Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Rex Engine: A Unity 2D Platformer Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BeeZee, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Do you have some example objects that use the new projectiles?

I don't see where I can activate them

2. BeeZee

BeeZee

All the new projectile stuff is under the Projectiles component. The easiest way to play with it in the demo areas will be to edit the Pellet Shot, under RexEngine > Resources > Projectiles > PelletShot, since this is the projectile the demo gives to the player (although you can of course also use these options on any existing projectile or create new ones.)

Some of my favorite things here are that you can make projectiles ricochet off of terrain and toggle that independently for collisions on each side, you can give them acceleration, and you can give them the ability to change directions after moving in one direction for a set number of frames. They'll also respond to the useGravity setting under RexPhysics now, which is useful if you want the projectile to fall or to respond to reversing gravity.

There's documentation on all the new options here: http://www.skytyrannosaur.com/rexengine-documentation-projectile/

This is something I'm planning on doing a larger tutorial on at some point, as well.

andreiagmu likes this.
  3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Ok thanks, There is one thing with the wrench attack, if pressing wrench attach repeatedly after eachother and change the direction from left to right the wrenchdirection stays the same, and he's doing a moonwalk.

4. BeeZee

BeeZee

That's an option in the settings for the Attack component. You can change it for the Player under:

Player > Attacks > Melee, and in the Inspector on the Attack component, look for Actions Allowed During Attack > Turning and toggle that to On. There are a lot of games (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for example) that will lock you into a direction or prevent you from moving during attacks, so I wanted to be sure those options existed in Rex.

andreiagmu likes this.
  5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Ok nice thanks, I thought it may be intentional! good to know

Another topic:

in Line 105 in DialogueManager.cs
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(2.5f);

Can you make this variable public?, I like to decrease the wait time for dialogs

( I can change the script, just easier for updates )

BeeZee likes this.
  6. BeeZee

BeeZee

This is a good idea! I have plans to expand the dialogue system a lot at some point, but I'm prioritizing it behind a lot of the other core action-related mechanics for now. I can make this public pretty easily, though, so I'll plan that for the next update.

7. Gearhouse-games

Gearhouse-games

Thanks so much that is very kind of you! PM sent. Also yes that is exactly what i meant about a power system. Im wanting a system that uses 'power' for all attacks beside your basic attack.

BeeZee likes this.
  8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes would love projectile weapons that can deplete, like in Castlevania SOTN and Super Metroid with the missiles.
    Castlevanina uses a more unified ammo system and super metroid you need to find specific missiles to fill them each.

and a Minimap like those games have would also be awesome. I guess thats a whole lot of things todo, so yea I understand to focus first on the basic player stuff.

andreiagmu and BeeZee like this.
  9. BeeZee

BeeZee

Okay, so what I'm gonna do is upload a version of the project with both shields and a sub-attack that uses weapon energy. I might refine it a bit before submitting it to Unity, so if you guys have any feedback, feel free to let me know. I'll get you links tonight.

10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I would love to have the system that castlevania uses with the hearts, that allow the player to use items, some use more hearts others use only one.

Only it would not be hearts but some other icon.
    Hearth is too confusing for new players, because It looks like lifes.

11. BeeZee

BeeZee

Check your PM's, Lars and Gearhouse. You've got some new features waiting for you. :D

If anyone else already has a copy of Rex and wants to check out shields and consumable weapon energy, lemme know and I can send the beta your way.

Good news -- you can do that with this latest beta! And not to give too much away, but there will be an especially Castlevania-related surprise coming in the near future.

12. hodgepodge2022

hodgepodge2022

I purchased this asset the other day and I'm still awestruck by it.

I do have a few suggestions however for its future that are all doable by an indie dev team.

My first suggestion is to have some kind of simple event system that works with the direction of the engine. Done well, could take care of many commonly requested features. A good working example of this is Platformer Pro's system for this. More details on it can be found here:https://jnamobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/sections/200913770-Triggers-and-Event-Responders Basically, you could use this as inspiration to create a system that could easily expand already existing features and allow users to create new ones without any custom script.

A few examples of this would be:
    1. Allow the player to simply either touch a key or press a switch to open a door or move an important block in a scene.
    2. Expand your work with the gravity switch trigger to occur in a zone, allow the player to customize the float variable in the inspect for the gravity for x and y so they can use it to function like the wind would in their game world.
    3. Allow DialoguePopup to be used on a friendly NPC to use as a hint or make that dialogue activate on a block hit/switch depression.

Hopefully, this provides to be useful to you. I will probably do another small write up on a few more simple things I would like to see changed with scripts to make them more flexible and exciting to your existing and future users when the time is right.

I can think of three obviously useful changes the top of my head

1. MaxHP/MP consumable: EnergyPowerup.cs & Energy.cs should be changed to allow the easy creation of a consumable maxHP/MP and also update the UI to work with the ability to gain max HP for an actor. This should be achievable by adding a Cap public int on Energy to allow a hard limit to the amount of Max HP than simply adding the needed enum and code to EnergyPowerup. Then, all you would need to do is update the backing on PlayerHP under UI when MaxHP is updated.

2. DashState.cs update: Allow a vertical and sidewise directional on the dash and allow users to assign attack options so users can do things like replicate butt slams from Yoshi Island or have their actors dash like in that 16-bit Sparkster/Rocket knight games.

3. 8-way climb on ladder.cs: Self-explanator, yet another classic platformer feature from Mario world.

Again, I'm super impressed with what you have so far and I know that in due time this asset will only get better. Sorry for the long-write up. If you ever want me to test something or critique a new feature (The new 1.03 ones are all great) let me know.

Rick-Kercz and BeeZee like this.
  13. BeeZee

BeeZee

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm strongly considering all of this. I'd love to get Yoshi's Island and Rocket Knight moves in there (I'll go on record saying Rocket Knight Adventures is a top-5 game of all time for me!) Ditto for upgradeable HP/MP and 8-way climbing.

A more robust events system is something I've been considering for a while as well, and I've been testing some things out for it. I should have something more concrete to report on it in the near-ish future!

hodgepodge2022 likes this.
  14. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And please consider some Playmaker actions, that makes things so easy

15. Rick-Kercz

Rick-Kercz

Hi there
    I just purchased the Rex Engine. The product looks really nice at first glance.
    Question: It looks like there is no top level persistent camera? Would you please advise how I would use something like Post Processing across all scenes.
    Thanks

BeeZee likes this.
  16. BeeZee

BeeZee

Thanks for grabbing Rex and for the kind words!

The cameras are under RexEngine > Resources > System > Cameras. They get loaded in dynamically via the Setup object that goes on the stage in every scene; I set up a lot of stuff in Rex to be loaded in this way so that you don't have to worry about putting it in every scene, and so it's all easy to update from one place. Feel free to edit any of the cameras attached to the Cameras prefab, and apply the prefab, and you should be good to go!

Rick-Kercz likes this.
  17. BeeZee

BeeZee

Shields in action! One of my favorite things about this is that enemies can use them, too.

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

BeeZee likes this.
  19. BeeZee

BeeZee

20. kitsune9000

kitsune9000

Hi everyone - just got this tool myself and also finding it very powerful and polished. I am trying to set up some more advanced enemy AI, such as following the player, and throwing a knife/hachet/rock in an arc (not straight like a laser) --- EDIT: I figured out how to change some movement patterns! I went to Enemy AI and you can change things on the Enemy AI such as if movement is on the x axis or neutral, jumping on ledges, and using player or other Transforms as a target. NOW I just want to add some unique behaviors, like jumping up in the air, staying there, shooting a fireball and hitting the ground and having it shake. Would love to know how easy/hard something like that will be to add.

Also, I seem to be having a little bit of a problem with my custom player, allowing the Player to use the red buttons like in the tutorials to add abilities. I can't exactly set up the water properly either. Anyone who knows what I could be doing wrong on those two fronts, I am open to learning.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    BeeZee likes this.
  21. BeeZee

BeeZee

Heya, that should be pretty easy with some mild scripting. For hovering, for example, you can set the gravity on any actor, so you could do something like this in your enemy script:

private IEnumerator JumpAttackCoroutine()
    {
    jumpState.Begin(); //Jumps
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.5f); //Wait until partway up the jump

slots.physicsObject.freezeMovementY = true; //Stop the enemy from falling
    attack.Begin(); //Launch fireball
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.5f); //Hover a bit longer

slots.physicsObject.freezeMovementY = false; //Allow the enemy to fall again
    }

For your enemy script, you'd want to extend the Enemy.cs class, which will give you access to all the functionality you'll need to make this work.

To throw a projectile in an arc, you can set its RexPhysics to use gravity in the Inspector, under RexPhysics > Gravity Settings > Uses Gravity. That will allow it to fall after its initial impulse, which should give you a nice arc.

For swimming, RexActors (like Booster in the demo) have a category in their Inspector settings called "Water Properties." There's an option there called "Will Change Controller In Water," as well as slots for "Land Controller" and "Water Controller." Those slots accept RexControllers, and this setting makes the Water one automatically activate when the actor touches a collider with a "Water.cs" component on it. You can see this in action in the Demo_8 scene, on the player.

For the red buttons, the one thing that comes to mind offhand is that I built them to respond to actors performing a Bounce on them, meaning they need a BounceState component for the button to work.

22. hodgepodge2022

hodgepodge2022

How hard do you think will it be to create specific animations an animation that plays for the player after he jumps on an enemies head or an enemy that does a certain animation after he bumps into the player? I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to script, but I haven't gotten my hands dirty enough to know what script changes need to be made.

Also, can we expect a soft roadmap soon or next version report? I don't believe in hard dates, but I do highly appreciate it when I learn what is in the works so I can focus more on my unique additional features that aren't expected in the engine soon.

BeeZee likes this.
  23. BeeZee

BeeZee

Interestingly, there's MEANT to be an easy way to make the player play a specific "Bounce" animation: the BounceState component has an "Animation" slot, where you can drag an AnimationClip which should automatically play when they bounce on something. I was just doing some testing now, however, and I discovered it's bugged! My apologies, and thanks for prompting me to investigate this. I'll submit a fix with the next version.

I'll also include a method in the next update that lets you easily play a unique animation when something bumps into something else. This is already pretty doable, but the biggest challenge is that the RexController will try to override animations with whatever animation should be playing at the moment for the actor's state -- jumping, standing, moving, etc. I'll include an easy way to tell it not to do that while another animation plays.

I like to keep the overall roadmap pretty flexible, because that lets me respond more quickly to what people are asking for at the time. The next update is pretty well underway, though, and I've got its features mostly solidified, so I can give you details on it. It focuses heavily on enemy AI, so you can make enemies smarter and do things like change their AI routines in response to events. It's also very likely to include objects for spawning enemies, and spawning them at intervals and such.

hodgepodge2022 and Rick-Kercz like this.
  24. hodgepodge2022

hodgepodge2022

Excellent, any chance for any additional small features like the Max HP consumable with health bar UI update?

Also, is there a built in way to check if an item/skill has been acquired between scenes so you can create a metroidvania? For instance set it so a previously collected 1 up or chicken wont respawn when the scene is returned to. I'm pretty sure there was.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    BeeZee likes this.
  25. BeeZee

BeeZee

Yup, the former will happen soon!

For checking if items have been acquired, you'll need to do some very minor scripting, but it's pretty simple. The demo uses a simple data class to track this exact thing, and you can use that as a template; check out DataManager.cs. It has Save(), Load(), and ResetData() functions, which track the abilities the player has earned in the demo.

26. hodgepodge2022

hodgepodge2022

Ah, I should apologize for being unclear. What I meant was if you could easily set scenes up so you could go back and forth between two scenes and it would set collected items to be disabled if set collected.

The demo does indeed track and save abilities, however, the demo intentionally does not allow you to return to bonus rooms or ability switch with 1-up since the demo doesn't track what item pick-ups the player collects or if the switch is in down position due to the player hitting it.

It's certainly isn't too difficult to do some custom scripting to resolve this issue, but do you think it would be difficult to add a component or option to make it so these function can be done in the inspector and scene editor?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    BeeZee likes this.
  27. BeeZee

BeeZee

Hm... that's definitely something I'd like to do, and I've been considering it for a while. I have some ideas. I'll try to get something in there for a near-future update.

28. BeeZee

BeeZee

Adding some improvements to the dialogue system. You can now fade in letters one-by-one:

29. BeeZee

BeeZee

Just uploaded a tutorial video. This is part one of a multi-part series that covers setting up a game to play like Super Mario Bros. This one covers the player and setting up their basic movement; the next part will detail adding an enemy, item blocks, and more!

30. kitsune9000

kitsune9000

Quick question. I am trying to set up melee attacks but I can't figure out how to remove the wrench. I am just doing a street fighter style punch attack, and I didn't necessarily want to use the wrench. I've looked everywhere for it. Maybe I will have a second weapon later on, so I'd like to find out how to manipulate the corresponding sprites that work in the melee system.

Thanks.

BeeZee likes this.
  31. BeeZee

BeeZee

You can add new attacks to an actor from this menu:

Alternatively, you can simply copy an existing Attack GameObject. On the Player, I organized all of the attacks under a parent "Attacks" object; this is just done for easier visibility, so it's up to you if you want to organize things in the same way.

As seen in the above image, I added a new attack to the Player here, called "Melee_New." It's just a red version of the wrench, here, but it could be anything you wanted it to be.

An Attack component has its own Animator, and its own SpriteRenderer, as seen in the above image. You can give it its own art and animations that way. You'll also see two fields on the right: Actor Animations and Attack Animations. "Actor Animations" refer to the animation the actor itself will play when the attack is performed; for example, here, these are animations of Booster swinging his arm. "Attack Animations" refer to the animations the *attack* will perform; here, that means they're animations *of the wrench itself.* When expanded, you'll see that those fields have slots for animations that will play in different circumstances, such as if you attack while standing, jumping, or walking. All you should have to do is slot the appropriate Animation Clip, and it should play automatically when you trigger the attack. This is the same general idea as how you assign animations to actors themselves, to keep everything uniform.

I also circled the "Is Enabled" checkbox for the Attack. You'll want to make sure your new punch attack has Is Enabled set to true, and that you either remove the old wrench attack or set Is Enabled to false for it, so you don't end up triggering two attacks at once.

There are a ton of other options on the Attack component, as well. You can change the size of the BoxCollider2D component to anything you'd like. You can set what actions you're allowed to initiate the attack from, or what actions the attack will cancel when it's performed. You can give the attack cooldown frames, to limit how often it can be performed. You can set the amount of damage it does, under the "Contact Damage" component on the same object as the Attack component. There's tons of other stuff here, so I'll let you explore it at your own pace.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions about Attacks. I'll plan to do a video for these soon, as well.

Rick-Kercz likes this.
  32. BeeZee

BeeZee

Got a new tutorial video. This one is on setting up a new enemy and giving it some basic movement.

Rick-Kercz and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  33. BeeZee

BeeZee

Got a big Halloween update coming soon! It includes a ton of Castlevania-inspired features, including this Stopwatch powerup, which freezes enemies dead in their tracks when you touch it. It can be fully customized however you like, including setting the duration it lasts and changing what actors get frozen. You can even make it freeze the player that touches it, if that's a thing you're into for some reason. Naturally, the core tech here -- freezing time for individual actors -- is easily exposed in the code, so if you want to modify it for any other purpose (say, casting a spell that freezes its target in place), the option is yours.

34. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

nice update, It would be cool
    if the freeze also has a gravity on option
    so the enemy cant move but it still falls down until it hits the ground

BeeZee likes this.
  35. kitsune9000

kitsune9000

Hello! I have been reading questions on this thread but today I am just coming by to say how much I am enjoying the engine! My biggest dilemma at the moment is figuring out what fun and interesting things I should be adding to my game, because now you're adding Castlevania elements, and I feel like I should do something with that :'D

Anyway, any plans to do the castlevania style whip? One thing I was throwing-around but not completely sure how to do was either a.) have a crude inventory when I can collect a whip, change it for a gun, or change to my bare fists... or b.)have an impermanent item collection that is more like Mario, so that what I collect, I have to use - like the shell I pick up off the ground and have to throw right away.

Either or those would be interesting but I am not entirely sure how I would implement them, or if there is a system in place for switching items (I guess it could be almost like adding and taking away powers in the case of impermanent items)...

Any basic thoughts on this, anyone?

BeeZee likes this.
  36. BeeZee

BeeZee

I do indeed have plans for a Castlevania-style whip, where you can upgrade it in increments. I haven't 100% settled on the implementation yet. I like to make new features applicable to a wide variety of situations, so it'll be less "this is the exact Castlevania whip" and more "this is a system that lets you upgrade powerups/your weapon/powerup drops in increments." That way, people can use it in different ways.

I'm still debating putting in an actual inventory management screen. It's a cool idea, but it's such a broad topic that I sometimes think it might be more useful to make a tutorial on *how* to implement inventory management, rather than trying to make a full system for it and then pigeonholing everyone's inventory into it.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on that front, I'd love to hear them!

Rick-Kercz and hodgepodge2022 like this.
  37. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think the inventory systems can be done easily with playmaker, its easy to manage that way.

But basic items that can be picked up you can do that i guess

And please if you have time, look at the input manager incontrol, I can't figure out how to control rex from script.
    I have a playmaker script from incontrol that takes the input and i can change a variable accordingly. I just can't get rex to read the variable to control the rex input

Thanks

BeeZee likes this.
  38. kitsune9000

kitsune9000

@Lars-Steenhoff TBH, I prefer manual coding over playmaker. Especially when integrating into someone else's code, I'd rather just not let things get out of hand trying to use a plug-in on top of someone else's framework.

And yes, I would LOVE to see some kind of detailed tutorial on making an inventory. In Axiom Verge, for example, there are tons of guns to pick up. I was thinking of being able to do an inventory like that, where you can open the Inventory and pick which gun you're using. I just found that system to be extremely easy to use. You gain and item, it shows in the most basic of UIs, you can pick which item you want to use between two or more, either being consumed or permanent.

If you DO decide to do a tutorial of any kind, I may be pushing it by asking, but a little pop up shop where you can buy power-ups (Aladdin, Guacamele, for example) might be part of that. I don't want to get overwhelming with suggestions, but since it's just a thought, a system of spending coins to upgrade health or power is fun and popular in a lot of today's platformers. It does impact the inventory situation so please consider the most basic quick tutorial video on these integrations!

EDIT----QUICK QUESTION***
    If I want to make a very specific enemy from scratch, with a series of unique behaviors, should I use the Blank Enemy Template or would it be better to just script my enemy and add the relevant Rex scripts? All I want to really be sure of is that the enemy uses the Rex health script and can damage the player through the Rex engine system. I am doing a bit of a Contra thing where the enemy cycles through one animation, then does a different one, then a different one. Shoots out some unique bullets, stomps around, morphs and changes into something scary. Just want to know which of the two options is right for me as the pre-build scripts and enemies are actually very flexible and great, though it might be easier one way over the other.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    BeeZee and hodgepodge2022 like this.
  39. BeeZee

BeeZee

I'd use the Blank Enemy template, and then remove the "Enemy" script from it. You can make a new script which extends Enemy.cs for your new enemy, and then put that on the enemy GameObject in place of the old Enemy script. From there, there's a menu option in Tools > Rex Engine > Fill RexActor Slots, which will auto-slot everything into your new Enemy-extending script.

kitsune9000 likes this.
  40. kitsune9000

kitsune9000

@BeeZee Very helpful. Thanks for that bit of info!

BeeZee likes this.
  41. BeeZee

BeeZee

Another sneak peak at the upcoming Halloween update! It's getting more Castlevania-ish up in here by the minute.

42. BeeZee

BeeZee

I'll be reaching out to the In Control dev as soon as I release the new Halloween update, by the way, so that should be soon!

maxrobert and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  43. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Awesome ! looking forward to the new Halloween update, and let me know if you need any testing for InControl

44. BeeZee

BeeZee

The Halloween Update has been submitted!

Rick-Kercz and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  45. BeeZee

BeeZee

The Halloween update is live!

46. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

great update
    next requests are more refinements of whats already there

-display enemy name ( castlevania softn ) display the name by the enemy health bar

-show enemy health number ( remaining )

-in the text box popups show a thumbnail of a character for conversations

BeeZee likes this.
  47. BeeZee

BeeZee

Thanks for the ideas! I'll keep them all in mind. I definitely loves me some SotN!

48. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Did you make a new demo scene for the video?
    I can't find it

49. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

When I jump from a ladder the player just falls down, can I change this somewhere to let the player jump of a ladder?

50. BeeZee

BeeZee

Hm... it looks like there's not, although I thought there was for some reason. I already have notes for this one, so I'm going to patch it in over the weekend. I'll PM you the update (and anyone else, feel free to let me know if you'd like it as well.)