Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're running great holiday deals on subscriptions, swag and Asset Store packages! Take a peek at this blog for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out our Unite Austin 2017 YouTube playlist to catch up on what you missed. More videos coming soon.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Realistic Eye Movements

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Faikus, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Faikus

Faikus

I haven't heard about that before. I use Mixamo characters a lot as well and don't see that problem. Could you check the console, is there an error message?

2. praesidenter

praesidenter

I can't remember an error message in the console. I'll try to reproduce this bug this evening, but as said before: it appears to happen randomly.

3. praesidenter

praesidenter

So I managed to capture this on a video. On 0:09 you can see the character looking at the player and right after that the head snaps back to the default position and won't move (the eye movements still work though). No errors in the console.

4. Faikus

Faikus

Thanks for the video. Are there any other scripts active on the character that interact with REM? If you could PM me a test scene that shows that behaviour, I'll find the problem.

5. pan-master

pan-master

eye blinking is wrong, Human eye blinking is not a liner interpolation between A-B possition. The eye closes faster than openes, The more nervous person is the quicker eye is opening, the more nostalgic person is the longer it takes for the eye to open itself up
    upload_2017-3-4_15-57-3.png

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  6. Faikus

Faikus

Hi pan-master, you're right, the blinking can be better. I'll look up some more concrete references and implement their findings in a future update.

7. reallypeople

reallypeople

Hi, great asset. We had it working perfectly on IOS, but I'm just starting to try an Android build and am getting an error trying to load the REMsettings.dat file from the streamingassets folder, using the exact same code that was working perfectly on IOS. I'm targetting Android 5.0 and building using unity 5.5.2f1

eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/REMsettings.dat");

This works fine in the editor but not on a connected Android tablet. Any ideas?

8. BlackboxJason

BlackboxJason

Hey Faikus, Great work on this. I have been using this asset for a while now but I ran across a weird issue when using it on a character that is walking forwards. It tracks the player object fine for a while but as it moves towards the object the head spins around and looks at the floor behind the character.

Check out the video to see what I mean.

I am using Unity 5.5 and there are no other scripts on that object other than REM. This issue does not appear when the animation contains no forward movement.

9. Faikus

Faikus

Thanks for the video. I'm working on an update that has (among other things) better support for when the character moves. Until then, you can add these lines at the end of the function Initialize of EyeAndHeadAnimator.cs:
    Code (csharp):
    2.             foreach (Transform t in createdTargetXforms)
    3.                 t.parent = transform;
    or you can disable eye animation when starting to move with lookTargetController.ClearLookTarget() and later start it again with lookTargetController.LookAroundIdly().

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  10. Faikus

Faikus

Hi, on Android the contents of StreamingAssets is in the packaged file, so you have to access the folder differently:

path = "jar:file://" + Application.dataPath + "!/assets/";

(from https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StreamingAssets.html)

11. reallypeople

reallypeople

Thanks Faikus,

I added the following:

if (Application.platform == RuntimePlatform.Android)
    {
    eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile("jar:file://" + Application.dataPath + "!/assets/REMsettings.dat");
    }
    else
    {
    eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(Application.streamingAssetsPath + "/REMsettings.dat");
    }

But it's still failing at ImportFromFile when running on an Android device.

The page you linked to says that on Android you need to use the www class to load from the streaming assets folder, so is it possible you could provide an example of how to modify ImportFromFile (and/or CanImportFromFile) to achieve this?

12. Faikus

Faikus

Sure, try this:

Code (csharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.IO;
    5. IEnumerator LoadPreset(string presetFilename)
    6. {
    7.    string path = "jar:file://" + Application.dataPath + "!/assets/" + presetFilename;
    8.    WWW loadPreset = new WWW(path);
    10.    yield return loadPreset;
    12.    string newPath = Application.persistentDataPath + "/" + presetFilename;
    13.    File.WriteAllBytes(newPath, loadPreset.bytes);
    14.    eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(newPath);
    15. }
    Just call this with StartCoroutine(LoadPreset("MyPreset.dat"));

13. reallypeople

reallypeople

Thanks, that gets me further, but it's still not perfect.

On the Android device I'm getting a "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at RealisticEyeMovements.EyeAndHeadAnimator.SetMicroSaccadeTarget (vector 3 target global)" immediately after the ImportFromFile

In the Editor, I get a 'SerializationException: serializationStream supports seeking but its length is 0' at the same point.

Does this give you enough to figure out what's going on?

14. reallypeople

reallypeople

BTW I can see the dat file being created in the files folder on the device, and it looks the right size (7.52KB) so that bit appears to be working.

15. Faikus

Faikus

In the editor you would still have to load it the old way, as the Streaming Assets are not in a jar file. So you could do something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. #if UNITY_EDITOR || UNITY_STANDALONE
    3.    EyeAndHeadAnimator eyeAndHeadAnimator = newCharacterGameObject.AddComponent<EyeAndHeadAnimator>();
    4.    eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(Application.streamingAssetsPath +
    5.    "/mypreset.dat");
    6.    LookTargetController lookTargetController = newCharacterGameObject.AddComponent<LookTargetController>();
    7.    lookTargetController.Initialize();
    8. #else
    9.    StartCoroutine(LoadPreset("mypreset.dat"));
    10. #endif
    As to the error on the Android device, maybe your code creates the LookTarget component before the EyeAndHeadAnimator is initalized? Can you try replacing, in the LoadPreset coroutine, the line

Code (csharp):
    2. eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(newPath);
    with

Code (csharp):
    2. EyeAndHeadAnimator eyeAndHeadAnimator = gameObject.AddComponent<EyeAndHeadAnimator>();
    3. eyeAndHeadAnimator.ImportFromFile(newPath);
    4. LookTargetController lookTargetController = gameObject.AddComponent<LookTargetController>();
    5. lookTargetController.Initialize();
    and delete the code you have in some other place that creates the two components?

16. reallypeople

reallypeople

Thank you so much. Works perfectly in both the editor and the android build now.

17. AVCVGames

AVCVGames

Hi, I just purchased REM and tried to implement in my Mixamo/Fuse model, but unfortunately it's been a lost cause. The problem is my Mixamo model's eyes are labeled "default" (which I changed to Eyes) but even worse, the eyes are not separate objects and REM seems to be looking for these as separate objects. When trying to use the Mixamo preset, here's the error I get:

X_Nurse2 (1): Cannot find path mixamorig:Hips/mixamorig:Spine/mixamorig:Spine1/mixamorig:Spine2/mixamorig:Neck/mixamorig:Head/mixamorig:LeftEye
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object, Object)
    RealisticEyeMovements.Utils:CanGetTransformFromPath(Transform, String) (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Scripts/Utils.cs:25)
    RealisticEyeMovements.EyeRotationLimiter:CanImport(EyeRotationLimiterForExport, Transform) (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Scripts/ControlData.cs:48)
    RealisticEyeMovements.ControlData:CanImport(ControlDataForExport, Transform) (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Scripts/ControlData.cs:747)
    RealisticEyeMovements.EyeAndHeadAnimator:CanImportFromFile(String) (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Scripts/EyeAndHeadAnimator.cs:319)
    RealisticEyeMovements.EyeAndHeadAnimatorEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/RealisticEyeMovements/Editor/EyeAndHeadAnimatorEditor.cs:50)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Here's a screenshot of my model's tree:
    REM_Mixissue.jpg
    I'm not sure if there was some setting I should've checked or missed in Fuse or not, but I could use some help here. I also made sure IK was uncheked, but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

18. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

R.E.M. works with Fuse figures.

Make sure your figure's rig is set to Humanoid (import settings), and the Mecanim Animator Controller is set to "IK Pass" (see blue checkmark in this pic)

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 10.44.57 PM.png

Here's my screen cap from very early in this forum (page 1 or 2) for my Fuse figures. The REM options may have changed but the basics are still there… Most important is to set:
    Eye Control: MECANIM EYE BONES
    Eyelid Control: BLENDSHAPES

[​IMG]

Good luck!

19. Faikus

Faikus

Hi,

REM doesn't look for separate eye meshes, but for eye bones. In addition to what wetcircuit said about the Humanoid rig, in that same import tab (where you choose between Humanoid and Generic rig), make sure that either "Optimize Game Objects" is unchecked (otherwise it removes bones like eye bones from the game object) or if you want to keep it checked, expose the eye bones.

If the bones still don't appear when you uncheck Optimize Game Objects, then this Mixamo figure wasn't exported with eye bones. I think there is a checkbox in Mixamo Fuse where you can set the number of bones to export, maybe look for that. Otherwise, what you could do is to separate the eye meshes in a 3D program and set REM's eye control to eye game objects instead of Mecanim eye bones. Or you just disable the eye mesh and add eyes from a Unity asset like Eye Advanced.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  20. pjdlh

pjdlh

Hi,

Great asset. Had it working well in another project then updated from asset store last night and imported into project but cant see the Head Transform control in either script so nowhere to reference head and as a result, not getting any head movement...how do I fix this?

21. Faikus

Faikus

The head transform field appears if your character doesn't have an animator or if the rig doesn't have a head bone. Did you add an animator to your character?

22. Alvarezmd90

Alvarezmd90

I have an issue which I think is able to be solved some way. It's just haven't managed to figure it out.

I'm using a LookAtIk component from FINAL IK and it is also moves the body to follow the player. Only then it causes the npc to shake like crazy. When I set the slider of body weight to zero it works normally again. Why is that? I have another scripts attached that does this in the update:

eyeAndHeadAnimator.Update1();
    lookAtIK.solver.Update();
    eyeAndHeadAnimator.Update2();

23. Faikus

Faikus

If you just use LookAtIK and don't need complicated updates between different FinalIK components, you don't need the Update1/Update2 thing (it should work anyway of course, maybe there is something else in your setup that causes the problem), just add a LookAtIK component, set the desired spine objects and set the head/body sliders, and you don't need to call any update functions. Is there a reason you manually call the update functions?