Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Realtime CSG - level design for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LogicalError-Unity3D, Aug 24, 2016.

1. CrazeDevelopment

CrazeDevelopment

YES, THIS YES. I would really really love to have this feature. It would make, for instance, a pit of lava a lot easier. I won't have to build a collider to manually fit my shape or hackily place collider planes all over the place to define where I might kill the player.

Also do you have a discord for RealtimeCSG? I would love a simple place to just drop cool images in regards to CSG stuff. Happy to make RealtimeCSG a discord! Always good for a little community to have an area to chat and support itself. I made Bolts original discord, with much convincing of the author. It's pretty big now, I handed off all ownership to Ludiq. If you don't like discord, totally get it! Just an idea.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. logicalerror

logicalerror

@tarahugger yeah I'd love to be able to debug unity line by line as well .. maybe some day ...
    the idea is that in the next version there will be a low level API that does all the good stuff and the editor UI basically works on that API. So anything you can do in the editor, you could, by definition, also do in the API

And if you want to work straight on the API and forego the UI entirely because you just want to procedurally generate something, you'll be able to

Brushes can only be convex, so you'd only be able to join shapes if they're both convex. This is for algorithmic complexity reasons.. convex shapes are just so much easier to deal with, it's not even a contest. I may add generators that internally have multiple brushes, yet pretend to be one shape though. So from the UI it could potentially look like it's a generic shape & that it's actually something more complex underneath would be hidden from the user. (at least it's something I've been thinking about, probably not a v1 thing because I already have so much to do for v1)

I'm definitely not going to put all options in the in-scene generators for that very reason, it would be such a mess of handles that it would be more likely that you do the wrong thing than the right thing & visual clutter would drive you wild.
    There will be an optional thing where you can see the measurements of the generators so you can see lengths, heights, depths, angles etc. etc. in case you need to be super precise about what you're making. This should help when you want to make sure doorways are traversable, ceilings are at a reasonable height etc. etc.

3. logicalerror

logicalerror

@CrazeDevelopment The runtime part of realtime CSG will have some sort of API that allows you to raycast into the world to find surfaces and their additional data. This will be available even if you baked the model to a mesh at build time.

I just created a Realtime CSG discord: https://discord.gg/Aq8meZF
    I didn't make any channels yet, and I'll be traveling the next couple of days, but it's there :)

CrazeDevelopment likes this.
  4. Player7

Player7

Yeah I tend not to use it other than having setup one custom one, I guess I just hadn't seen something like a script where you can setup two or more layouts and toggle/cycle them with a hotkey? I'm sure it exists just not seen in it or looked into it.

"I'm considering the edge approach, but there might be some caveats, we'll see"
    It seemed like a good way in my head but implementation and problems with doing it that way is a totally different thing :)

5. Quakeulf

Quakeulf

Ok, so no composite colliders?

6. logicalerror

logicalerror

Realtime CSG creates meshColliders if the csg model is 'static'. It doesn't create composite colliders for dynamic objects though .. which should be do-able with a bit of elbow grease though

Mark_01 likes this.