Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Procedural Planets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by imphenzia, Nov 9, 2017.

1. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi, well, Substances aren't really working that well in Unity 2018.x. The plugin is still in beta, lacks features and I don't get much response from Allegorithmic (e.g. https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=27343.0) Not sure how it will affect things that Adobe now bought Allegorithmic either, but considering the Substance plugin has been in beta for over a year I am somewhat skeptical at the progress =( I will keep trying though.

2. hurleybird

hurleybird

3. Spacefoux

Spacefoux

Hi. Can anyone confirm if this is still working with earlier version of unity 2017? I would like to purchase it if it still working

4. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi Spacefoux,

Yup I'm using it in Unity 2017.3.0f3 and it works fine. If you need to use a newer version of Unity though you can bake the planets textures and import them as assets. You just won't have access to updating the materials in detail.

Cheers,
    -Todd

5. ReniTheGhost

ReniTheGhost

Hello
    If i want to use it with unity 2018, i need to bake the textures in earlier version right ? Usually how much space needed for a good quality texture ?
    The planet shader works with 2018 legacy render pipeline or it has a support for ldrp and hdrp ?

6. imphenzia

imphenzia

Thanks for helping out while I was long term AFK =)

Yes, I have sadly not yet not been able to add 2018.x support. The Allegorithmic substance asset is still in beta (16 months later) and every time I revisit it, it has been too unstable and lacking the necessary API calls to get the planets to run properly. Very frustrating as I released this asset the same week that native support for procedural materials were deprecated =( I've been in touch with both Unity and Allegorithmic about this, via mail, forum, and also at Unite events - but future seems uncertain which is frustrating.

Baked planets take up quite a bit of space if you want max resolution. If you set all to 2048x2048 textures there are about 5-6 of them depending on what shader features are enabled (like clouds, night lights etc). If you can settle for lower resolutions it would take up less space. But at max resolution it can run up to 50 MB per planet if I'm not mistaken on top of my mind. Then for each step down in texture resolution you can divide the size by 4 for each step... roughly.

I have not looked at LDRP or HDRP yet as that's been in preview and since it's not even running in 2018 I feel I should prioritize just getting them to work as intended first. Apologies for the lack of progress here. Like I said, very frustrating to me as I put 2 years into making these planets on and off =(

7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

8. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

When can be expect the update? It was a really expensive asset to buy and so far it's worth very little!

hopeful likes this.
  9. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi All,

For those interested I was able to get planets baked in 2017.x imported into Unity 2019.3.0a8. It did require updating a couple of scrips to allow the localstar to work with the shader. These changes also allow the poles of planets to be rendered correctly.

Below is an example of the results.

2019.JPG

If you've used the baked planets before you'd know you have access to a few sliders and colours to manipulate how the planet looks. Like cities, atmosphere. liquid colour etc.

Cheers,
    -Todd

10. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

What changes did you had to make for the local star to work in 2019?

11. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi ZoltanBorbas,

I won't paste any specific code changes here but the main thing you want to is to remove any scripts that are used for the procedural generation. These are the scripts that have dependencies Algorithmic substances. You need to keep the static variants of each blueprint. The only exception to that is the ProceduralOctahedron script. You'll need that for the baked planets also.

Other scripts you'll need to keep are Singleton, Util, PlanetManager, SimpleJSON and of course LocalStar. All other scripts you should be able to remove.

From memory you'll be left with some compile errors in PlanetManager but you should be able to comment those lines out and it should compile.

The end result should allow you to generate the procedural planets in Unity 2017. Bake them and then import the asset into Unity 2018/2019.

Cheers,
    -Todd

12. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

Hi! what about extracting surface texture in to to 6 sided images. For terrain base heights as a references processes ? Probably 3x6 images 1 surface,1 water level, 1lava

13. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @sekever-n00b,

You might have to wait for @imphenzia to look at your request. In the meantime have your checked out the PNG images from the baked planets to see if they suit your needs?

Cheers,

-Todd

14. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

Hi, its more of an cloud"idea than a request. I checked those materials and I know how to tile them in Blender on sphere but to position them exact as in here i need more luck and maybe more time, but most of all Im to lazy to even start a scratch

15. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi Sekever,

I don't think the texture maps output by the planet generator would by default work wrapping around a sphere. I believe @imphenzia uses triplanar mapping in order to eliminate stretching around the poles. In order to tile them directly in blender I believe you'd need to do some heavy manipulation to the textures in order to remove stretching and pinching at the poles.

Cheers,
    -Todd

16. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

Ups
    Let's say Substance has came (probably will in 2022) so im not in a rush, I cant put this planets in the sky with Enviro asset because Directional light are standards in use (from terrain prospective methode). Is there something in shaders that can be changed? thx

17. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @sekever-n00b,

I'm sorry but I'm not 100% sure what you're saying. I'll make a couple of assumptions though.

As you have suggested the procedural planets don't use native unity lights. They use their own custom light source. This makes sense to me from a celestial perspective as if you wanted to render a star system a directional light would render the lighting on planets incorrectly in respect the the 'star' in the star system.

If i understand your problem correctly you're wanting to view a planet/moon as if it's being viewed from the ground so you'd expect the light to come from a specific direction and if you wanted to incorporate a time of day cycle this would never update.

The simplest way around this would be to animate the movement and the strength of the planetary light source to be timed with your day/night cycle. As you want to update your day night cycle time you'd just need to remember to change the animation key frames to match. You could also make the planet a child of the ground object and offset the pivot point and animate it rotating around the ground also to work nicely with the day/night cycle.

In regards to changing the shader I have no idea. I'm not a shader guy so can't help you there I'm sorry.

Hopefully that helps you out?

Cheers,
    -Todd

18. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

@SelfAvenger
    Look, thank you for trying to help. Ist a great asset maybe the best, but it also could not be for me at the end. To say long story short, unity's standard light is the light for space and time or there is no light in unity at all. Now im gona have to experiment with this shaders the way as the complet noob shader d0es

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  19. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

@sekever-n00b,

You're welcome. Happy to try and help. Sorry If my suggestion didn't make sense. What i'm suggesting is that you have both the directional light in the scene and the LocalStar light source. You can animate the position and properties of the 2 lights together so it looks as though the light coming from the directional light is also impacting the planets. To give you an example below is a video I quickly did up in around 5 minutes.

Is this what you were trying to achieve?

Cheers,
    -Todd

Screenshots also at different time stamps:

upload_2019-10-30_12-3-4.png

upload_2019-10-30_12-3-29.png

upload_2019-10-30_12-3-59.png

20. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

@SelfAvenger
    I was once thinking about creating Component with the bone armature structure for direct light in real time corresponding degree movement do to with where the pivot is in world space... (I hope this can be crafted with Bolt asset)
    But then I was wondering; this asset is gonna be retarded from a beauty, prospective, for example, Blender Space vfx I could bake better (panorama images) planets on the sphere or comets and other stuff... and export it with all need maps, or other unity asset may evolve over time.
    The only reason I chose this asset was the price, I thought bigger is better

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  21. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

@sekever-n00b ,

I guess at the end of the day it depends what you want to achieve. Ultimately the fidelity you can achieve in blender will be greater than anything in Unity but if you want to have real time interactivity then you're going to want to go with Unity. If you just need a matte painting skybox that is static then go the blender route.

Regarding what you can achieve in bolt I'm not sure. I think if you wanted to animate the movement of the planets then doing animation key frames would probably be the easiest and fastest way to go.

All the best with it though. I'd be curious to see the results :).

Cheers,
    -Todd

22. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

For those interested in the fidelity of the baked planets I've been working on a game called 'Falling Frontier' for a while now. I use baked planets pretty extensively. All 4 trailers on my YouTube channel have examples of the baked planets.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySJdbpGeXCSrisr07rOU_A

An example from the 'Into The Abyss' trailer:

intotheabyss.JPG

Cheers,
    -Todd

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    hopeful likes this.
  23. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi guys - I can't begin to provide apologies enough for the lack of communication and updates to this asset. I have now, finally(!) uploaded a new beta version of the asset for Unity 2018.x and 2019.x!

It relies on the "Substance in Unity" asset (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/substance-in-unity-110555) available for free and developed by Allegorithmic so make sure you have that installed.

The path to get the planets to run have been riddled with errors in the substance asset and that asset is still in beta 2 years after it was first introduced to replace procedural materials in Unity. To this date it lacks some features in the API that I would like to use (for example, to be able to get a notification when materials have finished generating so the progressive resolution update could work). I have found it difficult to get the support I needed to get the planets to run and the API documentation for Substance in Unity is nearly non-existent.

Anyhow, I've published the beta version so please give it a try and I hope it works. I will keep an eye out here if you run into any issues (I am ashamed to say months behind on my email unfortunately.) Also there is an update of the Substance plugin to be released soon that will remove a bug that will allow runtime duplication of substance materials so there shouldn't be a a limit then on how many simultaneous planets can be displayed.

@SelfAvenger - the screenshots look awesome! =)

hurleybird, SelfAvenger and hopeful like this.
  24. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Thanks for the hard work @imphenzia.

I'll test it out in 2019.x this weekend and will report back.

Cheers,
    - Todd.

25. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @imphenzia,

I've performed 3 quick tests today in both linear and gamma colour spaces. I received similar results across all 3. The good news is that the textures generate. The bad news I believe the normal maps perhaps aren't generating correctly?

Results below:

2018.4.3f1
    02_2018.4.3f1.JPG

03_2019.2.13.JPG

The substance plugin mentions it had been submitted with 2018.3.14 so i tried that release also
    01_2018.3.14.JPG

Cheers.
    -Todd

26. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi Todd,

Thanks! The normal maps generated by the substance plugin seem inconsistent, I'm not sure why that is. When you switch between Linear and Gamma, ensure that you recreate the planet or manually switch the shader on the planet between the Linear and Gamma versions of the shader.

I was previously storing normal maps in the green and alpha channels (I believe that was the standard at some point because the green and alpha channel used less compression) - but I struggle to find the correct output settings in substance designer to match the substance plugin. I switched the shaders to use Red and Green channels instead and then all planets rendered correctly on my system without the normal map banding.

Could you confirm about the shader your project use and recreate the planets to confirm? Also, please try the DemoScene and press play to generate some planets during run time, do they suffer from the normal banding too?

I can also try to force the outputs in substance designer instead of outputting the normal map maybe, I will try that.

27. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @imphenzia,

Thanks for the tips. I've narrowed down the issue to the Gamma colour space it seems.

I did a couple of tests in 2019.2. I loaded a JSON from a planet I had previously saved (Left) and also generated a new dust planet (Right). The below is a picture of being in the Gamma colour space and just generating the textures. Both shaders for the planets are 'SolidPlanetGamma'. As you can see they look a bit off.

capture01.JPG

After I change the colour space to Linear and manually update the shaders to use the 'SolidPlanetLinear' all of the normal mapping issues disappear however the planets are very light and bright which is probably just the colour space?

capture02.JPG

The interesting thing is if I change the colour space back to Gamma without updating the shaders it restores the colours to what I'd expect.

capture03.JPG

Updating the shaders back to 'SolidPlanetGamma' then produces the same issue as the first picture.

So long story short I get the desired colour output if i change the colour space and shaders from Gamma to Linear and then change the colour space back to Gamma but leave the shaders in Linear. This of course means I can't make any changes to the planets.

Also the demo scene worked fine.

Hope that helps you track down the issues.

Cheers,
    -Todd

imphenzia likes this.
  28. imphenzia

imphenzia

Thanks Todd, I appreciate the details, testing and reporting! I will have another look at it tonight to see if I can get a consistent behavior of the normal maps between the two color spaces.

29. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Happy to help,

Let me know if you need me to test any specific cases.

Cheers,

-Todd

30. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

@imphenzia
    if there is no control what is under the hood, like some asset are filter forge compatible, then it can be only game ok planets. Another thing on top of a lot of issues is continent size method is the worst can I ever expect. + performance for that because if can be baked into pano
    Here is a only basic prototyping (on the fly generated) in blender, not even textured yet, and it can be pano baked and than used in Space graphic tools which you know how and fast it might be Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

31. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @imphenzia,

Also something i forgot to mention regarding the normal mapping issues is that all of the 3 gas giant variants seemed to generate correctly so it was only the other planet planet types that were impacted by the Gamma colour space issue.

Cheers,
    -Todd

32. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi, what do those planets look like when you zoom closer to look at the shorelines? Also, are the north/south poles rendering correctly?

33. imphenzia

imphenzia

Thanks. I have just submitted a new version that should work in gamma too for the solid planets.

34. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Awesome,

I'll try it out later today and get back to you.

Cheers,
    -Todd

35. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @imphenzia,

I did some quick testing with solid planet types and they seem to be working.

updatedPlanets01.JPG

Although there's no normal issues with the gas planet types I did notice just now that the output is different from the old to new version. I used a JSON i had saved for a gas giant type.

The first picture below is from the old version of procedural planets

gas_old.JPG

The below is the updated version using the same JSON file.

gas_new.JPG

The above was all tested in gamma colour space. When I get more time i'll confirm the results are the same in Linear colour space.

Cheers,

-Todd

36. Ivam

Ivam

Hello,

Does this asset work with Unity 2019.3?
    I just bought this asset and I'm not getting the expected quality

upload_2019-12-1_18-51-28.png
    upload_2019-12-1_18-52-43.png

37. imphenzia

imphenzia

Hi, I haven't tested it in Beta versions of Unity yet as the Substance Asset and it's development in relation to Unity has been somewhat shaky to say the least. When it comes to the quality, it could be that quite a few number of planets look less spectacular than others due to the randomness. For lava planets you may want to consider adding post processing bloom effect to get the lava to glow.

If you keep producing random planets, are all of them below expectations?

Best regards,
    Stefan / Imphenzia

38. Ivam

Ivam

Not all, but most of them. I think is a problem with the light, but I'm not sure.

39. imphenzia

imphenzia

Try to move the light source (the Procedural Planet dedicated one) in the scene. Also, the planets usually look better with sharper shading between night/day side in Linear Color Space instead of Gamma.

40. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @Ivam,

I just did some testing in 2019.3. Below are a couple of results.

2019.3.JPG

After initially getting Procedural Planets a while back it took me a little time to understand what I'd expect to get from each biome type. Specifically from a colour variation output. I encourage you to do some testing with each biome and the balance of each together to see what results you get. From there you can start to easily form a planet that meets your requirements.

I've personally found that the random planet generation is a great starting point but seeing as though I've baked my textures in the past i haven't really relied on it to create procedurally generated planets on the fly.

@imphenzia might be able to clarify this but my understanding is that once you've found a planet type you like you can then save that as a blueprint. Then using that blueprint going forwards you'll be able to generate planets within a variance that suits your visual requirements. @imphenzia please correct me if i'm wrong about that.

Cheers,
    -Todd

41. Ivam

Ivam

I'm using linear color space. And 2048x2048 resolution.

This for example. Seed 217277063

upload_2019-12-2_20-9-27.png

The planet looks different from @SelfAvenger ones. Where is the atmosphere fresnel? Why the planet seems to have low resolution?

Or this. Seed 474525795

upload_2019-12-2_20-14-1.png

why is it so pixelated?

Sometimes... 1 of 20 look acceptable. seed 211388294

upload_2019-12-2_20-26-1.png

But all of them seems to have artifacts when you zoom them. Seed 1647391905
    upload_2019-12-2_20-32-18.png

42. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @Ivam,

The first thing I should say is that the planets I showed were edited heavily post random generation. I updated the biomes for each planet and then altered the colour saturation/variance/composition settings etc.

In terms of the texture resolution you can define this in the planet manager. From memory you can also set an LOD which i think applies to the textures as well as the planet mesh.

Regarding the artifacts. That looks like the bump map to me. For the 2nd and 4th pictures what is the bump/roughness set to for the planets?

Last thing, What kind of planet are you wanting to achieve? If you can outline a specific type I might be able to point you in the right direction in terms of setup. I found picking a single planet to work towards and then adjusting all of the planet settings allowed me to figure out how all of the settings work. As i mentioned in my previous post I didn't really find generating a planet from the base blueprints produced the exact look I was after so I would alter them post primary generation which makes sense as the base blueprints are just archetypes.

Cheers,

-Todd

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  43. roughninjaguy

roughninjaguy

Hello. I am happy to see the software is being updated. Just a question, is it possible to export the textures generated to be used outside of unity? say in blender?

44. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @roughninjaguy,

You can bake the textures and for a standard planet they are output as around 14 textures. You possibly could use them externally in blender however I've never tried it myself . I think it would be rather complicated to setup the texture nodes as there's lots of blending and texture loops to create what you see in the procedural planet output. Essentially the output of the textures is not a single albedo, specular, roughness, normal etc. It doesn't work like that.

If you plan to use this asset in Unity then it's great but if you're only wanting it for blender then I honestly think it would be more time and cost effective to grab a satellite images and blend them how you would like using an imaging editing program.

Cheers,
    -Todd

roughninjaguy likes this.
  45. roughninjaguy

roughninjaguy

Hi @SelfAvenger

Thank you for the explanation on the textures and how it works. I was wondering how it works. looks like its more complicated. I haven't purchased the asset yet, was thinking to but not for gaming, just rendering still images. I wonder if we can add nebula and stars together as background?

46. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @roughninjaguy,

Not a problem. Happy to try and help. If you're wanting to create high quality procedural stills the author of Procedural Planets has a stand alone application called space fabricator. It creates still images of 8192 x 8192 and allows you to include a transparency channel so would work well for compositing the output in another application. Link to it is below, check it out to see if it's what you're looking for.

https://www.imphenzia.com/space-fabricator

In terms of stars and nebula one of the best ways I've found to do those for either a still or a cinematic is to us a freeze frame from an ink drop and then go to town on it in a compositing program like After Effects. Example of effect is below. It's from a cinematic I've been working on.

nebula2.JPG

I use @imphenzia procedural planets pretty heavily in the game I'm working on. If you're interested in checking my use and implementation of them a link to my YouTube channel is below. Currently there are 4 game play trailers there and one cinematic trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySJdbpGeXCSrisr07rOU_A

Hope some of this helps?

Cheers,
    -Todd

roughninjaguy and hopeful like this.
  47. roughninjaguy

roughninjaguy

thank you again @SelfAvenger for the details. The picture you posted above, its beautiful. i am no expert in 2d art most of my stuffs are all done using 3d blender, and other 3d program For the picture above, how do you do it? is it render in unity or photoshop or after effect? id love some step by step.

48. SelfAvenger

SelfAvenger

Hi @roughninjaguy,

Thanks for the kind words. The still was from an animation sequence made in After Effects. As this thread though is focused around the procedural planets asset by @imphenzia you can e-mail me at stutterfoxstudios@gmail.com and I'll try to give you some guidance on how you can perhaps achieve something similar.

Cheers,
    -Todd

roughninjaguy likes this.
  49. roughninjaguy

roughninjaguy

Thank you @SelfAvenger

after looking at after effects software price, I think I would stay away from that. also staying away from photoshop due to monthly/annual pricing too high for my hobbyist activity. I still consider this procedural planet by imphenzia. maybe I try to do it all in here.

50. roughninjaguy

roughninjaguy

but that planet and nebula is crazy awesome looking. are the nebulas procedurally generated, or you create yourself?

unityunity