Search Unity

[Released] R.A.M River Auto Material.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, Oct 13, 2017.

1. khos

khos

Hi, sorry for not explaining more, I'd like to ask if your river tool can automcally spawn water spray/particles on objects (like rocks) that are in the path of fast moving water in the river spline. It might add a bit more realism.
    Maybe as an eg see this sample video:
    https://ak9.picdn.net/shutterstock/...rom-fast-moving-waterfalls-hitting-a-rock.mp4
    How would you approach this?

2. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Its old version:) we rebuild alot from this moment
    Nope , particles must be added manualy.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  3. Keaneo

Keaneo

Not sure what you mean - I have the latest versions of everything I believe.

4. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Today developer will check this case as first task:)

5. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Could you send us this scene ? or scene with spline only?

6. mantekkerz

mantekkerz

Does RAM support any type of fog? It's just ignoring whatever solution I try. I use TOD and it's scattering works perfectly on Play Way Water once PW is set to render in forward.

Any tips?

7. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

There must be added few lines to support scattering. Like in pdf to support enviro scatter. Scatter is not by default in engine so transparent shaders must be modified to support it.

8. mantekkerz

mantekkerz

@NatureManufacture so it's not supported? It's weird that PW seem to be the only ones who got this right.

9. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Out of the box nope. We will try to add this but... its not by default in unity. Anyway it's rather easy to add support. All scatter systems have pdf or step by step how to add this to transparent shaders.

Mark_01 likes this.
  10. Keaneo

Keaneo

Can't send the whole scene unfortunately. How do I send just the spline?

11. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Just scene with only spline.
    Hmm coppy it as backup remove all your stuff. Only please leave this spline, then send me just scene file.

12. LNMRae

LNMRae

No, I don't have anything open but the Basic R.A.M window. Checking over the manual, I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. It behaves like it's reading the raycast at the wrong position and places points far away from the mouse.

13. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Send us small demo we will check this;)
    We raycast so:
    - Object under spline don't have collider
    - Your phisics layers exclude layers under spline
    - Time = 0
    Only this kind of things.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  14. overmats

overmats

Hi,

just watched the new R.A.M - v.1.4 Features and wanted to try out the wet stone shader, but i cannot find it anywhere. The latest asset store version is installed. Also cannot find the new flowmap feature. is there anything wrong with the asset store version, or do i miss somehing?

15. Duffer123

Duffer123

@NatureManufacture ,

Looking at buying this Asset.

Couple of questions:-

- making flowmaps for Aquas is a bind... Does this Asset automatically create them for you?;

- are there any River or 'Estuarine' shore line effects?;

- are you building any kind of integration package for GAIA as it stands to ensure that R.A.M. plays nicely within Gaia with Enviro, Aquas and CTS?; and

- and how many tutorial vids are there so far?

Your responses appreciated, thanks.

16. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hmmm. Did you update files? Yeah, it seams you have old files.
    - Basic flowmap yes, you manage it by 2 curves then you add local changes yourself. Soon automatic function will have more features in this area. Thats why we call it beta:).
    - You could change speed on borders to become lower or faster, in next version there will be more.
    - Yes, as We co-op with Adam with assets there will be Gaia integration. Adam already use it with R.A.M in his projects.
    - We will start rather creating series of movies but not as tutorials. Tehere are few old and 1 new movie how to use this pack. I would suggest to check this new movie with all features.

Mark_01 and Duffer123 like this.
  17. Duffer123

Duffer123

@NatureManufacture ,

Thanks for the prompt response. Didn't realise it was in beta.…. Pretty good already for beta!

Gonna buy it.

18. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It will be much better every update. Step by step:) anyway now it works properly and is fully usable. We will just add more features

Mark_01 and Duffer123 like this.
  19. magique

magique

@NatureManufacture I'm trying to use this on the Wii U and I get some shader errors. It works fine in PC mode, but when I switch platforms then I get the following error in 2 shaders:

In Standard_Metallic_Wet and Standard_Specular_Wet shaders:

Unrecognized #pragma surface directive: dithercrossfade

All other shaders seem to compile fine. I can get the shader to compile by commenting out the dithercrossfade keyword, but the results don't work. I can't see any water in the scene.

20. Stereo_Image

Stereo_Image

Cannot get it to work in VR with single pass (instanced) only single pass anyone else try this?

21. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Im not sure if wet shader will work on Wii U. What shader model is there etc? It could be a bit too complicated. In next version.
    Did you use mobile shaders or tesseled or which?

What happend? There were few users which use it in single pass.

22. magique

magique

Wii U has shader model 4. I just opened the demo scene only and didn't try doing anything else.

23. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

At demo scene all shaders are tesseled so 4.6+. Change materials into non tesseled.

24. magique

magique

OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

25. Stereo_Image

Stereo_Image

Singles pass (instanced) is a different mode then just Single Pass
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/11/2...r-performance-with-advanced-stereo-rendering/

26. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

We didn't test it with this config.
    I not sure but I would say this kind of render for this object don't give big value. River is not an object that will be places so many times to gives adventages of using such rendering.

I didn't personaly play with this option yet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  27. magique

magique

I changed to the shader to mobile and it works, but it's incredibly slow. Even if I remove all the waterfall particle effects and all the splines and seas except for one I only get 23 fps on the Wii U.

28. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You talking about demo scene? Terrain and 2k textures on it, particles etc were not designed as mobile scene:). Water shading is cheap - at mobile version for mobile, our demo scene designed for standalone is not;)

Not sure why you trying on our demo scene, it were not designed for mobiles.

29. magique

magique

As I said, I removed everything from the demo scene except terrain and 1 ram spline with mobile shader. I checked the terrain and it is only 257 resolution. On the Wii U that should be a rock solid 60 fps.

30. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

so turn off the spline and check fps without it. Everything depends from tex resolution and terrain pixel error and also from splatmap res. If without spline fps will be low that means it terrain:) if not shader then and its easy to optimose it more.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  31. magique

magique

Ok, I'll humor you. I'll be back with the results shortly.

32. magique

magique

Hmmm. OK, so it looks like there's a lot more to this scene than meets the eye. After removing the spline I only got about 28 fps so I starting digging deeper. I see you have 7 textures on the terrain, which is odd because it's not 4 or 8. So I reduced down to just 4 textures. I also saw the camera had MSAA allowed. After fixing those then I get about 55 fps without the spline. It should still be 60 fps at this point, but maybe some other small factor there.

So, I added back in the single ram spline and now getting 30-33 fps. I'll try a few more things and see what happens, but it doesn't look like much is going to help this.

[EDIT]
    Removing all light probes and reflection probes and going to strict realtime lighting then I get about 42-44 fps. Better, but a far cry from where it should be.

[EDIT 2]
    Got it up to 50 fps by reducing texture size to 1024, pixel error up to 20, and terrain cast shadows off. I'm pretty sure I've done everything possible now aside from turning off the ram spline again. So performance impact seems to be about 10 fps on the Wii U, which is very heavy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  33. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Reduce texture res to 1k in spline and in terrain:) like I said demo was not designed for mobile.

34. magique

magique

Oh, I didn't try this one. Be right back.

[EDIT]
    The 1k change to river textures for the spline didn't add any more performance.

35. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

So its not mostly related to r.a.m btw check amount of verts at spline. Maybe density is too big. Anyway terrain lower res should help alot. Im not wii u dev so i dont know what is bottleneck there.

36. magique

magique

How do I do that?

Not really. 257 is totally fine for the Wii U and shouldn't be a bottleneck at all in my experience.

[EDIT]
    If I export spline as mesh it only has 144 tris so that's not a problem.

37. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You have used mobile with flowmap or without?
    Im at phone but :
    Check gi baked data
    Realtime is ok for wii u?
    There are lightprobes?
    You turned out reflection probes ?
    Reflection probes have turned off hd?
    Hd is turned off in camera?
    Heightmap res is 257 but how about splat control and basemap res?
    How about lod in terrain?
    Basemap distance value?
    Anisotropy value?

38. magique

magique

I'll check all these things next time I am at computer.

39. BMayzak

BMayzak

I just learned how to use this asset a week ago and really love what's it's capable of..

Unfortunately, I've had a couple times now where my rivers become permanently uneditable. I can go through the motions of scaling, moving, and rotating the river points but the mesh no longer visually updates and if I save and return the mesh has not changed. This is currently keeping me from using this asset for production-level since I can't reliably create something that will still be editable tomorrow.

Hopefully something that can be patched out soon; I really do love the results I've seen from using this asset.

If it helps, I'm using Unity 2017.3.1f1 with the 1.4 version of R.A.M.

40. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Any errors on background? We never notice something like that and we use it in our projects for loong time.
    Screens or demo project with issue?
    Are you sure you dont have any compile errors in background from anything else which could stop script from working (editor scripts could be stoped if there are compile errors in project)?
    It's first time when such thing was raported so I would suggest to check project. If this would be common issue we would be spammed with this issue he he. Thats why I suggest to check project first for any errors and issues:)

41. Necka_

Necka_

Hi,
    I bought your asset today and I'm quite astonished by it. It's purely awesome.
    I'm working on a low poly environment (with things like Stylised rocks) and I was wondering when you think you'll support those kind of objects especially for the watered effect. Wanted to quickly try with the vertex painter, applied the Metal Wet shader and obviously the result is ugly :(

Saw in the roadmap it was delayed; any information? if you need someone to test I can maybe help

Thanks a lot

42. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Why it was ugly? screen? Your goal is non pbr? and non standard shader lighting?

43. Necka_

Necka_

Well I'm not sure. I just think the textures on my assets are way too simple to handle.

I took 3 screenshots; one with standard shader (the painting doesn't do anything to it. I guess it works only with your shaders, right?)
    One picture with the Metallic Wet applied
    And the last picture witht he metallic wet applied and painted

I do think it's needed to have other kind of textures to work fine

Attached Files:

44. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You dont use ao right? etc? its non pbr? What shaders you use for other models? Maybe i can give you shader to support your rocks and render type. Normaly it's 5 min to change it.

45. Necka_

Necka_

The materials I use on rocks don't have AO no
    It's the Standard Shader (I have no clue what are PBR, I guess it's not really for LowPolyStyle)
    I'd just like to have some kind of little rain drops on top of the material (and that it's darker when I paint it with vertex painter)

What would you require, the textures I'm using or the materials?

Thanks a lot for your help!

46. Necka_

Necka_

47. BMayzak

BMayzak

Maybe something new in 1.4? I'm not sure; I checked and don't see the console throwing any errors or anything. I've attached a gif showing the behavior

Maybe this is related but I noticed at one point there were large black polygons attached to the end of my river at one point (and they stretched out at a random direction), and no idea where they came from. When I reloaded they no longer showed. Maybe something happened that corrupted my river, but I have no idea what I did to prevent it from happening again.

I have another river in my scene that is working normally, so it's something with this one specifically that is having issues (I already remade this river again since the same thing happened before).

48. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

If you could send us retarded river with scene it would be awsome. We will check data etc.

49. BMayzak

BMayzak

Ahh, I figured it out!

The river had a "Z_Additional Vertex Streams" component on it that, when deleted, allows the river to be editable again. I've been trying out Unity's new Polybrush tool and I think what happened was I must have accidentally clicked on my RAM river when painting and it created this component on it.

Sorry for the scare, but good to know in case anyone happens to have this issue in the future. If you're using Polybrush painting and your RAM river mysteriously stops working check to see if there is a Z_Additional Vertex Streams on your river and delete it.

NatureManufacture likes this.
  50. holdingjason

holdingjason

Hi. Great shader. Having a small issue (I hope) with shadows. As you can see in this shot the fish are no longer casting shadow on the bottom. If I stop rendering the river water the shadows show up. Any clue why?

Using your water river tesseled shader. Thanks a bunch.

UPDATE: Ok adding this "ForceNoShadowCasting" = "True" fixed the problem. Any issues with doing this that I should be aware of? Negative of having this on or some weird behavior that will happen that I am not seeing (looks the same other then I see fish shadows now)

upload_2018-4-17_14-14-34.png

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018