Search Unity

[Released] R.A.M River Auto Material.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, Oct 13, 2017.

1. TipTop3D

TipTop3D

Hello everyone.
    Great asset, thank you.
    I have a problem with lakes. I can't add points to create lake. Ctrl + left mouse will select terrain, not creating a point.
    What could be the problem?
    2020.2.6f1 HDRP
    Microsplat terrain
    River works ok

Edit: got it working. Disabling/enabling Gizmos helped

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Turn on gizmo button at scene window.

3. ak98

ak98

Hi there ive found that by using the terrain part of this tool, its really easy to get sharp lines and specific shapes for terrain painting. :D

Though Ive recently come across a problem where the carving and painting is happening at a completley different location to the lake polygon, but it works with the river spline.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You have world creator or other generator that hold virtual terrain?

5. koirat

koirat

When using RAM with Vegetation studio.
    Vegetation mask takes like 2 to 3 units more than a polyline around lake, can I reduce this margin.
    Can I disable Vegetation mask that is created by default on a lake.
    Can I allow some objects to be spawned on a lake(imagine swamp and trees on a swamp)

6. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Its rather VS question:) but seams both are possible.
    Yes you can reduce margin.

7. koirat

koirat

My fault. It was water level in my Vegetation Studio.
    When I have auto-carved my terrain with R.A.M it went below the Vegetation S.... water level and made all the foliage below impossible.
    I assumed RAM auto created vegetation mask for vegetation studio.

8. TKDHayk

TKDHayk

Can someone give me some advice on how to blend between 2 river splines? I'm trying to create a branching river but how do I make it visually blend? I can hide the seam with particles effects and rocks but is there another way? Screenshot attached for reference :)

upload_2021-3-24_10-18-1.png

9. TKDHayk

TKDHayk

I have notice da troubling issue. once a river has been cut into Sub meshes, it becomes impossible to edit the position of the nodes without errors. Anyone have a workaround?

10. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

What errors?
    At tutorial there is part about vertex alpha blend and render queue setup.

TKDHayk likes this.
  11. David-T

David-T

I'm having an issue with the river rendering. I've been looking through this thread and Google search for anyone experiencing this, but haven't found an answer.

I added a RamSpline to the scene, created points and then added a river profile. The water does single-side rendering on the wrong side. I can't see the river when viewing down, but if I look up from underneath the river in the scene view I can see the rendering.

I tried changing a bunch of settings, including in the RAM river shader without any luck. I checked to make sure the game object and points aren't rotated. I also tested it by creating a new project and just added a terrain and a RamSpline and seeing the same issue.

If I drag and drop the road profile onto the Spline profile property, the road shows up correctly, but none of the river profiles work.

What could cause this?

I'm using Unity 2020.2.7f1, URP 10.3.1, and latest version of River Auto Material.

Edit: It looks like it is showing in the game view correctly when playing, but it is difficult to adjust the river points in the game scene when no texture is showing.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  12. Recon03

Recon03

I seen your review and post, Not to stir up anything but, I wanted to make a comment based on actually mobile developer experience . I made plenty of open world games.. mobile included. You had an issue that NM, had said no one uses terrain, well, he is actually wrong... I always use a terrain... I don't use a mesh... a MESH, you have many cons to it . sure you can save a few frame rates.. but, he is right though you need to be chunking, your terrain, and it can depend what else is on in your scene... But a lot of people do use a mesh for mobile, he is right about that, and mostly because many are not artist and don't understand how to optimize properly for mobile.. No offense, but I do this a lot.. to them... Unity terrain, is over all more expensive, but you need to weight the pros and cons of anything in game development, you can how ever use a Unity terrain..... but, be sure to optimize them properly with smaller chunks... He mention this and he is right 100% about that. that is super important.
    Now for Distance terrains, be sure to use Imposters, or mesh terrains.. this is important. for some of the mid size to larger maps. Unity is terrible for games with terrains, so a bit of work is needed....

NM also sells World Streamer, which handles terrains..... I used for years and it worked really well... but to be honest, I use the older version over the new version. for my own reasons. ( I have a lot of my own tools integrated over the years.. regardless, I recommend to look into it. but out of the box, its fantastic .. for games with terrains......

SO any time I would help people I would always have them profile it, you had stated you had ", with just a terrain (700x700) and one R.A.M. I was getting 40 to 55 fps (depending on where in the scene I was looking.." This tells me, you had other things in the scene, that where not optimized This is common. sure 700 X700 isn't that big, but its mobile and its VR, Unity is not really designed well for any terrain for that matter... Mobile, to optimize a scene with a terrain, and foliage alone is a challenge with out VR.... So this does add to the challenge.. What I found ODD, why you would use DOTS.. You should NEVER use something that is being developed...due to changes, things broken....DOTS is not ready for any real development, just yet.... HDRP, URP is the same way... So, you will RUN into all sorts of fun performance issues with DOTS, URP, HDRP, to be fair .. I get what you where saying about the other comments and agree with you .

But to be fair, if this is for anything serious, you should know as a 20 year software dev, not to use anything, like Unity 2020, or 2021.....Stay back a few versions.... stay away from stuff that is being developed.... like URP, HDRP, and DOTS.... DOTS I bet Unity trashes it..... that is for another subject and time.. But after being a game developer myself for a living for almost 30 years...using many different game engines, and using Unity for over a decade , I have learned to stay away from this ... Unless I'm just learning new tech, or checking out what Unity is up to , to keep up...... This will save you headaches.....and head banging....

anyways good luck with your project and I hope you got it working..

PS: be sure to profile your builds...Sometimes you are just getting nasty Editor lag as well..... This is the best way to actually optimize your scenes properly. mobile even more so. I have used DOTS, URP, HDRP, extensively.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    JamesWjRose likes this.
  13. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Morning,

Thank you very much for the detailed response. That said, 40 to 55 fps for mobile VR is completely unacceptable.

My complaint to the company is that they stated it worked with DOTS and then stated that they didn't test it. That is NOT ok. Then they attempted to blame me, and all I asked was if there was something I was doing/not doing. Their response was not acceptable. In PCVR the river works VERY well, and I even state that in my review. It's a terrific asset, REALLY, so long as it's not used on Mobile VR. And in fairness, mobile VR is WAY underpowered, which is understandable considering the needs: 72fps x2. So I absolutely get it, it's the company's response that was S***!

Last point: I believe I mentioned this, but for other future ref I had the terrain (700x700x200) and the river in the scene, no other assets. Light was baked as was occlusion. So yea, if there is something else I should be doing... I'm ok with being wrong (REALLY!) When I reviewed profiler it was the river taking the time.

So anyway, thank you again. I do appreciate the feedback. Have a wonderful week.

Recon03 likes this.
  14. Recon03

Recon03

No I understand, and agree with some of what you said. But at the same time, the whole DOTS thing, Unity has really made a mess of it. Also as a developer, I see there side to, its normally never ending, and everyone expects them to fix things, that they can't or don't have access to.. Unity makes it a nightmare, for them and anyone making any real development. I'm not making excuses, for anyone. But this just is a fact. This is why I use a more professional engine like UE. or others.

But as far as NM, I have worked with Bart the developer for a long time, he will help you, if you ask.

So I would also share the devices you are using so we are able to get a better sense as well, since this also can vary, and many times, be device related.... Could this still be an issue with the shader and mobile? sure it can. But, just saying I get 40-55 FPS, with out any information about your game, scene, profiler, stats, device.... we are all flying blind, I wouldn't even attempt to know what is wrong, with out that. I have done a ton of consulting, for console, PC, mobile over the years, so this is important to you.

If you have a build, ask some others to test for you as well, to see what kind of frame rates you are getting. But take a screenshot of your profiler of the issue you are seeing. This would be important and I would be asking for to see.

I know you are stuck on the DOTS issue.. "DOTS support for HD and URP 2019.3+" Yes this is something, that should be addressed and I agree with you on. to be fair to both sides. But some times, I know Bart will rely on us as developers to test, since he is not a AAA company, to test and some users prolly said this works with it...

I know many times I have said to him, that it works with such and such over the years. and he will post that it does. He can't test everything, that is impossible. So that may of what he meant, that he himself, has not used it on DOTS, I don't want to speak for him, but i'm just sharing my experiences, since I been around a long time and know Bart fairly well, I don't speak to him as much in the last year or so, since we both are busy and I'm retired from client, and studio life. but I do some mobile dev again to teach my kids. now a days.

Also thanks for that info, about having nothing else in the scene, when you profiled it was it a built scene? or editor?

Just Curious, have you used any other water shader and tested it? also have you tested it with out VR?

PS: Is this your first VR mobile game or mobile game at all?

as far as Light was baked as was occlusion. .....don't bake your lighting with Unity.. for mobile.. it is total trash.

Thanks, you have a great weekend as well James. I understand, about being frustrated and pissed off. Sometimes, we need to take a step back. It won't help you being mad . Just saying. and I do understand, about the DOTS comment, about something you bought.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    DigitalIPete2 likes this.
  15. JamesWjRose

JamesWjRose

Unity has really F***ed up on DOTS, indeed. And I did ask for help, and the response was something that shouldn't be said. "We haven't tested it" THEN WHY THE F*** ARE YOU ADVERTISTING IT! That is my ENTIRE point. Then he blamed me. Seriously not ok, because it was 100% on them/him.

Not my first VR project, but I only got the Quest 2 last Fall and attempting to port a couple projects to it has shown me that while mobile vr device are neet... they are just not powerful enough to handle the projects I work on. (drats!) That is ABSOLUTELY not the developer's fault. That is why my review also stated how good it is for PCVR, because it is. It's a terrific asset, but the experience *I* had with the developer was not acceptable. It was worth mentioning it to hope that he/they move from "Supports DOTS" to "Alpha: DOTS integration" AND that it's too powerful an asset for mobile vr. (again, NOT the developer's fault)

16. TKDHayk

TKDHayk

17. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

What engine version? Is that latest asset version? Please share that at e-mail we will look with developer on this.

18. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

19. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Apollo's Dream II is now live!
    A ton of work went into this one, I hope everyone will enjoy it.
    Creating beauty with Unity for a Virtual Experience with an original soundtrack is a lot of fun and I hope it shows in the video.

NM's assets helps create a wonderful environment for this old west experience.
    Their assets are the best in the store, in my opinion. If you can afford them, it is worth it!

20. DavidKoudela

DavidKoudela

Hi,
    I have just installed the asset for the first time and I have got an error (see below).
    I have Unity 2020.3.2f1
    How can I fix this error?
    Thanks,
    David.

Shader warning in 'NatureManufacture Shaders/Debug/Flowmap Direction': floating point division by zero at line 74 (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with SHADOWS_DEPTH
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_PASS_SHADOWCASTER
    Disabled keywords: INSTANCING_ON SHADOWS_CUBE UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING SHADER_API_GLES30

21. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Its not error you can ignore it. Its just warning from debug shader code.

DavidKoudela likes this.
  22. BradZoob

BradZoob

Is there documentation for RAM? I want to use it procedurally at runtime.

23. doom3214

doom3214

Shader error in 'NatureManufacture Shaders/Water/Water River Offset Vertex Color Flow': Couldn't open include file './WaterDistortionCheck.hlsl'. at line 5790

Error like this keep popping out, I'm using 2020.3.01f.

WorleyStudios likes this.
  24. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Yes there has to be for EULA and submission guidelines to have a local documentation.

You should find it on the assets Root it's called River Auto and Lava Volcano Environment Manual 2019.pdf

25. creat327

creat327

I´m trying to give RAM 2019 another chance on my mobile project, so I loaded it on a high end mobile device. I failed to do 2 things: I can´t see a shore line on my lake, and there seems to be no depth info. Meaning it goes from water to land, you can´t see through much.

What´s the trick to set it up for Android so that it looks like a nice lake instead of just a blue box of water without killing performance?

26. ytrewq

ytrewq

Hello. We have RAM 2018. Is it possible to purchage RAM 2019 with special discount price?

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

please provide some demo assets please.

28. Taratus

Taratus

NatureManufacture

How to use single pass VR rendering in URP as described:
    Currently with Multipass on Oculus Quest also the right eye screen has issues in viewing R.A.M. and on (Single Pass) Multiview it's invisible for the right eye screen.

29. creat327

creat327

But on the left eye you see depth and transparency on the Quest? I only saw a blue no depth texture. They need to notify unity to fix Depth and Grabpass for Quest on single pass.

30. Taratus

Taratus

On the left eye I always see the water how it's supposed to be seen (using URP and 2019.4 LTS), on the right eye with Multipass I see the same but the material is wandering in the bounds of the mesh depending on head rotation left and right.

31. Image3d

Image3d

Hi, need help to apply RAM River spline Tool on a 3d mesh so we can use the flowmap and vertex paint tools to simulate a Surf Wave.

The idea is to paint flowmaps and small and big cascades on the mesh to achieve the desired Surf Wave effect.

The surf Wave Mesh is dynamic mesh that reproduces the Surf Wave:
    upload_2021-5-25_21-56-16.png with Lux Water as surf wave base effect.

I am using Unity 2020.3.9f1 and deferred rendering .

32. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

iIsuggest to use for example big cascade layer as big wave. \Create nice wave texture with high tesselation value. Paint vertex color so it will place big cascade/wave in specific area.

33. Image3d

Image3d

When a apply the RamSpline script to my mesh and choose the any Spline profile, my mesh does not render anymore. Mesh is gone...
    Any idea
    upload_2021-5-28_12-8-37.png

It seems that is not identifiying that this is a spline mesh...

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  34. Image3d

Image3d

Sure I am missing something...what script should I use to paint over my mesh ?

Anyone ?

35. Image3d

Image3d

Found it...we have to use the Vertex Painter tool on custom mesh.

First try:

upload_2021-5-30_19-10-42.png

dsilverthorn likes this.
  36. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yes custom mesh need vertex painter tool like we show in video tutorial:) Nice wave. Keep us updated:)

37. Image3d

Image3d

How do I transfer the painted material to another mesh ? I painted the wave over a high resolution mesh...now I have to apply the painted material to another low resolution mesh...

38. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You paint mesh not material. So you rather have to export mesh. There is unity fbx exporter in package manager, export mesh with vertex color and make low poly version if you need.

39. Image3d

Image3d

Thanks for your fast reply.

40. JohnBlake

JohnBlake

I have the same problem.

41. iskandergasmi

iskandergasmi

hi and sorry to bother when I use any of the river profiles I get those errors and they keep repeating but for the road, it works fine is there a material that would work fine with no errors changing it with other materials removes the error but cant find a material that flow sorry for the bother and thank you .
    Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _WaterGrab (type 3 count 1)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)
    Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _WaterGrab_ST (type 1 count 1)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&
    Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _WaterGrab_TexelSize (type 1 count 1)
    Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _WaterGrab_HDR (type 1 count 1)

42. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

hlsl should be in same folder as shader.

If you use hd rp please use hd rp shaders aswell from hd and urp support pack folder. Remember that tesselation is not supported at hd rp yet.

43. Image3d

Image3d

I can paint on Mobile Materials...but no water effect appears...any ideia what I am doing wrong ?

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.00.19.png Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.00.55.png .

i am using Unity 2020.3.9f1 on Mac OS Catalina and Project Plataform is set to iOS...

44. Image3d

Image3d

Hi...I found a camera mono script missing in R.A.M 2019 in all Demos...anyone with the same problem ?
    upload_2021-6-6_9-54-40.png

45. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It's post processing script.

It was too heavy as I remember for mobiles but... you can get same effect by changing normal vectors, as we read them to change water stage into cascade etc

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  46. Image3d

Image3d

So..we can't paint on the mobile materials as we can on the tesseleted Materials ?

How can I set slow water, small cascade and big cascade position ?

It would be interesting if we could do that using the vertex paint tool...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  47. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ofc its slowdown alot. You get 3-4 lerps per layer so you get 9-12 lerps with vertex color + clean water so 12 -15. This is alot for mobile. We had to cut it for mobile shader.

Urp and hd rp all materials are flowmaped in standard nope.

You can slowdown water via material globaly for each stage, you have speed vectors there. If you want to reduce or increase cascade in specific place you can do it via vertex normals of the mesh - in spline for example there its rotation, in custom mesh do it just via vertex normal direction angle.

48. Image3d

Image3d

Ok..thanks for your reply...

49. nu51313932

nu51313932

I use the sprite shader or standard fade shader. The object invisible when lower than water surface or when under water.
    But cut out shader is working. But i need to use standard fade shader. Any solution to solve this problem?

Sorry for my beginner English skill.

PS. I use plane mesh or quad mesh

50. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Change render queue in material at your transparent object. Try higer and lower values then water have. As I remember it should have higher so something like 3002

nu51313932 likes this.