Search Unity

[RELEASED] Rex Engine: A Unity 2D Platformer Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BeeZee, Jun 20, 2017.

1. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

Damn did you use Rex Engine for this? I take you made a lot of code variations if that was the case?

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. jeremyfryc

jeremyfryc

Congrats on the launch of the Kickstarter! Hope you guys meet your goal.

3. san40511

san40511

Rex Engine Deprecated - When will be fixed?

4. san40511

san40511

Hello everyone. I don't know i'm the only one who found this bug or not but i can't use rex palette. When i trying to add something from the list the object appeared but sprite is not rendered after building and it's no matter i'm changing it or not. Video of the bug

5. san40511

san40511

I don't know what is happened but i tried to create new project and moved old assets to the new project and now everything is working fine. Looks like it was internal unity bug

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  6. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

https://discord.gg/Htwrrxy I want to mod Rex Engine to add more features but im not fully sure how to do it. I have experimented a lot and i have figured out a few key things that this package is lacking if we approach this in a group we can solve a few features id argue is lacking

Overworld maps smw style if anyone is interested; i dont need this myself but this is retro enough where someone might like it

MetroidVania Minimaps (Important) ; i would imagine this is by far the most popular thing anyone will do with this mapwise

grappling hooks (important)

damage types (i can do this and have implemented this partially im thinking of adding a pokemon style type map for my next game

a built in feature to speed up music

projectiles that can spawn projectiles, while i was able to implement this partially by having an enemy that dies upon contact with a wall and that has an event to release the projectiles upon death, the problem with by using this method however is that these objects cannot have a non preset direction which is my primary problem with the current implementation. Were talking about projectiles with events, this can also make some pretty interesting weapons

a hollow knight style scene selector for fast travel, this can be used for a hollow knight style stag, a metroid prime 3 style ship (choosing planet/spaceport/ship), It would also be nice for a way to randomize this according to a few select options

pause menus?

Shops; buying items with "score" or currencies, perhaps multiple different types of score as well, this also includes soft locks which you can pay currency to get past on the map, like hollow knight gates and tolls, maybe a ship docking toll or perhaps ship/flight/taxi fee

A hollow knight style inventory

Metroid Prime style Boss keys, aka a sort of very rare currency or key that is used to open very specific areas. Keys in general are also nice but this is mostly to make gameplay more dynamic, these can be reskinned as a magical totems, books, legendary artifacts, Pieces for a weapon that can be created or crafted

i need a better explanation to change enemy controllers

a means of using the physics to change an enemies walk speed, jump speed

a means of scrolling through weapons with a mouse wheel and to use 1-9 for weapon selection as well as an option to decide which weapons will be used for this 1-9 through the inventory

charge shots of multiple weapons in an attack set, are melee charge strikes possible

metroid prime 1 and 2 style charge shot combos,

I want to turn rex engine into the premier metroidvania utility on unity

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/variabullet2d-projectile-system-152528 support for this as well

7. vizard00

vizard00

Hello guys , i want to assign a Particle as projectile , its works so far , but the destroy animation don't work , the destroy animation should activate a muzzle particle . any help please

8. conejo16

conejo16

What happend with the engine? is no more in the store

9. PhantomFox128

PhantomFox128

Hey, thanks so much for this! Also, real quick, I wanna apologize for my massive silence. Ended up getting two jobs that are eating all my free time.

Again, thank you!

10. skinny_

skinny_

Hey guys,
    does it mean that there won't be any support, when rex engine is deprecated?

11. PhantomFox128

PhantomFox128

I've been going through all the posts since I've been absent, and then I run into this. I feel like this might be the source of a bunch of problems I have, but I'm not sure. Could you possibly elaborate on it?
    All my sprites are hand drawn and made at a resolution of at least 2048 x 2048, with the height and/or width being bigger if needed, although in that case, more often than not, they're probably not divisible by 4 (usually I just need a slightly bigger canvas size on one side, so I expand it without really thinking about the dimensions). I tend to adjust the PPU for everything as well since I figured that it would allow to scale all sprites in an animation more consistently. Is this all something I shouldn't be doing?

jeremyfryc likes this.
  12. jeremyfryc

jeremyfryc

Hey, this is a good question. Must be a bug. I have noticed the exact same thing. Totally agree that it will end up being a huge hassle. Sorry I don't have a solution, but I can confirm it.

13. thenadamgoes

thenadamgoes

Opps I deleted my post cause I figured it out. I think it's a unity bug. So I'm just making my passthrough pieces with a 2D box collider instead of on the tilemap. It seems to work fine that way.

jeremyfryc likes this.
  14. jeremyfryc

jeremyfryc

Hey, no worries. I haven't checked the forum for a week or so myself. It's a good question -- for my point and click adventure game, all my sprites were also hand drawn. I created the game to play in 4K so, I wanted to maximize my sprite fidelity. However, I later learned that, if you don't compress your sprites, the file-size of your game will be HUGE when you build it. So, here's what you want to do:
    • Leave the PPU to the standard 100. There's no reason you should have to change it since your game is HD. This allows hand-drawn lines to remain consistent, leading to visual harmony in the artwork.
    • Since this is a platform game, I suggest you do some simple math -- figure out how many units your player covers. Let's say your player is 1024x1024. Well, with a PPU of 100, the player covers about 10 unit in height and 10 units in width. So, even if your terrain sprites are irregular shapes (like nature, grass, rocks, tree stumps, etc.) They should have a box collider that's divisible by 10x10 units. Even complex platformers like "Ori and the Blind Forest" follow this design concept. The terrain is very organic, but it loosely follows a grid. It adheres to a grid enough to communicate to the person playing the game "Oh yeah, I can make that jump". Matching a complex and HD art style to platforming gameplay is going to be a challenge in itself. It's going to be a very iterative process. You're likely going to spend hours on illustrating something, putting it into the game and then realize it doesn't work. It's OK. We all go through it. It's what makes HD platformers such a challenge.
    • For HD platformers, definitely use this: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/09/20/intro-to-2d-world-building-with-sprite-shape/ Should work with RexEngine, just make sure to place things on the right sorting-maps and layers.
    • Compress your sprites. Since you are creating sprites in HD, you absolutely have to compress your sprites. In order to do this, they MUST be divisible by 4 in both height and width. Does this mean that you may have to go back and resize a lot of sprites in photoshop or something? Yep! I've had to do this to. It stinks, takes forever, but now your game will actually be a decent file size and playable across different computers/devices.
    • How to compress sprites. Select one sprite (or several at the same time), select "Default". check the box labeled "Use Crunch Compression" turn the compressor quality to 30 or something. I found 30 to be an acceptable level of compression for HD images. Any more and the sprite compresses too much and loses crispness. (And yes, you are losing some crispness with compression. That's unavoidable, but take a look at "Ori and the Blind Forest" or "Rayman"... all those games compress their sprites, and close up, may not look super crisp.)
    • Now, compress for iOS if you want to launch on mobile. There should be 3 tabs for compression (maybe more), "Default", "A Computer image", and "iOS". Select "iOS", check the box labeled "Override for iOS", select "2048" (although, you may want 1024, since iOS devices have less processing power) and then select one of the options "RGB(A) Compressed ASTC" options. I like the 5x5 block. Doesn't look too bad. (NOTE: you won't see the image quality change to the iOS compression in the game until you go to "Build Settings" a switch to the iOS platform. Each time you switch platforms, Unity will go through all your assets, sprites, etc. and convert them to be able to be read by that new platform. This may take awhile each time you do it).
    I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

PhantomFox128 likes this.
  15. jeremyfryc

jeremyfryc

Hey, sorry the forum has been silent here... this a good question. In the video, when you select that sprite, notice that the Z position of the sprite is -33.00624. Change this to 0 (zero) and you should be all set. I've noticed that a lot of the Gimmicks in RexEngine, when created, have a negative Z position. Just reset everything to zero and place it where you want.

And if you ever create something from scratch and it's not rendering properly on the screen, whether the game is playing or not, check the following:
    • Is the sprite on the correct sorting layer?
    • Is the sprite on the correct number (order in layer)?
    • Is it on the correct "Layer"? (this is different from the sorting layer. It's located in the upper right on each object in the scene. For example, if you are creating a foreground object, it must be on both the "Foreground" layer AND the "Foreground" sorting layer).
    • Is the Z axis set to 0 (zero)?
    Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

san40511 likes this.
  16. tirkaroKujo

tirkaroKujo

for some reason the "MP/weapon energy restore" item/script multiplies the amount it restores by how many attacks the player has. I'm pretty sure this is a bug, but I'm still not sure how to fix it myself, and I'd like to not have to use way overinflated weapon energy numbers to work around this (alas, that's what I've been doing for now)

17. thenadamgoes

thenadamgoes

I wanted to use crouch/crouch walking as a gameplay mechanic to explore areas...but if I make a tunnel that the character can't walk through, but can crouch walk through...if I release the crouch button, the character stands up and gets stuck in the collision.

Am I missing something that makes them not stand up if there isn't room to stand up?

18. PhantomFox128

PhantomFox128

Thanks for info! Guess I got some editing to do then. Is there anything else that should be changed in the import settings? Things like Max Size, etc? Here's a quick screen grab of my current settings:
    spritesettings.png

19. thenadamgoes

thenadamgoes

So I just discovered the "Object Disabler" script in Rex Engine. And, I know it's silly, but this is kind of a game changer for me once I realized I can add it to bosses and make the bosses stay dead.

I'm wondering though, are there any other hidden scripts? (this wasn't that hidden, but in the demo it's only on the bolts as far as I can tell)

I'd particularly like a way to save the location of pushable blocks. I'm avoiding them now until I figure something out...but if I could just attach a script that saves their location like object disabler, that would be awesome!

20. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

So I just discovered the "Object Disabler" script in Rex Engine. And, I know it's silly, but this is kind of a game changer for me once I realized I can add it to bosses and make the bosses stay dead.

I'm wondering though, are there any other hidden scripts? (this wasn't that hidden, but in the demo it's only on the bolts as far as I can tell)

I'd particularly like a way to save the location of pushable blocks. I'm avoiding them now until I figure something out...but if I could just attach a script that saves their location like object disabler, that would be awesome!

lmfao ive actually started implementing my final boss unironically without actually figuring that out so im gonna heed your advice and do that. THX.

Attached Files:

jeremyfryc likes this.
  21. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

I know there is a health and an Magic Power Restore but the thing im trying to work on is to implement missile and health expansions. I have 232 rooms done as well as finally finishing the bosses for now. However the current problem would essentially give me a large amount of metroid style expansions to hide throughout the map

22. jeremyfryc

jeremyfryc

Hey! Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. Thanks for sharing that screenshot. I look good to me. I personally wouldn't change the PPU to 500. I would just leave everything at 100, since it's an HD game. Unless you have a really good reason otherwise. Also, click on the box where it says "Use Crunch Compression". Then adjust the compression to around 30 or so.

Also, for the selected sprite. How big is it? If it's over 1024, then use 2048 compression, if it's under 1024, then use 1024 compression. If you use 1024 compression on a sprite over 1024, it will overly blur. That's what I have found at least. It's not wrong, just doesn't look great. Does that help?

PhantomFox128 likes this.
  23. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

in order to implement health and mp powerups i have needed to add a bit more code which ive done if anyone wants my code i can send it

24. PhantomFox128

PhantomFox128

So, when it comes to scaling the sprites, is it best to just manually scale them or just not scale them at all? The reason why I used the PPU was to keep everything easily consistently scaled since the sprites always appeared massive when I put them in the game. Is that supposed to be normal? Should the camera just be zoomed way out instead?

Every sprite I've made so far is 2048 x 2048 at least. I remember reading that it's best to make sprites at double the resolution you're aiming for, so my noobish understanding figured that, since I wanted a game with at least a 1080p resolution, I should make everything double that. Of course I went for the closest number I could, but it has since become increasingly clear that this probably isn't the way to go about things. Any insight on that would be greatly appreciated!

25. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

im trying to make it so enemies drop stuff in an easy reproducible way

26. jeremyfryc

jeremyfryc

Hey, those are also good questions. I answered them in the two videos below:

Video 1: https://www.loom.com/share/d1c067f8235b46aeb8df96c2e1bd359a
    Video 2: https://www.loom.com/share/064a40cd750e41c8b8352faf20c7dd9f

In the first video, I talk about normal cameras in unity and I discuss sprite sizing. In the second video, I discuss the particulars of the RexEngine camera. I hope it helps!

Bagnol and PhantomFox128 like this.
  27. jeremyfryc

jeremyfryc

Good question -- first, create an enemy. Then make this enemy a prefab by dragging it into your project folder. Create a collectable (coin, gem, extra life, whatever), and make this collectable a prefab, again by dragging it into your project folder. Open the enemy prefab, and on the main enemy object (the one with the enemy script) add a "Drop Spawner" component. Then, drag the collectable prefab to where it says "Object to Spawn".

Now, when you drag that enemy prefab into the scene, it will drop that collectable when it is defeated. Does this help?

Bagnol likes this.
  28. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

ok its working now, ironically this was the last thing i decided to add besides maps, i unironically added in missile, hp expansions and all the rooms already so this was legit the last thing. However due to the map i think ill buy another engine just to use that feature and probably try hybridize the two if theres anything i really want to keep

29. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

i have a problem i modified the files below and i checked the default files but i am having a bug with my modified versions, whenever i collect hp except when i am invincible it hurts me to collect it

Attached Files:

30. PhantomFox128

PhantomFox128

Thanks for those! I think I only have a couple of questions for now.
    You've said to use 2048 compression if a sprite is over 1024, but what if it's potentially bigger than that? I've stated before that my sprites are at least 2048 x 2048, but looking back at them, that's not entirely true. A few sprites, such as anything crouch related, has a smaller height around 1300 or so, and a few others are bigger than that (I have a couple of attacks that are twice as big on the width). I also have an enemy that I messed up a bit when I made it and it's size is massive at over 6000 x 4000. What I'm wondering is, what kind of compression should I use for those sprites and, if need be, should I change a few them to be smaller, or will that not matter too much?

The other question I have has to do with the Sprite Shape. I was actually looking to use that to replace the current solution I have that's now unsupported, but I've read that Sprite Shape has, I think, a memory issue. I can't seem to make big platforms without my computer chugging, and it has crashed on me a few times. Granted, my PC is definitely not the best in the world and I'm way overdue for an upgrade, but still. Would you happen to know anything about that and, if so, how to fix it?

31. jeremyfryc

jeremyfryc

Hey, more good questions. Let me start with the latter question first -- I cannot speak directly to the SpriteShape asset. I haven't used it, but I can imagine how it would eat up memory. This is one of the reasons why you can have a 3D game with low-res textures, still look crisper than an HD hand-illustrated game. The illustrations rely on lines being clearly defined with no blurring, but 3D graphics just need crisp edges to the polygons, the quality of the textures is not nearly as crucial. Anyways, I digress... I dunno about SpriteShape, that may take some Googling.

About large textures, you definitely don't want to compress textures at 4096, because some machines cannot even load sprites/textures of that size. It will crash immediately. I would suggest one of two things;
    1. Cut the enemy into different parts. Legs, arms, body, and use a program like "Spine" to animate your character. Not sure how it will work with RexEngine though. It may work just fine!
    2. Reduce your sprite-sizes to fit in a maximum square of 2048x2048 when exporting them from Photoshop, Then, when you bring them into Unity, scale the sprite so that it is the size they should be. They may be a bit blurry very close up, but chance are, no one will notice in gameplay anyways.
    But, to be honest, the resolution that you are talking about seems like massive overkill. The reason that my point and click adventure game needs to be so high-res, is because the camera zooms in and out all the time. Like really far in. It's very different than a platform game. A 4K screen is 3840x3160. Even if your game was at that aspect ratio, and took up the entire screen.... you said an enemy is 6000x4000! That's WAYYYY too big. You can way reduce that by a lot. Take a look at how big some of the Hollow Moon sprites are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HollowKnight/comments/6m4kok/spoilers_game_sprite_sheets_and_textures/

They aren't that big and it plays wonderfully in HD. I created a 3840x3160 and drew a blob about the size of a platformer character standing up, and it only came in at 320x500. So, I don't see why you would ever need your player's sprites to be bigger than 500x500. You could still reduce that to about 300x300 and it would still look crisp.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Bagnol and PhantomFox128 like this.
  32. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

there are a few things i need for my game and i have no idea how to implement either for the most part
    saving and a menu
    fixing the health for some reason after some changes im having issues with the health i posted the files i had to modify above. The main thing i added was essentially the equivalent of metroid missile expansions and health containers however there is a problem. My problem is that now collecting health or missiles lowers the same amount of hp or missiles i take causing a net 0. While hp is able to overcome via the glitch isnt happening when im invincible but either way im looking for a solution https://discord.gg/ujYDbx if you want we can talk about a solution on my rexengine discord server

jeremy you got your pms disabled

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  33. PhantomFox128

PhantomFox128

So, if I'm understanding this right, would it be best to simply reduce the size of the sprites in the art program I'm using? And if so, what's a good size to do it at? I probably should have mentioned that I've been making the game with PC and consoles in mind with a max resolution of 1080p (No 4K, although I believe I've made most sprites at that resolution just in case). I have no plans to put it on mobile. Also, can using the Max Size option in the import settings help at all?

I also want to give some attention to this thread, in which a user states that sprites should be made as big as possible, which is basically why I've been doing what I'm doing: https://forum.unity.com/threads/what-resolution-should-i-be-painting-sprites-in.225845/

Thanks so much for all the advice so far!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  34. kdgalla

kdgalla

Just follow the simple common-sense rule: Basically you want the sprites just as big as they will appear on the screen. So (for example) if you're max resolution is 1080p (1920x1080) and you want the character 1/10 as wide as the screen, make it 192px wide. If you're not making a pixel-perfect game you don't even have to be precise- you can just ballpark it. Make sure you set your ppu and camera ortho-size accordingly.

Also, Save a hi-res version outside of your project so that you can re-sample it in case you need to.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    PhantomFox128 and jeremyfryc like this.
  35. realitywhoneedsit

realitywhoneedsit

Maybe someone could gather all the little script edits people have done in one place like a google doc. Tom_Bombadil's layer mask is a good one, and someone else had a rough ladder edit that allowed for 8 way movement between multiple ladders, if you search for ladder and 8 way i think you'll find it in this thread.

Now here's a long post referencing lots of little notes I've taken over the months abt various problems or changes I'd like, since we're talking about advancements we'd like to see, here are some fantasy bounties of sorts that members of the community could target.

A real advancement would be an expansion of user Tom_Bombadil's layer mask system
    [RELEASED] Rex Engine: A Unity 2D Platformer Engine
    Which works only in some specific cases, but the dream would be any object treating any other object like any layer it wants to. For example I'm currently looking for a way that only one specific character can treat all enemies on a layer as pass-through, so they can use them as platforms, while other characters wouldn't have this quirk. Objects that treat only other specific objects as Pushable would be a nice use case. It's cool when you make projectiles spawn on the Pushable layer and they start flying off of each other, but not so cool when they start pushing around the player and things you don't want. This probably gets very complicated the more rexphysics gets involved.

I've been playing with circular moving platforms and it's a shame that when you turn off terrain collision they stop working entirely, because I can think of lots of instances where you'd want a physics mover type platform to be agnostic to terrain.

I've been using a modified water script to slap onto objects just to change the characters controller when they touch them, but this whole system could be expanded to anything. I will try to tinker with this but what I'd like is an easy way for the players controller to change depending on what they're currently touching. In default rex i think it's limited to just a water layer.

an AI system that can react to projectiles and objects that aren't currently spawned is something I'd mentioned before. I think this could open the door to huge possibilities. The AI system is my favorite thing about Rex hands down, almost every cool thing I've done in rex is with the AI, and any expansions on it no matter how esoteric would have resounding effects on gameplay because the AI is just that useful.

Enemy spawning has proved troublesome for me. My goal is to have monsters advertise when they're spawning, by playing a 2 second long animation that is inert, non moving and non-interactable. Only after that's over do I want them to drop in. On-Spawn animations aren't quite working for me either, but I'll need to go investigate this further to see if I'm missing something.

Player swapping always has led to some errors for me, I keep pushing it back while I work on other things. Right now, when I swap players the camera stops following the new player. Feels like I'm missing something easy here. Sometimes I can swap if I hit the trigger while on the ground, but if I hit it in the air the new character freezes. Sometimes I can swap to a character but swapping back is what freezes the character.

Ladders are not so elegant, at least if you want to be nuanced with them. I was using very narrow colliders on ladders so that there is no hard camera snap when you latch onto one, because that's the thing that drives me crazy. However this means when you get to the top of one you have almost no room to move on top of it. Being able to 'jump' up a ladder and disengage from a ladder with a direction input would also

Speaking of being able to jump, can you jump in water? I seem to remember not being able to do this even when the water controller had jump enabled. I'm guessing its something to do with not using gravity and being able to move vertically. Even with these settings I think a way to 'jump' would be nice, even if it's faking it and is more of a vertical air-dash, which is what I ended up doing in that scenario.

I've had a very consistent problem where when you jump up through a monster that is bounce-able, usually glancing the corner of their collider, you get a 'super-bounce'. it happens very often in my game where there is no knock-back so you can overlap enemies as much as you want. some kind of check that the player's Y position was above the enemy in the frames prior might be a method so solve that, but that's a little beyond my knowledge to implement.

there was a problem I was having where I wanted players to be able to continue a jump even if they bonked the ceiling but were able to keep moving around the corner. basically i added this line on BaseJumpState, line 223
    if(controller.slots.physicsObject.DidHitCeilingThisFrame() && currentJumpFrame <= 2)
    {
    currentJumpFrame --;
    }
    that means if you're in a tight corridor and you try to jump around a corner, it will keep your number of jump frames down so that you don't successfully clear the corner but lose all your height because you ran out of frames rubbing against the ceiling. It's set to <=2 because I only wanted this to trigger in the very early frames of a jump, such as when the ceiling's right above your head. A pretty nuanced thing but it solved a big problem in the kind of game i'm making.

If you are on a different height level while you're pulling a block, and that block touches a wall, the block will stop but your character will keep pulling. If you stop pulling and start pushing, you will push the block no matter how far away you are from it.

Projectiles that can spawn on different layers with different tags would be fantastic. You can go in and edit this in the projectile.cs code, look for "gameobject.tag:projectile gameObject.layer:Default", and change it to whatever you want. This is necessary if you want stuff like summoning projectiles and blocks you can stand on top of. However this should be a selectable thing.

Specific sounds associated with Landing Stun and opening Doors would be a good idea. I've edited these things in if anyone wants the code. There are probably more sound situations I'm missing that would be nice to have more control of.

Doors that act like teleports that warp you to different coordinates in the same scene, without unloading and loading the scene again would be neat.

playing with dashStartDirection.y on the dash script is fun. I have a really nice feeling dash that moves the character in like a 12 degree angle. Would be nice if that were a variable you could edit in the gui.

having ability to dash down or diagonal down + pressing dash and jump at same time, pushes you right through terrain. So reliably that it could be some kind of weird mechanic on its own.

And in general, any expansion that has to do with persistence in equipment, inventory, ability gathering, shops, rudimentary save systems, event flags, even basic rpg/adventure mechanics in the vein of zelda, would be amazing, though these would be some of the most major endeavors.

36. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

i need some advice on how to fix the health my current idea of a fix is to simply copy all of the code involving the hp powerups and implementing it a second time as a slightly different script as long as it works

37. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

after i uninstalled platformer pro i sort of had been having problems... any idea how to fix? upload_2020-9-2_0-11-21.png technically its only two errors but i have no idea how to fix them and they make the game unplayable

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  38. realitywhoneedsit

realitywhoneedsit

I can't seem to edit my last post, but to add a couple ideas - A way to randomize and manipulate movement speed on enemies is something I've seen people request before. Right now I think you only can do a physics event and change an actor's velocity which is a different thing altogether. I'm all for throwing in as many variables into the AI as possible.

39. Bagnol

Bagnol

Installing multiple template assets like Rex and Platformer Pro together is generally not a great idea unless you have in depth knowledge of how each is set up. They'll generally import their own Project Settings files which will overwrite your existing ones - and unfortunately those files are in charge of things like input, layers and tags. It looks like Platformer Pro has overwritten some important settings.

Back up your project before trying any of this.

If you hadn't changed any major settings like input, layers, tags etc. you might be able to just reimport Rex's Project Settings files - just make sure the actual asset files aren't imported. This is done by unchecking the box beside the root RexEngine folder when importing the asset so that only the ProjectSettings are imported - which shouldn't affect any of Rex's actual scripts, prefabs or other files that you've modified.

Attached Files:

40. Bagnol

Bagnol

What exactly are you trying to modify the health system to do?

41. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

i added health expansions of 10 , and magic power expansions of 5. The current problem i have however is that i had to mess with the files to create this and now every time i collect an hp drop to heal the player it hurts the player before it heals them

42. Bagnol

Bagnol

Is it necessary to modify the files? Changing the Amount value on the Weapon Energy Powerup script should be all you need to do. Or is it something else you're trying to do?

43. ShirohelmDev

ShirohelmDev

i needed to make something that set the health max to a value higher as well. My main issue is saving and minimaps

44. PhantomFox128

PhantomFox128

I've been digging deeper into sprite scaling/optimization and at this point the only question I think I have is, if I'm keeping everything at the default PPU, how should I go about scaling things then? Should I scale them down in the art program I use or use the Transform component? Someone told me not to use the Transform, but then someone else told me it's okay to use it, so I'm lost there.

Part of what I'm concerned about is that, if I keep everything at the same PPU, then by default, everything will be at the same size as my player, which is something I don't want (some things like enemies or environment objects should be bigger or smaller for example). What would be the best way to go about this? I haven't really been developing much lately because I'd hate to do a bunch of work on it only to have to go back and change a bunch of stuff because I didn't do something right the first time.

45. clammy2017

clammy2017

Just tried the Platformer Pro demo.

Im sure it's a great asset, but the demo makes it look shocking.

floaty controls, awful collision, floaty jumps, game crashes on game over, etc etc.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  46. denisnasi

denisnasi

Hi , I need help from all of you in the forum if possible guys..
    I wanted to buy rex engine in unity for my 2d game but has been removed from the unity store.
    I was planing to build my game and start with rex engine but the plan is ruined now for me
    IS THERE ANY WAY to Downloaded in any website or to buy somewhere else ??
    I have found a version online for free but is version 1.03

Thanks in advance

47. clammy2017

clammy2017

And they roaches start to appear, all trying to get something for nothing.

48. Bagnol

Bagnol

@clammy2017 That's kind of unnecessary, don't you think?

@denisnasi Unfortunately we aren't able to offer a solution here - BeeZee is the only person who'd be able to authorise any other way to get a copy.

49. denisnasi

denisnasi

@clammy2017 what are you saying? I want to buy it and I am asking if it is available elsewhere.

@Bagnol thank you , yes I understand.

50. san40511

san40511

Hey guys . Who needs code on easy mobile pro. I have one for you:
    ASV-4NA6-YFN4-QXEA-EDX6-WQVC
    Please let me know when you redeem it. I will delete the message

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020