Search Unity

[RELEASED] Retro Look Pro - post-processing effects pack.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by limitless_development, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ZachIsZef

ZachIsZef

Hello! I recently got this asset to try to make some good CRT scanline vibes on our retro styled 2D game and we cannot seem to get the shaders working. I verified our post processing package was up to date, imported the Retro Look Pro asset, installed the URP files, and added the render features into our renderer, but alas, nothing is happening. I can use the unity preset post processing without issue (bloom, chromatic aberration, etc). Anything I may be missing? Also, we're using unity version 2020.3.20f1.

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Just noticed in a post from 2021 that you state it does not support the 2D renderer. Is that still the case? Because we use that for our lighting.

EDIT 2: We changed the renderer to the RL_PRO Forward Renderer, which makes the shaders work properly, but we do lose our lighting. Is there any way to use both? Or a work around?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  2. limitless_development

limitless_development

2D Renderer currently doesn't support custom render features. Thats why Retro Look Pro don't work with 2D renderer for now.

There is some workaround :

1. Unity made PPv2 support for URP.(Compatible with Universal Render Pipeline (URP) 7.x, with Unity 2018 LTS, and 2019 LTS.)
    If you have compatible URP and Unity Editor versions, try to install Post-processing v2 package from package manager.
    In you Renderer setting you should see Post-processing selection option.

After that you can use import "LWRP&Built-in Render Retro Look Pro.unitypackage" (Don't forget to remove "Retro Look Pro URP" folder before that).

2. Also here https://forum.unity.com/threads/urp-2d-renderer-custom-feature.778946/ people says that they have workin custom render features in Unity 2021

3. ZachIsZef

ZachIsZef

We did not have those specific URP/Unity versions BUT based off another Unity forum post we found, we were able to stack the cameras and put one renderer (2D renderer) on one camera (made it an overlay) and the other renderer (Forward Renderer) on the other camera (the base camera) and it worked, though I'm not quite sure how. Something in our UI camera ties it all together and we can't figure out what exactly. May do a deep dive at some point.

Here's the link for the post that helped us for anyone in the future:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/how...cessing-effects-with-2d-renderer-data.894868/

Thank you for the quick response though. Here's to hoping they update URP to let stuff work with the 2D renderer easier!

4. knas01

knas01

Hello, I got this asset for the trail artifacts effect, but it doesn't exist. There's not even any files for it that I can find. This is in the URP package. Unity 2021.2.15

Want to add that colormap palette is supposed to have 31 presets, (they are all present in the files) but on the actual effect there are only 3.
    Picture correction does not work, it's just a solid colour.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  5. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

1. Sorry but "trail artifacts effect" can't work with URP currenty, so it was not included in URP Retro Look Pro version.

2. Color Palette IMPORTANT NOTE : To use presets please open "\Assets\LimitlessUnityDevelopment\RetroLookPro\Resources\ColormapPresets.unitypackage" and import it. Then fill RetroLookProColorPaletePresetsList\presetslist with all presets from "\Assets\LimitlessUnityDevelopment\RetroLookPro\Resources\Colormap Presets". and all presets will be available in actual effect.

3. Thank yo for pointing to a bug. Fixed version will be available on Asset Store until tomorow.

6. knas01

knas01

@limitless_development Thanks for the help, but I'm very sad about the trail effect. You have no idea how long I looked for an effect like that. What's holding it back? Is it something that can be resolved in the near future or is the whole URP thing completely unable to do this effect?

7. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Hello @limitless_development ! I was looking through your demonstration reel, as I'm searching for something that can replicate the grindhouse/film damage effects of games like Wet and House of the Dead Overkill. Your reel only briefly demonstrates the 'old film effect', and I was wondering if there was a way to get a better view of the available effects? I'm looking to achieve something like this, this or this (so scratches, flecks, hairs, dirt, grain, flickering, lens leak, film jitter, film tracks, burn-out etc). Thanks!

8. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife

Ran into something very strange RLPro is flipping my cameras image whenever any of the effects are eanbled for some strange reason. They look good but they are flipping my cameras image. This is very bad since The side project i'm using this for is an rpg and so flipping all the camera math would be very annoying.
    It works fine in my main project with no camera flipping.

9. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife

I can fix it easily, by flipping the camera, but, that isnt ideal, ideally I wouldnt have to flip my camera weirdly

10. limitless_development

limitless_development

Sorry but can't say for sure long will it take to make it work in URP.

I am currently working on that effect, it will be added to Retro Look Pro package in couple weeks.

11. limitless_development

limitless_development

Actually that issue was already solved in past Retro Look Pro versions.

Please contact me via email limitlessunitydevelopment@gmail.com

In email please provide me with some info:
    • Invoice number
    • Unity Editor version
    • Your Render Pipeline

12. glenneroo

glenneroo

Will this work in VR on the Oculus Quest? I would love to have some of these effects on my UI. I am using URP and Unity 2021.3 LTS.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  13. tcn5150

tcn5150

I'm using Unity 2021.2.19f1, Retro Look Pro 2.8.2, and HDRP 12.1.16. I'm noticing when using Noise_RLPRO there's a static noise pattern in the output that looks very out of place. It might be related to the granularity function. With Granularity off, it disappears. With granularity on, and the amount set to zero, it's the only effect that appears. And it persists when the granularity is above 0, though it is slightly hidden among the animated noise. Has anyone else run into this?
    Screenshot 2022-05-11 213921.png

14. moen

moen

When adding one of the renderer features, I get the following error:

You can only call cameraColorTarget inside the scope of a ScriptableRenderPass. Otherwise the pipeline camera target texture might have not been created or might have already been disposed.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? I'm using Unity 2022.1.2f1 and Retro Look Pro 2.8.2

15. netpost

netpost

@limitless_development is it possible to apply fx on certain layer only in HDRP? Also how to automate the parameters in the timeline? like activate and desactivate component... It does not seem to work. Thanks for your help

16. netpost

netpost

@limitless_development

Is this Forum still alive? Is this the good place to ask questions? Please see question asked 6 days ago above.Thanks.

17. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

Retro Look Pro works with quiet unexpectedly on URP v12+ for now. I will fix that issue and in couple days fixed version will be available on Asset Store.

18. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

Yes you can apply fx on certan layer in HDRP and work with parameters through timeline. I will add tutorials and how to to documentation file.

Notifications from forum comes rarely. Please use email instead limitlessunitydevelopment@gmail.com

19. netpost

netpost

20. haleler51

haleler51

Any updates on this? I'm also getting the same error:

You can only call cameraColorTarget inside the scope of a ScriptableRenderPass. Otherwise the pipeline camera target texture might have not been created or might have already been disposed.
    UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer:get_cameraColorTargetHandle ()
    Bleed_RLPRO:AddRenderPasses (UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer,UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData&) (at Assets/LimitlessUnityDevelopment/Retro Look Pro URP/Scripts/Runtime/Bleed_RLPRO.cs:20)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

21. limitless_development

limitless_development

Retro Look Pro v2.9 is alive and now supports Unity Editor 2021 and 2022!

Innovine and haleler51 like this.
  22. Tiollo

Tiollo

Hi @limitless_development!
    I'm trying Retro Look Pro for my first time but I'm having a few problems with the setup.
    I'm using the latest version of Retro Look Pro on Unity 2021.3.5 with 3D URP.

After installing "Universal Renderer Retro Look Pro.package" on an empty project I get 56 errors like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader not found.
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
    3. AnalogTVNoise_RLPRO/AnalogTVNoise_RLPROPass:.ctor (UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderPassEvent) (at Assets/LimitlessUnityDevelopment/Retro Look Pro URP/Scripts/Runtime/AnalogTVNoise_RLPRO.cs:60)
    4. AnalogTVNoise_RLPRO:Create () (at Assets/LimitlessUnityDevelopment/Retro Look Pro URP/Scripts/Runtime/AnalogTVNoise_RLPRO.cs:14)
    5. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRendererFeature:OnValidate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@12.1.7/Runtime/ScriptableRendererFeature.cs:46)
    Then when I try to run the example scenes, I can't see any of the effects even if they are enabled in the post-processing volume.

Any help?
    Thanks a lot :)

23. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

Please mail me limitlessunitydevelopment@gmail.com and provide with some info:
    1. Your target platform
    2. You URP version (you can find it in package manager)

24. pandailing

pandailing

Hi @limitless_development , I found a problem in one of your assets

I purchased a Retro Look Pro during 2020. I want to use it on my current project (Unity 2020.3.12f1 (64-bit)) with URP Settings.
    Here is the steps that I do
    1. I already have a Post Processing v2 and Flat Kit plugin (I don't know if this is related or not) installed
    2. I install Retro Look Pro using package manager (no any error alert after the import process)
    3. I run the UDP unitypackage included in the Retro Look Pro folder to install a URP support (no any error alert)
    4. I tried to open the RLP demo scene included in the UDP folder
    5. All of the demo does not working

may you help in this case?

Thank you

25. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

If you using URP you don't need Post Processing v2. The Universal Render Pipeline (URP) contains its own integrated post-processing solution.

[Setup effects]

1. Open your renderer and click "add Render Feature".
    2. Add all Retro Look Pro effects you need.
    3. In your scene add Volume component to any gameobject you want. In volume component create new volume profile or use existing one. Click "override" and select needed effect.

[SETUP EFFECTS TO USE EXAMPLE SCENES]
    1. Open your Universal Render Pipline Asset
    2. Select in "Renderer list" field "RLPro_ForwardRenderer".

Please read Documentation file in "\Assets\LimitlessUnityDevelopment\Retro Look Pro URP" for further information.

26. Glader

Glader

It seems like the standard Bloom post processing from URP will no longer function when using this. Is there some sort of work around for this?

27. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

Yes, I made Bloom effect with same functionality as Unity's and better performance.

Please mail me limitlessunitydevelopment@gmail.com and don't forget to provide me with your Invoice number, so I can send you custom bloom effect.

28. supericon

supericon

Hi - I am using Retro Look Pro. I have Pro Edge Noise added to post-processing and it works fine in the editor, but when I build a standalone PC executable, the effect no longer appears. Other Retro Look effects DO appear fine in standalone though.

29. supericon

supericon

I should add I am just using the standard built-in rendering.

Here is the post-processing stack:

upload_2022-11-15_11-21-52.png

30. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

Try to add all shaders from "Assets\LimitlessUnityDevelopment\(LWRP&Built-In) RLPro Post-processing stack v2 effects\Resources\Shaders" folder to "Always Included Shaders" list (Edit/ProjectSettings/Graphics).

Please let me know if it helps.

31. supericon

supericon

Fantastic - that fixed it and everything works great now :)

32. shortlin

shortlin

Hi Could you help me to check out the problem with old computer would happen "
    RenderTexture.Create failed: format unsupported for random writes - RG11B10 UFloat" like my uploaed file?

I found the error is in the Code Noise_RLPRO.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. texTape = RTHandles.Alloc(Vector2.one, TextureXR.slices, colorFormat: UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.GraphicsFormat.B10G11R11_UFloatPack32, dimension: TextureDimension.Tex2DArray, enableRandomWrite: true, useDynamicScale: true, name: "texLast");
    I am sorry to bother you,just because I found before using your plugin,that computer did not happen this error.
    I remember when I imported your plugin,And set what we want and then export the pc exe file.new computer ran ok,but old computer would happen the errors like I said.

I knew maybe it's not your puglin's problem,but I just had no idea to handle this.

Could you point out the direction that I can find to solve the problem...thank you.

Attached Files:

33. bdmizanur

bdmizanur

I'm using Retro Look Pro for my HDRP project but when I build the game with the effects screen turns black. I've tested multiple times and Retro Look Pro is causing this black screen on built problem. It works fine in-engine.

I've tried to build on 2020.3.39f1 and currently trying on 2021.3.15f1.

34. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

In order to reproduce and fix that bug, can you please provide me with some additional info ?

1. Your target platform.
    2. What exact effects you are using ?
    3. Please make some screenshots of your HD Render Pipeline Asset.

35. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

Thank you for bringing this error to my attention

I managed Noise effects to work without that texture. I will release fix in upcoming update.

36. itch

itch

Hi, I've got some issues with HDRP in 2022.1.23. I already sent an email about this but no response yet, maybe this is faster. And hey it's probably good to post here anyway in case anyone else has this problem.

The intensity value is broken in all the effects, screenshot of the phosphor effect attached. Some effects still look good, I'm using only those for now.. except I can't.

Because all effects also stretch the image. Adding an effect causes the image to stretch vertically, and adding more effects increases the stretch. In the scene camera nothing lines up anymore. Screenshots attached of a normal scene view (all post processing removed) and the view with Glitch1 (the wireframe remains but the image stretches out of sync).

And worse still, is that this is far more broken when the camera viewport rect is not full screen. Reducing the viewport width makes the image stretch out horizontally, reducing the height stretches it vertically. I in fact have a set up of several cameras on screen at once. Add this all together and the game view is crazy stretched, almost unrecognizable. Screenshots of normal (all post processing removed) and the stretch problem (only Glitch1 effect added to the stack). Note that here I left the effect in the volume disabled, so it's not applied to the image but the stretch is obviously still there.

Attached Files:

37. GothJakob

GothJakob

It looks like the VHS_RetroLook.shader has a bug when compiling to GLSL on non windows platforms. You use a variable name "smooth" which is fine in HLSL but is a [type Qualifier](https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Type_Qualifier_(GLSL)) in GLSL causing the Shader to fail compilation.

The error is GLSL compilation failed for shader RetroLookPro/VHS_RetroLook: 0:31(15) error: syntax error, unexpected SMOOTH, expecting ',' or ';'

glslang: " : syntax error, unexpected SMOOTH, expecting IDENTIFIER"

38. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response. Somehow your email ended up in the spam folder.

In order to fix that issue please provide mw with some additional info:
    1. Do you use Dynamic Resolution with DLSS ?
    2. What Retro Look Pro version you currently using ?
    3. Your target platform.
    4. Your HDRP version

It is not broken. Intencity value is basically fade parameter. It can't be used globally cause not all Retro Look Pro effects use it.

39. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi, Thank you for pointing to a bug. I will fix that in update.

40. limitless_development

limitless_development

Retro Look Pro v2.9.3 Update Released

• TV Effect Res scale fixed (new parameter added)
    • URP Global Post Processing Settings parameter added
    • Fixed black screen in Editor (URP)
    • texTape issue fixed

41. GothJakob

GothJakob

Are there any plans to make the Shader code Platform Agnostic? We're attempting to port our game to Linux (OpenGL/Vulkan GLSL) and VHS_RetroLook.shader renders textures mirrored and upside down when compiled to GLSL.

I am working on adding macros, https://docs.unity.cn/530/Documentation/Manual/SL-PlatformDifferences.html, to the shader in order to resolve this bug, however, I'd prefer not branching too far out from the provided Source code as to be able to pull updates. Thanks!

42. SirDJCat

SirDJCat

Hey, I'm using the Built-In render pipeline (I made sure to install Post Processing v2) and for some reason none of the effects work and I get this error on all the shaders: 2023-04-04 (3).png

Anyone know how to fix this?

Unity version 2021.3.13f1

43. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

I just checked and everything seems to work fine in Unity 2021 with Post-Processing package v3.2.2

Error on your screenshot say's that Unity can't find "StdLib.hlsl" file, which is required.

You need to install Post-Processing package via Package Manager. If you install it different way, it won't create Packages/com.unity.postprocessing folder with "StdLib.hlsl" in it.

If you installed Post-Processing package via Package Manager, try to click "Assets/Reimport All"

SirDJCat likes this.
  44. limitless_development

limitless_development

Hi,

Yes, sure I can fix that. What's your Render Pipeline ?

45. SirDJCat

SirDJCat

Thanks for the quick reply! I tried that and it didn't work but thankfully I figured it out. It turns out my color space had to be Linear and not Gamma. Now the effects work fine :)

46. GothJakob

GothJakob

We attach several Retro Look Pro Shaders to PostProcessingVolume attached to a Camera Object to display an intro scene. I was able to resolve the Inverted/Mirrored scene texture by editing the VHS_RetroLook.shader

Code (CSharp):
    1. VaryingsDefault VertDef(AttributesDefault v)
    2. {
    3. VaryingsDefault o;
    4. #if UNITY_UV_STARTS_AT_TOP
    5. o.vertex = float4(v.vertex.xy, 0.0, 1.0);
    6. o.texcoord = TransformTriangleVertexToUV(v.vertex.xy);
    7. #else
    8. float2 vertex = float2(v.vertex.x, -v.vertex.y);
    9. o.vertex = float4(vertex, 0.0, 1.0);
    10. o.texcoord = TransformTriangleVertexToUV(v.vertex.xy);
    11. #endif
    12. o.texcoord = o.texcoord * float2(1.0, -1.0) + float2(0.0, 1.0);
    13. o.texcoordStereo = o.texcoord + float2(_OffsetNoiseX - 0.2f, _OffsetNoiseY);
    14. o.texcoordStereo *= float2(tileY, tileX);
    15. return o;
    Other Commonly used shaders are UltimateVignette_RLPRO.shader PulsatingVignetteEffect_RLPRO.shader and Gltich3_RLPRO.shader although I haven't noticed any significant issues with the others so far. I ended up resolving the main issue with VHS_RetroLook.shader with the above code

47. limitless_development

limitless_development

Retro Look Pro v2.9.4
    • HDRP Phosphor effect fixed
    • HDRP Colormap palette fixed
    • HDRP crop image issue fixed
    • HDRP Glitch3 fixed
    • HDRP Artefacts effect fixed
    • Built-In VHS effect image flip issue fixed

48. wittdeveloping

wittdeveloping

I have to say that the same thing happened with the RL Pro Edge Noise and unfortunately I had to disable it for the WebGL version of the game :(

49. nightdriveinteractive

nightdriveinteractive

How come Jitter, Edge Noise, Edge Stretch work in the editor but not when I build the game?

I've tried them in HDRP 2021 and 2022.

Still a really great asset for retro effects!

EDIT: I included the shaders for those effects in the projects settings and it now works in the build.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  50. Orbb

Orbb

Hello!

I'm still a beginner with Unity, and I'm facing an issue that I don't know how to resolve.

First of all, I use the Universal Render Pipeline (URP) for my project, and the Post-Processing package is installed as well.

I imported the (LWRP&URP&Standard) RLPro Post-processing stack v2 effects folder, set up my camera and everything else, and tried to use the effects, but nothing is working. In my project settings, I'm using the New Universal Render Pipeline Asset in the Graphics tab. If this asset is selected in the demo scenes we can find in the effect folder, textures are pink.

Also, if I use the Volume component with Unity's built-in post-processing effects, it works fine, but unfortunately with just the Volume, I can't use the Retro Look profiles.

Thanks for your help!