Search Unity

1. Full schedule for #UniteBerlin is now available! Featuring talks on our roadmap, hands-on labs and much more! Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Realtime CSG - level design for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LogicalError-Unity3D, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

For Unity it's 2017.3.1f1. I updated RTCSG just before importing it.

2. matteumayo

matteumayo

Any news on progress towards symmetry/mirror editing support?

3. logicalerror

logicalerror

Does this also happen to you when you start a new project? If not, can you create a small repro project for me? I can't seem to reproduce it here :(

I'm currently refactoring the code that builds CSG trees from all the brushes, making sure it's faster, more flexible, doesn't rely on any editor specific code (in order to be able to support runtime), and make sure it's testable (writing lots of automated tests this time around to help avoid regressions and ensure quality)
    Once that's all done I'll move all the existing generators to become components, so that when, for instance, you've created a cylinder, it'll stay a 'cylinder' unless you specifically decide to turn it into an editable brush.
    These two things combined will allow me to make things like
    - repeater components that repeat everything in the hierarchy beneath it a specified times
    - mirror components that repeat and mirror everything in the hierarchy beneath it over a specified plane
    etc.

So in order to do that I need to get those other things out of the way first.
    After that I'll finally be in a spot to churn out some new features again

dadude123 and matteumayo like this.
  4. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

I tested it just now and yes, it's still got unusual numbers. My snap settings are 0.0025 despite changing them to 1 in a previous project.

5. logicalerror

logicalerror

Do you get unusual numbers straight away? Or do you perform a particular operation?
    When you tried it in a new project, was that without any other packages/assets installed?
    FYI;the snap settings that are shown are actually the same unity snap settings that can be changed in Edit/Snap settings
    Realtime CSG only changes those in the bottom tool bar, nowhere else .. so this is a bit confusing

6. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

The moment I import the package, yeah. I didn't do any operations prior. In the new project it was the only package present.

7. logicalerror

logicalerror

You're on 1.529 right? Do you have similar issues on older versions? I'm trying to figure out what could be causing this since I can't reproduce this locally

8. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

Actually the most recently updated version I have is 1.522. I may have though unfortunately my memory's not too good.

9. LogicalError-Unity3D

LogicalError-Unity3D

Unity Technologies

Ah, you know that you can download the latest version from https://realtimecsg.com/updates, right?
    The asset store version is somewhat behind :)
    Can you try on the latest version?

10. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

I was aware of its presence though I felt downloading it through Unity was more convenient.

11. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

Uh, slightly off-topic, but all evaluation versions are 404.

12. LogicalError-Unity3D

LogicalError-Unity3D

Unity Technologies

@N00MKRAD you're not the first to mention this, but I'm not seeing it on my end? can you check if your view of realtimecsg.com is cached perhaps? 1.529 should be the latest evaluation version

13. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

Huh, good point - it's stuck on 1.516.

This happens in any browser, will try VPNs and Tor now.

Update: The files are there, I managed to get a 1.529 package for 5.6.3 by changing the URL, though that doesn't work for 2017.3 or 2017.2.

Any chance to get a list of current URLs or a reupload on another hoster until the problem is fixed?

EDIT 2: Thankfully the folder can be viewed: https://realtimecsg.com/evaluation/

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  14. dadude123

dadude123

Oh man, all of this sounds sooo good :D:D
    The possibilities that this will open.
    Repeat, Mirror are cool, and I have plans to eventually add Bend, Deform, Inflate, Segment, "replace negative" (to easily round off inner corners, as well as the invert mode for outer corners), Bevel (just like in blender where you can tell how many segments you want) ...

I also started working on the logical extension of the spline deform I posted about earlier: the "4x4x4 freeform-deform" mod (just like the one from megafiers). I'm just having terrible performance issues with that one, but I think things will get easier once the API is done.

Btw: the update website works fine for me, shows 1.529 as latest (as of right now).

15. Emerald_Eel_Entertainment

An update on my problem I was having. After messing with the snap settings of another project and cming back to CSG it seems the snapping has sorted itself out. It's now fine!

16. logicalerror

logicalerror

Sorry for being so quiet lately, but that simply because I'm so busy with the new stuff!
    It's taking longer than I'd like, but I just want to make sure I'm doing things properly.
    I'm almost at the point where I can start to move the old generators over to the new component based generator stuff

@Emerald_Eel_Entertainment that just is even weirder? I'm starting to suspect some sort of unity bug ...

17. LogicalError-Unity3D

LogicalError-Unity3D

Unity Technologies

I just released version 1.530, which has the following bugfixes:
    • Fixed rebuild always assuming that UVs need to be rebuild, even when auto-rebuild was turned off
    • Fixed texture coordinates not rotating correctly
    • Fixed materials not showing up correctly on models when the material wasn't saved yet (negative instanceID)
    • Fixed issue with texture coordinate generation not being correct due to axis in matrix being garbled

18. matteumayo

matteumayo

Hello again,

Is it possible to use shared materials with the exported model? I have a case where I'm using a custom (UBER) shader, but when exporting, RealtimeCSG embeds a new material into the model, with the Standard shader.

What I'm looking to do is to use the actual material, as is the case when assigning materials in Unity normally.

The only workaround I can find is to create a prefab out of the models and apply the material there. However, this would add a lot of hassle to the workflow, since I'd have to, for every model, perform this same operation.

Thanks.

Edit: I've found that I can just use the Unity Mesh export, which is a decent enough workaround it seems. It would still be useful to have the FBX functionality though if it's possible.

Update: Unity meshes saved as prefabs don't have the mesh data/filters attached with them. How am I supposed to use Unity Meshes? Only as child of the CSG model? Just realized, I asked about this before and your previous solution was to use FBX export! :confused:

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  19. BornToMakeGames

BornToMakeGames

Hello,

Do you have any estimations when runtime support will be ready?
    Thanks.

20. LogicalError-Unity3D

LogicalError-Unity3D

Unity Technologies

@matteumayo it's kind of hard to make this work in a generic way because unity loses a lot of information in between exporting and importing the fbx .. there's no way for me to actually put a reference to the original material in the fbx, so I'm not entirely sure this is even possible :(

@BornToMakeGames I'm hoping to have a beta version ready within the next couple of weeks, but it's hard to say when it's ready. I have to rewrite a lot of code so that it works at runtime and doesn't rely on any editor specific unity functionality, so I need to make sure I don't break things in the process

Mark_01 likes this.
  21. terrivellmann

terrivellmann

Hey! Question: is it possible to type in the X Y Z scale values of a brush in Object mode like you can in Generate mode?

22. dadude123

dadude123

@LogicalError-Unity3D
    Any news on the rewrite? Whats the status on it?

Also: Once the "permanently edittables" are done, do you think you'll implement CSG bending by splines? (Or maybe help me do it for you? haha :D )