Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] R.A.M River Auto Material.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, Oct 13, 2017.

1. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Add small reflection probe under the brige, also to get cool effect use them along whole river. It could be baked or realtime. 64 pix is enought. Check small capture distance etc.

Shadows it self i could suport but i must rebuild shader alot - i will do this
    You could handle tchem now by chane render queue in material into 2400 but.. this broke blend at edges atm.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. elbows

elbows

The non-tesselated version works for me in the editor using metal, High Sierra and Unity 2017.3 beta 4 and Nvidia graphics.

I am using that version of unity because I had other stuff not working in metal using unity 2017.1 & 2017.2 when I updated to High Sierra. But I have not checked again recently with those unity versions and especially inside the editor I am used to all sorts of strange metal issues that often get fixed on the bleeding edge.

NatureManufacture likes this.
  3. elbows

elbows

Repeated test with 2017.2f3 in editor metal mode and it worked too. I have to manually change shader on the river materials to the non-tessellated version and then the water appears, which is the same behaviour I was getting in 2017.3 beta.

NatureManufacture likes this.
  4. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

1.1v is done now new movie with features etc.

New version is online with new video .

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  5. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Scanned and optimised Park pack where we use our R.A.M for presentation:)

rIVER1.jpg

rIVER2.jpg

ftejada and Mark_01 like this.
  6. gecko

gecko

Thanks for testing this on your Mac. I created a fresh project...and found the same thing -- non-Tessellated shader works nicely on Mac with Metal Editor enabled. Whew!

Ah, here's the problem: It works in Forward Rendering, but not in Deferred. @NatureManufacture, any ideas about that? I'm here all day if you want to Skype.

7. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ive tested on both and ofc. Im using it at defered but pc;/ Hmmm you could always force forward in shader but probably this is engine thing;/

8. gecko

gecko

Yeah, Mac Metal is a real headache -- required by some new shaders/tools, but incompatible with others. What are the downsides of forcing Forward in the shader (and how do you do it)?

9. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

If you use more then 1 light on such object render is heavier.

10. gecko

gecko

I just have 1 Directional Light, plus ambient.

11. elbows

elbows

Ah yes, just tried that myself with both 2017.2 and 2017.3 beta and yeah, metal deferred doesn't work.

It's frustrating because for a while I thought Unity metal support was reaching maturity but too many assets fail without any useful console errors or shader compilation errors, giving me very few clues that I could use to help asset devs to make their stuff compatible. I wish someone from Unity was all over this stuff, testing it with a range of assets available in the store and either helping asset devs to fix stuff or fixing bugs in Unity. I certainly don't blame asset store devs for any of this frustration.

12. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Feel free to throw some votes at this issue - Unity currently has Metal tessellation support in research mode on the roadmap, but as more people express interest or call for support they may consider prioritizing it.

13. elbows

elbows

Thats a great example of another metal-related frustration. I don't like to moan about Unity too often but when they indicate one timescale and then instead fall silent for very long periods of time it makes it very hard to plan ahead.

14. gecko

gecko

Well, how do I force Forward in the shader?

protopop likes this.
  15. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

@elbows if I had to make a guess, it's that they may have a shortage of people on staff that are well-versed and capable in Metal (and now Metal2). They make a couple references to Metal2 in their VR materials, so I'm hopeful that they're either trying to get some assistance from Apple, they're working on closing the gap, or both.

16. deraggi

deraggi

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what settings leads to the water being translucent? Mine is fully opaque in my scene even though I copied the material from the demo...

17. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

i will send you shader variant via skype tommorow.

gecko likes this.
  18. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Turn on the light in scene view or just light.
    Tons of bug but they will fix that. Im common with this as i use unity since unity3

19. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

In theory they are better poised for success with the API on Metal2. The first generation was a much more staggered release, where iOS/macOS both essentially got it at the same time (dev kits both announced at the same time, and desktop/mobile release with a week or two). Unity has been making use of Metal2 as part of their Mac VR & external graphics box support, so they're already doing some work with it. From the Unite Austin clips I've seen it looks like Unity is attempting to make performance a focus for 2018.1, fingers crossed that Metal2 & tessellation is a part of it.

20. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Auto river material as fountain shader/system:

screenn3.jpg screenn4.jpg

21. deraggi

deraggi

How do you achieve the river flowing in a circle? Are these just multiple river meshes?

22. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

- sprinklers are ram spline
    - circle mesh is made by artist (just with proper uv)
    Of everything could be made by artist and it will look 1000x better and blend will be perfect.

Mark_01 likes this.
  23. Rowlan

Rowlan

Looks totally cool. Since it's the same category: Will you support Lava as well?

24. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

we plan to release different shader river types lava too

ftejada and Rowlan like this.
  25. deraggi

deraggi

Hi, unfortunately I still don't have transparent water.

I have a single directional light and Lightning turned on. It doesn't work in Play Mode as well

upload_2017-10-18_9-3-1.png

26. Rowlan

Rowlan

Great! Also, a suggestion: It would be nice to have e. g. water particle mist (or steam or however that's called) in an example as well, e. g. at the bottom of a waterfall. Just to give it life.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    deraggi and NatureManufacture like this.
  27. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Show me material properties. This doesnt look like our setup so if you changed something yourself and broke effect by any slider :) I have to see properties

Also you could have such effect if you turned off transparency in quality/render settings.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  28. deraggi

deraggi

29. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

30. deraggi

deraggi

Yes - it does work in the demo scene, just not im my own. So it must have something to do with the Scene setup / River Setup

Edit: Btw where can I set the transparency in the material?
    Edit2: I can see that in your second asset store screenshot (the dawn scene), the water is also not transparent. What is causing that?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  31. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Its transparent too.

Btw from today our Advanced Rock Pack from river movie is online!
    Advanced Rock Pack - Asset Store link
    It contain ground textures too:)

10.png T 04.jpg 9.png

Attached Files:

TeagansDad and Mark_01 like this.
  32. Reiner

Reiner

Demo scene from youtube included?

Greetz Reiner

33. Ishizuke

Ishizuke

Looks beautiful, but it seams what in the first demo video

R.A.M River Auto Material

on 1:40-2:00 the waterfall has constant water flow speed, but it must be controlled by gravity law and flow speed must increae from top to bottom. Also the non-realisitinc water flow not affected by gravity is seen on the third movie - only slope steepness does matter.

R.A.M - Technical Movie

Also, obviuosly not realistic water flow near the rugged river shores. I think the fow should be controlled not by single spline, but by a set of splines, which contains not only direction but also local speed information and interpolated according to splines proximity. May be some short splines can be used to create realistic local flow around the boulders.

In the following picture green is a river shore, grey is a boulders in the water, red are splines controlling the water flow near the shores and around the boulders. Also, such splaines may allow use less detailed mesh for river.

PS. I think waterfall water speed increase can be solved by increasing distance between UV nodes toward the ground according to gravity law, like on the second black-white picture.

Attached Files:

34. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Few nice ideas there. Thx;) We will play with it:)

35. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hmmm you mean with river? I Wonder how to do this because it use 3 our packs atm 2 are released. 3rd we will prepare in monday.

36. smada-luap

smada-luap

I think the only feasible solution would be to require proof of purchase for all 3 packs and then a private link to where the demo scene can be downloaded from.

Edit - either that or just the terrain and river meshes :D

Mark_01 likes this.
  37. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ah :D Btw here is new asset video (available soon) where i use r.a.m as fountain:)shading

lawsochi, S4G4N, trilobyteme and 5 others like this.
  38. magique

magique

Very nice. I love this asset. Will definitely be picking up at some point.

S4G4N likes this.
  39. protopop

protopop

Beautiful - I love virtual rivers:)

I just bought it. It's for IOS and Android but i don't need tessellation so hopefully it will work a bit.

I was looking for procedural rivers for months and was pleasantly surprised when this popped up:)

40. lawsochi

lawsochi

it looks amazing !!! can I dream?
    Here you can to add rain, with the dynamic wetting of all surfaces, and drops on the water, and snow, and night with a good effect of the light of the lanterns, and fog ......
    And then, make a video of how to do all it.
    It will be a terrific educational material and advertising for all assets. and make it buy all the new users of the Unity;)))
    And sell it as a ready-made scene with trial versions of all assets (in dll, with watermarks ...) it's hard to imagine better training.
    Eh, dreams, dreams ...)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  41. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I will make few oficial tutorials for unity with assets from store. So you will see many tricks there:)

42. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Where are the flowers / gras from in the Park demo?
    And did you use a drone for the photogrammetry, or did you spend 2 days in the park?

43. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I will definitively purchase once it's more physical based. I'm not sure if I want to set so many settings myself, especially when it's water running down a cliff or a waterfall. I think the math (or estimations of what is natural) should be hidden from the user. Of course not at runtime, but at design time and then baked into settings.

I can imagine that water flowing around stones - well calculated - can give amazing effects.
    But these UVs / turbulence etc. would be too difficult to set up on ones own.

44. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Dynamic nature - starter but we have huge problems with this asset i reupload if 20 Times because of asset store bugs;/
    We spent time in the park:)

OfficialHermie likes this.
  45. coverpage

coverpage

You might not want too much physical simulation as it would be computationally expensive. I think you should watch the videos on the parameters this shader uses, it's quite intuitive while enabling rather good looking rivers and waterfalls.

46. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I want physical simulation, but calculated offline and then baked into settings. :) No more realtime calculations.
    I think that would be the way to do it.

47. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Christmas is comming hehehe. We will see. I have few cool ideas how to do that but... step by step:)

Mark_01 and OfficialHermie like this.
  48. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Yes, that would be a huge step forward, but it would be REALLY good.

49. runningbird

runningbird

Played around with R.A.M over the weekend the waterfall goes all the way down the mountain with a pool at the top and a stream that goes through the country side.

Assets Used:
    1.jpg 2.jpg

blitzvb, magique, Mark_01 and 5 others like this.
  50. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Add reflection probes - baked or real time 64pix resolution and small range :) few of them:)

Mark_01 and runningbird like this.