looking for a while a solution that allow me to build Floating Islands. Very difficult for me : I'm a developer with no artistic talent. :p
    Waiting for your tutos.

11. OzDave

OzDave

That looks great Dennis, I do apologize for not replying until now.

12. DennisVH

DennisVH

New features in upcoming 1.05:

- Zoom factor for displacement maps.
    - Auto rebuild on all changes (togglable).
    - Taper deformation (strength and center for all three dimensions)
    - Taper curve (shape rock deformation using a curve)

13. DennisVH

DennisVH

14. exiguous

exiguous

Hey Dennis,
    very interesting product.
    How do you consider the chances to create the rocks procedurally on runtime? Possibly from some templates. This is not a feature request I'm just curious how much your package is tied to the Editor.
    Do I understand it right that your package does only generate the mesh and NOT the textures?
    How long you think the "limited time introduction offer" will remain? ;)
    Thanks.

15. DennisVH

DennisVH

The rock is created in its own class, the editor sliders and stuff are just a convenience to access all parameters. There is an API reference on the website under documentation. It also comes with full source, no plugins, no precompiled stuff. So you can digg in to change or expose whatever you like when needed.
    In one of the examples you can hit the random button, and it generates a new rock from code.

The package generates the mesh and NOT the textures. You can use your own textures, hand paint using the included template or use procedural textures from other sources. Some example textures are included.

The limited time introduction will last until the full moon casts a shadow of a large pointy rock into a roof hole of a large cave. A water creature will arise from the lake holding the pendant of limited-time-introductions. And it will be destroyed by a bolt of lightning exactly 13 days after the great flood... I have no idea when this is going to happen, but it will happen soon I've heard! ;)

16. banzai777

banzai777

When I try to use access the RFRock component to run the Rebuild() method, I get this error:
    This is my code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class Planet : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public Transform planetPrefab;
    8.     void Start () {
    9.         planetPrefab.GetComponent<RFRock>().Rebuild();
    10.     }
    12.     void Update () {
    13.     }
    14. }
    I'm sure the planetPrefab that I'm using has the RFRock script on it and I'm able to access other scripts and components without a problem. Any chance you could point out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

17. DennisVH

DennisVH

Rock Factory's RFRock class is in the RockFactory namespace.
    Put

using RockFactory;

at the top of your script or change your code to

planetPrefab.GetComponent<RockFactory.RFRock>().Rebuild();

18. banzai777

banzai777

Thanks! This is a great asset.

19. Mr_Albert

Mr_Albert

Demo online not working... update please!

( I will try it hehehe )

20. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

21. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

An alternative solution would be to let the user plug his own displacement texture algorithm.

22. DennisVH

DennisVH

Yes good one. You can alter the code already to do so by bypassing the texture generation and load it from the asset database, the sampler will take over from there. But a more user friendly option to have a custom option is a good solution I will consider implementing.

23. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Strongly considering a purchase here. Does this product still work on Unity 2018.3?

Also, is the Rock Shader available for use in rocks we create for our own third-party packs, or does it need to be replaced with one of our own to satisfy licensing terms?

24. DennisVH

DennisVH

If it doesn't work, I will make sure it will.

True, if you want to use it in your 3rd party packs you'll have to provide your own shader. Even reselling the generated meshes is a doubtful case license wise. You might get in contact with unity about that. When they're fine, I'm also fine with it.

CaliCoastReplay likes this.
  25. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Generally speaking Unity's license terms only prohibit using scripts (including shaders) from other packs, not generated geometry as best I know - hence, why you can sell your own ProBuilder obj's as long as they're exported first.

Thanks for the response! Your user manual is very compelling; nearly a whitepaper on the subject in fact.

26. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

I bought it! Thanks, your program makes very nice rocks out of the box even simply using the Unity Standard Shader.

C_p_H likes this.