Search Unity

[RELEASED] Puppet3D - a professional rigging toolset for Unity.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jamieniman, Feb 28, 2018.

1. jamieniman

jamieniman

Thats a good idea. I'll add it to my todo list

MostHated likes this.
  2. Joshua_strawchildgames

Joshua_strawchildgames

Hey, that helps explain the different bones I'm seeing, thanks! But I'm still not sure how to attach props per say. You say that props should attach to the Skinned skeleton, but should not be animated directly, and the game object itself is hidden, thereby not showing any attached objects. Should I unhide pelvis_JNT and place props manually? I think I can see that working actually. I'll try a few things out.

Thanks for your response.

3. Joshua_strawchildgames

Joshua_strawchildgames

Okay, I think I got things working just the way I want, kinda. The next, and hopefully last problem I have. I want to be able to have the character's other hand anchor to an object. Like a sword, I have it under the right hand, but I need the left hand to anchor to it. I was thinking of creating a new control of sorts, or perhaps changing the IKFK blend, but I can't seem to figure it out. However after digging, I'm left with more questions. Like how does the IK Controls actually affect the IK. I don't see any references to the controls anywhere. Seriously, I can't find any object in my character's hierarchy that refers to the controller object.

4. adrian-taylor09

adrian-taylor09

Hey there..

I have an unrigged model of a glove (nothing else) can someone suggest the best approach for rigging and skinning with Puppet 3D?

5. Joshua_strawchildgames

Joshua_strawchildgames

Seeing an error or two with baking animations

Code (CSharp):
    1. Key index (1) is out of range [0, 1)
    2. UnityEditor.AnimationUtility:GetCurveBindings()
    3. UnityEditorInternal.AnimationWindowSelectionItem:get_curves() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Animation/AnimationWindow/AnimationWindowSelectionItem.cs:204)
    4. UnityEditorInternal.AnimationWindowState:get_allCurves() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Animation/AnimationWindow/AnimationWindowState.cs:533)
    5. UnityEditorInternal.AnimationWindowHierarchyDataSource:FetchData() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Animation/AnimationWindow/AnimationWindowHierarchyDataSource.cs:47)
    6. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController:ReloadData()
    7. UnityEditorInternal.AnimationWindowHierarchyDataSource:UpdateData() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Animation/AnimationWindow/AnimationWindowHierarchyDataSource.cs:156)
    8. UnityEditorInternal.AnimationWindowState:Refresh() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Animation/AnimationWindow/AnimationWindowState.cs:252)
    9. UnityEditorInternal.AnimationWindowState:OnGUI() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Animation/AnimationWindow/AnimationWindowState.cs:222)
    10. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Also, some animations are not baked completely and seem to be missing the last 1/6 or so of the animation.

6. jamieniman

jamieniman

They may be separate issues - the errors started happening in more recent versions of Unity, but from my testing they didn't stop the bake working.
    But animations not fully baked is a new one for me. Can you notice anything distinct about the control animations that didn't work compared to the ones that did?

7. Joshua_strawchildgames

Joshua_strawchildgames

Here's a video showing the process and what's going on. Hopefully I've covered as much detail as I could.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SVUM8Y24wU8Ep-Gwj-aSA-izPpotU9sV

8. jamieniman

jamieniman

Could you try this: make a new animator with just the animation which didnt bake right, and try it with just that. Then make a new animator and place it on that. See if its giving the same results. It will narrow down the bug a little for me.

9. Joshua_strawchildgames

Joshua_strawchildgames

Sure, and just for reference all the animations I baked had this problem.

10. Mozq8

Mozq8

Greetings, I got a problem with Unity 2018.3 .
    Model selected - make guides - nothing happens in wirerframe mode, no dots.

11. Joshua_strawchildgames

Joshua_strawchildgames

So I started with a clean animator, with default settings, and just placed one of the animations in it. Still getting the same results where the last parts of the animation are missing.

12. Cassos

Cassos

How to make an avatar and use it like a normal rigged 3D Object? :(

13. jamieniman

jamieniman

You can use the "Export Skin & Bones" feature (as well as the bake & export animations feature). These allow you to export your Puppet3D rigged character (to a .dae which works the same in Unity as an fbx). After doing this you can work with the animations with the Avatar Humanoid system.

14. jamieniman

jamieniman

Hey Cassos - wondering if you got my last PM?
    What's your email address? Hoping to help resolve the issue your experiencing :)

15. siduslevis_unity

siduslevis_unity

I've been trying to rig a humanoid character and get all the bones ready. I keep on encountering an issue wherein when I try to manually paint weights the painting doesn't reflect (nor affect) in the mesh. I've done this multiple times and have tested it out with multiple models. Is there a way to fix this?

16. jamieniman

jamieniman

Let me rule out a few things to get to the bottom of your issue:
    1. Did your character have any transforms on it or its parent when you rigged it?
    2. When you paint weights - are you painting in the default pose (the same as the mesh collider)?
    3. What version of Puppet3D are you using?

17. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there!

I'm trying to make the auto rig work with mixamo fuse characters. Ican't get this working. Could you give me a Little help with this? It gets a weird rig all over the scene.

Thanks!

18. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Hi, Is possible export the rig with character and joints into Maya? Thanks

19. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yes. You can use the "Export Skin & Bones" button in the skinning tab:
    upload_2019-2-12_13-23-2.png

Just select the gameObject that has the skinnedMeshRenderer component and click this button. It will make a DAE file - this works just like an fbx and can be imported into maya

20. jamieniman

jamieniman

Could you make a video showing the issue your getting?

21. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,
    i was trying to set up everything again to record and now it looks like the guides are correctly placed. I did something wrong for sure. Sorry... :)

Anyway since fuse creates multiple meshes for each character, i've been wondering if the workflow is right. I select all the submeshes i want to rig. Place the guides and click autorig. Then if it is all right, i can select all submeshes again, and click export to create the dae version. And now i can animate or add the animator component and use as usual. Is this correct? Thanks a lot and sorry for the false error.

22. nate_reed

nate_reed

bones look huge compared other objects in scene

23. jamieniman

jamieniman

When you have a mesh collider on the object you want the bones to centre, they will scale sensibly to the object.
    You can change the bone scale afterwards by adjusting the radius in the inspector

24. jamieniman

jamieniman

That sounds right, let me know if you run into any issues. I'm working on an update - which has some fixes for exporing skinned models.

25. sordidlist

sordidlist

Hello! Looking forward to using Puppet3D to rig some models, but I'm running into a weird issue when I try to auto rig.

I made a video and put it on youtube but for whatever reason it formatted it kind of funny so I'm sorry if it's not clear. If you like I can try and get a clearer video or re-upload it:

What happens is, I add the base mesh to the empty scene, try to add the model guides, and then when I auto rig, I get a strange distortion in my mesh. Could you take a look and let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

26. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I was having problems with the rig and detached the rig from the model to use a different skinning algorithm but now I can't retach it. It says that my model needs a mesh render which it has and it continues to try to retach it without giving skinning to the main model.

I have selected the model with the mesh renderder and it's Control group objects (I deleted the clone guides from before)
    I tweaked some things like resetting the prefab changes to the original mesh renderer and then it said that a new mesh asset has been created while the one in my scene remains unchanged so it's not able to apply the skin to my model.

I don't intend to keep the rig anyway since it has FK/IK stuff which likely will get in the way of UMotion's built in ones. If I manually rig it with the bone tools does it come without any extra rigging controls so I can just have a clean basic model which has skinning and no extra controls?

27. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yikes! I haven't seen the mesh mess up before. Are you able to send me the model so I can try it my end? My email is puppet3dunity@gmail.com

28. sordidlist

sordidlist

Sent it, thanks!

29. jamieniman

jamieniman

Select only the gameObject with the meshrenderer and the bones and click "bind smooth skin" (don't select any of the controls)
    You can either just export the skin and bones (see first part of the following video), or just remove the controls, the extra IK/FK bones and all the remaining scripts (see second part of the video):

30. jamieniman

jamieniman

Your mesh exceeds 64000 vertices – until recently Unity used to automatically split them up. You can either split it up first in a separate software – or change the following setting to let Unity do it:

upload_2019-2-26_20-59-23.png

Skin weighting really high resolution meshes can be tough. Fortunately I’ve just made a new transfer weights feature (not yet released). If you make a low resolution model – you can skin this one first, get the weights looking good and transfer them to your high resolution model.

wetcircuit likes this.
  31. gamezuv

gamezuv

Hi all, can you please help me with a major problem ? I am using a humanoid skinned character and adding mod rig to animate. After animation I want to export the animation and use it on another humanoid who has the same bones/avatar as the skinned humanoid used to animate but the baked - exported humanoid animation is really weird.
    Method : I am selecting the global control and calling bake and export animations.
    Result : I get _Baked file that is Generic and I turn it into Humanoid without errors but the animation does not match the mod rigged character animation.

32. jamieniman

jamieniman

In what way doesn't it match the modrigged animation? Is it not working at all - or is it looking different?

33. Defragmenter

Defragmenter

Hello Jamie,
    I have problem with the export skin & bones. It is exporting only the bones without the mesh. Can you tell me if I do something wrong. Here is the video:

34. jamieniman

jamieniman

Could you drag it into the scene and see if it shows up?

35. Defragmenter

Defragmenter

36. jamieniman

jamieniman

37. Defragmenter

Defragmenter

I am in Greece but I am using american english keyboard. But maybe the problem is my models.
    Today I tried a traditional maped and skinned model and it worked and it looks like the export doesn't like my vertex colored models. I can send you one of my models for test if you like.

38. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yes, that would be really handy. My email is puppet3dunity@gmail.com

39. jamieniman

jamieniman

I figured out the issue! Its because you don't have any UVs on the models. Thats where its messing up. If you could just add any sort of UVs to your models everything should work fine :)

40. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Thanks for this great tool! It's the fastest, most user-friendly auto-IK generator for rigged models I've found on the assetstore.
    One thing I've noticed is that when I setup a rigged model with IK's and I duplicate that model, the IK's don't work anymore. Is there a solution for this?
    Thanks.

41. jamieniman

jamieniman

Did you duplicate the global_CTRL with everything underneath it?
    (The global control hold references to all the controls such as the IK controls.)

42. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Yep. I copy everything.
    I also noticed that when I close and reopen the scene the rigs no longer work.

43. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

So, no solution?

44. jamieniman

jamieniman

I haven't been able to reproduce your issue. Are you getting any console errors?
    Is there any way you could package up the broken rig with P3D and send it to me so I can dissect it? (Puppet3DUnity@gmail.com)

45. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

When I copy a modrig rigged model or open the scene, I get the same error :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Puppet3D.IKFKBlend.RunConstrianedControls () (at Assets/Puppet3D/Scripts/Controls/IKFKBlend.cs:88)
    Puppet3D.GlobalControl.Run () (at Assets/Puppet3D/Scripts/Controls/GlobalControl.cs:261)
    Puppet3D.GlobalControl.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Puppet3D/Scripts/Controls/GlobalControl.cs:245)

46. jamieniman

jamieniman

For some reason your IKFKBlend components have lost their reference to the GlobalControl.
    Just checking - have you updated Puppet3D to the latest version? (1.8). Also can you try it out on a newly made Modrig, does it break with a new one?

47. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Updating the version solved it, thanks!

48. montenom

montenom

Can puppet3d rigs be used with finalIK, etc.?

49. jamieniman

jamieniman

You could use Puppet3D to make the bones and skin weights.Then if you export it using the "Export Skin & Bones" feature, you can use it in the same way as you would any skinned character made in another tool (eg blender/maya/max).
    So yes, that would include finalIK

montenom likes this.
  50. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

There's another issue when if the rigged model is scaled up anything other than 1,1,1 and I duplicate it, the hips position changes and it doesn't let you edit it anymore. The rig controls are still there and IK's work but the hip and the body with it shifts upwards.