Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Retro Pixel Bosses - Pixelart, Large Boss Monsters

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Perpetual-Diversion, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

rpb_logo2x.png
    Available now!
    Click here to get to the Asset Store page!

8 highly detailed, frame animated and fearsome pixel art bosses.

Retro Pixel Bosses features 8 large boss monsters in a highly detailed pixel art style. The bosses have several animations and accompanying effect sprites to go with some attack animations.

Note that no AI scripts are included, but the bosses have prefabs with animations and animator controllers ready for setup in your game!

DEMO VIDEO:

rpbpromo_groupshot_pogs_720.jpg rpbpromo_book_flameknight.png rpbpromo_book_thecountess.png rpbpromo_book_theancient.png

Some of the promo shots from the Asset Store page. Click to enlarge!

Features:
    • 8 unique, frame-animated, large boss monsters in a highly detailed pixel art style, inspired by late 16-bit games.
    • Over 500 frames of animation!
    • Earth Giant, Water Witch, Flame Knight, Wind Beast, The Pumpking, The Countess, Mad Knight and The Ancient.
    • .PNG sprite files and source .PSD files included.
    • Complete animations and animator controllers, ready for set up.
    • Animations per boss:
      • Appear, Move/Idle, Attack 1, Attack 2, Taking Damage, Death.
    • Prefabs with animations ready for implementation into your game!
      • All the boss prefabs' animator trees are set up in an "animation preview" loop.
    • Effect sprites for use with some attack animations.
      • Effects also have prefabs with animations already set up!
    For updates on this and future asset packs, feel free to follow me on Twitter.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    AndreCabral likes this.
  2. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

wip_group2.png
    All of the concepts/reference frames for the bosses were finished up last week, so here's a group pic of them all!
    From hereon, it'll be a bunch of animation work. I haven't worked on sprites of this size for a while, so it'll be a fun and interesting challenge.

The animation plan for each boss is:
    • Appear
    • Move/Idle
    • Attack 1
    • Attack 2
    • Damage
    • Death
    To close this post off, here's a process GIF of the last boss in the pack, The Ancient:
    concepts-doc-theancient_03.gif

AndreCabral likes this.
  3. AndreCabral

AndreCabral

Nice! They look very cool! I will probably buy this pack next year when it comes out. =D

Do you have plans to make big head/chibi version of some characters of this pack (especially the countess and the knight) like the ones in Retro 2D characters? =)

4. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

Thank you! I'm glad you like them. :)

Chibi variations is not in the plans ahead. The countess and knight kind of have their own proportions separate from both of the Characters packs. However, I might adopt the countess' hairstyle for the Characters packs later on, I really like how it turned out.

5. AndreCabral

AndreCabral

Nice! Her hair is really cool! It would be nice to see it on the characters packs.
    Any chance of having the knight helmet as a "hair" on the characters packs too? :)
    (I know here is the bosses thread, but some helmets on the hair layers of the characters packs would be very cool!)

Oh, I liked how The Ancient is very Cthulhu/Lovecraft style, even his name! ;)

6. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

The helmet will be featured as well, alongside the countess' hair. A Bosses-themed mini update of sorts, for the characters! :D

Thanks! I'm glad the inspiration shows, haha. The Ancient's a bit of a combination between a Lovecraftian beast and Lavos from Chrono Trigger.

Quick update, I'm working on the animations for the bosses now. So far, the Earth Giant is just about finished and the Water Witch's animations are underway. Below are samples of the idle/move animation and the sketch/silhouetting for the appearing animation. Click the thumbnails to watch the GIFs in motion!
    animwip_waterwitch01.gif animwip_waterwitch02.gif

AndreCabral likes this.
  7. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

Hey everyone! Here's an update on the progress of the Retro Pixel Bosses pack.

The animations for the Earth Giant and Water Witch are completely finished. Below are some promo images intended for the Asset Store page, containing a bit of information on the animations and suggested powers of the bosses. Although there won't be any AI scripts included, as mentioned in the original post, these stats are more so intended to give an idea of how the boss could be designed and implemented for your game.
    rpbpromo_book_waterwitch.png
    (Click to enlarge.)

The Flame Knight's animations are almost finished as well, with only damage and death animations remaining. Below are samples of the two attack animations for the boss.
    animwip_flameknight02_forum.gif
    animwip_flameknight05_forum.gif

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

Good news, everyone! The pack is not out just quite yet, but all the animations for all 8 bosses are now finished.
    Just a few things remain before the pack will be submitted to the Asset Store. Attack effect animations, export of all animation frames and setup of prefabs in Unity.
    In other words, just the fun and totally not time consuming parts remain before release. ;)

But what would an update be without some visual evidence of the pack's progress? Here are a few animations from different bosses that were recently animated.
    animwip_countess01_forum.gif animwip_madknight01_forum.gif animwip_pumpking01_forum.gif animwip_theancient03_forum.gif
    Release is now set for April, mid to late April more specifically, depending on Asset Store approval times.

AndreCabral likes this.
  9. AndreCabral

AndreCabral

Nice! Looking forward to it!
    Will buy it day one! :)

I was thinking about doing bosses to my game today and came here to check whats the status, and was happy to see it will launch soon :D

10. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

Thanks a lot, glad you're looking forward to it! It's really not far off now before I submit the bosses for approval. Always feels a bit weird to wrap up work on projects, especially 500+ frames of fairly large bosses. :D

All that remains now is setup of the attack effects/projectiles in Unity, testing and then setting up the store page and submitting for approval. Before that, I thought I'd post a few of the finalized promo "book pages" for the asset store.
    rpbpromo_book_pumpking.png
    rpbpromo_book_madknight.png
    rpbpromo_book_thecountess.png
    rpbpromo_book_theancient.png
    I had a lot of fun writing these, even if they're basically just promo screenshots. Can you tell? ;)

AndreCabral likes this.
  11. Perpetual-Diversion

Perpetual-Diversion

rpbpromo_groupshot_pogs_premieresale.jpg

Good news, everyone!
    The pack is now available at the Asset Store. Click here to get to the page!

I edited the first post above to link to the new demo video as well. In case you're seeing this post first, here's the demo video for convenience!

AndreCabral likes this.