Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] R.A.M River Auto Material.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, Oct 13, 2017.

1. runningbird

runningbird

Will do thanks for the suggestions

2. truefx001

truefx001

Hi , I bought your asset as well is there any plans for underwater fx?

3. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Nope. not atm. Anyway its just image effects so probably most of tchem will work correct.

4. coverpage

coverpage

Perhaps he meant caustics.

5. lawsochi

lawsochi

Yes, is there an opportunity to add a caustic, I'm not sure of the term's validity, so it's easier to show than to say))
    I mean 2 effects: 1 - refraction of light;
    92407544.jpg

2 - wetting of objects, the bottom and banks of the stream
    _20171024_183521.JPG

2 is more interesting, since 1 should not be visible, only under certain lighting conditions. what do you think about it? Thank you.

6. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Caustic probably yes wetness rather is terrain feature.

7. lawsochi

lawsochi

This is not the best news.
    Here is an example, you have a rock in the river, the lower part of it is wet, I understand that you can impose two materials, and put moisture on the bottom, but this is first, time-consuming, if you take into account the big worlds, and secondly, does not allow you to realize a rise in the water level , during the rain, for example, which is typical of mountain rivers. is not it possible realize the wetting by the shader?
    I thought about this scenario, you can just dynamically adjust the height of the grid ...
    But, in any case, thanks for the answer, these are only desires, they unfortunately do not always come true, but I really would like to))

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    TalkieTalkie and Paulstorberg like this.
  8. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Big worlds have wetness mask as a texture which setup big smoothness value at this area so its terrain feature (we will add this at CTS next update)

Mark_01 and lawsochi like this.
  9. Stewartgxyz

Stewartgxyz

Do we get a sample level like the one in the video? Can I purchase sample levels?

10. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

With? What with used assets also third party or from other packs?

11. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Vertex paint tool and support in shader:
    vert.jpg

Now you will be able to blend R.A.M with any other water system without tricks

Image3d, recon0303, deraggi and 8 others like this.
  12. Rowlan

Rowlan

Cool! When will it be available?

13. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

When we clean the UI - few days:) btw this tool will give you ability to paint other models too:) not only with our shader.

ftejada, Mark_01 and Rowlan like this.
  14. ychv

ychv

You can try exporting the demo without the dependencies. 3dforge described his Blueprints export method here - it does not include the copyrighted assets. As a bonus it encourages users to purchase your other assets.

I would also appreciate if you release the demo in your videos. It would demonstrate the potential of the asset and help in learning to use it.

TeagansDad and MarkusGod like this.
  15. gecko

gecko

Hmm, the river loses transparency when the terrain has MicroSplat shader -- here I've got two terrain tiles, one with built-in Unity and the other with MicroSplat -- any idea how to fix that? I'm using one of the demo Linear materials.

ram transparency.jpg

TalkieTalkie likes this.
  16. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It have many issues with other water systems. With cts its fine so hmm it could be issue with microsplat and metal. This also could be microsplat render queue in shader which overwrite something. Ah it looks like microsplat do not write on z buffer so water cant check depth.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  17. gecko

gecko

Turns out this is something wrong with my MicroSplat material...so now I gotta figure that out, but it's not a problem with RAM. Sorry for the false alarm!

18. gecko

gecko

The river surface looks terrific up close, but when I get some distance away, the tiling is apparent -- is there a way to adjust that so it looks good both near and far?

19. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Adjust texture tilling (uv scale). For cascades there is noise value. I could mix even standard flat surface if you need but.. from my test was everything was super ok.

20. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ok I will share it.

21. DMagic

DMagic

Is this expected to work on Android? In a new project with the demo scene everything works fine when the build platform is Windows. But when I change to Android the tesselated shaders don't work at all (which is probably to be expected) and the normal shader doesn't seem to interact with the terrain at all. I tried playing with the values for the normal shader (the one from Resources folder), but nothing made a difference.

Though to be honest, I would probably be satisfied with just the directional and slope based flow, they look great.

RAM Android.PNG
    RAM Android Mat.PNG

22. wwg

wwg

I'm using RAM with MicroSplat and it works perfectly (as far as I can see).

23. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Shader model 3.0?
    Thats cool.

24. DMagic

DMagic

It looks like it was forward rendering causing the problem. In the graphics quality panel all presets default to forward, setting them to deffered allows the water to render properly, both in the editor and on an actual phone. I'm not sure about performance yet, it's fine on the demo scene with a Galaxy S7, but that is another matter.

25. ranaUK

ranaUK

Hi @NatureManufacture

Reminding you about problem in VR with single pass stereo rendering. Without that fix, it’s not ideal for VR.

And yes, we do need single pass: it’s hard enough to keep 90fps as it is.

flehmann, StevenPicard and Rowlan like this.
  26. Rowlan

Rowlan

What he says :D

27. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I would not agree its hard. Im not sure if i will jump over this in next update. We will see

Mark_01 likes this.
  28. khos

khos

Man this looks nice, I wish David would update his amazing asset (Flow) https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4897

29. lawsochi

lawsochi

VR, vr, vr .... what the hell :) this is the day after tomorrow ... and now it's a dream, why so many requests for compatibility? I do not understand what the market VR in the coming years, it is very small, and will hardly grow. about what VR you dream, when 75% of the market does not have a 960GTX video card ... It will take at least 3-4 years, when this technology will be massively available. And now, Unity has so many unsolved problems that thanks to such authors as NatureManufacture and others can be solved for modern systems for the desktop, not just mobile ... sorry if I'm wrong ;-)

Stewartgxyz and TalkieTalkie like this.
  30. ranaUK

ranaUK

Well we will let you try to catch up when you start in three to four years time.
    Quick note: in the last six months i’ve purchased quite a number of assets (lot of shaders). Only two doesn’t work with VR. Maybe that means other developer are thinking they need to provide vr support. I believe it’s free market in play.

31. ranaUK

ranaUK

wait, I must have misunderstood your comment. Are you saying “it’s easy to retain 90fps?”

Rowlan likes this.
  32. lawsochi

lawsochi

Yes, of course, I fully agree with you, who first starts, he will get an advantage. but. you will agree with me that Unity today has big problems with the AAA graphics, even on modern desktops. and I also would like more, but it is not always possible on current equipment.

33. Mark_01

Mark_01

https://www.roadtovr.com/pimax-8k-s...headset-kickstarter-project-2-45m-raised-far/

Sorry for the out side link. These are new VR set ups that are coming out soon, not to mention MicroSoft new
    systems coming for windows 10, IMHO VR is coming faster then 3-4 years. This is talking about desktop
    VR systems, and they are trying to bring down the hardware requirements for VR.
    Seems like all the mobile players are jumping on the VR band wagon ( including Apple, now too )

So it may happen faster then people think. Personally, the ability to be inside your game .. as opposed to looking thu the window / screen at your game...... Is incredible once you have been inside VR.

34. Mark_01

Mark_01

Its true now that most games are not for VR ... But look at it this way.. If Developers are mindful of VR ..
    AND it still looks very good on the screen , but can do VR ... :) Then it is you who are gaining, since you do not need to worry about FPS at 90 .. you are still gaining the benefits of an asset that goes very fast. This gives you more
    FPS to play with ... So its still a win for you.

There is little the dev's can do about Unity " Problems " they have to work with what Unity provides.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  35. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's not a dream, it's reality. VR is the future and unless your game is finished already you develop for the future. Even if you are working on a 3d game why not even use the benefit of easily making it VR capable to get additional funds for your next game? As was mentioned above the major companies also jump on the VR train. And with magic leap around the corner you want to have something ready when it starts, not just start developing then. Also, you sound like someone who hasn't tried VR yet. You should, it's amazing. But not that cheap google cardboard thing, the real one.

I need RAM for VR exclusively, I have no use for it otherwise. I wish it would have stated on the front page, that it doesn't work in VR. It's become a real pain in Unity to buy assets when you have no information about whether or not it will work on the platform you develop for.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  36. lawsochi

lawsochi

well, you're right, I did not try, here comes out Fallout 4 VR soon, I'll definitely try. for me the open world is indicative, and not the last publisher. then I can form an opinion. my skeptical view is based on the sales statistics of devices. but as I said, I may be wrong. thank you for your opinion. sorry for the off topic.

37. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yeah but you have create game in idea:
    - what is visibile and what is not and put sources in right place.
    - you have to remember that VR have low res because of headset and lenses. We made many vr games like Escape room series (gear vr) now htc vive.

Just take a look at our porfolio: Website

We also slowly develop spelldrift which is pretty openspace (many rooms and everything is phisical) story about mage. We didn't have any problems with fps instead ofc of unity bugs with occlusing culling at gear vr (but we helped unity to fix that) and few other small issues. Anyway if you use good LOD's and good spetup for trees grass etc it's not problematic. You must keep low tri and use atlases. We moved from 2mln to 60k and from 4k batches to 80 with good lod's textures, tricks on culling and smart light setup. Everything is matter of time and idea nothing more.

Mark_01 likes this.
  38. TalkieTalkie

TalkieTalkie

I use MegaSplat, will the wetness work automatically (though we can paint it) with it? I am definitely interested in this asset. :eek:

EDIT: Also, will this be limited to water only or will we be able to change it to anything, from slime to lava?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  39. ranaUK

ranaUK

@NatureManufacture, I bow down to your awesome hardware land where 1080x1200 per eye is considered low res.

I really didn’t think you meant what you meant. It’s similar to comparing “walking dead” fps against Batman Arkham series. Of course there is a good possibility that I don’t know how to code, as currently I’m getting my arse kicked trying to fill a rally with thousands of people : which is little different than a beautiful static scene.

40. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You still see grid on your image which break whole cool idea of vr. Anyway im dissapointed by vr like hell. It need time and love, atm even if visual aspect at pc is totaly epic in vr it look like ummm I would use rude word but... ok its not so good as it could be only because of lenses. So what's the point of very high resolution there? You will put hq texture and what? it still looks like.....so thats the point keep only visible aspects.

Anyway new video with vertex paint tool:

Lava will come in next pack with textures, foliage, grounds, rocks and totaly mind blowing things:) Atm we dont use any albedo so simple lava probably will work but nothing more.

Hitch42, Mark_01 and lawsochi like this.
  41. Stanton560

Stanton560

the download speed has become incredibly slow :(

Half an hour of trying to update and its only 44% on my 100 mbps line.

42. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Must be something on your end of the line as I was able to upgrade to RAM 1.2 in under 1 minute. (Maybe a modem reset would solve it?)

43. Stanton560

Stanton560

Nope, my speeds are all fine, and I was having this issue on my home connection last night also.

Anyways, an hour later and it's done so no worries :)

44. ChrisDorn

ChrisDorn

Hi there!
    Thanks to you, NatureManufacture, we were finally able to get moving river flows even on sloped surfaces! Task beautifully accomplished!
    Now our Lighting is complaining about something. We use the river shader to represent a background ocean and our rivers. Important to note is that we use the Open Source Full Volumetric Lighting as framework for our lighting. Now, we had to code a script that changes the render order on runtime, to have the rivers render after the volumetric light. Works perfectly on the ocean:

However, this solution doesn't work on the rivers. When changing the render order to render before the volumetric light the transparency is gone. So at the moment we have this solution:

image uploader

We hope you can address this in the following weeks, it should be somehow important because the Full Volumetric Light is Open-source and is being used by a lot of projects, which could be potential customers of yours.

Exeneva likes this.
  45. f1ac

f1ac

ChrisDorn likes this.
  46. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Catch me via skype: dahrrrr

47. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi!
    We just uploading important tesselation fix. We recovered one tesselation blend value. Now river will look much better.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Mark_01 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  48. deraggi

deraggi

Can I ask you what problem you have? I used RAM yesterday with Single Pass Stereo rendering but did not notice any issue

Mark_01 likes this.
  49. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Our pack with park photoscanned assets is online! As you will probably see we used R.A.M in fountain shading. Pack include fountian meshes so you are able to reproduce effect.

Asset Store Link

Screen12.png Screen6.png Screen17.png Lods.jpg

50. Migueljb

Migueljb

Does RAM work in 2017.2 in single pass rendering for VR?

Also can CTS's water function be the main water part that RAM's river will flow into for more nature looking areas where a river or stream would flow into a bigger body of water.

Looking at getting both of these assets but just need to know these answers first.

Rowlan likes this.