Search Unity

[RELEASED] PSD 2 uGUI, now with ATLAS CREATION

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dreamset, Sep 5, 2014.

1. dreamset

dreamset

Hi All,

PSD2uGUI can generate ready to run Unity UI (4.6 Final Release) objects from your PSD using layer naming conventions, and with just one click.
    Watch the video demos and learn how to save tens of hours with this simple, automatic and effective asset software.

FEATURES
    - Export PSD layers to 3 common formats: PSD, PNG and JPEG.
    - Import your layers as 2D Game interface (Sprite system), managing the layer depth.
    - Import your layers as 2D new UI System interface (uGUI). You can automatically create canvas, checkboxes, buttons, scrollbars, sliders, panels, text, text inputs, scrollviews and drag&drop items directly from your PSD.
    - Test your UI without developer helps.

Changes of 1.85v
    - Atlas creation as in 1.8v.
    - When importing as uGUI, the canvas now has a Canvas Scaler component.
    - Thanks to the Canvas Scaler component, the asset doesn’t need to compute coords and sizes that depends on the screen, it will scaled automatically and users can see the UI as is. Important: The main resolution will be the chosen one from Photoshop.
    - Now, an uGUI button can be parsed with no text layer.
    - A GameObject which is parent of an uGUI control, now has a RectTransform.
    - DX Editor Window now has a new button. It allows to set Anchors to Corners of each imported UI ítem (Notice that could be some uGUI controls shouldn’t be change their anchors to work, like scrollbars or sliders).

See changelog for more info.

NEW ATLAS CREATION FEATURE.

You can take a look what PSD2uGUI can do for you by downloading the attached PDF file to this thread.
    In addition, you can also check the video demos. I will update this thread adding advanced videos about how to benefit all software features.

As promised, more videos has been added.
    New UI button example:

New UI Scrollbar example:

New UI Drag and Drop example:

New UI Scrollview example:

New UI Automatic Border creation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXFe5NX0hZw

Basic UI:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ximh20DHW_U

Purchase

I will look forward to seeing your posts.

Regards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    shortlin likes this.
  2. freudibili42

freudibili42

And optimization? You can't automatically generate atlases when you import the scene ?

3. dreamset

dreamset

Hi freudibili42,
    Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late response.

As far as I know, Unity Engine is able to automatically manage Atlases with SpritePacker unity pro tool.
    This tool allows to create an atlas where each sprite that build it has the same tag.

In the next version I want to submit, PSD2uGUI will be able to assign "PSD2uGUI" tag to each graphic asset imported and, will check if PSD2uGUI atlas exists (by using SpritePacker) and will use it to assign the images to each game objects, if able. It will use base method otherwise.

In a further version I could consider automatic atlas creation with this software.

Regards.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  4. dreamset

dreamset

Hi all, 1.02 version has been released.
    Enjoy.

PD: 1.03 with sprite tags for atlases is comming soon (testing).

5. Camtrack

Camtrack

It looks really easy on the videos , could this allow the graphic designers to test by themselves their designs ¿?

6. dreamset

dreamset

Hi Camtrack and thanks for posting here.

It is as easy as it looks. Just after design time, rename your layersets, sort sublayers as described in the user guide, export from Photoshop using the script provided, Import to Unity using PSD2uGUI asset and enjoy your work in unity.

It really worth the time saved.

Regards.

7. MehranUK

MehranUK

I watched the videos, look awesome! Thanks for the creative work. I definitely recommend buying this valuable asset.

8. dreamset

dreamset

Hi MehranTM,

Thank you very match for your reply.
    We are really glad you liked it and we would appreciate if you rate our work, it takes a few seconds and help us to keep supporting this software.

Thanks for all.

9. dreamset

dreamset

Hi all,

A new version was submitted a few days ago, so we spect is accepted soon, so freudibili42, you could be interested on.

The changelog is:
    - Version updated to 1.04.
    - Now the software assigns tags to each imported image in order to allow atlas creation (it could require Unity Pro license).
    - Now, from Photoshop software tool, you can define borders (see changes in the user guide document for more accurate detail).
    - Load optimization and minor bugfixes.

I will update this thread when released.

Regards.

10. DevRookie

DevRookie

Purchased it just to give it a try. It worked and saved me tons of time, cause I can even test my own designs over the Unity plattform. And it´s very easy to use, dude, that´s what I was looking for. Awesome job, Dreamset.

Question: As Unity 5.0 is about to be released...will this tool fully work with it?

Cheers

11. freudibili42

freudibili42

Hi dreamset,

Thank you for your reply. I'll try this new version as soon as possible.

12. dreamset

dreamset

Hi DevRookie, and sorry for my late reply.

Thanks for thy trust. It helps to keep the software updated.
    Regarding your question, I would say that it depends on Unity3D team. I suppose, and as far as I know, if they have released the new Unity UI system for 4.6, I see obvious they will give support for it in further versions, so don't worry, use it and enjoy PSD2uGUI.

Hi freudibili42,

I hope Unity team had time to review the update and upload it as soon as possible. It has some bug fixes allowing ScrollView creations with other sub elements instead of buttons, I have uploaded two new videos showing how to create borders, and how to create ScrollViews with drag&drop items.

Thanks for all.

13. NuriaDev

NuriaDev

Hi,

Taking a look, and searching for an asset that can helps me, finally I found yours.
    But I'm not sure yet, I would like to make a question:

Is your asset able to set game object tags?

Thanks in advance.

14. dreamset

dreamset

Hi NuriaDev,

I'm not sure what behaviour are you looking for.
    In the next version, that will be released soon, the asset will be able to assign tags to the images imported in order to be able to create atlas later.

Thanks.

15. MiguelAngelLazaro

MiguelAngelLazaro

Hello!

I had been looking for a tool like this for a lot of time.

Does anybody know when version 1.04 will be released?

Thank you.

16. NuriaDev

NuriaDev

Hi Dreamset,

I read this software will manage tags for every image imported in order to create atlas later.
    But I want to know if this software allows to set tags by gameObject, for example, by setting :tag="tagName" or something like that.

Thank you.

17. NuriaDev

NuriaDev

Any response, Dreamset?

18. dreamset

dreamset

Hi NuriaDev,

Sorry for my late response.
    I had not understood your question.
    Currently, it doesn't recognize this variable to set tags by item, but I consider it as a must have in the asset, so I will add it to the next version once 1.04 is released.

Regarding to the new version, MiguelAngelLazaro, it depends on the time it takes to the unity team to test and publish the asset. I onlu can tell you I submitted the package the last friday, so count approximately a week (probably more) from this day.

Thanks both for being interested.

Regards.

19. NuriaDev

NuriaDev

Hi dreamset,

Purchased! And waiting for your 1.04 further version.

Cheers.

20. dreamset

dreamset

Hi NuriaDev,

Thanks for your support.
    I hope new version is released very soon.

Cheers.

21. dreamset

dreamset

Hi All,

I have updated the first post regarding a known issue with the last beta release of Unity Engine (4.6 b20) and possible solutions.

I hope you find it of your interest.
    Regards.

22. dreamset

dreamset

Hi,

I'm proud to announce 1.04 version of PSD 2 uGUI has been released.
    Don't forget to review the first post.

Enjoy.

23. freudibili42

freudibili42

Hi,

The 1.04 version is really good. Nice Update.
    My only small problem is for big projects .
    It would be nice if we could choose where to export our export's files and the tag of the atlas for unity . In the import if we could choose different folder :).

It's the only thing I can say because otherwise it's a perfect tool for me .

24. dreamset

dreamset

Hi,

Choose where to export is very useful and it will be available in the next update.
    Choosing the atlas tag seems to be not easy since this operation is performed at import time. Do you mean you would like to use your target folder name (from first suggestion) as atlas tag? If I'm right it could be easier.
    In addition, as NuriaDev suggested, PSD desginers will be able to assign UI item tags by using a new variable and name convention.

So, stay tuned, the next 1.05 (or even 1.06) version is coming.

Regards.

25. freudibili42

freudibili42

Hi dreamset,

You answer really fast.

I'm not sur that assign UI item tags by using a new variable and name convention in Photoshop is optimal. Indeed, it is easier to put a tag on all items in unity as renaming all in photoshop. On the contrary, target folder name might be a really good idea.

Regards

26. dreamset

dreamset

Hi freudibili42,

The software will be able to assign tags by game object using new variable and name convention. It is useful for operations where we need to find objects by tag, as NuriaDev (and probably others) seems to need.
    For atlas tag, I think assign tag using the target folder name is the best and fastest way to solve it but you will only be able to choose your target folder name but not the entire path, so exported files and new folder will always be created on PSD location. If not folder name is given, then by PSDuGUI by default folder will be used.

Regards.

27. freudibili42

freudibili42

Oh sorry,

I do not explain well (sorry for my English ) i agree with you. I say that only for atlas tags.

Regards

28. dreamset

dreamset

Don't worry,

I'm not english native ^^, so probably I am who misunderstood your suggestion.
    Anyway, I would appreciate your asset store 5 stars so much! Haha.

Regards.

29. dreamset

dreamset

Hi All,

New version has been released and its available from Asset Store.

1.07v includes:
    - Now, you can choose the folder to export directly from PSD, using layer name conventions. You can also create more than one folders at the same time. See sample.psd to know how to.
    - Now, you can assign more than one atlas tag. The tag assigned will be the name of the folder where the file is placed. Keep your files sorted and well tagged now.
    - Now, following the same layer naming conventions, you can assign tags by game object. Your objects will be easier to be found. (Be aware the tags must be defined in Unity before, using the tag editor).
    - Sample PSD has been updated supporting the new features.
    - Updated User Guide doc supporting the new features.
    - Minor bugfixes.

Regards.

30. dreamset

dreamset

Hi All,

Unity Staff has been submitted the new version of this asset.

1.08v includes:
    - b21+ Compatible.
    - Bug fixes: Now, you can build your Unity project to your target platform.

RC1 compatible version is about to be released.

Enjoy!

31. dreamset

dreamset

Hi All,

The 1.09 version has been released. It has some minor bug fixes and compatible with 4.6 RC2.

Enjoy!

32. scoobydoobydoo

scoobydoobydoo

Hi,

We are using GIMP and not Photoshop for image editing. GIMP exports PSD. Do you know if
    PSD 2 uGUI is compatable with GIMP PSD files?

33. dreamset

dreamset

Hi scoobydoobydoo,

if GIMP is able to export layer names and write them to the PSD file (I'm almost sure it can) then, it will work. Just use GIMP as usually but don't forget to name the layers properly from GIMP. Only when you have named the layers you will be ready to export to PSD and use Photoshop to export every thing Unity asset needs.

I know it's worse like using Photoshop as main Image editing tool. I could consider some script automation for gimp.

Regards.

34. dreamset

dreamset

Hi scoobydoobydoo,

Unfortunately I have bad news about GIMP compatibility.
    GIMP can read a PSD file created from Photoshop even with layer groups, but, when exporting from GIMP to PSD, it merges every layer group into one combined layer.

The most powerfull feature of PSD 2 uGUI is to use the layer groups naming conventions to create ready to run game objects in Unity.
    However, layer groups feature has been added to GIMP since 2.8, I'm thinking about how can I help GIMP users.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
    Regards.

35. dreamset

dreamset

Hi All,

I'm proud to annouce the last version of PSD 2 uGUI.
    v1.1 is fully compatible with Unity 4.6 final release and it's well packed for use out of the box.
    It also solves a little bug.

Enjoy!

36. NikolaiS

NikolaiS

Hi Dreamset,

Just purchased your plugin and would like to give it a try. I successfully exported png files from my psd. However, I'm having an issue with importing them into Unity. There is no "Interface" menu item on the Unity menu.

Tried different approaches to make Unity to import the plugin:
    - imported the plugin into an empty Unity project
    - restarted Unity just to make sure it will load new scripts
    - moved plugin's scripts, dll and mdb files into a subfolder in Assets\Editor.

Looks like Unity refuses to add "Interface" menu item to the menu bar. Here is a screenshot: http://gyazo.com/3673cb5210c1e245a630232247579626

BTW, there is PSD2uGUI entry in Component/Scripts editor menu. So Unity successfully loaded the scripts. I would assume there is something wrong with the dll library.

My Unity version is 4.6.1f1

Any thoughts?

37. dreamset

dreamset

Hi NikolaiS,

As you mention, it could be a problem with the dll due to a new release of Unity 4.6.1 f1. I need to go back to home, (I'm at work now), and review the scripts in order to see what's wrong.

As soon as I solve the issue, I will send you a new DLL.

Please, be patient meanwhile.

Regards.

38. dreamset

dreamset

Hi All,

I have solved the issue. It seems each new release of Unity Engine changes the path of UnityEngine.UI.dll and UnityEditor.UI.dll since UI feature comes as extern module. (The path was 4.6.0 folder and now is 4.6.1 folder :S).

I have sent this new version so I hope it is released soon.

For NikolaiS contact me in order to send you the new DLL and avoid wating for asset store update.

Regards.

39. NikolaiS

NikolaiS

Thanks for the update. However, it may be not necessary. I was misguided by the pdf included in the package, thought that "Interface" menu item should appear in the menu bar. However, it resides in the bottom of "Edit" menu.

Tried to import my sprites and found some bugs. It would be great if you could fix the following:

- I had to place exported images to Assets/UI folder so the script could import them (yes, you say in the pdf that the psd for export should be in Assets folder but do not mention that another folder will not work). My folder structure differs from what you may be used to, so I had to look into *.cs files of the package before I understood why script refuses to import my images. There was no error message, the script just created objects (MainCamera, Canvas, EventSystem) without nested sprites.
    I assume it would be correct to ask user to select the folder where exported images are located.

- The script incorrectly imports images that have underscore in their name. E.g. "bkg_menu.jpg" is imported as an empty "menu" object. The name of the exported image is correct in psdDigest.txt, so there is an error in the import script. If I change the name of the image to "bkgmenu.jpg" and edit the corresponding entry in psdDigest.txt, then this image is correctly imported.
    I believe this is due "_" is used as a token separator. However it would be cool if the plugin could import files with names as "[TOKENname_]long_file_name my.image #2[:var=val].png" and distinct between a token separator and a usual underscore.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  40. dreamset

dreamset

Hi NikolaiS,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regarding to the first issue, As far as I know, If we want Unity to detect and import the images, they must be under asset folder. Other folders are out of the scope. In any case, I understand you would like to choose your own folder under Asset folder, if I'm right, you should know if I choose to a general UI folder under Asset folder is due to PSD2uGUI needs, at import time (not at compiling time or at plugin execution time), what assets comes from PSD2uGUI and should be used to create the UI with layer naming conventions. So images must be imported.
    In addition, remember with PSD2uGUI you can choose the folder (with the layer naming conventions), under Assets/UI of your own, and the name of this folder will be used as tag name for atlas. You can see it at AssetPreprocessor.cs script.
    The underlying idea of PSD2uGUI is to be the simplest way to build ready to run UI as fast and easy as possible, so it's not an issue, it's just work like it should. The faster and easy to use, the the fewer set up options there will be.

Can I suppress Assets/UI folder detection and make import operations to any image asset found under Asset folder? Yes I can, Is this a good idea? It could happen someone doesn't want to change the image border or assign a default tag, but I think it is a minor collateral damage, so I'll do the next:

As PSD2uGUI photoshop script can export to any folder using layer naming conventions, if the target folder is detected, it will export into this destination. If no target folder is detected, it will export to a by default folder, in order to avoid image collision with another existing images under Asset folder. The name of this by default folder will be PSD2uGUI.

For the second issue:
    Layer naming conventions must be used only with layer sets/groups. Obviously, if it is trying to parse a layer as a layer set is a bug and I already have seen why it happens.

I'll post a message here when it is ready.

Regards.

41. NikolaiS

NikolaiS

Hi dreamset,

Thanks for the response.

The first one is a minor issue, I can easily move imported images to another folder after script execution. I am just used to FastGUI for NGUI workflow and was surprised that there could be a restriction on the path images are imported from.

Yeah, it would be cool to have the second issue fixed. It is nice to meet a good level of support :)

42. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,
    Does it works in runtime (in game)?

43. dreamset

dreamset

Hi ZJP,

Yes it does.
    Since it is an Editor Window tool, It has a button that can be pressed when engine is up (in game) and it works. The asset comes with an EditorWindow.cs script with the required public functions and methods calls that you can use (copy and paste) on your project.

Regards.

44. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks for the reply.

45. dreamset

dreamset

Hi All,

After a short but very good holidays, I have updated PSD2uGUI to 1.2v.
    It comes with the changes posted answering NikolaiS:

1.2v
    - PSD2uGUI won’t create UI folder any more. Developer can control the output folder using layer naming conventions as usually. If no folder is targeted, by default PSD2uGUI folder will be used in order to avoid file name collisions with previous files of other sources.
    - Changed the method to parse the layer names. Now underscore symbol can be used in image layers.
    - User guide has been updated fixing issues.

It has been submitted to unity staff, so I hope it is ready as soon as possible.

Regards and Happy New Year.

46. DFG

DFG

Hi,

We purchased the PSD to UGUI plugin and PSD to ugui does not import texture files properly.

It resizes textures in strange way - items are distorted - they get stretched so that it fits aspect ration we use. Did we miss an import setting?

We will be using UGUI.

Thanks!

47. Shane-C

Shane-C

PSD2uGUI isn't working in the Unity5 beta. The DLL fails to load due to the use of deprecated code (Or so says the editor when I attempt to import it).

48. dreamset

dreamset

Hi All,

Sorry for my delay.

DFG, This thread is for PSD2uGUI, that works much better. I don't own PSD to uGUI so I can't solve your problem.
    If I were you, I would try with PSD2uGUI.

Shane C, I'll review what is wrong with Unity 5 beta, please, stay tuned.

Regards.

49. cybervaldez

cybervaldez

Hi please add for photoshop script:
    1. Resolutions for Portrait modes (All currently are in landscapes only)
    2. Default (No Resize)

50. dreamset

dreamset

Hi cybervaldez:

Would you like something like this?:

With Custom you can choose your target resolution and the first value shown, as default, is always the main resolution of your document. I could add more fields for portraits resolutions if you find it better...

I'm doing some changes in addition to the related.
    - Photoshop script can export only the exchange file.
    - Exchange format file has been changed from ".txt" to ".toParse". It is still plain text.
    - Now, Unity plugin can parse all ".toParse" files under asset folder and import all of them as ready to run uGUI.
    - Unity 5 Beta support.

If I have enough time, I would like to include:
    - Advance tab: If you have an old PSD file with no layer naming conventions, or even having a PSD file adapted for PSD2uGUI, you can map layers to uGUI controls from Unity plugin editor window.

I'm looking forward to hearing your answers.

Regards.

Attached Files:

cybervaldez and Shane-C like this.