Search Unity

Games [Released] Remnants Of The Dawn

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Stephen_O, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello,

Here's an early game prototype demo that I'm working on with @aswihart, we're looking for constructive feedback if you have any.

This will be a PC game that's played from a top down viewpoint, with a click-to-move/take-action gameplay style.

We'll have a playable demo soon, let us know if you're interested in testing.

Thanks for taking the time to check out our project.

2. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

A new dev log and progress update.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's some pretty smooth game play and the graphics look pretty damn good too. Lighting looks smooth as does the particle effects. Honestly don't know about the left click to move. I'd like to be able to run backwards while shooting forwards and I don't think that's possible with the control scheme you have in place.

aswihart and Stephen_O like this.
  4. aswihart

aswihart

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to check out the dev logs. This is my first one on this project. I go into detail on how to create Cinematics in Unity. Let us know what you think. best - Andrew

warthos3399 likes this.
  5. aswihart

aswihart

We are having a hard time naming our Sci-Fi game. So we would appreciate it if anyone would care to help us out.

If you suggest a name in the comments below and we use it, you get a copy of the game for free!

Here is a video of the latest gameplay

Here is the page for you to vote on names we came up with - https://linkto.run/p/2GWC4IH1

The synopsis -

40 years in the future, after AI destroyed the world, a post-apocalyptic society lives hidden in the shadows knowing little of what came before.

A mysterious traveler tells our hero Jack, about a place where the AI lives and is creating creatures to destroy the last of humanity.

Jack must venture down into the dark laboratory to save the human race. Through his adventure into the unknown, he must fight his way past killer creatures, a maze of sinister traps and evil AI to ultimately uncover a truth that is more than he realized...

Thank you all!

warthos3399 likes this.
  6. Antypodish

Antypodish

In my opinion most of these listed names are far too verbose.
    While they are synonyms, to what you present, for me they feel detached from the game, or they don't convey enough meaning.
    You need short catchy meaningful title, easy to remember. Preferably single worded when possible.

Prototype sounds not too bad, but looses the meaning of some overwatching force like a god, or AI.

First thought I had for Sentinel, (see my previous sentence)l. But then I thought Sentient would be more suitable.
    Alternatively, a bit longer Sentient Nova, as of new significant inteligent form, here read your Evil AI proposal (which feels weak to me).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Stephen_O likes this.
  7. warthos3399

warthos3399

2 names came to mind, after looking at your vote list:
    Dark Breed (my pick)
    Rise of the Dark

You guys are doing a great job, the results show it, i like the systems in place, good storyline, and the art style fits and is constant across all scenes, very well done guys. I too just started the Cinematics phase, but where JE is cut scene based, will take quite a while to do, lol. Keep cranking,

Looking real good :)
    Warthos

aswihart and Stephen_O like this.
  8. aswihart

aswihart

Hi Antypodish, thanks for the feedback, we will certainly consider your points.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  9. aswihart

aswihart

Dev Log #2

How I Build a Level in Unity

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    warthos3399 likes this.
  10. warthos3399

warthos3399

@aswihart I do about the same thing you do, optimize and set up all assets ahead of time, so all you need to do is place and scale, also makes dev time faster. You shut off lighting during scene dev, i also shut off shadows (hard to see placement of asset when its in a dark shadow).

Reusable assets are great, can be done with any asset, rotate, mod textures, scale, anything to reuse assets and not make or buy more. Some just keep buying more and more for their game, cause they cant model or mod, and the project size just keeps getting bigger, lol.

You talked about stairs/slopes, glad you guys stuck with the slopes, looks better, and this is a fast paced game, easy as hell to set up, stairs would change the way the scene looks, picture it, would make it look alot more industrial. Unless thats what your looking for.

Nice dev log :)

11. aswihart

aswihart

Hey warthos3399, thank you for your feedback, and the well-thought-through response. Glad you liked the slopes, I didn't feel like changing them :p

warthos3399 likes this.
  12. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

It's been 6 weeks, we've used half of our development time budget, most of the core systems and features are defined. 6 more weeks to go until our target launch date, let me show you what we have so far.

Antypodish likes this.
  13. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

BonneCW and warthos3399 like this.
  14. warthos3399

warthos3399

Best of luck, you guys are doing great, stay focused :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  15. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks, it's exciting for us since this is our first self published game. Lots of fun :)

warthos3399 likes this.
  16. BonneCW

BonneCW

You should have uploaded a trailer as well. I know it's not required for the page release, but releasing the page without might get you less wishlists.

Stephen_O likes this.
  17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the advice, we want to add a new trailer but will use an older version for now.

18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I've made an updated dev log reflecting on process up to now, and also looking forward to the steam release.

19. warthos3399

warthos3399

Looks great! You guys have done well, best of luck with the release!

Stephen_O likes this.
  20. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks, it's been a fun ride.. we're almost there!

warthos3399 likes this.
  21. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

warthos3399 likes this.
  22. warthos3399

warthos3399

Nice you guys, killer game, and was fun to watch it being dev'd. Big congrats :)

Stephen_O likes this.
  23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thank you :)

warthos3399 likes this.
  24. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Today, Remnants of the Dawn was released on Steam, for Andrew and I, this is our first independently published commercial PC game. We spent 6 months working on, I wish we could have done more as there's so much I'd like to improve/add, but this was all the time I was able to afford to spend on the project. It was my goal to release a game on Steam since I started working in Unity around 2012.

Steam Link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271510/Remnants_of_the_Dawn/

warthos3399 and Antypodish like this.
  25. Antypodish

Antypodish

Haven't seen this thread for a while. I need to say, Steam trailer looks cool.
    Looks like nice product you have there guys.

warthos3399 and Stephen_O like this.
  26. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for checking the game out, it was a lot of fun to work on this project.

warthos3399 likes this.
  27. warthos3399

warthos3399

You guys did a great job, was worth the time :)

Antypodish and Stephen_O like this.
  28. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks for the compliment and for following along the development :)

warthos3399 likes this.