Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Puppet3D - a professional rigging toolset for Unity.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jamieniman, Feb 28, 2018.

1. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

@jamieniman Hello, I have been looking in the asset store for a good rigging tool and Puppet3D really grabbed my attention.

I plan to use it in my game which isn't really good looking (graphics look like are from 1914) but it heavily relies upon characters interactions for many stuff.

So, I wanted to know if the tool is as simple to use as the blender rigging tools? what about performance? since my game will run on Android. does it need special scripts to be attached to characters and does the output rig need to rotation fixes? (like what blender)

Thanks in advance.

2. thebandolerotuber

thebandolerotuber

my puppet3d window disappeared and it isn't in the window menu anymore. i've tried everything, deleting the package from the project and from the assetstore folder in my pc, and re-downloading and re-importing, but no luck.... any idea on how to solve this? :(

3. Alverik

Alverik

Is Puppet's the only menu from a third party script in your project? Anyway, most editor scripts will not work or have issues if you have a compiler error (scripts adding menus to the top menu included). Make sure there are no red warning in your console, and if you have any of them then you need to fix them before custom menus and windows will work correctly or be refreshed again.

4. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

May the developer reply? because I'm really interested in the asset and will buy it immediately after he answers some of my questions above.

5. jamieniman

jamieniman

Hi,
    I dont really know blender too well so cant really compare (my experience is with maya).
    In terms of performance there are a few runtime scripts on the control rig which arent too heavy cpu wise, but you can bake the animation onto the bones if you need to.

WinterboltGames likes this.
  6. jamieniman

jamieniman

Could you check your console for any errors that dont disappear when you click clear?

7. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Okay, that's fine and what about bones rotation? Will it need manual tweaking or it will work as is with unity coordinate system?

8. jamieniman

jamieniman

Not too sure what kind of manual tweaking you're worried about with the bone rotation - could you show me a visual example of what you're concerned about - I don't want to misunderstand and answer you incorrectly..

9. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

For example if I rigged the body using using Puppet 3d will it be aligned correctly with Unity xyz or might be flipped like xzy

10. ina

ina

Is there a way to disable the GlobalControl at runtime to switch to Unity's animator (and also switch back at runtime)?

11. ina

ina

How do you mix and match biped animations (for unity animator) with Puppet3D? i.e., as a starting animation to change up from. (At runtime)

Just in case Puppet3D does not work with the Animator component... It seems that disabling Puppet3D GlobalControl at runtime - and just manually assigning through script rotation/positions of bones still does not override Puppet3D?

12. ina

ina

I think perhaps they are trying to use LateUpdate to mix and match bones-based animation data (i.e. imported animation with Unity Animator or Animation system)

13. RendCycle

RendCycle

Upon installation, I received these Console Warnings (pls. see attached image). I'm using Unity 2018.1.6. Is this normal? If not, how / when can these be fixed?

I then tried auto-rigging a .Vox model (MagicaVoxel) in 3D view and used Voxel Importer to import the file in Unity. But I found out Puppet3D's auto rig points are messed up and I can't seem to select one to move it as you've done in the tutorial here. I can only move all rig points at the same time.

Edit: I tried NOT resizing the model in Voxel Importer and directly went to auto-rigging using Puppet3D. The rig points somewhat worked and I can now move them. But I have to switch between 2D and 3D view when adjusting the rig points. Now after clicking "Auto Rig" button I've finally generated the bone and can see walking/idle animations. BUT my model's skin is totally messed up and looks torn apart. And so I tried Skinning by following the tutorial here. But after selecting the bones, choosing Num Skin Bones of 2, Skinning: Voxels, ticking "Keep Voxels", and then clicking the button "Bind Smooth Skin", nothing happens. :confused:

Is it better to do the rigging first then resize the 3D model afterwards or should it be done the other way around?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  14. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

I have been waiting for quite a while now I kindly ask the developer to reply so I can buy.

15. jamieniman

jamieniman

It will all be aligned to Unity's xyz. Apologies for the late reply

16. jamieniman

jamieniman

Are you using the modrig? With modrig you can blend back and fort with control and bone animations

17. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Would this work to rig a character made in Adobe fuse? I got this and tried the auto-rig tutorial with a fuse character but couldn't get it working. Should the auto rig steps work with a fuse character or is there something else I need to do?

18. jamieniman

jamieniman

I generally try to keep puppet3d backwards compatible with earlier versions of unity, if there are errors in newer versions i make sure to fix them, but warnings that dont affect functionality can get overlooked.
    Ill need to try out a magicavoxel character to see how it behaves.
    You should try to keep your characters transform reset when creating the rig, (change the import scale to get the size correct) you can also scale it upafter rigging it.

19. jamieniman

jamieniman

What went wrong with the fuse model?

20. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

THANK GOD! You get my 50 bucks now!

awesomedata likes this.
  21. ina

ina

Yes - I'm trying to start from a Mecanim animator animation (at runtime) and apply mod rig modifications on top of that. How might this work for your Puppet3D system

awesomedata likes this.
  22. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Hey there! I sell an asset on the asset store and am currently making a 3d demo for it. Will I be able to bake a complex animations with models using IK and such and strip out scripts so I don't accidentally bundle Puppet 3d with it?

23. jamieniman

jamieniman

Working with modrig:

Option 1:
    Duplicate all the imported mecanim bone animations and keyframe all the blend values to 1.
    Then on your control animations blend them to 0.

upload_2018-8-2_15-4-25.png

Option 2:
    I'm working on an option where you can actually reexport all the animations as baked collada files that will be the same as all the other imported animations - but although the feature is there in the latest v1.6 (Bake & Export Anims), I still need to clean up the process of exporting ModRig animations so they work with the older files - hopefully for the next release,
    upload_2018-8-2_15-27-33.png

24. jamieniman

jamieniman

Yes! So I've just released a new feature in the Animation Tab called "Bake & Export Anims". This bakes all the animation onto the bones and saves out a collada file so its like you made the animations in an external program.
    upload_2018-8-2_15-29-22.png

There is also a skin and bones export button which exports the skinned model with the bones as a collada

nosajtevol likes this.
  25. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Excellent! Thanks very much

26. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

I have a question...

If I have 100 characters using the same rig and same mesh will this impact performance due to P3D scripts?

27. dl290485

dl290485

When I rig a mesh then the mesh collider doesn't follow animations. Is this normal? What are you supposed to do for a collider? (other than having a big stupid box that will register hits in the gaps between their legs or a small box that excludes arms and legs, etc)

Edit: Actually I think I figured what to do. Just starting the test but I put a long cube on the thigh part of the rig and it seems to match the movement

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  28. jamieniman

jamieniman

Unity doesn't have skinned mesh colliders yet -so the way you are doing is best - I recommend capsule colliders as they get closer to the mesh size

29. jamieniman

jamieniman

Depends on the platform - but I would certainly recommend baking the animation onto the bones to improve the performance when working with this many characters

30. ina

ina

I think it would be ideal if you also had an Option 3: start from a "0" animation, and have your system modify the mod rig values from there. It's neat your package supports runtime edits, and usually what's needed is an existing (mecanim) animation needs some tweaking based on character and scene parameters during runtime.

31. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Bake Animations button is broken... it can't create an asset as the console says...

-- EDIT --

Sorry, I found that I was missing the Animation/Baked folder so I created It and everything works great now!

(Why not make the function create the folder itself?)

-- EDIT 2 --

Also, can you please add a shortcuts button to the editor window?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  32. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

How can I create a prefab with a model that has been rigged with puppet 3d?

because whenever I try the console spams an error about a non-referenced script.

33. jamieniman

jamieniman

It's creating the Baked Folder for me. Are you on Windows or Mac? (I havent tested it on Mac)

34. jamieniman

jamieniman

Make sure everything is parented to the Global_CTRL and make a prefab out of that. If that doesn't work could you show me the console error?

35. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Unity_2018-08-07_16-00-44.jpg

36. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

37. jamieniman

jamieniman

I'm not sure how its lost the assignement to a script - is this a repeatable issue for you - or is it specific to particular character thats not working?

38. haskins

haskins

I just auto rigged a 70k tri character I made in Oculus Medium as a test. Looking good!

Attached Files:

39. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

Hi!
    "Create Mod Rig" built two skeletons.
    Blue - work with IK, black - work with animation. Please, explain it to me.

Attached Files:

40. jamieniman

jamieniman

One is the input skeleton allowing the rig to read any pre-made animations. (Such as any mocap anim).
    The one with suffix "_JNT" is the skeleton your character is skinned to. It has blend components that transition it from the input skeleton to the control skeleton. That way you can blend to and from your input animation and control animation.

41. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

Thanks, jamieniman. Great and useful work.

42. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

Hi.
    After installing the asset, messages always appear:

1. Method AutoRigEditor.MakeGuides has invalid parameters. MenuCommand is the only optional supported parameter.
    2. Method CreateControls.CreateParentControl has invalid parameters. MenuCommand is the only optional supported parameter.
    3. Method AutoRigEditor.AutoRig has invalid parameters. MenuCommand is the only optional supported parameter.
    4. Method AutoRigEditor.MakeGuides has invalid parameters. MenuCommand is the only optional supported parameter.

It doesn't affect the app but is always confusing (2018.2.6f1).

43. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Hi, I've had this asset for a little over a month and can't get the auto-rig to work right. I've tried three different characters but all of them get messed up pretty badly.

I double checked to make sure that the both arm and elbows were in the right place, but for some strange reason it does this.

I've made sure that the legs are set up correctly too, but it never seems to do the Auto-rig properly.

I've rigged in Mixamo lots of times and it works OK, but Puppet 3D doesn't seem to like me.
    Every time it is a bit different. A few times I was able to get the legs working decently, but the arms never. I've done both the voxel and easy rig, but both just don't work right.

Any thoughts on why I'm getting these kind of results?

44. jamieniman

jamieniman

Puppet3D's Autorig currently requires the character to be in a T-pose, that will explain the arms. You can actually fix this after rigging, by taking the parent gameobjects of each of the hand ik controls and move and rotate them into a T-pose, then the arms wont cross over.

The other issue is a bug i have occasionally seen which causes the autorig to mess up. Undoing and redoing can fix it, or making a slight guide adjustment if that doesnt work. I have only seen it happen a couple of times, but if you say its happening a lot then i need to bump it up to high priority for fixing.

45. Nadan

Nadan

Hello, just started learning Puppet3D. So I have rigged my character and animated it by moving the controllers.

Now that everything is done, is it possible somehow to export my chacter and the animations I made so I could just add them to my game without the Puppet3D asset in the project? I'm making mobile game so I'm trying to have as less assets/scripts etc. in my game project as possible. It would be awesome if I could use Puppet3D to animate all the stuff and just use the basic animation that Unity has to use them. Is it possible?

There is Bake & Export Anims button in the Animation tab and Export Skin & Bones button in the Skinning tab. I tried to use these and attach the baked animation to my character but it's not moving.

46. Batataglins

Batataglins

This asset just rig in Edit mode or can I rig models at runtime?

47. jamieniman

jamieniman

So those buttons should be what your looking for. You select the skinned model and click export skin & bones. Then you can select the object with the animator and click bake &export anims. Then the exported .dae animations should work on the exported .dae character.
    Did you do this and find it didnt work?

48. jamieniman

jamieniman

At the moment it is designed for edit mode. Its on my todo list to make it work in runtime.

awesomedata likes this.
  49. awesomedata

awesomedata

A runtime version of the voxel autorig functionality would make Puppet3D a solid "must-buy" for nearly anyone imo.

I hope this is a priority. ^__^

50. Nomiii786

Nomiii786

HorseRider,T-Shape.PNG
    Hello,
    I am trying to modify the already rigged character (cow boy riding a horse). But everything seems erupted. Firstly when I click on the 'Create Mod Rig' button it shows all the bones at the right place. What I need my character to do is to punch while he is performing the sprinting animation. For that I need to make the new animation and pose of the character should be as that of it in the sprinting mode. But when I switch my character animation or position from T-Shape into the sprinting mode in the animation window, the skeleton just don't follow the other body parts the when I click on the right hand bone, then only the skeleton bones move but not the body. In short, both character body and skeleton are not synchronized, and I am not able to make any kind of animation. HorseRider,Sprinting.PNG

Attached Files: