Search Unity

[RELEASED] Puzzle Game Templates

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by puppeteer, Aug 11, 2016.

?

Are you interested in this series of puzzle games? What types of games would you like?

1. I'm interested in these types of templates.

35 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. Not interested at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'd like to see a "Scrambled Word" game

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. I'd like to see a "Find The Difference" game

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  5. I'd like to see a "Sliding Puzzle" game

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. I'd like to see some other type of puzzle game ( please share your suggestion in the thread )

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hello all,

I'm starting a new series of puzzle game templates, so I thought it might be a good idea to group them all under one thread for easier access to all. What do you folks think? Would you buy something like that? Is there a specific type of puzzle you'd like to have?

Here are some of the latest puzzles added to the store:

And here's the full list of the puzzles:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/lists/puzzles-trivia-games-61498

There will be more puzzles like that which I'll share here, so if you have any questions, suggestions, or requests you are most welcome to share them in the discussion.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. UnitySora

UnitySora

I would like to see:
    - "Crossword" puzzle
    - "Bonza" type game (which combine word search and jigsaw)
    - "WordBrain" type game (player swipe from fixed position of letters to form word)
    - "94%" type game

I am not sure how difficult to make those game, but I just give suggestions, hopefully is useful for you.

Artomiano and puppeteer like this.
  3. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks for the great suggestions, grid based word games are always the toughest to make, but I'll try to see which of those I can make and just see where it goes.

4. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's a video from the next puzzle game in the series:

I hope it gets accepted into the store by next week.

Artomiano likes this.
  5. AndPoint

AndPoint

Dear Puppeteer.
    I am interesting find the The Difference.
    Please consider use level map to make your game. I bought your product but I need you and level select to the game.
    Thanks

6. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks for the suggestion, would you like a level selection with locked/unlocked levels based on your performance?
    Maybe something similar to what I did here:

7. puppeteer

puppeteer

8. UnitySora

UnitySora

It will be better if we could optionally add hint (text/image) to each word in the scrambled word template.

puppeteer likes this.
  9. puppeteer

puppeteer

This will be a punishment/reward thing in the next update. You'll be able to display an initial text as a hint, or have the option to display a hidden hint during play, which could cost you part of the bonus ( or nothing at all ).

10. puppeteer

puppeteer

The next update for Scrambled Word has been submitted to the store, it should be online within a few days.

Here's what's changed:

1.04 (22.08.2016)

- The words list are now separated from the main gamecontroller, which allows you to set word list more easily, and assign lists to several game levels.
    - Added a new words list with hints. This list allows you to add image and text hints to each word, and either display it when the word appears or when you press a hint button, which could also cost you some bonus points.
    - You can now assign a start screen that will appear before the game starts. Use this to show instructions or a description for the game before playing.
    - Fixed a bug where buttons didn’t work on handheld devices.
    - Fixed a bug where the game would end if there were not enough words with a certain letter count in the list, instead of finding a word with more letters.
    - Minor changes, removed extra assets and added some more animations.

11. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's a look at the Image Hints feature from the new update:

12. puppeteer

puppeteer

Someone on another one of my threads mentioned an idea about making a Two-of-a-Kind type of game, so I feel inclined to share this little video.

This was originally a template I made using Flash, but I'm sure it will work better as a Unity template these days.

Artomiano likes this.
  13. puppeteer

puppeteer

I'm going to push another small update for Scrambled Word Game before posting anything else. There are a couple of fixes ( thanks @wheretheidivides for the catches ), and a few more animations I'd like to add.

Should be submitted tonight.

14. puppeteer

puppeteer

The next update for Scrambled Word Game has been submitted, it has more features than I initially intended, but there's some good stuff there. The main thing is the new game mode that has full sentences that lets you organize words within a sentence.

It should be accepted to the store within a few days.

15. puppeteer

puppeteer

I just submitted a new update for Matching Game Template, it should be in the store within a few days:

Update 1.05 (20.10.2016)

- Gave the game graphics an overhaul with a more colorful presentation, and a frame to hold the images and text in a more presentable way within the grid.

- Fixed gamepad/keyboard support, so now you can correctly select the objects on screen and the menu.

- Fixed a case in which the Text/Text game mode gets stuck on mobile devices.

- Made it so that when using gamepad/keyboard you don’t need to go through the empty slots, and will only move between visible objects. This makes the game easier to play with gamepad/keyboard.

16. puppeteer

puppeteer

I was asked by one of my customers to explain how to create a new level in Scrambled Word Game, so here's a short video:

17. puppeteer

puppeteer

Another question by a customer, this time we checked how the Turkish language would look in the game:

18. puppeteer

puppeteer

Another question from a customer, this user wanted to be able to display a question associated with the current word, in addition to the optional hint. Here's the result:

Would anyone else be interested in having such a functionality?

19. UnitySora

UnitySora

Hi, I want to know is there any new puzzle game in the progress? I like word puzzle game generally.

puppeteer likes this.
  20. puppeteer

puppeteer

I have a couple of puzzlers in ongoing development, but they are not exactly word games. Though one of them can be used that way, it's a remake of Hidden Object Game, which can have either images, words, or letters which you need to find.

21. UnitySora

UnitySora

I used your hidden object game template before, I got some suggestions since you going to remake it.

1. The current template is to compete high score, I would suggestion the remake version is going through stages. I.e. stage 1 is to find 2 scissors, 1 calculator. Stage 2 is finding other things defined by developer. Earlier stage show image as hint, middle stage show text as hint, later stage can show a riddle like thing in pencil box as hint.

2. As for find word/letter, it could be "spot a mistake" type game. Maybe given a sentence, player need to spot the mistake in spelling or other, if tap wrongly, one life will be deducted, or score will be penalised, after that the corrent answer is shown and move to next question.

(Edit) 3. Items doesn't overlap each other, and player can scroll the screen horizontally, or vertically or both, allow bigger search area.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  22. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi puppy,

days go by. And after I got TQGT, I also bought the Scrambled Word Game and Matching Game Templates. ;)
    Nice to see, that you created some new features.

So I wanna suggest one improvement of Scrambled Word Game: Could you integrate an option to show not only one line of a word (or phrase) but a matrix of letters to choose. I mean a letter matrix of e.g. 10x10 letters (mixed in the matrix). And the player have to choose the right letters to create the asked word. This would be a nice alternative in this game template.

Cheers,
    Tom

puppeteer likes this.
  23. puppeteer

puppeteer

Actually your description could work as a new puzzle type of its own, that instead of scrambled words you need to reorganize, it presents you with a set of random letters from which you must choose a set of letters to create the correct word. I'll look into it.

In the meantime I made something else with the Scrambled Word when I read your "matrix" comment, it's just a modified number of rows in the grid, nothing special:

24. Artomiano

Artomiano

Okay, I'll wait.

Hm... it's a nice "simple thing" to expand the base system too.

puppeteer likes this.
  25. Artomiano

Artomiano

Any news about the "matrix"? ;)

puppeteer likes this.
  26. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 1.2 for Scrambled Word Game is live:

1.2 (28.06.2017)
    - You can choose to mix whole sentences or individual letters, regardless of whether you have a sentence in the list or not.
    - No need to set the letter increase number. The next word/sentence length is found automatically when leveling up.
    - Updated to latest Unity versions.

27. puppeteer

puppeteer

New puzzle template coming soon to the store:

28. puppeteer

puppeteer

Would anyone be interested in a standalone "Simon" style puzzle game?

Something like this but modified to be similar to my other puzzle games and to work as a complete project.

29. Artomiano

Artomiano

No. But working on the other desired things would be very great. :D
    For me, the most important things would be:
    a) "Find the right word" - in a character matrix (the "word" should be hidden horizontally or vertically or diagonally in a matrix of letters) As far as I know does it not work with the last update or am I wrong?
    b) "Find the difference" - simple clickable/touchable image comparison
    c) "Classic Memory Card Game" - with increasing difficulty by displaying a pair of more cards per level (and I wish a template each for 2D (top view) and 3D)

puppeteer likes this.
  30. puppeteer

puppeteer

The easiest for me would be the Memory Card Game, as it's something I already made in Flash. In Unity it would be different of course and I might do it on a 3D table base that can be rotated to make a 2D/Isometric game out of it.

Find the difference sounds easy in theory, but it would be more of a problem for me to create the demo for it, as I'll need to make some images for comparison.

31. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi puppy,
    really? I think you can use some PD images (public domain) for the demo. Then you change a couple of details of the image. It's easy, I think. ;) The question is: How to define the "hotspots"? Can I "paint" an hotspot area in the manipulated image? Or have to define a set of coordinates? I think, the painting method would be most usable. What do you think?

puppeteer likes this.
  32. puppeteer

puppeteer

I actually started testing out a Find-The-Difference template after your question, and there are a few design considerations:

FTDGame.png
    If you simply have two static images with different spots, it would result in a repetitive game where the difference is always obvious, and in addition you wouldn't be able to clearly reveal the difference at a certain point.

My method is like this. You make one image ( the white box ) and keep all the "difference" elements out of it. Then you add them as buttons ( shoe, dart, etc ). When the game starts, the image is automatically duplicated so you have two identical images with all the differences, and then some of them are randomly removed from the first image, while others are removed from the second image. Clicking on a difference will reveal it on both sides with a nice effect.

This method gives you a randomized game every time, so it can be more fun.

My problem right now is the effort it might take the designer when creating their own images. I want the process to be as simple as editing an image and applying the changes as a prefab. But Unity has a problem with showing canvas elements outside of a canvas space. I guess I'll make a short video showing how to make your own images in the docs.

Artomiano likes this.
  33. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi puppy,
    hm... your thought sounds wise. Two questions:
    1. How do you want to create the "nice effect" by clicking the hotspot?
    2. Could you create an option for the developer to choose between two game modes? Mode 1 = random game, as you described. Mode 2 = classic mode, where the game developer manually set spots.

To be clear: I love your idea for random type of differences. This makes the game template better replayable. Why do I need the classic mode? Because of graphic art. A well painted images looks much better than a randomly generated "mess of objects". You know what I mean? ;) In this case I have to set hotspot manually on predefinied positions.

34. puppeteer

puppeteer

It's not exactly a "mess of objects", to make it clearer it's more like if you have your image with all the "difference" parts on it, then you would have some of them randomly removed ( no position change ), so each time you play that image you'll get a different set of missing pieces, but they are all part of your image as you made it originally.

About the non-random part, that can be a simple toggle on your game controller that you can set to either have random differences each time, or no random differences. So this is possible too.

35. puppeteer

puppeteer

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  36. puppeteer

puppeteer

37. puppeteer

puppeteer

I'm working on a couple of new puzzle games to be released this month and the next. First one is the "Find the Difference" project I showed earlier, and the other one is a "Scrambled Image" type of game where you move around tiles making up an image. Here's a bit of WIP:

Azimuthph and UnitySora like this.
  38. UnitySora

UnitySora

Awesome, would buy when it is released.

puppeteer likes this.
  39. sicga123

sicga123

How easily can these templates be imported into another project? Can they be used in a larger project as a minigame and if so can this be easily done without rewriting masses of code?

puppeteer likes this.
  40. puppeteer

puppeteer

You should be able to import this project into another one and work with it with minimal tinkering, but in the end it depends on the other project too; for example you might need to tick-off some of the Project Settings when importing one into the other.

I just had a review by a customer who used one of my puzzles as a minigame in a larger project. Here's his review:

41. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's some gameplay from the next puzzle game:

42. puppeteer

puppeteer

New update for Matching Game template is live on the store:

1.15 (11.01.2018) - Added new game mode that has pairs of Images and Images. This allows you to match two images to each other based on their names.

43. puppeteer

puppeteer

44. puppeteer

puppeteer

Got a chance to make a new template, all by chance after chatting with a user who wanted to modify another template into a Two of a Kind style of game. Took several days of coding to get it to work right, but here it is finally:

45. UnitySora

UnitySora

Just realised scrambled image is out, and bought. Looking forward more puzzle mini games.

puppeteer likes this.
  46. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks for the purchase!

Speaking of puzzles, I just found out that Two of a Kind matching game is live on the store too:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/111432

47. puppeteer

puppeteer

Had a question/suggestion regarding Two-of-a-Kind, the user wanted to compare a hidden image to a text. So I made some modifications to the code and a toggle that will switch between pairing Images and Pairing an Image to it's own name.

This is how it would work:
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif(2).gif

I'll add this to the next update.

48. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 1.05 (11.04.2018)
    - Added a game mode toggle that changes the game to display a pair of image and the name of that image in text, instead of two images.

49. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's how you can create your own objects in Hidden Object Game Template:

Artomiano likes this.
  50. Artomiano

Artomiano

Hi Puppy,

I hope you did not forget the "Find the Difference" game type. ;)

puppeteer likes this.