Search Unity

[SALE 50% OFF] Quest Machine: Hand-Written and Procedurally-Generated Quests

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TonyLi, Sep 20, 2017.

1. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @attaway! A dedicated integration package is in the works.

Even without an integration package it's still possible to use other assets, including Rucksack, with Quest Machine.

Quest Machine provides you simple, detailed starter template scripts that you can use to write custom conditions, actions, and more. In fact, these are the same scripts I'm using to write the official Rucksack integration.

hopeful likes this.
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

attaway and hopeful like this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Updated Support Packages: articy:draft, ORK Framework, Rucksack, uMMORPG

The Quest Machine Extras page has an updated importer for articy:draft that addresses an issue with Condition nodes. you can also download updated integration packages for ORK and uMMORPG, and integration for Rucksack.

4. attaway

attaway

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Quest Machine 1.1.2 Released

Version 1.1.2 is now available on the Asset Store!

This update contains bug fixes and adds support for Rucksack multiplayer inventory.

Sale Note: The Dialogue System for Unity is currently 50% in the Asset Store's Best of 2018 Holiday Sale. As a thank you to Dialogue System customers, Quest Machine offers a 50% "upgrade" discount if you already own a license for the Dialogue System. So if you buy the Dialogue System during the holiday sale, and then buy Quest Machine, you can get both for 50% off each.

Version 1.1.2 Release Notes:
    • CHANGED: FactionUrgencyFunction now returns positive affinity, not negative, since this is more intuitive.
    • Improved: Quest Editor now shows current quest state at runtime.
    • Improved: Quest Editor window gracefully handles if editor resources files are missing.
    • Added: Message System Logger component to log Message System activity only for specific GameObjects.
    • articy:draft: Fixed import of Conditions.
    • Dialogue System: Fixed Text Tables tags now usable in conversations.
    • Dialogue System: Added DialogueSystemTextQuestContent to use markup tags in Quest Machine UIs.
    • ORK Framework: Updated support for ORK 2.2.0.
    • Rucksack: Added support.
    • uSurvival: Item count condition can now be AtLeast or AtMost.

attaway likes this.
  6. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hey TonyLi,
    i bought quest machine last year and was not able to work with it until now.
    I was very interested in Enviro Support and CSV and JSON import/export which was on your Roadmap.
    How is it going? Is it finished? I have some native english speaking friends which would love to write some quest and storys without using Unity. They never worked with Unity before so CSV would be perfect.

Best regards
    Ronny

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi Ronny,
    Enviro is still on the roadmap. I've been prioritizing integrations by demand. For external formats, I prioritized articy:draft for quests, and CSV for text tables. Because of the flexible structure of quests in Quest Machine, CSV and JSON are awkward to use for quests, which is why I went with articy (in addition to the demand for articy support). However, I'm prototyping a quest template feature that might be a candidate for CSV or JSON. These are templates such as "Kill Quest" that you can define in Quest Machine and then apply a target to generate an actual quest such as "Kill the Dragon". It's in the prototype phase, so there's no guarantee when or if it will make it into the product. It might not prove to be useful, or it might turn out to be very useful.

Regarding Enviro, what kind of integration are you interested in?

8. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks for the fast response.
    Well articy costs another license than. Never heard of it. I always thought you will offer an "open" import format like csv, JSON or XML to get quest textes or stories into quest machine without using Unity to write them. Which would be great because you could outsource quest writing to native speakers which normaly are translators or people who never worked with Unity.

I am aware that you will not be able to create complex quests using Csv, JSON or XML but being able to write the quest text and answers would be enouph so the complex Part (quest type graphs etc) is done in Unity . Any "open" template format would be fine you know but it should be Human readable ;)

When talking about Enviro Support I was thinking about getting Enviro weather events. Like getting Day / Night Events so specific quests only appear and can be done at night. Or also getting time and seasons so specific quests can be started only at midnight or in Winter season. Enviro also uses Zones where the weather /profile can be totally different. Getting Zones Information for quest machine would be cool too but not so important like time, weather and season events.

Thanks
    Ronny

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  9. TonyLi

TonyLi

Great! CSV will take care of that right now then. Your authors can write the quest text in a spreadsheet application and export it as CSV. Then you can import it as a Text Table and hook it up in a quest node structure in Quest Machine. I'll try to get a video tutorial recorded by the end of the week. You'll probably find it helpful if they also include a Word document or something that explains how the different texts should be connected.

Okay, that shouldn't take too long. I'll try to get it done by the end of next week.

attaway likes this.
  10. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I can't express my gratitude for your answer and how fast you response and add features.
    Thats awesome. I will create some Spreadsheet Template and also do some Tutorials / Documents after you created the tutorial, so I see what I have to do to make it as easy as possible for the "story tellers". My goal is letting the community and or other people create quests stories which you than just import to quest machine and the Dev team does the complex stuff in defining the quest type / functionality etc.

First of all take a good and relaxing christmas and new years eve time. :) Quests that are connected to weather systems and events offer simply much more randomness and also cool things. Like creatures that are only spawned at night or quests like "Please bring me wood to make a fire because it's cold" only at winter season. That's why I asked :)

Best regards
    Ronny

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    attaway and TonyLi like this.
  11. TonyLi

TonyLi

uSurvival integration package updated

If you're using vis2k's uSurvival, the Quest Machine Extras page has an important update to the integration package. (The Extras page also a download link for the tutorial assets used in Quest Machine's video tutorial series.)

If you're considering buying Quest Machine, the Dialogue System for Unity is currently 50% off in the Asset Store's Best of 2018 Holiday Sale. If you have a license for the Dialogue System, you can get Quest Machine at 50% off.

12. TonyLi

TonyLi

@RonnyDance - Here's the video tutorial on pulling in quest text from an external source:

13. TonyLi

TonyLi

Quest Machine Addon for uSurvival 1.29 Available

uSurvival 1.29 introduces a breaking API change. You can download the updated Quest Machine addon package from the Quest Machine Extras page. After updating to uSurvival 1.29, remember to modify Database.cs, add the Scripting Define Symbol, and add a Player Pixel Crushers Data component to your player prefabs, as described on pages 4-5 of the addon manual.

14. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks so much. Everything is very clear and easy. Gonna find a tool which the users will use for drawing the different quest steps to make it easy for them.

TonyLi likes this.
  15. TonyLi

TonyLi

Get Quest Machine for Free

Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!

The Dialogue System for Unity is 50% off in the Asset Store's Best of 2018 Holiday Sale, which I believe ends at midnight PST today.

If you have a license for the Dialogue System, you can then get Quest Machine at an additional 50% off -- so essentially buy one, get one free. Happy questing!

RonnyDance likes this.
  16. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Chesney - Thanks for using Quest Machine! What versions of Unity, Quest Machine, and Inventory Engine are you using?

Quest Machine's integration is for the latest release of Inventory Engine, which runs on Unity 2018.2.0 or higher. Somewhat confusingly, if you're using an older version of Unity, the Asset Store will deliver an old version of Inventory Engine with a slightly different API. This is intended for folks who are maintaining old projects.

17. TauntGames

TauntGames

Hi, thanks for swift reply,
    I am using 2018.2.20f1
    And inventory engine and quest machine have just been downloaded from the store today.

18. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks! Do you have any other scripts named "Inventory" in your project? Perhaps a custom script, or another asset that neglected to put its Inventory script in a proper namespace?

19. TauntGames

TauntGames

There is another one I had previously written before implementing this today. Totally slipped my mind, folders are stacking up!
    Sorry for the trouble.
    Thanks so much,
    Steven.

TonyLi likes this.
  20. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad to help!

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

22. TonyLi

TonyLi

Updated Integration for articy:draft

The Quest Machine Extra Downloads page has an updated integration package for articy:draft. It fixes a bug when importing Condition nodes that have input pins.

23. wood333

wood333

I was reading the old asset store page for Quest Machine and it seems that it contains the reviews for the Dialogue System instead of or in place of reviews for Quest Machine. I find it a bit confusing.

Note: I own DS, QM and LH. All good.

24. TonyLi

TonyLi

This is an unfortunate side effect of the Asset Store's "upgrade" system, but it's the only way I can offer a 50% discount on Quest Machine for people who have already bought the Dialogue System. BTW, thanks for supporting DS, QM, and LH! :)

wood333 likes this.
  25. TonyLi

TonyLi

Quest Machine 1.1.3 Released!

Version 1.1.3 is now available on the Asset Store! Highlights include:
    • Editor improvements: auto-arrange nodes, quest list in gear menu.
    • Big improvements to articy:draft import.
    • Opsive character controller integration.
    • Updated integration for Dialogue System, ORK, uMMORPG, uSurvival.

Version 1.1.3 Release Notes:
    • Changed: When quest becomes successful|failed|abandoned, it sets any active nodes inactive.
    • Updated assembly definition files to include Wrappers; renamed Common to PixelCrushers.
    • Added: Quest Editor has now Arrange Nodes feature.
    • Added: Quest Editor gear menu now shows quest list for easier quest switching.
    • Added: Quest Editor gear menu can now move all loose text to a Text Table asset.
    • Improved: QuestGiver.StartDialogueWithPlayer() finds GameObject with QuestJournal if multiple GameObjects are tagged Player.
    • Improved: New quest counters' max value now initialized to 999; shows warning if min & max values are invalid.
    • Improved: Editors now handle issues with outdated third party assemblies more gracefully.
    • Improved: Can now assign requirement function assets to procedural quest generator action assets.
    • Improved: Can now drag scene object into Instantiate Prefab Quest Action's Location field.
    • Improved: QuestSubasset.quest and questNode properties are now public.
    • Improved: Moved UI art assets used by Quest Machine prefab from Demo folder to Prefabs folder.
    • Fixed: QuestCondition.SetTrue() now calls StopChecking().
    • Fixed: MessageSystem bug when removing listeners while sending a message.
    • Fixed: UIPanel timing bug when animations cause outgoing panel to overlap incoming panel.
    • Fixed: When parent node becomes true, it only sets child nodes active if the quest is still active.
    • Fixed: Can no longer parent a node to itself in Quest Editor.
    • Save System: Calling LoadGame() w/Save System > Save Current Scene unticked now also updates internal saved game cache.
    • Save System: ScenePortal.UsePortal() is now virtual.
    • TextTable: Large text areas now word wrapped.
    • Articy: Improvements to importing quests; nodes are auto-arranged; input pins are new imported as condition quest nodes; when creating templates, folders are created if they don't exist.
    • Dialogue System: Can now show other text (e.g., "no quests") as conversation; added PlaySequenceQuestAction; bridge now forwards UpdateTracker messages to Quest Machine UIs.
    • Opsive Character Controllers: Added support.
    • ORK Framework: Updated for 2.21.0.
    • uMMORPG: Updated for 1.155.
    • uSurvival: Updated for 1.34.

opsive and hopeful like this.
  26. TonyLi

TonyLi

Quest Machine 1.1.4 Now Available!

Version 1.1.4 is now available on the Asset Store! This is primarily a maintenance release. However, it adds more features to the Dialogue System integration and offers shorter folder names for those who have created projects deep in disk drive folder paths and are approaching Windows OS file path limits. To use the shorter folder names, delete Pixel Crushers/Common and Pixel Crushers/Quest Machine before importing the update. (Back up any customized files first.)

Version 1.1.4 Release Notes:
    • Changed: Shortened folder names.
    • Added: InputDeviceMethods utility component to access InputDeviceManager in inspector.
    • Fixed: QuestListContainer more gracefully handles loading of invalid save data (e.g., if quest changed since save).
    • Fixed: MessageSystem no longer throws error if sending message from object that's being destroyed.
    • Fixed: RuntimeTypeUtility API change to address iOS issue.
    • Dialogue System: Added Bark Quest Action.

AGregori and hopeful like this.
  27. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

hi @TonyLi, Ive had to roll back my project to 2018.2 and since then I am getting errors like below and the quest UI is not showing. My player odes indeed had quest journal added, so not sure what the issue is.

Quest Machine: Can't start dialogue with Female Gorilla. Player doesn't have a Quest Journal.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object, Object)
    PixelCrushers.QuestMachine.QuestGiver:StartDialogue(GameObject) (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Quest Machine/Scripts/Quest MonoBehaviours/Quest List/QuestGiver.cs:409)
    PixelCrushers.QuestMachine.QuestGiver:StartDialogueWithPlayer() (at Assets/Plugins/Pixel Crushers/Quest Machine/Scripts/Quest MonoBehaviours/Quest List/QuestGiver.cs:390)
    Motherhood:OnTriggerEnter(Collider) (at Assets/Motherhood.cs:67)

28. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @AndyNeoman - Did you roll back to an earlier Unity version? If so, from what version? 2018.3? And how did you roll back? Did you open your 2018.3 project in 2018.2 and Reimport All? Or just revert to an earlier version from your version control repository that was in 2018.2?

What version of Quest Machine are you using? (Check Plugins / Pixel Crushers / Quest Machine / _README.txt)

This error means the Quest Giver component on Female Gorilla can't find a Quest Journal component on the player. How have you configured quest dialogue to start? Are you calling the Female Gorilla's QuestGiver.StartDialogue method or QuestGiver.StartDialogueWithPlayer method?

If you're using QuestGiver.StartDialogue, make sure you've assigned a player GameObject that has a Quest Journal component.

If you're using QuestGiver.StartDialogueWithPlayer, it will check all GameObjects tagged 'Player' for a Quest Journal component.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  29. DerDicke

DerDicke

Just had a look at QuestMachine and Dialogue System in Asset Store.
    Why are all reviews the same for both products? Is it the same product? But why is it sold separately?

30. TonyLi

TonyLi

They are separate products. They do have integration support with each other, but just as often customers use only one or the other. The intermingled reviews are caused by the Asset Store's front end. Since the products pair nicely, I wanted to offer existing Dialogue System customers a discount on Quest Machine. Currently, the only way the Asset Store can offer a 50% discount on Quest Machine to existing Dialogue System customers is to configure it as an "upgrade." The side effect is that older Dialogue System reviews got copied over to the Quest Machine page. Star ratings aren't intermingled; just the review texts. Since both products are highly rated 5-star assets on their own, I felt that that being able to offer the 50% discount was worth the intermingled review texts.

In summary:
    • Quest Machine and the Dialogue System for Unity are separate products.
    • They have integration support with each other but also work independently.
    • The reviews are intermingled because that's the only way to offer a 50% discount on Quest Machine to existing Dialogue System customers.
    • If you plan to buy both, buy the Dialogue System first. Then buy Quest Machine in a separate purchase to get the 50% discount.

31. DerDicke

DerDicke

Hmm... I'm pretty sure the stars carry over. Why shouldn't they if Quest Machine is an upgrade to Dialogue System?
    Also last 'shared' review is 5 days old, so it's not just some old reviews, its all reviews.
    If you ask me this gives a wrong impression and it should not be allowed to exploit this 'upgrade- bug' this way.

Anyways, thanks for your answer.

32. TonyLi

TonyLi

No, I checked this with the Asset Store team. The ratings don't carry over, just the reviews. But it does appear that now all reviews carry over. Unfortunately the Asset Store doesn't support any other way to offer discounts. If others dislike this, let me know; I'll remove the discount.

33. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi there, not influenced by anybody on this subject and a customer of all TonyLi's product I can assure he's not exploiting anything to sweeten up his ratings. It is just a fact his products are worth 5-stars and seen his track record for support I would even rate him 5 more if I could.

AGregori, hopeful and TonyLi like this.
  34. AGregori

AGregori

Hi there, I'd like to ask if QM's elaborate Emerald AI integration still works OK with the major Emerald 2.2 update, or should we wait for a new QM package? Thanks.

35. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Gregorik - Not yet. I'll try to have it ready next week.

AGregori likes this.
  36. TonyLi

TonyLi

ORK Integration Update Available

Since a few folks have asked recently, the Quest Machine Extras page has an updated integration package for ORK Framework 2.23.0. (As well as updates for articy:draft, uMMORPG, and uSurvival integration.)

An updated integration package for Emerald AI 2.2 (the newly released version) is coming very soon in version 1.1.5 along with more quality of life enhancements to the node-based quest editor and more features for procedural quest generation.

AGregori likes this.
  37. dinaloraven234

dinaloraven234

Hi is there a shop system included in quest machine?

38. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @dinaloraven234 - No, it's a quest system, not a shop system. But it does have integration with Inventory Pro, which has a shop system. I also replied about EviLA's RPG asset in the Dialogue System thread.

hopeful likes this.
  39. TonyLi

TonyLi

Quest Machine 1.1.5 Released!

Version 1.1.5 is now available on Asset Store!

Highlights of this release:
    • Wizards to make it even easier to add counter requirements, message requirements, etc.
    • Many procedural quest generator improvements.
    • Updated integrations: Emerald AI, uMMORPG, ORK Framework, Opsive Controllers, Dialogue System

Version 1.1.5 Release Notes:
    • CHANGED: The format of save data for hand-written quests changed; one byte was added to record HUD track status; not compatible with older saved game files.
    • Added Quest Editor Wizards: Message Requirement, Counter Condition Requirement, Return to QuestGiver.
    • QuestEntity.id now correctly returns ID, not display name.
    • Spawner now observes random selection weights for prefabs.
    • Isolated Spawner’s instantiate and destroy methods to more easily override.
    • QuestGeneratorEntity can now specify order in which to apply reward systems.
    • Reward systems now support probability.
    • Reward systems can now access reward multipliers defined on entity types.
    • Quest generator Action > Required Value is now used as minimum value.
    • Text Table: Performance improvement when editing large tables.
    • UI: Panels remember last selection instead of reverting to first selectable. Added UIPanel.monitorSelection bool to temporarily disable this functionality.
    • Save System:
      • Position Saver now updates NavMeshAgent if present.
      • Assign Unique Keys menu item now also disambiguates existing duplicates.
      • Fixed error message “Some objects were not cleaned up” when stopping playmode when Save System doesn’t have data serializer or data storer.
    • Compass Navigator Pro: Updated for version 4.3.2.
    • Dialogue System:
      • When starting a conversation, Lua variables QUESTGIVER/ID, QUESTER/ID, QUESTID are now set.
      • BarkQuestAction > String can now play a sequence.
    • Opsive Character Controllers: Updated support for version 2.1.1; fixed bugs in saving inventory & attributes.
    • ORK Framework: Updated support for version 2.23.0.
    • Emerald AI: Updated support for version 2.2.
    • uMMORPG: Updated for version 1.162.
    • uSurvival: Updated for version 1.140.

40. ZGoodwin

ZGoodwin

Does 1.1.5 work with Unity 2018.3.6f1?

41. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @ZGoodwin - Yes, it works with all Unity versions 5.3.6 through 2019.1b.

If you're making a 2D project in Unity 2018+, make sure to enable Quest Machine's support for 2D Physics (Tools > Pixel Crushers > Common > Misc / Enable Physics2D Support) (video).

42. TonyLi

TonyLi

Updates Available: uMMORPG Addon, Reward Systems

The Quest Machine Extras page has an updated addon package for uMMORPG 1.165. It also contains a small patch that fixes an issue with reward systems used by procedural quest generators and allows quest journal UIs to update their portrait images (and optionally title) from the quest journal.

Weblox likes this.
  43. TonyLi

TonyLi

Quest Machine 1.1.6 Released

Version 1.1.6 is now available on the Asset Store!

Release Notes:
    • Fixed: Custom reward systems using older 2-parameter signature were not working.
    • Improved: Quest journal UI now uses quest journal's image, optionally display name.
    • Text Tables:
      • Fixed: Adding new field showed blank line until refresh.
      • Added: Sort & search features.
    • Save System:
      • Added Restore State On Start checkbox to savers.
      • Added DeleteSavedGameInSlot method to SaveSystemMethods.
    • ORK Framework: Updated reward systems.
    • uMMORPG: Updated for version 1.165.

44. TonyLi

TonyLi

Quest Machine 1.1.7 Released

Version 1.1.7 is now available on the Asset Store. This update has some handy additions for quest rewards. It also updates the Dialogue System and uSurvival integrations.

Version 1.1.7 Release Notes:
    • Added: QuestMachineID component to assign IDs to GameObjects other than QuestEntity, QuestGiver, and QuestJournal.
    • Improved: Group buttons are now supported for quest reward selection.
    • Improved: Generated quests turn-in dialogue show rewards that player receives.
    • Fixed: When completing quest and only one quest left on giver, back button closed instead of going back.
    • Dialogue System: Fixed string comparison bug in Lua Variable Quest Condition.
    • uSurvival: Updated for version 1.43; added ServerSpawner.

hopeful likes this.
  45. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

I would like to use Quest Machine with Adventure Creator. I have loaded both and used the Third Party Support in QM to import the AC package, but I am getting the following error:

Assets\AdventureCreator\Scripts\Actions\QuestMachineStartDialogueAction.cs(107,30): error CS0115: 'QuestMachineStartDialogueAction.AssignConstantIDs(bool)': no suitable method found to override

The same error appears in several other scripts, including GenerateQuest and GiveQuest.

I have used AC with Dialogue System and there was a bridge to AC but I cannot find one for QM.

How can I get things working please?

46. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @mikemuk01 - I'm working today on updating Quest Machine to work with the latest Adventure Creator. I'll post an update here and on the Quest Machine Downloads page when it's available.

47. TonyLi

TonyLi

@mikemuk01 - Just an update. I'm running a little behind on updates. I'll post here as soon as it's ready, I expect by Friday if not sooner.

48. TonyLi

TonyLi

49. TonyLi

TonyLi

Quest Machine Video Tutorials

Thank you to everyone who has bought Quest Machine during the May Madness Sale! Reminder: The sale runs through May 14, so make sure to get it at 50% off before the sale ends.

Quest Machine has an extensive manual -- but if you prefer video tutorials, you can watch them here:

Quest Machine Video Tutorials

50. TonyLi

TonyLi

Adventure Creator Integration Updated

@mikemuk01 - The Adventure Creator addon has been updated for the latest version of Adventure Creator. You can download it from the Quest Machine Extras page or right here:

QM_AdventureCreator_Support_2019-05-05.unitypackage

If you have any questions about using it, please let me know.

AGregori likes this.