Search Unity

[Released] R.A.M River Auto Material.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, Oct 13, 2017.

1. topofsteel

topofsteel

Would this asset work for modeling flowing water through a pipe?

2. yrucrem

yrucrem

Hello!

I would be glad about some hints for realising huge and steep waterfalls with R.A.M. Is this something that can reasonably be done, or is an almost vertical waterfall problematic.

Snapping the river spline to the terrain, or carving the terrain did not really get me good results, but I am sure, that is because I do not have the right feel for the fine tuning yet. I tried adjusting the smooth and smoot distance parameters for terrain carving, but did not find settings which yield good results.

ram-1.jpg ram-2-snap.jpg ram-3-carve.jpg

Any tipps and pointers to which settings are important to achieve this (and what are probably good starting values) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
    Patrick

3. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You should carve it and put some 3d models around to get best result. You also should put some particles which we prepared to add more noise and depth. Please bake also at least realtime light at your scene because seams your ambient light there is black, thats why every material look and behave odd.

4. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

More info need:)

5. topofsteel

topofsteel

Like you were to cut away the side of a pipe and could see the water flowing inside of it.

water-in-pipe.PNG

NatureManufacture likes this.
  6. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Couldn't resist to test it in 10 minutes (a lot of room for improvement)
    https://imgur.com/WKrCXnY

7. topofsteel

topofsteel

Awesome! Thank you.

8. Augis1980

Augis1980

Hi,
    your last RAM2019 update indicates that you fixed VR materials but for us using LWRP river in VR still has double reflections. Could you tell wich material/profile works well with VR?

9. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

LW it's still bugged in that place and it's unity engine issue. Here is issue which you can track and vote.
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...enedepth-doesnt-work-in-single-pass-rendering

We don't use unity shader graph but there is issue in engine.

After they fix it we will fix our side asap.

10. Augis1980

Augis1980

11. Shadowing

Shadowing

When I upgraded to the 2019 version my river is invisible. Any guess why?
    actually when i upgraded to the 2019 version my river and all the demo rivers was missing the Ram spline script. Then today I upgraded to the newest version and that fixed that issue. I think i still have to go back and reassign the scrip to all rivers though.
    Anyways I created a new river and that works fine.
    I tried assigning several different profiles that come with the asset and still the river is invisible.

Thanks

12. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, can I use RAM to generate rivers on procedurally generated terrains in runtime?
    Like, can I appoint a start point for a river and it will autocalculate the flow depending on the terrain's height map and where to form lakes?

13. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yes, via our API
    You set 1 poioint and rest via api functions. It will create river/lake, carve and paint terain

JBR-games likes this.
  14. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

BTW our new pack Forest Environment - Dynamic Nature have been released - Asset Store LINK. It contain r.a.m 2019 trial.

You can see R.A.M 2019 water at hd rp 2019.1 v 5.7. Here you go the movie:

Quique-Martinez, Mixa1985 and Rowlan like this.
  15. topofsteel

topofsteel

Can you share the setup you used, a screenshot? Thanks.

16. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

He can send you profile;)

17. Hexaedre

Hexaedre

Hi,

Is there a way to modify the speed and direction of the micro and macro wave without coding ?
    If not, could you please expose those parameters in the material ?

Cheers

18. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It's not possible. Hm.... it will cost render a bit...

19. Harekelas

Harekelas

Thanks, I'll check the documentation for the apis :)

20. Shadowing

Shadowing

wow nice new forest pack man.

anyways wondering if the next update can fix the font issue.
    Really killing my eyes bad :( Gave me a headache today actually.
    Here is a picture. See how hard it is to see the point numbers. Almost impossible some times.

21. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I will have this in attention in next update!:)

shazwar likes this.
  22. Shadowing

Shadowing

Thanks man really appreciate it. sorry i keep howling about it :)

23. JBT27

JBT27

I have not yet been able to make sense of the Terrain tools. I draw a spline, I show terrain shape', which as I intend, shows a deep channel, click Carve terrain, but barely get a dent on the terrain. Presumably something patently obvious is going over my head. Unity 2019.1.11f1 with RAM 2019.

24. JBT27

JBT27

Never mind - figured it. Keep forgetting that terrain won't go below 0. Was trying to carve on terrain at 0 elevation.

25. Hexaedre

Hexaedre

It is possible! I found it. The parameters I was looking for are the "... mix speed" lines (slow water mix speed, etc). It is perfect. :)

However, I found an issue : The distortion is not affected by the vertex painting. Leading to fast distortion on slow water. This is very problematic for my usecase, because I have to vertex paint allmost all my rivers...
    Do you plan to fix that ?

Also, the distortion is not double sided. Is there a chance that you can make it double sidedable?
    It is usefull for waterfall seen from the other side and for underwater effect.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  26. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hi -
    Before I start carving - Does RAM 2019 work with Map Magic? Thanks!

27. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

We will
    We will check that. Basicly distortion use all mixed nornals to generate distorted effect so it behave in same way as nor als and water movment - flowmap. Try to paint flowmap aswell. Distortion visibility also depends on water edge transparency. Very soft edges could a bit hide it.

28. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I didnt use it like that.

29. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Sorry, Maybe not clear. Before we use R.A.M on a massive Map Magic Terrain and start using the "Carve Terrain" in R.A.M should we expect any compatibility issues?

30. unicat

unicat

Hi, can`t see my river in game window nor in playmode. It is only visible in Editor window. What could be wrong? Using Unity 2019.2.0f1 :

ramrivererr_1.jpg

edit: works now.:confused:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  31. Augis1980

Augis1980

is there a way to simply remove all refletions ?

32. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Remove all probes and avoid water by them. Anyway sky will probably left.

33. Rahd

Rahd

i used both community ocean and Ram on mobile (community ocean for the water sim and RAM for the shader)
    it works just fine 60FPS with both on s4 s5 note 4 even on older phones like Motorola Moto X 2013
    your issue looks like normal texture tiling

34. jakes-du-preez

jakes-du-preez

Hi

Any plans for 2019.2 hdrp 6.9 support? Timelines?

Thank you

35. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

As soon as we back from holidays all packs will be sync and updated. Anyway MPC movie company use ram hd rp 6.7.2 at 2019.2 unity during siggraph 2019

36. wumn

wumn

upload_2019-8-6_17-29-48.png
    It seems that the cooperation with Enviro - Sky and Weather is not very good. I used R.A.M 2019 to make a lake surface and found that the fog effect is a bit problematic. Is there a solution?

37. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Did you import enviro compatibility shaders? They are inside assets and they will replace all shaders. This will solve all fog issues with enviro.

38. jingtiancc

jingtiancc

is there a way to convert a mesh to a spline ?
    i am trying to convert the mesh in examples from meadow environment

39. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Uh not really. Hard to create such splines from mesh.

40. JBT27

JBT27

At this point, does RAM 2019 support HDRP, usably? I saw you mentioned earlier that someone had shown this off at Siggraph on 2019.2 but on HDRP 6.7.2. I can set up a river as usual, but the materials generate rolling compile errors - using preview 6.9.1.

41. Hexaedre

Hexaedre

Painting the flow affect the distortion, so it is ok.
    However, even if I try to have smooth transition between flow speeds, I have strange result with flow going backward on some speed transitions.
    When I clic the show flow direction button to see what's going wrong, the arrows haren't showing, only dark grey. With the show flow smoothness, the river is all yellow.
    Do you know how to fix the debug view for the flow ? The debug view for vertex color works fine.
    Using Unity 2019.1.5 hdrp.

Also, you didn't answer if you plan to make the distortion double sided ? It makes sense for waterfall and underwater effect.

42. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yes but 6.7 is lower then 6.9.1... This is how it is with hd rp. Only low range of compatibility. I hope.this will change soon.
    Umm double sided distortion will be pretyy expensive. I had such test before. I must think. If you got flow moving back simply make it more smooth then effect will dissapear.
    Please share screens from your problem.

JBT27 likes this.
  43. Aligdev

Aligdev

Hi peeps, for a 2.5d game I want to create and carve a river on a non-square (rectangle) terrain alongside player's path, however, when I push the carve button on R.A.M component, it carves a thin line near edge of terrain, looks like it ignores terrains dimensions and carves full size terrains then resizes to rectangle.
    Example: 500x50 terrain
    This:
    2019-08-16_13-53-50.png

Carve results this:
    2019-08-16_13-54-08.png

Is that a bug or do am I missing something?

Update: This is a close-up look of image above after carve:
    2019-08-16_14-03-19.png

44. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Catch @Pawel homenko at our discord he will give you fix. Im at holidays until middle of next week. We fix that but we didnt upload it.

45. hollegar

hollegar

Hi,
    can't contact You on discord, because of Your settings

here is quick fix which we will upload soon to asset store:
    in RamSpline.cs i method TerrainCarve change lines 1854 from
    float terrainTowidth = (1 / (float)sizeX * (terrainData.heightmapWidth - 1));
    float terrainToheight = (1 / (float)sizeZ * (terrainData.heightmapHeight - 1));

to
    float terrainTowidth = (1 / (float)sizeZ * (terrainData.heightmapWidth - 1));
    float terrainToheight = (1 / (float)sizeX * (terrainData.heightmapHeight - 1));

and in method TerrainPaintMeshBased change lines 2026 from
    float terrainTowidth = (1 / (float)sizeX * (terrainData.alphamapWidth - 1));
    float terrainToheight = (1 / (float)sizeZ * (terrainData.alphamapHeight - 1));
    to float terrainTowidth = (1 / (float)sizeZ * (terrainData.alphamapWidth - 1));
    float terrainToheight = (1 / (float)sizeX * (terrainData.alphamapHeight - 1));

46. Aligdev

Aligdev

Oh my bad, sorry about that, that's because of spammers, you know :/

I changed my settings and sent you message on Discord.

47. Aligdev

Aligdev

Ok, finally solved it, I use RAM v1.7 in Unity 2018, there was no TerrainCarve() in RamSpline.cs, it was in RamSplineEditor.cs line 1029. And also there was no TerrainPaintMeshBased() anywhere in solution, I changed TerrainPaint() in RamSplineEditor.cs line 1258. Even though it took DAYS to solve 4 lines of code, thank you for your support.

48. whidzee

whidzee

I have a long river running through my map, maybe 1km long. what is the best way to set up reflections? to have many reflection probes along the river? i've found when going from one reflection probe to another that the reflectons kind of snap or pop when you enter the next zone. any way around this?

49. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

you use forward or deferred render? give a shot. Btw you can hold rivere in submeshes- split into submeshes.

50. whidzee

whidzee

I'm not sold on which renderer i am to use yet. researching that at the moment. Is there one you'd recommend?