Search Unity

[RELEASED] psai® Interactive Music Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Periscope Studio, Nov 13, 2014.

1. ponx

ponx

Hi gevarre, this might be related to Unity spawning a 2nd EventSystem automatically. Is the Scene in Psai/Demos/PsaiPlayer working correctly? If your problem persists, please contact us at devsupport@homeofpsai.com
    thanks and cheers, andy

2. gevarre

gevarre

Thanks for the tip. After looking at it more, I figured out that if I just drag the Psai prefab into a scene and hook it up, no EventSystem is created at all at runtime. If I copy the EventSystem from the demo into my scene, then it all works fine.

3. gevarre

gevarre

Okay, so I have a single theme with 1 group that contains several segments that are set up to randomly switch between themselves and never end. There is 0 prebeat or postbeat since these are seamless loops. At runtime a few of these segments play and then it suddenly stops and gives the following error message:

Code (CSharp):
    1. PSAI [546][WARNING]: playback timing problem detected! Missing milliseconds: 352
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    3. psai.net.LoggerOutputUnity:WriteLog(String, LogLevel) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/LoggerOutputUnity.cs:33)
    4. psai.net.Logger:WriteToLoggerOutputs(String, LogLevel) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/Logger.cs:199)
    5. psai.net.Logger:Log(String, LogLevel) (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/Logger.cs:179)
    6. psai.net.<LoadSegmentAsync_Coroutine>c__Iterator1E:MoveNext() (at Assets/Psai/Psai/src/AudioPlaybackLayerChannelUnity.cs:87)
    7. UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)
    I've checked all the settings for all the segments and can't find anything wrong. What does this error message actually mean?

Again, Unity 5.4.0b21

4. ponx

ponx

hi gevarre!
    The message means that psai did not have enough time to load and play the next dynamic Segment at runtime, and in this case was 352 ms late, when it was finally ready to play. This is usually caused by the corresponding audio file not being loaded quickly enough on your current target platform, or respectively by the audio system taking too long for playing back the preloaded audio data. For both of these factors you can raise the values in the PsaiCoreManager component of your Psai.prefab. The default is 100ms and 50ms, try 250 and 150.
    352 sounds rather high though, and i think the reason for this might be bugs introduced by Unity in 5.3.5p6 (see my posting from 3 days ago). 5.4.0 b21 might also suffer from these changes. We are waiting for a response from Unity, so until then we recommend using psai with a more stable Unity version. 5.3.4 and 5.3.5f1 should run fine! cheers, andy

5. gevarre

gevarre

Thanks. I figured it was probably something to do with the Unity beta bugs. Just wanted to know what the actual message meant so I could start tracking it down. Unfortunately, 5.4 is necessary for the VR work I'm doing, so I too will just have to hope that they fix things on their end. That's the fun of working with beta software :)

6. ponx

ponx

dear users, the latest Unity release 5.4.0f3 seems to have solved the issues related to streaming audio clips that had been indroduced in Unity 5.3.5p6. And, as you already might have been notified by the Asset Store mailer, psai 1.7.3 has been released today with loads of fixes and improvements:

2016-08-01 1.7.3
    * added checkbox in PsaiCoreManager to keep the psai instance between Scenes
    * fixed timing problems in case of high latencies / loading times
    * fixed problem of occasionally skipped Segments when starting from rest / silence
    * fixed nulled out soundtrack file in PsaiSoundtrackLoader Inspector
    * fixed psai Editor LE: Selection of AudioClips was only working if the soundtrack was residing in Assets/Resources
    * fixed an issue that could result in wrong playback timing for large audio clips
    * fixed Couroutine handling
    * fixed wrong wake up from rest after StopMusic() had been called
    * changed: calling StopMusic when the music was already fading will override the original fade rather than ignoring the second fade
    * fixed PsaiCoreManager not setting its master volume on Start()

Cheers, your psai development team

mcmorry likes this.
  7. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

Hello,

I purchased Psai during its introductory discount promotion, and now I'm looking at integrating it into my current Unity project. I've searched through your various FAQ and other posts, and couldn't find any mention of .mod support within Unity for using Psai.

Is this something that Psai can still work with?

Thanks!

8. ponx

ponx

Hi, thanks for purchasing psai! Sorry, psai is based on pre-recorded audio files in pcm / wav format, and currently does not support the playback of .mod files.
    best greetings, andy

9. ScruffyNinja

ScruffyNinja

Hi

Firstly I'm posting here because I got a couldn't be delivered bounce back when I tried emailing info@periscopestudio.de

I'm interested in the product but work exclusively on the Mac and want the standalone Editor so I can compose my own music — is there still an issue with the version for Mac and if so, do you have some idea of when a Mac version will be available?

Cheers.

10. ponx

ponx

Hi ZenZero, thanks for your interest in psai, and sorry about info@periscopestudio.de being temporarily unreachable, we are checking the issue! In case you have further questions feel free to alternatively contact us at info@homeofpsai.com .
    Regarding the Mac version - i'm sorry to say that we still currently have no resources to provide support for both platforms, so we have to stick to the Windows version. We hope to come up with a fully featured psai Editor integrated into the Unity Editor one day, but i cannot make any estimations on when the work on that will start.
    best greetings and thanks again, andy / ponx

11. mcmorry

mcmorry

I also work on Mac and I use a virtual machine for this. It works very well on Parallel Desktop but should work also on Virtual Box that is free. You'd need only a Windows licence.

12. Shturmovik

Shturmovik

Is there an easy way to include psai's current state when saving and restoring a game? Not monumentally important, but I thought it would be a nice touch to have the scene music continue exactly as it was when the game was saved instead of just triggering the same theme from the start.

13. ponx

ponx

hi Shturmovik, i'm sorry, but this is currently not supported. Thanks for the suggestion, we'll add it to the wishlist!

14. Shturmovik

Shturmovik

NeatWolf and mcmorry like this.
  15. CameronReynolds

CameronReynolds

Hi PSAI people.

I'm loving it and just blown away by the clever thinking gone into it.

Is there anyway to make the segment tails play over the next segment to create seamless reverb tails?

Cheers.

Cam.

16. ponx

ponx

Hi Cam, thanks alot for your kind words, we're happy you like it! And yes, the segment tails (that's the "postbeat region" in psai) will always automatically play over the following segment to make sure the transitions are seamless. Just mark the reverb tail as the postbeat region in the psai Editor. A postbeat-region can be as long as you wish, so we encourage you to record the full reverb tails whenever it's possible (e.g. when using multitrack recording / sequencing software). Cheers and let us know if any problems arise! andy / ponx

17. CameronReynolds

CameronReynolds

Genius.

OK - I had experimented with this and found it not was not doing what I wanted. This was obviously me doing something wrong. I will have another go and let you know if I have any problems.

Cheers.

18. CameronReynolds

CameronReynolds

Hi there ponx.

I see the problem now - it is completely obvious. I was putting 1000 into the Postbeat Length because I was thinking in milliseconds not samples. Not reading what is right in front of me.

The pre and postbeat lengths being in samples I personally find a bit annoying. Would it be possible to have a ms option instead/as well?

Otherwise - brilliant.

Cheers.

19. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there :)

I'm considering to purchase Psai, but, I see that latest update dates back to about 1 year ago (1.7.3 Aug 03, 2016).

Is this asset going to receive support or updates in the near future?

Regards,
    Alessandro

20. ponx

ponx

Hi Alessandro! Thanks for your interest in psai! To be honest, the sale rates in the audio segment are not allowing us to keep pushing forward the development currently. However psai has matured over several years, and it's working very well. The engine itself is free for download, so i recommend to just try it out and see if it meets your expectations. The Editor has been in development for several years, too, and is considered feature complete. We'd be happy if you gave it a try! :)
    Cheers, andy

21. mwituni

mwituni

I don't believe PSAI is working in Unity 2017.x, as I'm upgrading and getting PSAI errors.
    Can you confirm it works?
    Else please push an update - many customers will be upgrading.

22. ponx

ponx

hi mwituni, thanks for the info! I will try to look into it until the end of the next week and post a reply in this thread on when to expect an update.

mwituni likes this.
  23. ponx

ponx

Hi again Mwituni,
    I can confirm psai works fine on Unity 2017.1.0f3!
    What you see during import of the psai package are a couple of warnings related to Unity API calls used in the Rollerball Demo, but you can safely ignore them. We try to keep things backwards compatible without touching the original Unity Classes, so hopefully it doesn't cause too much confusion. There were also four warnings related to unused Events caused by our shared code between the psai Editor and the psai Unity API, I just fixed that. It's equally harmless, but maybe confusing, so thanks alot for your feedback.

Best greetings, andy

mwituni likes this.
  24. mwituni

mwituni

Great thanks, are you going to post an update as "compatible" with 2017.1.0f3?

If not, can you post the changes so others can make them.

25. ponx

ponx

sure, the lines affected are in Psai/Editor/EditorModel/EditorModel.cs , starting from Line 117.
    The following four Events defined there are only needed when we build the Psai Standalone Editor. They are not needed when compiling the Psai Unity Editor Extension, so you can safely delete them. I put the in compile tags, so our original code now looks like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. ...
    3. #if (PSAI_EDITOR_STANDALONE)
    4.         [field: NonSerializedAttribute()]
    5.         public event EventHandler<EventArgs_ProgressBarStart> EventProgressBarStart;
    6.         [field: NonSerializedAttribute()]
    7.         public event EventHandler<EventArgs_ProgressBarUpdate> EventProgressBarUpdate;
    8.         [field: NonSerializedAttribute()]
    9.         public event EventHandler<EventArgs_AuditOrExportResult> EventAuditCompleted;
    10.         [field: NonSerializedAttribute()]
    11.         public event EventHandler<EventArgs_AuditOrExportResult> EventExportCompleted;
    12. #endif
    13. ...
    cheers, andy

mwituni likes this.
  26. blacksun666

blacksun666

Is there a way to drive this tool via Unity's timeline?

27. ponx

ponx

Hi blacksun! we don't support the timelime, as psai adapts the music dynamically at runtime, so the audio segments are chosen on-the-fly in relation to the current gameplay intensity (set by a simple float value between 0 and 1). Cheers, andy

28. blacksun666

blacksun666

I presume the float is a public variable so it should be possible to control it via timeline? I was thinking as the timeline object progresses it could alter the intensity rather than get the timeline to play multiple audio clips and try fade between them?

29. ponx

ponx

hi Blacksun, you can update psai's playback Intensity by calling Psai::TriggerMusicTheme(int themeId, float intensity) (repeatedly) so i guess this should work out fine. Feel free to try and download the psai Music Engine from the Unity Asset Store, it's free! We only charge you for the Editor. Hope that helps, cheers! andy

30. HakJak

HakJak

Wow, this asset looks and sounds great! That rollerball demo was convincing :)

I'll be using a different plug-in for general audio, but I've been searching for the best adaptive music solution.

Audio is a new area for me. How does this compare to FMOD and other adaptive music solutions? Especially concerning ease-of-use, learning curve and efficiency for a solo dev like me. I started doing research but I'm sure an audiophile like yourself can enlighten me much faster! Please share ;)

EDIT: also, will this work on consoles, like PS4, Xbox One and Switch?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  31. ponx

ponx

Hi HakJak, thanks, we're happy you like it :) FMOD is a complete audio solution, psai is just concentrating on adaptive music. We tried to keep it as simple to use as possible, so just give it a try, you can download the engine and some music themes for free. We'll just charge for the psai Editor (psai Music engine Pro).
    We haven't tried it for consoles yet, but as we are just using the public Unity API and no native code, psai should work on every platform.
    best greetings, andy

HakJak likes this.
  32. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Hi,
    Could you confirm if Psai is under active development? I'm purchased a while ago for a small project but now considering it for a larger project but I don't want to rely on it if it's going to disappear. I'm getting import errors in Unity 2017.2.0f3.

33. blacksun666

blacksun666

as the domain name is unknown now, where can you get the standalone editor?

34. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Also:
    They have a Facebook page and Youtube channel, you may want to give them a try:

https://www.facebook.com/homeofpsai/

https://www.youtube.com/user/PeriscopeStudio/about

Periscope studio. There's even a telephone number. The website of the company is down as well. (http://www.periscopestudio.de/)
    https://www.facebook.com/periscopestudiohamburg

Maybe they changed their company name?

using "https://www.facebook.com/periscopestudiohamburg"
    Facebook says they usually reply within a day.
    I'm positive they could address your questions or get back here to post a link.

Please let us know! ;)

35. blacksun666

blacksun666

Just like to add, the developers responded within an hour via their facebook page and sent me the latest standalone editor. Good to see they are still supporting it albeit via facebook rather than a website.

NeatWolf likes this.
  36. DavidJares

DavidJares

lol. I d like to add that the developers didnt reply to me in a week when I contacted them twice. I give up on them. bye