Search Unity

[Released] R.A.M River Auto Material.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, Oct 13, 2017.

1. hollegar

hollegar

Does this happen each time you create a new river?

2. ZhouCCCCCCCC

ZhouCCCCCCCC

YES,Including rivers and lakes

3. hollegar

hollegar

Hi, I tested on 1.7.2 unity 2021.2.5 and can't replicate an error, do you have any other assets in the project?

4. ZhouCCCCCCCC

ZhouCCCCCCCC

My departed colleague had installed older versions of RAM and L.A.L and environment packs from unknown sources. But there was a BUG problem yesterday. I copied my colleague's 1.7.1 RAM. There was a BUG in the beginning. But at some point the BUG went away.

5. Sunstrace

Sunstrace

Is RAM support ECS? I try to add convertToEntity script to a river,but in runtime it only give me a red modle.

6. RSH1

RSH1

Why is my river hard-edged?

It doesn't change texture at the sides where it hits the terrain, like in the video tutorial:

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  7. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

No light at scene?

8. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

In HD and URP shaders support DOTS. From scripts side you would have to export r.a.m spline into mesh. What engine version you got?

9. RSH1

RSH1

There's a directional light in the first image. Here's the test scene with a directional light added:

This is in 2021.3.2f1. On both Android and PC build mode.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  10. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

1. URP? If yesremember about depth test and opaque texture checkboxes.
    2. Please show screen from directional light setup if its unity standard.
    3. At our scene it looks fine?

11. RSH1

RSH1

Built in. I've tried it in a fresh new project and it seems to work okay there. I'm wondering if, because I have another asset of yours (Forest Environment Dynamic Nature) which seems to contain a trial RAM for the demo scene, there's some sort of conflict? I tried deleting the RAM Trial and object shaders folders from the Forest folders but it's still not working properly. Is there something else I need to do?

EDIT: I deleted the Library folder and the main RAM folder, did a complete re-import and it seems to be working now. Although it doesn't work with the mobile shader or when the build target is Android, does this effect not work on mobile?

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  12. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

For mobile there is checkbox at material if you want to use screen color --> distortion for shallow water but it's expensive.

13. Crowsinger

Crowsinger

Hello. I have a strange thing happening in a lake I'm making. I'm using:

Unity 2021.3.2f1 URP
    MapMagic 2 for terrain
    R.A.M.

There is a straight line running across the lake where the water changes color. What can I do about this? Thanks

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2022
  14. khos

khos

Can your asset handle dynamic water deformation / tessellation? E.g. if a footstep or wheel goes into the water?
    E.g. like this (0:46 timestamp)

15. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Nope

16. khos

khos

Ok, would something like that ever be on the roadmap? Would be rather useful.

17. Crowsinger

Crowsinger

Hello. I'm on the Terrain tab for the road spline, but pressing the "Remove Details Foliage" and "Remove Trees" aren't doing anything. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks

18. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Answered on discord.

We will try :)

khos likes this.
  19. XR-Phil

XR-Phil

Hi Everyone. I have an issue with RAM(1.7.9) in Unity 2021.3.1f1 HDRP. I created a lake and a river, though both spline profiles i used aren´t animated. I just see the the static result, even ingame there is no floating river or moving waves on the lake. Did i forget sth. ? I tried the other profiles, still no animation in the scene or ingame.

20. IRS-Remi

IRS-Remi

Hi everyone,
    First thank you for this incredible asset !

I have a question. I run a project where I proceduraly generate rivers (that are a set of Vector3 points). I send those set of points to the River RAM system to plot river on my terrain.
    It works fine but I do not manage to perform nice river branching.

Below two examples :

Example 1 : the two rivers on the top are compiting each other
    1. The top left corner is carved first
    2. The top right corner is carved second
    3. The bottom central is carved third
    Note : my two top rivers are flowing down on the bottom river
    Riverbranching1.png

Example 2 : same idea here
    Riverbranching2.png

Is there a way to better manage those branching with the existing asset (throught scripting because the goal is procedural generation)?
    Or do I need to manage myself an add-on pluging to solve this point ?

If needed, I can send more details.

Thank you in advance !

21. RSH1

RSH1

How do you change a river's direction?

22. Keaneo

Keaneo

Using RAM 2019, Unity 2021.3.9f1, URP - The river disappears if I view through a camera with "Post Processing" enabled.

without.jpg with.jpg

23. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Please follow readme file related to urp to the end. There are 2 checkboxes which you miss.

24. Keaneo

Keaneo

Hi - I think you are referring to "Depth Texture" and "Opaque Texture" but I do have both these turned on. I also tried setting these on the camera directly, but it gives the same issue.

Are these the settings? I'd really love to fix this ASAP!

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  25. knas01

knas01

Hi, I couldn't find anything about under water effects, so I guess this asset doesn't have a transition effect for when the camera enters water? If so, is there a way to make this work together with other assets that does this effect?

26. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Q: Doest r.a.m have underwater effect?
    A: No, but you can use that one:

27. knas01

knas01

@NatureManufacture Nice, I was actually looking at that asset, but could not see anything that implied them working together.

28. ratking

ratking

What would be the easiest way to change RAM's shader so it supports custom screenspace fog?

29. the_unity_saga

the_unity_saga

hello dev, i notice by default the objects in test scene don't float with bouyancy unless i set collision layers disabled with water , or else they collide on top of mesh water spline. by default

but I also notice the square shape objects twitch and act abnormal

but capsul object that gets wet, does not, and is most stable

any ideas?

30. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It depend from custom fog system. In most cases such change add texture sample for such fog depth. Each such custom light/fog system always provide info how to fix all transprarent shaders inside engine to force them work.

ratking likes this.
  31. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Did you follow video tutorial and manual step by step about this part of the system? Yes you must uncheck collisions because until it's turned on objects will stary on water surface, thats resonable.

32. GarrettF

GarrettF

Hey I'm using RAM 2019 in Unity 2022.2 HDRP. The materials are pink after importing the HD package and putting the SSS Diffusion profile in the HDRP Asset.

I noticed your readme and forum posts say that RAM works with Unity 2022.2 HDRP Version 13.x
    The version of unity I am using has HDRP Version 14.x.

Is RAM not compatible with HDRP v14.x? I'm willing to move into a 2022.1 project if I have to. I just want to know.

If I could get this working in 2022.2 HDRP 14.x that would be great though.

Thanks

Attached Files:

33. GarrettF

GarrettF

So I did some googling and I found that this "Undefined Shadow Algorithm" error is common with 3rd party shaders in newer versions of HDRP.

I found a line that someone else had mentioned they had to add to all of their 3rd party shaders

#pragma multi_compile_fragment AREA_SHADOW_MEDIUM AREA_SHADOW_HIGH

I'll be the first to admit, I've never even tried dabbling in HLSL, never mind do I have any idea what I'm doing. So I went ahead and pasted that into all of the shaders for RAM 2019 HDRP and now it's working.

So I wanted to ask if this is an actual fix or if this is something I probably shouldn't have done.

If anyone who actually knows anything about HLSL could chime in that would be good.

For now it's working.

34. GarrettF

GarrettF

Well Unity keeps recompiling the shaders and removing that one line. I have to re-add it once in a while. But it's working none the less.

35. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Version for 2022.2 and hd rp 14.x is online since 1 week. Please update your asset:)

36. ccfoo242

ccfoo242

The Demos (URP and Standard, haven't tried HDRP) in 1.7.9.3 don't seem to work.

All of the cameras in the URP demos are missing a script. Is there a package I am missing? I am using 2021.3.16, URP, Cinemachine 2.8.9, Post Processing 3.2.2.

When I loaded the URP file "URP 12.1 Unity 2021.3 River Auto Material 2019" afterward I saw these warnings:
    upload_2023-1-5_20-2-40.png

When I run any of the URP demo scenes there's a missing camera script:
    upload_2023-1-5_20-6-16.png

There are no compile errors, only the above warnings.

What are the demos supposed to do? I can't move with mouse or keyboard, just sits like this:
    upload_2023-1-5_20-10-8.png

Created a standard 3d project and tried the mobile demo and got this:
    upload_2023-1-5_20-21-27.png
    Same with the RAM 2019 Demo Stylized.

The offset and tesselated demos run without error but is there supposed to be a way to move in the scene? No keyboard or mouse movement is possible. I looks in the docs and it doesn't say.

37. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi
    "Created a standard 3d project and tried the mobile demo and got this:"
    Built in: Restart engine. After you added post processing to scene you need sometimes to restart engine because current scene may throw errors from post processing. It happend since 2 years. Just restart engine and it will be fine.

Built in: Only missing at camera could be from post processing scripts. you didnt import post processing from package manager.

URP: In the past URP projects with samples had free fly camera script we added it into camera. So if you create URP project with samples via unity HUB you may have free fly camera and you will be able to fly around scene.

Screen from URP 2021.3:
    upload_2023-1-9_8-38-15.png

"What are the demos supposed to do? I can't move with mouse or keyboard, just sits like this:"
    Demos are for scene view. There are no moving camera in most cases. R.A.M 2019 is editor tool. Check video tutorial, modify scenes, splines, lakes play with them.

I hope this helps;)

ccfoo242 likes this.
  38. ccfoo242

ccfoo242

Thanks for the reply. I'll be honest, I considered just requesting a refund. I think if I had never used Unity before I would be lost with all the references to "lightweight render pipeline" in the documentation, and the errors in the demos. I know LWRP was renamed to URP but new users wouldn't know that.

Is there any way your demo scenes can detect that post processing or some other package isn't installed and prompt the user or download them automatically? Or could you include the required packages for the demos in the readme?

Another suggestion (I know you didn't ask, sorry): A quick start guide and/or video would be nice. I brought up your tutorial on youtube and its very thorough, but a short, 10 minute video that lets someone see results quickly would be a great addition. You could include a "quick start" scene with a link to the video, perhaps.

Anyway, I really like what I have seen so far. Thanks for the great work!

39. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

"Thanks for the reply. I'll be honest, I considered just requesting a refund. I think if I had never used Unity before I would be lost with all the references to "lightweight render pipeline" in the documentation, and the errors in the demos. I know LWRP was renamed to URP but new users wouldn't know that."

It was in 2018:p I forgot about LW RP that it ever exist already:p btw in fact it was better then most urp versions.

"Is there any way your demo scenes can detect that post processing or some other package isn't installed and prompt the user or download them automatically? Or could you include the required packages for the demos in the readme?"
    Nope but project without post processing is rather odd as you dont have control over the screen and it style.
    We cannot include post processing as it's in unity package manager and it's unity internal file which everyone can download. They update it from time to time.

"Another suggestion (I know you didn't ask, sorry): A quick start guide and/or video would be nice. I brought up your tutorial on youtube and its very thorough, but a short, 10 minute video that lets someone see results quickly would be a great addition. You could include a "quick start" scene with a link to the video, perhaps."

Actual video is pretty short but... there are Let's Nature Manufacture videos where i build map and use r.a.m and you can lern alot from that.

Haxel0rd likes this.
  40. ccfoo242

ccfoo242

Ok perhaps include something in the scenes saying which packages they need? I'm just trying to help out the next person who might think everything is broken and request a refund.

Your how-to videos are 1 hour and 1.5 hours. Those aren't what I would call short.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  41. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Under video you have timeline and there is part about roads and rivers. They are short:)

23:40 Level Design - Initial river placement
    26:45 Level Design - Road placement and setup
    29:40 Level Design - Terrain shape finishing process

JohngUK and ccfoo242 like this.
  42. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hello, when i zoom out in game or in scene a part of the river disappear

Attached Files:

43. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Expected, both RAM and the terrain are lower polygons at a distance for performance purposes.

either deepen your river beds in those sections or lessen the R.A.M mesh or terrain mesh simplification (less performance)

claudius_I likes this.
  44. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Be sure you use instanced terrain (checkbox at terrain) - it hold shape of terrain in far distance lod's much better.

45. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Unless you're one of the many microstuff users, then you can't use instanced terrains. B is right though, use instanced terrain where possible. :)

46. Parafron

Parafron

If anyone in 2023 reaches this point and still has the error

maximum ps_4_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded

in the shader, you can follow this thread https://forum.unity.com/threads/shader-error-in-universal-render-pipeline-lit-maximum-ps_4_0-sampler-register-index-16-exceeded.1251816/

after following the guide attached or replacing the shaders with the enviro versions from the package for Third Party support,
    you basically have to remove one sampled2d variable. Since some normal textures are the same i commented out

uniform sampler2D _MicroWaveNormal;

and replaced it in code with _SlowWaterNormal.

47. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

ps 4 is for super old devices. Do you use dx10 or lower?

48. jason0663

jason0663

I have had to increase the size of my open world terrain do to features and scaling so ive gone from a 16 by 16k terrain tiled into 256 ik tiles at 1025 res per tile and 5000ft height to one of 32k by 32k. RAM 2019 had no problem with a 16k size size and worked flawlessly EXCEPT it would crash upon texture paint. This is not a problem because vegetation studio was painting the textures as a mask with RAM for my rivers. However, Im now pretty much forced to work with a 32k map for what Im doing and ram crashs after it carves the terrain everytime after scene repaint in the editor. i have only doubled the overall area size and dropped the res per tile in half to accomodate the size. I spent 8 months messing with ram to conclude that it WILL NOT CARVE ANYTHING ABOVE 5000 METERS ON ANY SIZE TERRAIN. So i worked that issue out by adjusting my terrain height to 5000ft to accomodate RAM for this project which entailed months of re-designing my terrain. Anyhow, any ideas what he issue is? Ive messed with tris for the river and making a a straight up strip without any river bending or resizing and it crashes everytime. it cant be a unity version issue because it happens on multiple versions of the latest lte's

49. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

isn't that out of memory at unity?

50. jason0663

jason0663

Hi, ok, I have remade terrain to ht it will accept at that size, 3200 meters. RAM wont carve anything higher than that at that size. So I got RAM working for my size of terrain and height, 32k by 32k cut up into 1024 tiles at 513 res per tile and a height of 3200 meters. I am not happy my height is limited to 32oo meters on a terrain that size, I could live with 5000 meters but 3200 isnt adequate for a terrain that size, but RAm is working good at this height. My question is why does cascade have no problem carving at any size or height and RAM does?. No, unity is able to handle the memory for this size when tiled. Unity is able to handle this size no problem. Unity will handle twice this size actually at reduced res (256k) but the terrain starts looking to hacky, the features cus of res.The only problem I have faced with extremely larg terrains so far is getting RAm to work! I would save the grey hair and revert to cascade but cascade is not going to aesthetically cut it for me. I may have to go with custom made rivers adding hundreds of hours of work. Surely this is a code adjustment?