Search Unity

[Released] Retro 3D Shaders pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by OneManEscapePlan, Jan 17, 2019.

1. OneManEscapePlan

OneManEscapePlan

516x389.png
    Checkered Cutout.png 516x389.png Flatshade2.png Checkered Shade 2.png 2-bit Greyscale 2.png
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/packs/retro-space-rail-shooter-132618

This shader collection will help give your game the retro look you've been waiting for! The pack contains four retro-style shaders, all of which support casting and receiving shadows. These shaders have been tested on and should be compatible with PC, Mac, and mobile.

- Retro Flat Shader: a simple shader with no specular highlights.
    - Retro Checkered Shader: inspired by the look of games that utilized the Super Nintendo FX chip*, this customizable shader fills in shadowed areas with a checker pattern. Looks especially good in low-resolution games!
    - Retro Greyscale Checkered Shader: ever wonder what your 3D game would look like if you somehow got it to run on an original Game Boy? This customizable shader renders your mesh in glorious 2-bit color, with four whole shades of grey! Checkered shading can optionally be used to simulate additional shades without actually using more colors.
    - Retro Checkered Cutout Shader: used for rendering cutout materials such as fences or foliage. Combines retro material style with accurate cutout shadows.

(Note: The shaders in this package are included in the Retro Space Rail Shooter template. Owners of that template do not need to purchase this shader pack).

Also included are the carrier mesh and its UV texture, and three demo scenes to review the different shaders.

For best results, make sure your meshes are configured for "flat shading" rather than "smooth shading" when you export them from your model editing software. Include only directional lights in your scene (the Checkered shaders do not support point or spot lights). Disable soft shadows.

*This project is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. OneManEscapePlan

OneManEscapePlan

Version 1.1 (24 January 2019):
    • Added "Retro Checkered Cutout Shader"
    • Fixed shadow rendering artifacts on checkered shaders
    • Minor code improvements
    • Reorganized some files
    • Updated documentation

NeatWolf likes this.
  3. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there!

Are LWSRP or VR supported?

Dithered alpha blending (compatible with particles) and Bayer matrix dithering (or other dithering techniques), or even striped/custom dithering would be a nice addition! :)

Some reference:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordered_dithering
    https://www.tannerhelland.com/4660/dithering-eleven-algorithms-source-code/

I know it's not strictly "nintendoish", but would fit in the retro shaders theme. (you could even add vertex position quantization to empower the retro look :) )

4. OneManEscapePlan

OneManEscapePlan

Hi Neatwolf, thanks for your interest and suggestions!

The shaders currently do not support LWRP. As for VR - I recently reconfigured my office and haven't set up my Vive again yet, so I can't easily test it at the moment. The shader should render in VR when not using a custom SRP, but the checkers are positioned in screen space and you might get that sort of shimmery look that can happen when an effect shader looks different in each eye.

The purpose of this package was to provide a cheap option for people who want the shaders from my Retro Space Rail Shooter template but aren't interested in the rest of the template. Right now, I am focused on a new template, so I am not planning to add dithering or other shaders to this package anytime soon. I'll keep it in mind for the future, though!