Search Unity

[Released] R.A.M River Auto Material.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NatureManufacture, Oct 13, 2017.

1. holdingjason

holdingjason

Also something else I noticed with "ForceNoShadowCasting" = "True". You can also see how I am getting a nice shadow effect now on the sides of the river. That I was not getting in the previous shot and from the bridge.

upload_2018-4-17_14-25-34.png

peanutgallery and StevenPicard like this.
  2. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

If you use mesh, yes it shoudn't cast shadows like in our demos:). Our splines have this off by default. So everything is fine now in your current configuration without shadow cast..

3. holdingjason

holdingjason

Great thanks for the reply and thanks for making this terrific shader.

NatureManufacture likes this.
  4. CurtisMcGill

CurtisMcGill

I have Unity 2017.3.1 and bought this package and have a couple of questions:

The river is transparent and I can see the ground and at some angles, it "disappears" (transparent and you can only see the ground).

I converted my terrain to mesh and what is the best way to make a river bed?
    Is there a way to paint the ground bed?
    Do you add the ground to RAM?
    Should I put the river on the terrain paint the ground, then convert to mesh?

5. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

This is how depth and real water behave :) on low angles you see less transparency then you will saw from top:). Im not sure if you asking about this.

6. Rahd

Rahd

Hi , i'm having a problem with the last update on mobile .
    i used to use the older normal shader Water River.shader all sounds good and FPS around 55-61
    upload_2018-4-30_8-24-12.png
    using any new shader like Water River Mobile.shader will give a drop to 39-44 fps and it looks like this ... ?
    help :p
    upload_2018-4-30_8-22-33.png
    tested on Note 4 Edge , S5 , S4 , S4 mini , Z1 sony , moto x ... ect

7. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Its with flowmap? This is river or lake?

8. Rahd

Rahd

Shader "NatureManufacture Shaders/Mobile Water River "

9. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I see grid even on first image. Maybe you oversize this texture?

Anyway its b chanel compression. We will change it in next version. Seams that unity compress this texture at mobile with very low quality b chanel. Easy to change.

Rahd likes this.
  10. Rahd

Rahd

thank you , i will look into it , mean while could you just make a really low shader with :
    Rim + foam
    Cascade_Foam
    and normal map
    because i'm only using those values and the result , look freaking awesome .

And here is a Script to make waves you put it on the water plan if anyone needs it
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;

public class Waterwaver : MonoBehaviour {
    public float timeref =5f;
    public float minpoint ;
    public float maxpoint ;
    void Update()
    {
    if (gameObject.transform.position.y == maxpoint) {
    StartCoroutine (MoveOverSeconds (gameObject, new Vector3 (0.0f, minpoint, 0f), timeref));

} else if (gameObject.transform.position.y == minpoint) {
    StartCoroutine (MoveOverSeconds (gameObject, new Vector3 (0.0f, maxpoint, 0f), timeref ));

}{

}

}

public IEnumerator MoveOverSpeed (GameObject objectToMove, Vector3 end, float speed){
    // speed should be 1 unit per second
    while (objectToMove.transform.position != end)
    {
    objectToMove.transform.position = Vector3.MoveTowards(objectToMove.transform.position, end, speed * Time.deltaTime);
    yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame ();
    }
    }
    public IEnumerator MoveOverSeconds (GameObject objectToMove, Vector3 end, float seconds)
    {
    float elapsedTime = 0;
    Vector3 startingPos = objectToMove.transform.position;
    while (elapsedTime < seconds)
    {
    objectToMove.transform.position = Vector3.Lerp(startingPos, end, (elapsedTime / seconds));
    elapsedTime += Time.deltaTime;
    yield return new WaitForEndOfFrame();
    }
    objectToMove.transform.position = end;
    }
    }

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    NatureManufacture and Mark_01 like this.
  11. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Np I will do my best. :) you rather need sea r.a.m mobile version?

Mark_01 likes this.
  12. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Btw about waves we plan to add alot more but thanks! We will check it and maybe add in new release. About compression you could temporary turn off compresion at texture and reduce it size for example. We will solve this too - we will move it into other texture/layer

13. jayalter

jayalter

So did you ever find a resolve for this? I'm having the same problem In Unity 2017.3.1f1

14. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi @NatureManufacture,

at first glance, RAM looks good. I hope it's okay to compare RAM with Cascade. I love the easy of use of RAM. But let me ask three things or suggestions:

* The type of "multiple layer" (?) shader of the water surface is too even (uniform). Could it be more chaotic or random or mixed?
    * I miss reflected water shorelines and foam at the borders of objects in the waterbed, like big stones.
    * Is there any way (tut?) to create the riverbed automatically - in a realistic way - or do I have to create it by myyself? Cascade has a good solution.

antoripa likes this.
  15. DarkxxCrow

DarkxxCrow

Hi.
    I bought this incredible asset some weeks ago, and I'm having the same problem as @AlexanderElert .
    I can't add points with the spline tool, and can't see the points xyz arrows either (in the demo for example).
    I've tested this in several versions of Unity released the last months, from 2017.1 to 2018.1 and still can't make it work, disabling me from using this amazing asset (It did worked the first times I downloaded it).

I can't help but think I'm missing something, in Unity settings, or some component.
    I'm creating the river spline with the Unity create menu.

Thanks

16. khos

khos

Thought: Do the samples scenes work?

17. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Its R.A.M thread so keep posts about it, not other stuff.

Foam and shore borders is in shader. You just have to increase it on sliders. We set it very soft.

Reflection is based on specularity and smoothness which you could setup as you need. We will also extend this a bit to be more realistic we have few clever ideas.

River bed is in alpha now but new version will be really advanced and full of stuff. Our goal is to create river from 0 to hero. So all aspects will be included step by step. Atm you got terrain shape for multiple terrains.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Mark_01 and trilobyteme like this.
  18. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Even at fresh project ? If yes we could sit together via skype and check /fix this. Its unity raycast system so it should work in every and all situations but ofc it need any collider in background.

19. DarkxxCrow

DarkxxCrow

@khos Yes, I tested it in the demo scene and the same happens.
    @NatureManufacture Right now I'm checking a fresh project with only this plugin imported. Maybe there are some compatibility issues regarding another asset.

Edit:

I tested it in a new Scene with only a Gaia generated terrain and it works. Same assets imported, none used now.

20. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

So project settings or other things block it in your project :/. Thats why i always ask to check at fresh project because there could be many things in others assets or project settings which could block raycast or modify it in unexpected way.

21. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

I would rather start searching from:
    - physics setup ( maybe something is switched off)
    - time setup ( more then 0 hehe ots stupid but always an idea we had such issue example)

22. DarkxxCrow

DarkxxCrow

Thanks, I'll post whatever I can find. Weird though, because I wouldn't know what was the cause.
    - I upgraded to 2018.1 and made a project with a bunch of assets (Gaia, Vegetation Studio, FAE, Invector, and a bunch more) and made a scene from scratch as I was writing my first post. The same project with same settings and same assets, with a scene very similar in Unity 2017.1, 2017.2 and 2017.3 didn't work.

I'm overall happy because It works now, and I have no issues porting to 2018.1 for now.

I think the first time I used it was in Unity 5.6 and it stopped working for me when I upgraded Unity

23. Necka_

Necka_

Hello,
    I got a strange issue and can't figure out how to blend properly my river with my Aquas ocean

Basically at the end of the river my R.A.M is slightly above ocean level and then goes slightly under it

I tried to paint alpha to smoothly fade into it but when R.A.M get transparent then I see only the terrain under, not AQUAS:
    Image 127.jpg

FYI I have Enviro setup (and the shader modified accordingly) and having a reflection probe above doesn't do anything (I think Enviro manage that)

Do I need to setup something to have AQUAS being "opaque" under R.A.M?

24. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Did you blend it via vertex color alpha? Just make gradient on alpha via our spline vertex paint. In such way you could connect every different surfaces.

25. Necka_

Necka_

Yes I did it with the Vertex painting tool on Alpha channel as per your documentation

Should the two water types be exactly at the same height or one above each other in this case so it works best?

26. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Ram could be under or over a bit place where you blend it should be very softly blended like in our demo examples. Check place river met the sea or swamp river met swamp lake etc. There are few areas that we blend. Also if water surfaces are in the same render queue ( im almost sure they are not) you could add one or subtract one in r.a.m material render queue. Anyway its not this case this time i think. I dont remember what render queue aquas got.

27. Necka_

Necka_

It's really weird to be honest. Basically R.A.M is very slightly over Aquas and I painted very low level of transparency. The issue is RAM transparency shows only the ground under the river. I could have my river all the way above my ocean I would see the ocean floor, not Aquas at all (see the picture here, we're not supposed to see the ground)

I have no clue how material render queue works to be honest

Image 129.jpg

28. Necka_

Necka_

The render queue for RAM is 2999 and AQUAS is 3000 apparently

29. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Paint r.a.m as black .ALPHA or almost black in overlayed area. Not vertex color as color but Alpha in vertex color.

30. Necka_

Necka_

I don't get it, it's what I did, on my screenshot it's black with only Alpha set to a value

Am I using the wrong tool? that's what I think I saw on your videos

Image 130.jpg
    Image 131.jpg

31. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Now change r.a.m render queue to 3001. Its in material property at the bottom.

Render queue is order of rendering its most important in transparent materials.

32. Necka_

Necka_

AWESOME! it works perfectly

Thanks a lot, you saved the day :D

33. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Np:)

34. Duffer123

Duffer123

@NatureManufacture ,

Does this Asset auto-create sound objects in scene (ie. of flowing water, cascades etc)?

35. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Not yet.

36. viking0007

viking0007

Hi. Are you going to support vegitation studio in future update...so that vegitation is removed where i make a river or road?

Thanks

37. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Yes in next update there will be integration. Anyway you could attach script even now and it will work:) its easy pie. We co-op with Lennart (vs author) for long time and work on new products together.

Artomiano likes this.
  38. viking0007

viking0007

Super...thanks;) any ETA on next update?

39. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

2-3 weeks.

40. viking0007

viking0007

Ok..Thanks

41. Necka_

Necka_

Are there any new notable features in the next update? and which ones? :)

42. Krazeecain

Krazeecain

I just purchased this asset today, and am using it with Unity 2017.1.0f3. Only the mobile flowmap profiles work, everything else makes the river completely invisible. I assume it has something to do with this message under 1.4 release notes;

"Please re-alply your ramspline scripts into splines, they could be droped. Sorry for problems"

But I have no idea what this means.

Do I just need to update Unity or am I missing something?

43. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It was message only for users with old version of the pack as it was synced with lava.
    Does your pc/mac/goal app support tesselation? If not non tesseled profiles will fit you.
    Please check at fresh project too.

44. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

Just picked this up! Awesome!

I'm working on a low poly environment. This beautiful asset is TOO beautiful. I need to downscale it so it matches the environment around it.

Any tips?

I'm thinking I might need to edit the texture itself and maybe replace the nice foam with a more trianglized effect to simulate hard faces

NatureManufacture likes this.
  45. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Try to replace normalmaps by low poly stylised texture. Anyway depends from your design. In next up we will try to set some examples in this area.
    Yes foam also should get new look.

46. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

I'm away from computer so I'll try this in a bit.

But do you mean if I somehow draw up a texture like this

https://zappyspiker.deviantart.com/art/Low-Poly-Texture-531684634

It will make the shading and tessellation act more low poly?

I wanna see big triangles

47. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

48. khos

khos

Could I ask for some feature request(s)?:
    -Dynamic water sounds on river
    -Mist/spray generated on fast moving water when hitting objects like rocks
    I think this would bring this awesome asset even more to life.

49. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

About sound about few weeks ago I would say not really but now we have somone directly for sounds. So i will think about this and discuss with whole team.

Particles generating is a bit tricky but we will add this like whole enviro generation around the river.

lawsochi likes this.
  50. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

So I made a distorted plane in blender and baked the normals for that so I would have something random with various triangles.

Now what should I do with that? Replace all the normal maps?

When I did that I honestly didn't notice much difference