Search Unity

[RELEASED] Puppet3D - a professional rigging toolset for Unity.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jamieniman, Feb 28, 2018.

1. jamieniman

jamieniman

I wasn't able to reproduce this error. Are you able to make a video showing it? (If you want you can email Puppet3DUnity@gmail.com)

2. sacb0y

sacb0y

Is it possible to make a rig from existing bones with this tool?

3. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yes, you just add the bone component to the bone gameobjects, and then you can add controls including for example the IK/FK blended limb controls. (Spline controls are the only exception as the spline bones get generated when you make the spline controls).
    If your character is already a humanoid, you can instantly add a full rig by clicking "ModRig".

4. Intoccabile

Intoccabile

Hey mate, I have a bit of an issue with the autorigging. When I make guides they are always all over the place. they never align to my model. I've even tried downloading some free models just to see if there was something wrong with my models but it still occurs. I'm not sure what is going on. Let me know if you need more info.

5. Young_Scott

Young_Scott

I'm also running into problems with the autorigging, though it sounds like Intoccabile got further than me:

I picked up Puppet3D on the asset store and I'm trying to get to grip with the absolute basics. I've imported a simple t-pose model into Unity, selected it in the scene hierarchy, switched to wireframe mode, brought up the Auto Rig tab from the Puppet 3D window, but when I click on "Make Guides", absolutely nothing happens. No errors, no warnings, nothing. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

This is on both Unity 2018.3 and Unity 2019.1.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

(I also sent this to the contact form on the Puppet3D website, but I don't know how often that's checked!)

6. jamieniman

jamieniman

They will always need to be moved by the user to the correct places on your characters key spots. It mirrors and centres to your mesh to make it easier. Shouldnt take more than a minute to do. :)

7. jamieniman

jamieniman

Hi, just replied to the email - just checking you are selecting a gameobject with a skinnedmeshrenderer on it?

8. Young_Scott

Young_Scott

Thank you for the fast reply! I'll continue the conversation here, in case anyone else is having the same problem.

I was certain I was already selecting the whole mesh, but I carefully checked through my model hierarchy again and discovered that one of the sub-meshes was indeed broken. Removing the offending piece and selecting all remaining meshes has allowed me to place guides. I'll have a go at retrying it now!

9. jamieniman

jamieniman

Aaah, missing mesh reference? Let me know how you get on :)

10. Maniakbill

Maniakbill

Hi this asset is amazing, i love how easy it is to use to create rigs and to mod already rigged characters. However I can't get the animations made in Puppet back out again, the Bake Animation and Bake & Export Anims button don't seem to work properly, i have tried both and it does something, a progress bar comes up and animations get saved to the puppet3d/animations/baked folder but they never work, they are always empty/corrupt. Am I doing something wrong or are you aware of a bug? It's a real shame not to be able to bake animations as the rest of the asset is amazing but unfortunately useless if you cant use what you make!
    I have looked at leaving the character rigged in game however then you have a problem with other animations where they cant affect the character without either disabling controls or moving the fk/ik sliders back and forth, not really practical to have to script some animations and not others.
    Please help!!

11. Maniakbill

Maniakbill

and also, why are there two bake buttons? what's the difference? It would be helpful to have much more about baking in the documentation

12. jamieniman

jamieniman

The "Bake & Export Anims" button is the one that you want to use. Ignore the animations that get saved into the Baked folder, these animations are the pre-export anims where all the keyframes are set onto the bones as oppose to the controls. Puppet3D should be generating animations in the same folder as the skinned model asset - it should have a name like yourCharacter@animName.dae. These files should work with your previous animations as long as your character is set to use a humanoid rig.
    Let me know how you get on.

13. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Hi there, does Puppet3D work with Sinespace?

14. marchall_box

marchall_box

Hi,

I have question before purchasing the asset. @jamieniman
    Is it possible to rig for Humanoid/Mecanim so I can use mecanim animations?
    Also, for that type of rig, does it support autorig or auto weight painting?

Jae

15. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yes,
    you can export the rig and animations so they work with the humanoid/avatar import settings.

upload_2019-7-29_13-16-41.png upload_2019-7-29_13-17-15.png

16. unicat

unicat

Hi, i have two pair of fps arms. One with bones and animations and one without bones and animations. Is it possible with this program to add the pair without bones and animation to the one with bones and animations? Both have generic rig. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  17. dl290485

dl290485

I'm trying to set up Puppet Master with a Puppet 3d rig. I have to enter references, such as left upper arm, left lower arm, left hand, etc, and it puts the colliders in accordingly. However I'm stuck on:

Hips
    Spine
    Chest

Which objects do I set for these references?

18. jamieniman

jamieniman

Are the arms the same length? You can add the Puppet3D Bone component to the bones, and then skin the other arms to the same bones.

19. jamieniman

jamieniman

Haven't used Puppetmaster - but have you tried this:
    Hips: Spine_01
    Spine: Spine_02
    Chest: Spine_03

20. sordidlist

sordidlist

Hello - when I rig one of my models with Puppet3D, he idles normally but his arms are crossed behind his back.

Do I just need to manually tweak bone rotations to fix this? Thanks!

21. jamieniman

jamieniman

Was your character in an A-pose when you rigged it? Ideally it should be in a T-pose.
    But you can actually adjust this after rigging. To adjust - select the handL_CTRL_GRP, translate and rotate it so the character is in a T-pose. Then the animations on the arms should work out much better.(Make sure you use the _GRP gameObject not the _CTRL iteself - as this is the thing that has the animation on it)

Hope this make sense - let me know if you need any more/other help :)

22. michelhabib

michelhabib

Hello @jamieniman , i am a developer and beginner/medium level 3D generalist. I am building a Mobile AR App with 3D stories in it. I have characters that need to be rigged and animated to tell the stories, mostly non-humanoid, could be birds, animals, veggies, trees, and a few humanoids. (10 * 3minutes stories with a total of 30+ rigged characters, but not too complex)
    In terms of workflow, do you think Puppet3D is the right tool to build my stories inside unity? or should i go the traditional rigging animation way in 3d package and import into unity?
    Also, if I go the Puppet3D route, do you think it would be easy to find a rigger/animator who would be familiar with Puppet3D to help with the project? is that a workflow you know successful projects adopted?
    If you don't know the answer would you give me the criteria to help me decide for myself? i appreciate your time.

23. Sword111

Sword111

Hi im trying to improve my blade physics in my vr fencing game. Do you think your puppet 3d could help to improve my physics based blade needs allowing for collision, gravity based reactions . www.ufencevr.com . Best Hugo

24. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hello, is it possible to export the bones to maya or blender where I can animate? My character doesnt have bones and Im looking for a simple tool to create them. Im not experienced with rigging or weight painting.

25. jnbbender

jnbbender

26. awesomedata

awesomedata

"Blender?"

Was my first thought, then I checked myself and realized that we do have the new AnimationRigging package out there. I'd be really glad to see some of that modular animation added to the "ModRig" concept in Puppet3d, and things like ponytails and other floppy bits for secondary animation would be easy and procedural -- perfect for sorts of things like hair.

In the meantime though, Blender is really the best option for rigging/weighting this kind of stuff. It's worth it to learn if you haven't. However, if Puppet3d were to support modular secondary animation... I'd suggest using it instead! :)

What say you, @jamieniman -- any plans for something like this?

27. jnbbender

jnbbender

I also just noticed this.
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/05/1...ion-rigging-preview-package-for-unity-2019-1/

28. awesomedata

awesomedata

Yep, there's a new set of examples for 2019.2 coming from siggraph (from a talk by @davehunt_unity ) that shows off more of that using guns and multi-aim constraints.

I've not had time to test whether this stuff works with a standard mecanim/humanoid setup like Puppet3d caters to, but I've been beating the Unity devs in the head with "WE NEED BETTER ANIMATION TOOLS THAT CAN DO COOL PROCEDURAL STUFF LIKE SECONDARY ANIMATION AUTOMATICALLY" since forever now, so it looks like there are finally more exciting times ahead for animation in Unity than just Kinematica alone. I seriously can't wait. :)

29. jamieniman

jamieniman

This can now be done with the Transfer Weights button.
    Heres how to do it:
    1. Duplicate your character in the project.
    2. Bring this into the scene and skin it to the same bones, along with the new bones.
    3. Select the old skinned mesh, followed by the new skinned mesh and click "Transfer Weights"
    4. Now you can paint the weight of new bones onto your mesh.
    upload_2019-10-4_14-3-26.png

For ease I's like to make an "Add bones" feature - but the above should work.

30. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yes - you can export it as a collada file which Maya/blender can read. (You can of course paint weights using Puppet3D by the way)

31. BusterTheWizard

BusterTheWizard

@jamieniman I am using Unity 2019.2.0f1 and am not able to use the weight painting at all. Nothing happens when I use it, whether adding or removing weights. It also does not reset my material's shader back to the existing one after clicking Finish Edit Skin Weights.

32. jamieniman

jamieniman

Do you get any console errors?

33. inventonater

inventonater

@nixtwiz @jamieniman
    I'm seeing the same issue in both 2019.2.9f1 and 2019.3.0b7. Not getting the circle mouse painter tool - my pointer remains an arrow. Nothing is being reported in the console, and nothing in the Editor.log.

Looks and works great in 2018.4.11f1, I get the circle mouse painter tool as expected.

34. BusterTheWizard

BusterTheWizard

I don't get any errors. I get the circle in 2019.2.0f1 and its opacity changes correctly it just doesn't do anything when used.

inventonater likes this.
  35. jamieniman

jamieniman

I just tried the latest release (2019.2.10f1)and its working for me. Have you tried it on the default demoman character?

36. inventonater

inventonater

Thanks for the quick reply @jamieniman ! Super excited about this tool so I appreciate your help :)

I encountered the issue on both Mac and Windows with 2019.2.10. I'm trying with a fresh Unity project and DemomanScene.unity.

2018.4.11 works perfectly!
    2018win.png

I can't seem to get a circle to paint weights in 2019.2.10f on Windows or Mac:
    2019win.png

2019mac.png

Hope this is helpful - maybe there is something I'm doing incorrectly? I'm using your tool in 2018 for the time being, but my main project is all 2019 so hopefully this turns out to be something simple to resolve together :)

37. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

Hello, I'm want to skin a very simple mesh gor a mobile game project. On sknning, tab we can chosse between Voxel and Closest point. How do this choice impact perfromance
    Hello, I'm want to skin a very simple mesh gor a mobile game project. On sknning, tab we can chosse between Voxel and Closest point. How does this choice impact performances at runtime ?

Other question, Does it possible to rig and skin a flat model (without any depth on one of 3 axis) ? I'm trying to rig and skin such model but without success (lot of erratic results).

Other question, when I try to add a IK Control to a bone, no control is added and I've got following message: "bone_49 has a Spline control attached, please make sure there are at least 3 bones after the spline bone". What does that mean ?

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  38. jamieniman

jamieniman

I can't seem to reproduce this error. Are you able to make a completely new project, import Puppet3D and try. I want to see if its some specific setup in your project thats causing the issue

39. jamieniman

jamieniman

This doesn't affect runtime performance. These are two different algorithms to work out the default skin weights. Voxel - voxelizes the mesh and then propagates the skin weights through it. This will usually give the best results, but its slower. Closest point - this finds the closest bone to each vertex (with a bit of blending with its parent bones). This runs much faster but won't give as smooth results.

The default skinning algorithms have been written for 3D. I do have a Puppet2D for that though. Sorry for the shameless plug ;-)

The bone is already being controlled by the spline control. The spine bones from the autorig use them. You can also make them using the Spline control button. See here:

IK controls should be at the end of a 3 joint setup eg. Shoulder>Elbow>Wrist

If any of these bones have another control influencing them - it won't let you add the IK control.

40. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

Hello @jamieniman, any plan be able to give a name to a selection/pose and to persist a pose onto unity project ?
    Thanks

41. fherbst

fherbst

Feedback time!

- "Manually Edit Weights" creates one gameobject per vertex; you should warn before doing that (it crawls any scene to a halt). It's so slow I can't even undo it properly, and even the UI just breaks.
    upload_2019-11-5_16-21-55.png

- "Paint Weights" brush radius doesn't work for me, it always seems to paint the full model (?) or brush radius isn't scaled properly with model size
    - "Undo Paint Weights" does not undo what I just painted, it just does nothing
    191105-162628.gif
    (both errors can be seen in that pic)

- Model is often accidentally rotated / transformed while painting weights since the transform gizmo stays active

- Neither voxel nor closest point produce even remotely usable results on that above model, maybe I'm doing something wrong with the bone layout?
    The large spherical bone is supposed to transform the "head". Instead, the hip bone transforms the head vertices.
    191105-163358.gif

Attached Files:

42. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yes, I'd like to revisit this at some point https://trello.com/b/QTIdroyP/puppet3d

You can change the size of the brush in the UI.
    I'm working on putting back the paint weights undoing - just need to make it perform well on high res meshes.

This is an issue - I've added this to the list

You should increase the number of voxels. (If you click keep voxels - you can see how it gets voxelized)

Also - you can change the radius of the bones in the inspector.

43. fherbst

fherbst

Paint weights brush size - you can see the brush size in the GIF, it's the circle. The whole model is painted on clicking though. I tried making the brush tiny but the slider didn't allow for such accuracy to even be able to paint the model. You see in the GIF that the slider is already nearly fully to the left and still... I think you are not accurately taking model scale into account for that brush apply size.

I tried changing bone radius but that just produced "differently random" results, not better ones. Voxel resolution is at maximum and gives the results in that GIF. Might again be an issue with model scale, not sure.

44. jamieniman

jamieniman

Could you try this - there is a freeze Mesh button - could you select your mesh and click this before skinning it to the bones. I wonder if its due to transforms on your model.

45. AllahuAkbar-Ad-Din

AllahuAkbar-Ad-Din

your link is broken ? an't found your app

46. jamieniman

jamieniman

47. xoodZ

xoodZ

Hello!
    Before buying your asset, I want to know if it can be used to use the human animation mechanism for a character such as https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/creatures/creature-titan-79302
    This character now has a generic animation, and I want to add existing animations (turns, stone throw, strafe).
    Also in the video I did not find information about how to configure finger bones for humanoid animations.

48. jamieniman

jamieniman

For generic – you can manually add controls such as IK and parent controls to animate it. (You just need to add the Bone component to the bones first)

Or, seeing as it is basically a biped character – you can easily switch it and its animations to humanoid. (You just need to set the bones in the avatar). Then you can use the one click “MODRIG” button to make a automatic rig on it.

To rig the fingers there is a checkbox in the Puppet3D UI that says “Rig Fingers”, set this before clicking MODRIG and it will make controls for the fingers.

xoodZ likes this.
  49. anton88pro

anton88pro

Hi,
    I have a problem using "create bone tool".
    I'm using Unity 2019.2.10f1 and was trying to create bones here, but nothing happens when I click in a scene view. Though I've successfully used Auto rig tool here. Moreover, "Create bone tool" works fine in Unity 2018.2.8f1. In both versions I did everything the same. Please, help to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

50. jamieniman

jamieniman

It may be possible that your Unity didn’t upgrade your version properly – I’ve heard this happening to a few people.

To fix open Puppet3DEditor.cs and replace all SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate with SceneView.duringSceneGui

I'll hopefully have this fixed in the next release

anton88pro likes this.